Completed SFFtime presents: P-ATX, the 9L case with ATX and AIO support!

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Ok, so I have finally installed components inside, I couldn't wait for that ?

Here are the pictures:

I'm really impressed with the cooling, still need to try with closed panels, but so far it seems really good. I think I will have to make a better 24 pin cable, this one is really thick lol.

Still waiting for front/top aluminum piece to be CNC'd, hopefully within next week so i can assemble everything together.

Please share your thoughts, thanks :)

MrClippy

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2018
Nice! Everything looks to fit perfectly! But dang the fan is hitting close to max 3000 RPM, must get quite loud.

Also it looks like the AIO tubes are capable of reaching for any angle of the pump block. How do you figure to manage the AIO tubes fitting inside the case?

Last edited:

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Nice! Everything looks to fit perfectly! But dang the fan is hitting close to max 3000 RPM, must get quite loud.

Also it looks like the AIO tubes are capable of reaching for any angle of the pump block. How do you figure to manage the AIO tubes fitting inside the case?

Well the fan has only gone up to 1750 rpm, which is pretty reasonable and not too loud :) Especially if you consider that we are talking about 16 core beast running Prime, which is not real world load.

The other "fan" at 2700 rpm is actually the pump, and it's not making noise at all :)

Yes I have, the lower tube can go over the GPU, and upper tube can go parallel to the PSU. But they can also go over the RAM, there is enough space.

MrClippy

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2018
Well the fan has only gone up to 1750 rpm, which is pretty reasonable and not too loud :) Especially if you consider that we are talking about 16 core beast running Prime, which is not real world load.

The other "fan" at 2700 rpm is actually the pump, and it's not making noise at all :)

Yes I have, the lower tube can go over the GPU, and upper tube can go parallel to the PSU. But they can also go over the RAM, there is enough space.

Ah, I misread. That's rather impressive temps while not at max RPM during a Prime95 test. I'm hoping it doesn't get much louder with say a 2950x or 2970x with PBO (or maybe the later 3970x or 3990x?).

Just realized I have that exact X399 MSI SLI Plus motherboard. Mine came with an adapter for a 120mm fan to go over the motherboard, was wondering if it would you had the same and if it would fit inside this case over the AIO? Also, any chance of adding another slim 15mm x 120mm fan under the radiator for even more airflow :D ? (tis a stretch since a radiator + fan already is ~52mm, another 15mm would be 67mm)

Last edited:

MrClippy

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2018
So after doing some rough playing around with dimensions with a software used for work, I've become even more ecstatic about this case. I currently possess a Salvo S401, and it seems the P-ATX case is only a little bit wider (using the dimensions with the overhangs from aluminum front/top face for the P-ATX). My comparison here is only for cases I was interested in, but you can consider the LZ-A4 T31 basically as the popular Dan A4 case.

I can speak from experience that the S401 is suitcase friendly and will also fit some larger backpacks. What excites me the most about this case is that it may be able to fit most of those scenarios that the S401 fulfills, but now with full ATX (4x more DIMMS with X399) + longer (210~244mm?) GPU dimensions + AIO while only being a little bit wider. The S401 has been a wonderful case to use and transport, but this P-ATX is really giving me this feeling...

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
So after doing some rough playing around with dimensions with a software used for work, I've become even more ecstatic about this case. I currently possess a Salvo S401, and it seems the P-ATX case is only a little bit wider (using the dimensions with the overhangs from aluminum front/top face for the P-ATX). My comparison here is only for cases I was interested in, but you can consider the LZ-A4 T31 basically as the popular Dan A4 case.

I can speak from experience that the S401 is suitcase friendly and will also fit some larger backpacks. What excites me the most about this case is that it may be able to fit most of those scenarios that the S401 fulfills, but now with full ATX (4x more DIMMS with X399) + longer (210~244mm?) GPU dimensions + AIO while only being a little bit wider. The S401 has been a wonderful case to use and transport, but this P-ATX is really giving me this feeling...

Hi, I'm really glad you got this feeling and I hope you'll be one of my first customers :)

Yeah, it's basically just a few cm's longer than s401 and sentry, other dimensions are similar. That is also the dimension that allows fitment of ATX case and longer GPU while using an AIO.

Ah, I misread. That's rather impressive temps while not at max RPM during a Prime95 test. I'm hoping it doesn't get much louder with say a 2950x or 2970x with PBO (or maybe the later 3970x or 3990x?).

Just realized I have that exact X399 MSI SLI Plus motherboard. Mine came with an adapter for a 120mm fan to go over the motherboard, was wondering if it would you had the same and if it would fit inside this case over the AIO? Also, any chance of adding another slim 15mm x 120mm fan under the radiator for even more airflow :D ? (tis a stretch since a radiator + fan already is ~52mm, another 15mm would be 67mm)

Since temps are around 67 C, I guess there is a room for even higher TDP processors with more than 16 cores. Unfortunately I don't have one to try, but maybe I get hands on one in the future.

I don't see a room for additional 120mm fan anywhere, but if you want to cool VRM and RAM there is a place for three 60mm fans at the top which I will install when I get the front/top piece, which should come on Tuesday.

There is 67 mm of internal width, but there are few potential problems besides just space for extra 15mm fan. First, I can barely bend the AIO tubes now, and couldn't do that with extra fan beneath. Second problem is the turbulence, because the fan would sit right next to the side panel.
Another possible aproach is to put the 120x38mm fan, they move a lot of air but are mostly for industrial use and can get loud.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Last edited:

MrClippy

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2018
I have finished thee design for TFX and Flex-atx bracket, so if anyone wants to use those, there will be an option :)

Those will also enable support for E-ATX.

Pics:

Wondering if a Flex ATX would fit well with an AIO or would be problematic length-wise...

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Speaking of 92mm AIO, I have designed the bracket that allows installation of 92mm AIO or radiator in place of 120mm AIO, here is the picture:

This will allow using AIO alongside reference lenght GPUs, like rtx2080, rtx2080ti, Titan RTX, Vega 64, Radeon VII and new NAVI GPU's :)

Also, you wont be limited to slim 14mm fan, there is space for 25mm fan or push-pull with 14mm thick fans.