Completed SFFtime presents: P-ATX v2 - 10 L case with improved ATX, AIO and 3-slot support!

kazuma86

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 12, 2020
Hi, thank you! I must admit that I didn't quite get you about the stand, could you maybe draw it in paint or maybe explain it in more detail?

You may try like this

Light box in the bottom can be stand..

Retrias

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 28, 2018
That is reserved for new model, N-ATX, which is coming after this batch of P-ATX! It will be 20 mm wider, and bit longer and taller, 14 L in volume. An will have some interesting hardware configurations so stay tuned :)
Thank you very much for the answer, very much would be waiting for that one

M-jeri

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 20, 2016
2. I'm not sure if I understand you 100%. Stand is removable of course, could you maybe describe in more detail on how you picture the stand?

A removable stand that allows horizontal and vertical position(elevated stance).

This is close to what i was thinking in horizontal. Cryorig taku. But more nearer to the edge. and that can be used in horizontal position as well.

For a partial example:
I am not suggesting this manner of top and part, just a single part design. But take a look at the stand part. But instead of angle in, it can angle out perhaps?.

Minimal like this.

Does any of this make sense?

Reactions: 80ti and riba2233

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
A removable stand that allows horizontal and vertical position(elevated stance).

This is close to what i was thinking in horizontal. Cryorig taku. But more nearer to the edge. and that can be used in horizontal position as well.

For a partial example:
I am not suggesting this manner of top and part, just a single part design. But take a look at the stand part. But instead of angle in, it can angle out perhaps?.

Minimal like this.

Does any of this make sense?

Ok I see it. I will consider it for future revisions, but current design is something that ticks most of my boxes while being elegant, really easy to mount and not impossible to manufacture (at least currently, I may have some more options if I grow).

So my design goal was to have a stand that looks elegant and minimalist, almost as if it wasn't there. That's why I have the flat bottom plate which provides nice stability, and legs as small as possible. One of ideas was to have the bottom plate, and then two pieces of acrylic for legs, so it looks like the case is floating in the air.

Reactions: M-jeri

Neldum

Cable Smoosher
Jul 17, 2020
I've been searching all over for a case that is compact enough and can handle everything I want to put in it. This v2 looks to check all the boxes. Any idea on a rough time frame when they will be available for sale? (or even pre-order?) Thanks!

Reactions: riba2233

Moongata

Efficiency Noob
Jan 22, 2020
The V2 looks great! Will it be possible to fit a 3.5" HDD behind a 2-slot GPU? There was not enough clearance in the V1 to do this. I'm hoping that the increase in width of the V2 will allow the HDD to fit.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
I've been searching all over for a case that is compact enough and can handle everything I want to put in it. This v2 looks to check all the boxes. Any idea on a rough time frame when they will be available for sale? (or even pre-order?) Thanks!

Hi, thanks, I'm really glad that you like it! I tried to make the layout that really makes sense and doesn't waste any space, so I hope that it will fit many people's needs :)

I am currently really satisfied with the progress for the next batch, and I am really pushing to have it rolled out as soon as possible. I can't tell any date for sure, but something in a few weeks range.

The V2 looks great! Will it be possible to fit a 3.5" HDD behind a 2-slot GPU? There was not enough clearance in the V1 to do this. I'm hoping that the increase in width of the V2 will allow the HDD to fit.

Thank you lot :) Yes, absolutely! That is also one of the benefits of the wider chassis.

Reactions: Moongata and Neldum

Scott

Caliper Novice
Nov 29, 2016
Have you looked at the possibility of providing a single-slot PCIe cutout above the motherboard IO or a low profile cutout on the first slot above the graphics card like on the HDPLEX H5? Given that one of the draws of ATX is the availability of many expansion slots, it would be nice to have the option to install more than just a graphics card. I don't know if your dimensions allow for both of these, but having more options for PCIe Expansions in the same space would be a nice-to-have. The slot above the motherboard IO would require a riser and limit space for cooling, but I would like to have the option to install something there if it fits.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Have you looked at the possibility of providing a single-slot PCIe cutout above the motherboard IO or a low profile cutout on the first slot above the graphics card like on the HDPLEX H5? Given that one of the draws of ATX is the availability of many expansion slots, it would be nice to have the option to install more than just a graphics card. I don't know if your dimensions allow for both of these, but having more options for PCIe Expansions in the same space would be a nice-to-have. The slot above the motherboard IO would require a riser and limit space for cooling, but I would like to have the option to install something there if it fits.

Hi, thank you for the feedback!

Yes, I have thought about it, but it would be too tight on this model and potentially bad for structural integrity. I am planning on putting something like that on larger model, N-ATX.

Reactions: Soul_Est

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
If someone can link me where to find models of new rtx3080 cards I would be very grateful! If they can even be obtained ofc, I have seen few renders online but not sure if anyone has shared models.

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
I think this revision is looking very promising, seems like there's a lot of improvements all round, here are some of my thoughts/comments:

1. Overall Size Increase: This doesn't bother me too much, and leads to improvements in other areas, so I think this is a worthy trade off (and at 10L the case still remains relatively compact compared to other vertical console style cases)

2. Changes to the contruction and front panel materials this is overall a step forward. Not so much the mask/inner chasis, since the V1 aluminium chasis already is pretty sturdy, and improvements in this area (while welcome) is a small imcremental improvements I think). I think the more important upgrade is the thicker gauge side panels and improved mounting.

While I certainly didn't have too many issues with the V1 panels, the way they mount to the case with only 1 screw could certainly use some improvements (especially for people whose use case involves moving the case around, potentially in backpacks/suitcases where the side panels would be liable to be jolted around/bent due to insufficient padding). I think I did make some feedback about this in the V1 thread so it's really nice to see improvements here.

The only drawback from going with a steel mask would be the increase in weight, so this might be a potential drawback for people who move their cases around a lot, for everyone else, this just means the case now would probably feel more sturdy and 'weighty', so probably not a major issue for most people.

I'm not particularly into wood or acrylic panelling, but having more options is always nice.

3. The new vent pattern does look nice. Combined with the thicker gauge panel, this should mean the side panels will feel more solid (the V1 panels are a bit thin, so the left side panel with lots of cutouts does feel a bit delicate to handle, not a problem once it's assembled to the case, but I always feel I should be careful when installing/removing the left side panel.

Regarding the right side panel: Have you decided to do away with the vent cut-out for rear-mounted M.2 SSDs? I thought this was a smart and well thought-out details on the V1, so this feature not making it to V2 puzzles me. Would it cost too much to have the M.2 cutout added back?

As for the USB ports, ideally I would prefer to have it on the front, but as long as I do have access to front I/O, I don't mind too much if it's on the side. This is purely personal preference.

4. Board compatibility: Basically like V1 but with a bit more room for manoeuvering, seems like a good incremental improvement, I don't have much to comment on this since my primary would be to use ITX board.

5. Regarding GPU/Riser, having a more sturdy riser is an excellent improvement. This was a major weak point in V1, my riser had the retention rivets come loose on the motherboard-facing side, exposing the ribbon. I had to add some epoxy to hold the PCB in place (replacement riser was provided free of charge, but having a better riser as stock is good!)

6. CPU cooler height is a flat upgrade compared to V1. 59mm height opens up some very competent coolers to be used such as the IDCooling IS60 or the Scythe Shuriken 2 (not to be confused with Big Shuriken 2).

7. PSU mounting is also a flat upgrade. The new direction-agnostic PSU mounting will solve the issue in V1 where users of Corsair PSUs had to cut the strain relief on the stock cable to allow it to fit.

8. HDD mounting is not relevant for my own use cases for SFF systems, so this doesn't really affect me. Might be a good thing for people who wants to have lots of drive to store media in their system (maybe for HTPC)

9. Pricing increase is a bummer, but as long as quality control/attention to detail can remain as good as before or better, then I think that would justify the additional cost (getting a more reliable/durable PCIe riser alone would probably be worth the cost for some)

So overall I am pretty positive about V2, looks like you have incorporated lots of feedback from V1 and made very good improvements. My only concerns/feedback is about the lack of M.2 vent holes on the back of the motherboard (this is a regression from V1) and I am not really taken with the new style of case stand. I know the V1 stand had some issue (it didn't positively attach to the case, so it's kinda wobbly if you accidentally bump into it), but I don't really like the case stand as it is currently, it looks a bit too much like the case is standing on stilts. V1 stand had a really nice aesthetic design, I really like the angled legs and thought it fit well with the SFFTime logo, with the 60 degree angled strokes. The new case IMO is an aesthetic downgrade (probably just my personal preference, but I'd like to see maybe some alternate version of this new stand but incorporating more oblique angles like the V1 legs)

P/S I don't see too many mentions of exhaust fans/cooling. Can we still install fans to the roof for exhausting the hot air and improve circulation near the motherboard VRMs? In the V1 case I think this helps a lot. Will roof fan mounts make a comeback in V2 (more importantly, as the case is now a little bit wider, is there enough space now to mount 70/80mm fans instead of just 60mm like V1 case?)

HYPERBOLOCO

Trash Compacter
Sep 27, 2015
Is there still room for 40mm fans in the top? Alphacool just released their new server AIO kits and the ES Pro 1U looks interesting.

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Is there still room for 40mm fans in the top? Alphacool just released their new server AIO kits and the ES Pro 1U looks interesting.

That's what I just asked, so I guess we wait for Riba to get back on this. Also the V1 supported 60x25mm fans, not 40mm (though I suppose nothing is stopping you using 40mm fans if you really wanted to).

40mm radiator will absolutely NOT fit, not in the V1 nor V2. Have you seen those things and how thick they are??? There is no realistic scenario where you're fitting that in the top. There's only just enough room for 25mm thick fans as it is...

Also, what's the point of using that tiny 40mm radiator? You're almost certainly going to have a better experience with a simple 120mm radiator (or AIO)

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
This actually much better compared to the V1 design , Great job, look way more polished

Thank you, that was my goal and I'm glad I got it right!

I think this revision is looking very promising, seems like there's a lot of improvements all round, here are some of my thoughts/comments:

1. Overall Size Increase: This doesn't bother me too much, and leads to improvements in other areas, so I think this is a worthy trade off (and at 10L the case still remains relatively compact compared to other vertical console style cases)

2. Changes to the contruction and front panel materials this is overall a step forward. Not so much the mask/inner chasis, since the V1 aluminium chasis already is pretty sturdy, and improvements in this area (while welcome) is a small imcremental improvements I think). I think the more important upgrade is the thicker gauge side panels and improved mounting.

While I certainly didn't have too many issues with the V1 panels, the way they mount to the case with only 1 screw could certainly use some improvements (especially for people whose use case involves moving the case around, potentially in backpacks/suitcases where the side panels would be liable to be jolted around/bent due to insufficient padding). I think I did make some feedback about this in the V1 thread so it's really nice to see improvements here.

The only drawback from going with a steel mask would be the increase in weight, so this might be a potential drawback for people who move their cases around a lot, for everyone else, this just means the case now would probably feel more sturdy and 'weighty', so probably not a major issue for most people.

I'm not particularly into wood or acrylic panelling, but having more options is always nice.

3. The new vent pattern does look nice. Combined with the thicker gauge panel, this should mean the side panels will feel more solid (the V1 panels are a bit thin, so the left side panel with lots of cutouts does feel a bit delicate to handle, not a problem once it's assembled to the case, but I always feel I should be careful when installing/removing the left side panel.

Regarding the right side panel: Have you decided to do away with the vent cut-out for rear-mounted M.2 SSDs? I thought this was a smart and well thought-out details on the V1, so this feature not making it to V2 puzzles me. Would it cost too much to have the M.2 cutout added back?

As for the USB ports, ideally I would prefer to have it on the front, but as long as I do have access to front I/O, I don't mind too much if it's on the side. This is purely personal preference.

4. Board compatibility: Basically like V1 but with a bit more room for manoeuvering, seems like a good incremental improvement, I don't have much to comment on this since my primary would be to use ITX board.

5. Regarding GPU/Riser, having a more sturdy riser is an excellent improvement. This was a major weak point in V1, my riser had the retention rivets come loose on the motherboard-facing side, exposing the ribbon. I had to add some epoxy to hold the PCB in place (replacement riser was provided free of charge, but having a better riser as stock is good!)

6. CPU cooler height is a flat upgrade compared to V1. 59mm height opens up some very competent coolers to be used such as the IDCooling IS60 or the Scythe Shuriken 2 (not to be confused with Big Shuriken 2).

7. PSU mounting is also a flat upgrade. The new direction-agnostic PSU mounting will solve the issue in V1 where users of Corsair PSUs had to cut the strain relief on the stock cable to allow it to fit.

8. HDD mounting is not relevant for my own use cases for SFF systems, so this doesn't really affect me. Might be a good thing for people who wants to have lots of drive to store media in their system (maybe for HTPC)

9. Pricing increase is a bummer, but as long as quality control/attention to detail can remain as good as before or better, then I think that would justify the additional cost (getting a more reliable/durable PCIe riser alone would probably be worth the cost for some)

So overall I am pretty positive about V2, looks like you have incorporated lots of feedback from V1 and made very good improvements. My only concerns/feedback is about the lack of M.2 vent holes on the back of the motherboard (this is a regression from V1) and I am not really taken with the new style of case stand. I know the V1 stand had some issue (it didn't positively attach to the case, so it's kinda wobbly if you accidentally bump into it), but I don't really like the case stand as it is currently, it looks a bit too much like the case is standing on stilts. V1 stand had a really nice aesthetic design, I really like the angled legs and thought it fit well with the SFFTime logo, with the 60 degree angled strokes. The new case IMO is an aesthetic downgrade (probably just my personal preference, but I'd like to see maybe some alternate version of this new stand but incorporating more oblique angles like the V1 legs)

P/S I don't see too many mentions of exhaust fans/cooling. Can we still install fans to the roof for exhausting the hot air and improve circulation near the motherboard VRMs? In the V1 case I think this helps a lot. Will roof fan mounts make a comeback in V2 (more importantly, as the case is now a little bit wider, is there enough space now to mount 70/80mm fans instead of just 60mm like V1 case?)

Thank you for this awesome post, you summarized it very nicely and I agree with you on most points.

I removed the M.2 ventilation for the design purposes, it was really out of place and non-symmetrical. But now you have the option to use some kind of thermal pad so that the case acts as a heatsink.

Regarding fans, I sacrificed some space for the top fans to allow for higher GPU's which I think will benefit more people. I have spaced the ventilation holes on top and bottom to match the spacing for 60mm fans, so you can install 10mm thick fans on the top and 20-25 on the bottom (depending on gpu position). Ventilation holes are around 6 mm wide so you will need some washers or fan screws with bit wider head. Or those rubber mounts.

See the answer above regarding fans, but I doubt that you could fit that aio, it looks to thick. You would be better with 120mm aio and some gpu that will fit or even 92 mm aio.