Completed SFFtime presents: P-ATX, the 9L case with ATX and AIO support!

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Hi guys! I would like to present you my case that I've been working on for some time now, the P-ATX.

Here is the link to the V1 manual.

UPDATE: this design has moved on to V2, please see this thread:

White version:

Here is the guide for modding the internal AC cable for use with Corsair PSU's:

P-ATX prototype:

Complete gallery:

Please bear in mind that this is not how the final product would look, it will be powder coated and anodized and thus have much better finish :)

As an SFF enthusiast, I am well aware that going SFF means accepting some compromises. But I've asked myself, does it have to be so many of them? One thing led to another, and after few months of design, and thinking out of the box (pun intended), I'm proud to present the SFFtime P-ATX, a case with following specifications:

- 9L volume, 380 x 342(343) x 69(72) mm dimensions (overhangs from aluminum front/top face)
- console/"pizza box" style case with CPU and GPU fans in the same orientation
- SFX/SFX-L power supply up to 130mm (TFX or Flex-ATX with optional brackets)
- support for following motherboard sizes:
- mini-ITX
- mini-DTX
- micro-ATX
- ATX
- e-ATX (only with TFX or Flex-ATX supply)
- support for dual slot graphic card, up to 374mm length (please see below for more details about GPU compatibility)
- support for 120mm AIO (or 92mm with optional adapter)
- CPU coolers up to 53mm in height (support for AMD Wraith Stealth, also no turbulence problem on C7 and L9 with 25mm fan)
- support for up to 2 3.5" HDD's, and up to 8 2.5" SSD's or HDD's, depending on GPU length and AIO
- up to 3 60mm case fans on top, and 1 60mm fan or 2 40mm fans on the bottom of the case
- back of motherboard accessible for cooler and M.2 installation
- 2 front usb 3.0 ports
- included ADT pci-e x16 riser cable
- custom made power switch that integrates into case design
- Kensington lock that also locks the left panel
- powder coated 1mm steel construction with 3mm aluminum stand and front/top face, and 0.6mm steel side panels
- competitive price
- 100% made in and shipped from Croatia, EU

As you’ve probably noticed, the main advantage is ATX motherboard support, which makes it the smallest ATX case in the market! This allows for almost unlimited choice of motherboards and raises hardware compatibility to another new level. So, you can choose board that has more features, more memory support, more storage ports, better VRM, better cooler clearance, older generation boards, or simply much cheaper board, since we all know that ITX boards and not the cheapest. If you need to spend extra money for SFF case, and small PSU, at least you can save some money on motherboard.
Want to put Threadripper in 9L case? Now you can to that!

More info on the official website:

sfftime.com

P-ATX GPU compatibility guide (full version on the website)

(note: dimensions do not include pci bracket)

1. Width:

a) if using ATX, m-ATX, m-DTX or E-ATX board - max dual slot

b) if using ITX board - max triple slot

2. Length:

a) without HDD or AIO, SFX or flex supply - 370 mm

b) without HDD or with 2.5 HDD or AIO, TFX supply - 280 mm

c) with 120 mm AIO, SFX supply - 245 mm

d) with 3.5 HDD, SFX supply - 268 mm

e) with 2.5 HDD, SFX or flex supply - 300 mm

f) with 92mm AIO, SFX supply - 270 mm

3. Heigth:

a) if using ATX, m-ATX, m-DTX or E-ATX MBO with PCI-e x16 slot in first position - 134 mm

b) if using MBO with PCI-e x16 slot in second position - 115 mm

c) if using ITX board and 2 slot GPU - max 134 mm

d) if using ITX board and GPU wider than 2 slot - max 127 mm

Here is the picture that explains pci-e x16 first vs. second position:

One thing I would like to point is the AIO airflow pattern. It draws cool air from the left side, and exhausts heated air directly out of the case, and doesn’t bring it to the other components. That way it has an edge comparing to other cases that either draw warm air from the inside of the case, or exhaust warm air to the other components which is not ideal, especially in SFF case.

I am currently starting the production of the first batch (100 pcs), and it should be ready in the second half of September.

Some renders:

And some pictures from prototyping and with configuration inside:

Main body and sides will be powder coated in black, and aluminum parts will be anodized in black or transparent (raw aluminum look).

Here are renders showing different hardware configurations, based on number of drives, GPU length and whether you use AIO:

Also TFX and Flex-ATX brackets:

And 92mm AIO adapter:

Price - 165 USD for the silver version, 170 USD for the black and white versions (plus shipping, plus 25% VAT for EU).

I would like to hear your thoughts on design, features, and of course, if you have any questions, I would be glad to answer them!

Thank you for reading :)

Last edited:

Mope

Cable Smoosher
Mar 31, 2019
Curious, where is the AIO location inside the chassis, is it on the 3.5-inch hard drive?

Last edited:

MrClippy

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2018
For something so thin and small, is it possible to accommodate a handle?

Also would the 120mm AIO be compatible with a M-ATX and ATX, or just M-ATX and ITX?

Reactions: Mako

JSItems

Caliper Novice
Apr 28, 2019
My current setup is ATX and I was considering tossing my case and trying a desk PC build. Now, I'm super interested in this instead. I may leave the side off, keep my U9S, and put it in a desk modded with fans for cooling.

I just hope it fits my EVGA 1070 SC (112 mm height x 267 mm length, dual-slot).

Super duper interested in this.

Reactions: riba2233

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
For something so thin and small, is it possible to accommodate a handle?

Also would the 120mm AIO be compatible with a M-ATX and ATX, or just M-ATX and ITX?

I will consider adding handle as an option, I just have to figure out a way to do it without hurting the case appearance, since I was targeting clean aesthetic without any screws or extra holes visible from the outside.

Yes sure, the 120mm AIO can fit along ATX board :)

My current setup is ATX and I was considering tossing my case and trying a desk PC build. Now, I'm super interested in this instead. I may leave the side off, keep my U9S, and put it in a desk modded with fans for cooling.

I just hope it fits my EVGA 1070 SC (112 mm height x 267 mm length, dual-slot).

Super duper interested in this.

Hi, glad to see that you're interested! ? You gpu will fit in all configurations, sans AIO. I will post details about GPU compatibility later, just have to pull out some renders.

MrClippy

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2018
I will consider adding handle as an option, I just have to figure out a way to do it without hurting the case appearance, since I was targeting clean aesthetic without any screws or extra holes visible from the outside.

Yes sure, the 120mm AIO can fit along ATX board :)

Hi, glad to see that you're interested! ? You gpu will fit in all configurations, sans AIO. I will post details about GPU compatibility later, just have to pull out some renders.
The one thing I'm wondering about is if the AIO tubes will reach. The distance between the location next to the GPU and the motherboard's socket seem a littler far, especially if it has to travel around RAM

0xdiablo

Efficiency Noob
May 31, 2019
In for one...almost the case I dreamed for :)
any plan to make a 3 slot version?
or can we top mount a flex atx on top, so that we can put aio at current psu location?

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
The one thing I'm wondering about is if the AIO tubes will reach. The distance between the location next to the GPU and the motherboard's socket seem a littler far, especially if it has to travel around RAM

For now I have ASUS RYUO 120 in hands, and it seems like it has tube length to spare. Actually it's not that far off, it's right next to MBO, but yeah, it should be taken in consideration.

In for one...almost the case I dreamed for :)
any plan to make a 3 slot version?
or can we top mount a flex atx on top, so that we can put aio at current psu location?

Hi, glad to hear that! :) Yes, there will be 13L version with support for ATX PSU, 3-slot GPU.

For flex-atx and AIO, I'm not sure if there's enough height for both, I would have to check. It be safe to say that AIO is supported only with SFX supply up to 100mm (so no SFX-L and AIO). Also, there aren't necessary perforations at the current PSU location for AIO.

Mod Break: @riba2233 we removed "smallest ATX case on the market!" from the title as we consider these clickbait titles.

My bad, I wasn't aware of that :|
Although it's true, so technically not clickbait :)

Reactions: Bioforce

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
My bad, I wasn't aware of that :|
Although it's true, so technically not clickbait :)
No worries, we don't expect people to know but we do adjust the titles.
In the past there were multiple topics at once all claiming the smallest case, leading to competitive behavior with creators disputing other's size claims, even though the claims were only true in a vacuum world of their design. For instance, your claim is also incorrect, because after two minutes I found a 6,5L ATX case: https://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/1U/512/SC512L-200B. Another example is Streacom FC5 Alpha at 8,5L: https://streacom.com/products/fc5-alpha-fanless-chassis/.

Your immediate instinct would probably be to defend why your case has more features and such (I'm not debating that isn't valid or true) but in the end your claim of smallest ATX case in the market doesn't hold up from the start. It also doesn't hold up over time as tomorrow there might be someone else having a 0,1L smaller case and claiming that title, in the end having many topics all claiming the smallest and maybe focusing too much on attaining that title without considering other aspects into design like component support and ease of use. Volume shouldn't be the only measure to gauge an SFF case.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
No worries, we don't expect people to know but we do adjust the titles.
In the past there were multiple topics at once all claiming the smallest case, leading to competitive behavior with creators disputing other's size claims, even though the claims were only true in a vacuum world of their design. For instance, your claim is also incorrect, because after two minutes I found a 6,5L ATX case: https://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/1U/512/SC512L-200B. Another example is Streacom FC5 Alpha at 8,5L: https://streacom.com/products/fc5-alpha-fanless-chassis/.

Your immediate instinct would probably be to defend why your case has more features and such (I'm not debating that isn't valid or true) but in the end your claim of smallest ATX case in the market doesn't hold up from the start. It also doesn't hold up over time as tomorrow there might be someone else having a 0,1L smaller case and claiming that title, in the end having many topics all claiming the smallest and maybe focusing too much on attaining that title without considering other aspects into design like component support and ease of use. Volume shouldn't be the only measure to gauge an SFF case.

Yes, you are 100% right and I agree, it can lead to some dubious claims and arguments.

It would be more correct to say eg. "smallest case with that and that features", but that can also change over the course of time.

And thank you for the correction, glad to learn something new ?

MrClippy

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2018
For now I have ASUS RYUO 120 in hands, and it seems like it has tube length to spare. Actually it's not that far off, it's right next to MBO, but yeah, it should be taken in consideration.

With the ASUS Ryuo, was there a particular rotation required to make it work, or did most rotations work? I know that the Ryuo has an Asetek block, so has more rotations that will work with regards to the tubes coming out.

Other AIO such as the latest Corsair with a Cooltek block may be square, or in the case of some ID-Cooling, may be rectangle, so can't be oriented in as many ways.

My question I guess summed up is: will the AIO block be able to orient itself its tubes oriented to 1 or 2 of the 4 cardinal directions (up, down, left, right) while maintaining clearance from the RAM and GPU? I honestly love this case size and design, but am hoping there are no issues with regards to AIO support.

Last edited:

0xdiablo

Efficiency Noob
May 31, 2019
Hi, glad to hear that! :) Yes, there will be 13L version with support for ATX PSU, 3-slot GPU.

For flex-atx and AIO, I'm not sure if there's enough height for both, I would have to check. It be safe to say that AIO is supported only with SFX supply up to 100mm (so no SFX-L and AIO). Also, there aren't necessary perforations at the current PSU location for AIO.
3slot is also sep?
Not just 3slot graphic card, It’s more practical for matx users like me, can put one graphic card +one 10gbe or sound or pcie-wifi or one more nvme2pcie adaptor

Looking at x470 motherboard announced, seems matx is going nowhere, in future either itx or atx. I guess lots of matx user will be forced to get a bulky tower case... use atx mb to “emulate” matx definitely is one fantastic idea.

It should be enough room for 3 slot version to have configurations like:
1. top mount flex psu + 120mm aio + long graphic card
2. Sfx/atx psu + long graphic card + no aio
3. Sfx/atx psu + not so long card :) + 240mm aio

Just some ideas :)

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 9, 2018
Noob question, what is p-ATX I’ve never heard of it, I google and it comes up with Asus boards?

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
With the ASUS Ryuo, was there a particular rotation required to make it work, or did most rotations work? I know that the Ryuo has an Asetek block, so has more rotations that will work with regards to the tubes coming out.

Other AIO such as the latest Corsair with a Cooltek block may be square, or in the case of some ID-Cooling, may be rectangle, so can't be oriented in as many ways.

My question I guess summed up is: will the AIO block be able to orient itself its tubes oriented to 1 or 2 of the 4 cardinal directions (up, down, left, right) while maintaining clearance from the RAM and GPU? I honestly love this case size and design, but am hoping there are no issues with regards to AIO support.

I will certainly test that, I just got the AIO few days ago. If your RAM is not to high, the tubes could go over it.
You'll see the report soon ;)

3slot is also sep?
Not just 3slot graphic card, It’s more practical for matx users like me, can put one graphic card +one 10gbe or sound or pcie-wifi or one more nvme2pcie adaptor

Looking at x470 motherboard announced, seems matx is going nowhere, in future either itx or atx. I guess lots of matx user will be forced to get a bulky tower case... use atx mb to “emulate” matx definitely is one fantastic idea.

It should be enough room for 3 slot version to have configurations like:
1. top mount flex psu + 120mm aio + long graphic card
2. Sfx/atx psu + long graphic card + no aio
3. Sfx/atx psu + not so long card :) + 240mm aio

Just some ideas :)

Thank you for the ideas!
Sorry, I didn't get the "sep" part, can you please clarify?
I've seen one x570 matx board (asrock pro4) lol. Still one more than x470!

The bigger case will have support for 268mm GPU and 120mm thick AIO next to each other. AIO larger than 140mm will be possible in some configurations, but I'll write more details about that in it's own topic once I have everything ready.

Noob question, what is p-ATX I’ve never heard of it, I google and it comes up with Asus boards?

It's the name (model) of the case, I wanted something short and descriptive :)

Reactions: MrClippy

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
My bad... somehow thought this case will be available in Sep, must be mixed up with some other thread

No problem, I also thought that ?

p-ATX

petite-ATX
packed-ATX
pint-ATX or pint-sized-ATX

just some ideas :D

It's actually pico-ATX, but your suggestions are also nice! ?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, I have added renders showing different hardware configurations in first post, so please check them out! ?

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Want to put Threadripper in 9L case? Now you can to that!

Been done. ~8L.

But this is more conventional. :)