Production SFFtime presents: N-ATX V2 - 15L evolution of console case that supports ATX size parts

frosty1179

Case Bender
New User
Jan 5, 2023
Is there a way to mount multiple 3.5" hdd's?

I don't have a gpu in my build and see there is certainly space to do it, but the side mounting holes are for 2.5" drives. I wanted to put 2 or 3 3.5" drives there. Maybe a mounting bracket or something?

harryshuman

Trash Compacter
Jan 30, 2022
Is there a way to mount multiple 3.5" hdd's?

I don't have a gpu in my build and see there is certainly space to do it, but the side mounting holes are for 2.5" drives. I wanted to put 2 or 3 3.5" drives there. Maybe a mounting bracket or something?

You can probably get something like this (Aliexpress link) and stick it into the case using velcro or something.

The case officially only supports 1x 3.5" HDD, so you will have to get creative.

Thanks, just replied! Looks like there is another customer from Canada with the same issue so I will follow the situation and raise the claim if needed.

Looks like I will be picking it up tomorrow from the post office. Thanks for your help. I will provide the build pics on Saturday.

Reactions: riba2233

harryshuman

Trash Compacter
Jan 30, 2022
Alright, so it's time to present my take on the N-ATX v2. Keep in mind, I am coming from P-ATX v2, which I love dearly as it was an extremely solid design.

My hardware:
  • Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Asus B550 Strix ITX
  • Asus RTX 3090 Strix
  • 64GB 3600MHz Kingston Fury
  • Asus ROG 1000G
My primary goal was simple: to have the entire setup working. After I switched to this hardware I literally was running it out in the open on the table while waiting for this case. Everything was in open P-ATX case, with literally RTX 3090 filling half of it, and the giant ATX power supply sitting on the table close to it, with all the cables running around like it was on life support.

The other problem while running this setup was the temps. I ran AXP-100 Copper for cooling, and 5800X3D was throttling almost constantly generally settling around 4000-4200MHz. I tried using the Noctua PPC-3000 fan which helped marginally, but the PC sounds like a vacuum cleaner if the CPU load is over 30%.

N-ATX case seemed like a perfect option to save space while have everything inside + potentially having additional cooling for the GPU's backplate or hot air exhaust. Additionally my inital goal was to utilize the AXP-200P cooler as a way of mitigatingthe high CPU temps. I was hoping the larget aluminum AXP-200P would act at the very least the same as the smaller copper AXP-100, or marginally better.

Link to the pictures (last two pics are for case issues)

The final build includes:
  • 2 fans, 120mm fan near the GPU exhaust and the 140mm fan under the motherboard, both are in exhaust configuration. The much faster 120mm fan is running at constant 43% PWM duty cycle to match the 140mm much slower fan running at constant maximum speed. The 140mm fan is really just to cool down the VRMs on the GPU via the backplate, I haven't tested it yet.
  • 2 2.5" SSDs, I am still using them because I find using external SSDs via USB hub very unstable. Ideally their use is not recomended as there's already massive shortage of space, and instead of SSD drives I could use that part of the case to store the numerous PCI-E power cables.
  • AXP-200P was tested and promptly replaced, as it was actually observed to perform worse than the much smaller AXP-100 Copper. So in the end, the AXP-100 was fitted. Not only did it achieve better results, but with PBO control set to -30 I was able to complete Cinebench R23 run without throttling at 87C peak temps, which is a lot but it's lower than 91C at throttled frequencies. The PBO control also allowed me to lower the CPU fan speed so it doesn't cause hearing harm. The CPU cooler is running in exhaust configuration, as it provides better temperatures.
  • The GPU temps haven't been properly tested yet.
What I like over P-ATX:
  • The new assembly method is neat for transport (but at the same time I loved how sturdy the P-ATX was due to it being one solid piece).
  • The GPU installation method is simpler over P-ATX (you can install the L bracket right away instead of cramming it in afterwards).
  • Power cable connector is simpler (but at the same time I loved how you could install a single long cable in P-ATX instead of going the extender route).
  • The sliding bracket for installing HDDs and latching the side panel is gone (good, that thing was from hell).

Things I didn't like in the case + other issues:
  • (big issue) The stand mounting mechanism is very poor. While P-ATX offered very solid latching mechanism, N-ATX opts out for a stand that's being held in place by the side panels. It's a very clever approach, however the side panels are only held in place at the mid point of the case. So they BEND on the upper/lower edges. This means that if you push your case hard enough, it can cause the side panel to bend just enough for the stand to pop out. To put it back it you have to undo the panel, put the stand it and put the panel back. The stand can also pop out from the case if you carry it the wrong way. To fix this (somewhat), you need to add an side panel screw somewhere near the bottom of the case to prevent the sides from bending. (see green marker on the 2nd to last picture). Also keeping the case open for better ventilation isn't an option anymore, as that would mean no stand.
  • (big issue) The way the PCI-E riser is connected to the case is very weak and there's no structural support for it. I noticed that the screws that were provided don't hold the connector in place very well and the strong spring force of the ribbon cable can shear off the GPU's connector. In P-ATX the riser was horizontally placed either on top of the case itself, or on top of extenders connected to the bottom of the case. Either way there was support from the bottom. With the current riser design there's no support from the bottom. I consider this a big issue because if the riser dislocates from the GPU's slot, it can short the pins and fry the card. I had to use the carboard from the box to keep the riser steadily horizontal relative to the card. I will try to use better screws (the ones included really aren't up to the task). I will also try to glue something to the riser so it makes contact with the case for support.
  • There are no 140mm fan holes under the PSU. There's definitely enough space for them and no reason not to have them. (see the pictures).
  • For whatever reason my kit only came with 1 printed page of instructions instead of 2, just weird. I wouldn't mind not having it at all but if it needs to be included then why not include both pages?
  • I'm 99% sure my kit was missing one of the flushed screws, because in the end of the assembly I only had 3 of those left, but I needed 4 to mount the side panels. I had to use the extra one (much longer one) as a replacement.
  • No spare flushed screws. Usually kits include 1-2 spare screws.

Things to improve in my build:
  • Install thermal pads on the rear NVMe drive so that it uses the case as the heatsink.
  • Improve cabling, make it easier to disassemble, minimize the usage of ugly zip ties on the outside.
  • Fix the PCI-E riser twisting issue
  • Replace the AXP-100 with something more overkill... something like....

Last edited:
Reactions: Aluminyum

frosty1179

Case Bender
New User
Jan 5, 2023
You can probably get something like this (Aliexpress link) and stick it into the case using velcro or something.

The case officially only supports 1x 3.5" HDD, so you will have to get creative.

Looks like I will be picking it up tomorrow from the post office. Thanks for your help. I will provide the build pics on Saturday.
Yeah I ended up doing something similar with a 3D print. Unfortunately it only fits 2 HDD's, but for my use case the 3rd one was an extra anyway. I think if you really wanted to you could fit 3, but it was getting to be a hassle.

How it looks

Here's the print I designed if anyone wants multiple HDD's in this case.

Reactions: harryshuman

coolusername

Efficiency Noob
Jan 13, 2023
New N-ATX V2 owner here, my case showed up at JFK Airport in NYC on December 31st and was delivered last week. Finally got all the parts moved over from my last "case" and loving it. I'm waiting on shorter cables to tidy up the case and finish everything but i'm surprised at how well everything is running. I had no issues putting the case together and impressed by the overall quality of everything. 2 issues I do have are the side panels and the stand. Both of my panels have a slight bow or flex to them and they do not sit flat. Also I've moved the case a few time and have noticed tilting the case on the stand has slightly bent either end. It is easily bent back straight but maybe some creases would help stiffen the metal but at a cost to manufacturing.

My current setup: MSI B550 ATX with AMD 5600X, Big Shuriken 3 cooler, MSI 3080ti, and Corsair SF750. I'll post a build picture shortly. Cheers! 🍻

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
New N-ATX V2 owner here, my case showed up at JFK Airport in NYC on December 31st and was delivered last week. Finally got all the parts moved over from my last "case" and loving it. I'm waiting on shorter cables to tidy up the case and finish everything but i'm surprised at how well everything is running. I had no issues putting the case together and impressed by the overall quality of everything. 2 issues I do have are the side panels and the stand. Both of my panels have a slight bow or flex to them and they do not sit flat. Also I've moved the case a few time and have noticed tilting the case on the stand has slightly bent either end. It is easily bent back straight but maybe some creases would help stiffen the metal but at a cost to manufacturing.

My current setup: MSI B550 ATX with AMD 5600X, Big Shuriken 3 cooler, MSI 3080ti, and Corsair SF750. I'll post a build picture shortly. Cheers! 🍻
Welcome on board!

Regarding flex on side panels, it is done on purpose to secure the fixation of stand.
Normally when the stand is in the proper position, side panels are flat.

harryshuman

Trash Compacter
Jan 30, 2022
That makes sense, thanks. Also I did figure out how to invert the stand. I can’t believe it took me that long to figure it out.

It's not the flex of the panels that's the issue. Everyone is correct saying they will be flat when installed.

But side panels can still be bent if you push too hard on the case or lift it incorrectly for transportation, which will cause the stand to be detached. Putting it back in every time it happens is a pain. I think it definetely something that needs to be addressed in N-ATX v3.

By the way, how did you pack your GPU cables? Did you run into an issue where the GPU power cables are too close to the PSU?

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 28, 2021
Shifted my 5950X/6800XT from the P-ATX v3 to the N-ATX v2 (Now with five 40x20mm Sunon fans that can be screwed on to the panels). Managed to grab a B-Stock previously, and finally built in it. I might be blind but, I don't really see any of the imperfections of the case.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Shifted my 5950X/6800XT from the P-ATX v3 to the N-ATX v2 (Now with five 40x20mm Sunon fans that can be screwed on to the panels). Managed to grab a B-Stock previously, and finally built in it. I might be blind but, I don't really see any of the imperfections of the case.

Thanks for sharing!
What is purpose of those 5x40x20mm fans? They seem useless for me..:)

Last edited:

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 28, 2021
Thanks for sharing!
What is purpose of those 5x20mm fans? They seem useless for me..:)
I don't think you are wrong, in all honesty! Hahah, although it does seem that the top mounted ones do direct the hot air out. I haven't really done any real test, but the temperatures of the RAM sticks do seem a couple of degrees lower.

Am also thinking of one more over the motherboard VRM area, with double sided tape. There seems to be a pocket of hot air in between the CPU and GPU area (where the M.2 and pcie slot is).

But mainly, just because the case could fit the fans? I recall that it was mentioned that 80mm fans screw holes do match up, so 40mm should be good as well. Either way, 80mms will be tough to fit inside the case, maybe with an itx board and sfx psu.

Reactions: MarcParis

harryshuman

Trash Compacter
Jan 30, 2022
Am also thinking of one more over the motherboard VRM area, with double sided tape. There seems to be a pocket of hot air in between the CPU and GPU area (where the M.2 and pcie slot is).

Why not just run the CPU cooler in exhaust configuration? In my case it lowered the CPU temps by a few degrees, I bet memory is also affected.

You are correct about 80mm fan holes, but in fact 92mm would work as well. 92mm fan can actually be mounted without any screws through surface friction and tension alone. The main issue is the motherboard clearance. Even for slim 10-15mm fans you will need to move the motherboard downwards by a centimeter or so.

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 28, 2021
Why not just run the CPU cooler in exhaust configuration? In my case it lowered the CPU temps by a few degrees, I bet memory is also affected.

You are correct about 80mm fan holes, but in fact 92mm would work as well. 92mm fan can actually be mounted without any screws through surface friction and tension alone. The main issue is the motherboard clearance. Even for slim 10-15mm fans you will need to move the motherboard downwards by a centimeter or so.
Could be worth a try, depends on how soon I would want to tinker with the build. Right now, it's very good, as the 40mm fans are actually inaudible at all, even if they don't help with temperatures, I find that they fill up the empty space well enough. Although their wiring seems to be weird, as my board is unable to read their RPM. Might consider going to Noctua, just for the sake of it.

This might be just for the Thermalright AXP120, I did run the stock (120x15mm) fan in exhaust in a different build before, but it produces a very audible rattling against the heatsink. Although with a full 25mm thick fan, it might be different, admittedly.

harryshuman

Trash Compacter
Jan 30, 2022
This might be just for the Thermalright AXP120, I did run the stock (120x15mm) fan in exhaust in a different build before, but it produces a very audible rattling against the heatsink. Although with a full 25mm thick fan, it might be different, admittedly.

I suggest upgrading to AXP-100 Full Copper (not just any AXP-100).

From my research, AXP-120 is basically smaller AXP-200 which I tested, and AXP-200 performed 5-10 degrees worse than AXP-100 Full Copper. Prime example of how cooler material affects the CPU cooling more than the size. Both AXP-120 and AXP-200 are aluminum, while AXP-100 Copper is nickel-plated copper. AXP-100 Copper is twice as heavy as the much larger AXP-200. They really manufactured the hell out of it.

AXP-100 is also smaller and will give you enough room to install the T30 fan.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016

From my research, AXP-120 is basically smaller AXP-200 which I tested, and AXP-200 performed 5-10 degrees worse than AXP-100 Full Copper. Prime example of how cooler material affects the CPU cooling more than the size. Both AXP-120 and AXP-200 are aluminum, while AXP-100 Copper is nickel-plated copper. AXP-100 Copper is twice as heavy as the much larger AXP-200. They really manufactured the hell out of it.

Well, based on my experience axp120-67 with noctua nfa12x25 is able to handle a 120w heat load.
I mostly recommend to apply negative PBO. I manage -30 with my ryzen 7 5800x…:)

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 28, 2021

I had an AXP100 Full Copper, in the PATX v3. If anything, the AXP120 is better, at least by 5C (while gaming). For me, at least.

Granted the axp100 full copper is using the stock fan, and typically using a 120mm fan with it is usually not much help, as the fan mount blocks most of the fan flow. However with a T30, one might be able to brute force better temperatures?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I had an AXP100 Full Copper, in the PATX v3. If anything, the AXP120 is better, at least by 5C (while gaming). For me, at least.

Granted the axp100 full copper is using the stock fan, and typically using a 120mm fan with it is usually not much help, as the fan mount blocks most of the fan flow. However with a T30, one might be able to brute force better temperatures?
Based on my personal experience I fully agree with this statement : Cu vs Al heatsink is not making much difference on cooling. Major factor remains total exchange surface (ie more numerous and bigger fins)

Aluminyum

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 3, 2019
Alright, so it's time to present my take on the N-ATX v2. [...]
Thanks for the post. The (big) issues you mentioned do sound concerning.
Replace the AXP-100 with something more overkill...
I have the impression that the Scythe Big Shuriken 3 Rev.B with a 25mm fan (e.g., a Noctua NF-A12x25) would be the best CPU cooler for this case (possible turbulence noises aside).