Completed SFFtime presents: P-ATX v2 - 10 L case with improved ATX, AIO and 3-slot support!

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
I just want to mention something I didn't in the compatibility guide.

The gpu mounting points are on "rails" so you can slide the gpu around. This allows for two things, one is allowing slightly thicker than 2-slot gpu's with ATX board (something like new evga xc3 or gigabyte's gaming oc line, up to around 50 mm) if they are low enough, let's say reference height though it depends on pci-e slot position.

Second, you can put your gpu in a better position for balance between direct access to air and turbulence if you have something like 2.5-2.75 slot gpu with itx board.

Last edited:
Reactions: def and Fa5en

Carvid

Cable Smoosher
Sep 1, 2020
First build complete, fans still to be replaced, cable management sorted and a shiny new 3000 series GPU but that's it for now!

X570 Phantom ITX-Gaming
Ryzen 3700X with Thermaltake AXP-100 Full Copper
RTX 2060
Corsair Vengeance 2x16Gb 3600Mhz
Corsair SF600
1Tb SSD + 10Tb HDD

Reactions: Fa5en and riba2233

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
First build complete, fans still to be replaced, cable management sorted and a shiny new 3000 series GPU but that's it for now!

X570 Phantom ITX-Gaming
Ryzen 3700X with Thermaltake AXP-100 Full Copper
RTX 2060
Corsair Vengeance 2x16Gb 3600Mhz
Corsair SF600
1Tb SSD + 10Tb HDD

Really excited to see first pictures of build in V2 :)

Can I just ask you for some feedback?

1. how was the build process, did you have any trouble and was manual understandable?
2. how are you satisfied with the build quality?
3. how are thermals with that cooler, I am very eager to hear more about it since I also have an eye on it (and also have a 3700x) and it's the highest cooler that fits the V2. Do you have any clearance issues (does it touch the panel) and how is the turbulence?
4. I see you had to use the alternative AC cable mounting, everything ok with that?
5. what gpu model you plan on getting?
6. how is the VRM situation, I see you had to remove some coolers on the motherboard. I guess this motherboard does not allow for too many orientations with this cooler, even though it has intel mount
7. does HDD transfer some vibrations to the case?

Thank you in advance for the answers, it would mean a lot to me and especially since you have some interesting components.

Carvid

Cable Smoosher
Sep 1, 2020
1. how was the build process, did you have any trouble and was manual understandable?
Manual was great - the only thing I found tricky was not realising the 3 different screw types as they're very similar but it was nothing major.

Build quality overall is great, I felt a little unsure attaching the stand at the bottom but the tolerances were spot on and it's actually easy to remove once you're comfortable with it. 1 of the under side vent cuts has a slight "bend" from manufacturing but it's underneath the stand so it's only noticeable if you know where to look and turn it upside down

3. how are thermals with that cooler, I am very eager to hear more about it since I also have an eye on it (and also have a 3700x) and it's the highest cooler that fits the V2. Do you have any clearance issues (does it touch the panel) and how is the turbulence?
Yesterday the thermals were fine, around 85 on synthetic load, I've switched the fan around since that photo but I think my mount is bad as yesterday it was staying c. 65c gaming, 85c on load but today ramped up to 95 so i'll need to take it off and re-mount. The cooler is VERY close to touching the side panel (may even be resting on it gently) but I could change out the fan screws for flat heads and clearance would be spot on.

4. I see you had to use the alternative AC cable mounting, everything ok with that?
Worked like a treat - I would have preferred leaving it not to need to use it but needs must when you're mashing that much cooler into the space, I may be able to re-orient the cooler to allow it to go internal I just need to have a little play around.

I was hoping to go for the founders RTX 3080 however not sure the rear fan model will work well so probably get a 3rd party variant.

6. how is the VRM situation, I see you had to remove some coolers on the motherboard. I guess this motherboard does not allow for too many orientations with this cooler, even though it has intel mount
Once again the cooler getting in the way of things, it's not the best board for it and there's definitely better alternatives but it's what I had on hand, had to remove all of the VRM cooling (stuck some basic heatsinks on them) but could probably re-attach the plate next to the rear IO if I change the cooler orientation.

Yea it does feedback a little vibration so will need to add some sort of anti vibration pads at some point.

Reactions: riba2233

Fa5en

Trash Compacter
Jan 22, 2020
Answer 1-7: Not there yet ?
But my initial thoughts on build quality is that its very good. Perhabs the parts that are inside the case during shipping could be secured a bit better? I know things gets thrown around during shipping (and not in a good way). So perhabs a tiny amount of foam inside during shipping?

• Haha

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Manual was great - the only thing I found tricky was not realising the 3 different screw types as they're very similar but it was nothing major.

Build quality overall is great, I felt a little unsure attaching the stand at the bottom but the tolerances were spot on and it's actually easy to remove once you're comfortable with it. 1 of the under side vent cuts has a slight "bend" from manufacturing but it's underneath the stand so it's only noticeable if you know where to look and turn it upside down

Yesterday the thermals were fine, around 85 on synthetic load, I've switched the fan around since that photo but I think my mount is bad as yesterday it was staying c. 65c gaming, 85c on load but today ramped up to 95 so i'll need to take it off and re-mount. The cooler is VERY close to touching the side panel (may even be resting on it gently) but I could change out the fan screws for flat heads and clearance would be spot on.

Worked like a treat - I would have preferred leaving it not to need to use it but needs must when you're mashing that much cooler into the space, I may be able to re-orient the cooler to allow it to go internal I just need to have a little play around.

I was hoping to go for the founders RTX 3080 however not sure the rear fan model will work well so probably get a 3rd party variant.

Once again the cooler getting in the way of things, it's not the best board for it and there's definitely better alternatives but it's what I had on hand, had to remove all of the VRM cooling (stuck some basic heatsinks on them) but could probably re-attach the plate next to the rear IO if I change the cooler orientation.

Yea it does feedback a little vibration so will need to add some sort of anti vibration pads at some point.

Thank you a lot for the answers! Please keep us posted on apx-100 :) I guess it could perform a bit better with ATX board since it would have less exhaust restriction in that case.

Regarding 3080 you are right, the hdd could block the airflow on the fe version, so I would look at exga xc3 or some other aib 2-slot card.

Answer 1-7: Not there yet ?
But my initial thoughts on build quality is that its very good. Perhaps the parts that are inside the case during shipping could be secured a bit better? I know things gets thrown around during shipping (and not in a good way). So perhaps a tiny amount of foam inside during shipping?

Hehe don't worry, you will get there, can't wait to hear your feedback ?

You are right, I will think about the solution for that.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Some good soul (thank you a lot if you are reading this) put 3080 and 3090 models on grabcad, so I made some renders with 3080 (will make some with 3090 for tomorrow), enjoy :)

Last edited:

Carvid

Cable Smoosher
Sep 1, 2020
Oh wow I'm such an idiot - I completely forgot the rear fan is at the right hand side of the card... would have helped if I checked that earlier.

I think there will be plenty airflow even with HDD installed to be honest.

Back to ordering FE for me it is!

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Oh wow I'm such an idiot - I completely forgot the rear fan is at the right hand side of the card... would have helped if I checked that earlier.

I think there will be plenty airflow even with HDD installed to be honest.

Back to ordering FE for me it is!

Haha don't worry :)

You can add some 60x25mm fans at the bottom to help with exhaust if the hdd blocks too much or you don't want to heat it, I don't know if they mind the extra heat.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Ok so this is interesting:

So on the real picture it looks like the tri-fan card is slightly wider than 2-slot, but on the render it looks like true two slot.
But the angle on the picture is kind of weird, you can't really tell.

Now, I really don't get cards that are just slightly wider than 2 slot (like 2.1 and 2.2). They don't gain anything in terms of cooling, but loose a lot in terms of compatibility.

I can think of two reasons on why manufacturers would do something like that. 1. they don't want you to put another pci card next to it so you don't block the fans
2. they know that most sff cases are 2-slot and have shitty case ventilation, so they want to discourage installing them into such cases.

Luckily this wont be a problem for P-ATX V2 since there is some extra room to work with, but still, I would prefer pure 2-slot. It is already tall and very long.

With that said, I like how the card looks, and I think that the cooler will be good unless they mess something up with contact between chip and cooler (remember radeon VII? yeah...)

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
I would also like to shout out Tech Buyer's Guru on youtube, he released an awesome review of sub 60mm coolers:

Not only is this relevant for this case, but he also has excellent methodology (idle with min rpm, noise normalized and full blast) and great video format and presentation. I can't imagine this review being any better (ok, as he mentioned it misses C7 and APX90, but you can't have them all).

So I suggest that everyone takes a look, it even has timestamps :)

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
As promised, renders with RTX3090 (please note that the actual card will be bigger IRL, it is around 20mm shorter and 10mm lower for some reason):

I have watched RTX3080 reviews, and the performance in games is lower than I expected. There are some exceptions like doom eternal, but it's clear that the new architecture is optimized for compute. But who knows, maybe the future games are going to utilize it better. Now I really can't wait for big navi reviews!

But, I must say that I am impressed with the 3080 FE cooler. I mean, it is only 2-slot, reference height, 285mm in length, and it cools 320W card with 40db at 76C? Now that is really brutal. Also it heats system components less then typical axial card, contrary to what everyone expected. I guess that the new airflow path is pretty clever, since it has benefits of both blower style and open-air.

And the price is not bad, although GPU-pricing could be less in general.

Oh and that 1.9x better perf. per watt claim turned out to be a blatant lie, which is kind of disappointing.

EDIT: Just saw these leaked pictures of 6900XT, and forget about it being even close to 2-slot:

But that 2-fan design looks like 2-slot on the renders, but we have to wait to see for sure.

Guess we have to live with 300+ W TDP for new high performance GPU's and cases will good ventilation will be necessary.

EDIT2: And of course PCI-e gen3 is still plenty, as I suspected:

Last edited:
Reactions: Intrepid_Cosmonaut

Carvid

Cable Smoosher
Sep 1, 2020
Just FYI - I re-mounted the AXP-100 and temps are much better, pretty great for this form factor i'd say? Also removed the rounded screws and replaced them for the smaller in fan flat head screws as well to sort it touching the side panel.

HWMonitor
TMPIN0 48
TMPIN1 52
TMPIN2 77
CPU 66

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Just FYI - I re-mounted the AXP-100 and temps are much better, pretty great for this form factor i'd say? Also removed the rounded screws and replaced them for the smaller in fan flat head screws as well to sort it touching the side panel.

HWMonitor
TMPIN0 48
TMPIN1 52
TMPIN2 77
CPU 66

That sounds great, what orientation did you end up with? And just to confirm your 3700x is running stock, without eco mode?

Carvid

Cable Smoosher
Sep 1, 2020
The same orientation as in the photo, I thought I could flip it 180 but it didn't feel right even with the Corsair LPX ram, you would need to install RAM with no heat spreaders for it to fit the other way comfortably. Yes 3700x stock non-eco.