Completed SFFtime presents: P-ATX v2 - 10 L case with improved ATX, AIO and 3-slot support!

HYPERBOLOCO

Trash Compacter
Sep 27, 2015
See the answer above regarding fans, but I doubt that you could fit that aio, it looks to thick. You would be better with 120mm aio and some gpu that will fit or even 92 mm aio.

It would allow for the use of the 3.5" HDD slots. They custom measure the tube length for each system so the pump can be position differently.

Moongata

Efficiency Noob
Jan 22, 2020
With a shorter, 2-slot GPU, can you mount a 120MM AIO next to the GPU, and a 3.5" HDD behind the GPU? I'm not seeing any HDD mounting holes behind the GPU.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
It would allow for the use of the 3.5" HDD slots. They custom measure the tube length for each system so the pump can be position differently.

I just checked their website and I would really advise against even considering it, it is very expensive, it relies on 12000 rpm fans and even if it would fit (which I doubt due to the lack of width) it would severely limit cpu block, vrm heatsink and ram clearance.

If you really want to have both 3.5" drive and 120 mm aio, please take a look at the solution below.

With a shorter, 2-slot GPU, can you mount a 120MM AIO next to the GPU, and a 3.5" HDD behind the GPU? I'm not seeing any HDD mounting holes behind the GPU.

Yes, there is now enough space behind gpu to mount 3.5" drive, but it's not official so you'll have to either drill one extra hole or use some double sided tape. Here is the render with drive aligned so that one hole matches:

Looks way better than V1. I'm getting a Death Star vibe with those side panel vents: ?

Oh thanks, I also like that Star Wars aesthetics and especially those vents, so I'm happy with that comparison ?

Moongata

Efficiency Noob
Jan 22, 2020
Yes, there is now enough space behind gpu to mount 3.5" drive, but it's not official so you'll have to either drill one extra hole or use some double sided tape. Here is the render with drive aligned so that one hole matches:

Thanks for the confirmation! How much space (mm) is there between the 2-slot GPU and the back of the chassis? There needs to be enough space to accommodate the 3.5" HDD (~26mm) and the riser cable (~1mm) without putting pressure in the back of the GPU for this method to work long term.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Thanks for the confirmation! How much space (mm) is there between the 2-slot GPU and the back of the chassis? There needs to be enough space to accommodate the 3.5" HDD (~26mm) and the riser cable (~1mm) without putting pressure in the back of the GPU for this method to work long term.

No problem! There is around 30 mm, maybe a bit more depending on gpu backplate thickness. HDD is 25.4 mm thick, so there is enough space for riser and some to spare.

Reactions: Moongata

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Thank you for this awesome post, you summarized it very nicely and I agree with you on most points.

I removed the M.2 ventilation for the design purposes, it was really out of place and non-symmetrical. But now you have the option to use some kind of thermal pad so that the case acts as a heatsink.

Regarding fans, I sacrificed some space for the top fans to allow for higher GPU's which I think will benefit more people. I have spaced the ventilation holes on top and bottom to match the spacing for 60mm fans, so you can install 10mm thick fans on the top and 20-25 on the bottom (depending on gpu position). Ventilation holes are around 6 mm wide so you will need some washers or fan screws with bit wider head. Or those rubber mounts.

I guess I'm OK with getting a thick thermal pad and interface the M.2 directly to the side panel as a heatsink.

It is a shame about the lack of top fans support though, while Noctua and Noiseblocker makes pretty decent 60x25mm fans, there isn't actually any good options on the PC DIY market for 60x10mm fans. I guess the only choice available would be Sunon/Delta/Sanyo industrial fans. They aren't known for being quiet though :(

With the case being wider, would 70/80mm slim fans work in this space? Is 10mm the max clearance or will 15mm thick fans fit?

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
I guess I'm OK with getting a thick thermal pad and interface the M.2 directly to the side panel as a heatsink.

It is a shame about the lack of top fans support though, while Noctua and Noiseblocker makes pretty decent 60x25mm fans, there isn't actually any good options on the PC DIY market for 60x10mm fans. I guess the only choice available would be Sunon/Delta/Sanyo industrial fans. They aren't known for being quiet though :(

With the case being wider, would 70/80mm slim fans work in this space? Is 10mm the max clearance or will 15mm thick fans fit?

Sunon fans from maglev line are really quiet and have very pleasant sound, here is the example:

There is 74 mm of internal width, but 70mm won't fit because the holes don't go far enough, so 60 mm is largest size that can fit. There is around 13.5 mm of clearance above the motherboard, so 15mm fan could maybe fit if there is nothing on the motherboard near the edge.

But to be honest, my goal is to make a case that doesn't require case fans, the top is ventilated and the VRM heatsinks should be close to the top, and the heat can rise naturally. And also there is very slim chance that you can heat up VRM's that much in this case. But if you have problems with overheating VRM, 60x10 fan would certainly help and the noise shouldn't be the problem since if you are heating VRM's that much, your CPU fan is probably screaming already.

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Wow that's quite the pace you're going at there, didn't quite expect you to already be well into the manufacturing run for V2. It seems in this regard there are even more improvements compared to last time :D

Unfortunately as I have recently donated a lot of my spare SFF parts to my brother to keep his PC going, I don't currently have enough spare parts lying around to even start a build, so I won't be grabbing one of these on launch. There are enough improvements here compared to V1 case though, I will think about getting one some time down the line hopefully.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Wow that's quite the pace you're going at there, didn't quite expect you to already be well into the manufacturing run for V2. It seems in this regard there are even more improvements compared to last time :D

Unfortunately as I have recently donated a lot of my spare SFF parts to my brother to keep his PC going, I don't currently have enough spare parts lying around to even start a build, so I won't be grabbing one of these on launch. There are enough improvements here compared to V1 case though, I will think about getting one some time down the line hopefully.

Thank you, and don't worry, there will always be one unit for you :)

Making rapid progress for sure, looking forward to placing a day one order for P-ATX #2 in my household.

Thanks, I am also looking forward to that ?

Wait, what's in the question mark bag?

Well, it's a bag full of other question marks ?

Jk, it's a small tool that will come with the case, I will show it and explain it soon!

HYPERBOLOCO

Trash Compacter
Sep 27, 2015
Would it be possible to make an acrylic side panel? for purchase separately or a file so we could do it ourselves?

(Also I would take an unpainted case)

Reactions: riba2233

SpringerTheNerd

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 7, 2017
There is a v2!!!?

I'm in my dude!

I'm about to head home from work so I have only skimmed the thread.

I like the new stand, glad there is some more vents for the psu, love the way the top looks, I'm diggin the textured powder coating

Questions:
  • did the added width change the chassis fan compatibility? I believe they where 60mm up top and 40mm down low on v1
  • Did you change the way the side panels mount?
  • Does it still have the two cut outs for liquid cooling tubes?
  • Would you consider a transparent side panel this time?

Reactions: riba2233

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Would it be possible to make an acrylic side panel? for purchase separately or a file so we could do it ourselves?

(Also I would take an unpainted case)

Yes, it will be possible! There are 4 unused threaded holes on each side. I will see if I will do side panels, I'm a bit afraid for shipping them, but I will publish the drawings yeah.

Ok, thank you! Please send me an email on info@sfftime.com so we can arrange that.

There is a v2!!!?

I'm in my dude!

I'm about to head home from work so I have only skimmed the thread.

I like the new stand, glad there is some more vents for the psu, love the way the top looks, I'm diggin the textured powder coating

Questions:
  • did the added width change the chassis fan compatibility? I believe they where 60mm up top and 40mm down low on v1
  • Did you change the way the side panels mount?
  • Does it still have the two cut outs for liquid cooling tubes?
  • Would you consider a transparent side panel this time?

Oh yeah, I was wondering where are you ?

1. Yes I did, there is now less space for the fans on top (up to 10mm thick 60 or 40 mm) but more at bottom (25 mm thick 40 or 60).

2. Yes, absolutely, they mount totally different now, much sturdier.

3. No unfortunately, but I will make cutouts for you, don't worry!

4. Yes I would, I'm just a bit concerned about shipping them, but we'll find a way, if nothing else works I will give you a file which you can send to some local laser or cnc shop.

And don't forget to read the first post when you have time, lots of details there!

SpringerTheNerd

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 7, 2017
don't forget to read the first post when you have time, lots of details there!

Read the First post as well as the rest of the thread and I gotta say I'm super impressed. it is so much more refined. I totally understand being worried about shipping acrylic sheets but as long as there is an easy way to mount it I have no issue with doing it myself! on the original there wasn't a good way to mount up anything other than the panel that came with it

consider me sold already! I'm excited to retire my v1 and make it my new server chassis. I have been looking for a small form factor atx server chassis and it has been right in front of my face the whole time haha