Production SFFtime presents: MNLT - elegant vertical air tunnel case with excellent air cooling support and no riser

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
I second the idea of having some sort of Front/Side I/O, I think at the very least there should be a couple of USB Type A ports, (bonus if you could fit Type C and/or audio too). Since the case will be elevated and the bottom part is already gonna be used for cables, why not include cutouts there? (like the same approach you did with the USB ports on the P-ATX.

Secondly, it looks like the elevated 'feet' portion is currently totally closed off. Maybe would be a good idea to include some cutouts so you can take in air from the bottom (otherwise the only place for the air to enter is through the hole at the back which is probably going to get pretty restrictive with all the cables coming in/out of there)

Thank you for your feedback :)

I am still considering some IO but I is not that simple due to the case construction, it would provide some challenges and I expet most people will use some kind of usb hub with bottom IO case.

Bottom intake is fine as is it now, case is fairly elevated so there are 6cm of space for bottom fan to draw air from and I can see it on cpu temps which are same as with open bench. Any perforation on the outer shell would negatively impact the design of this case.

neat looking case. I'm curious what the thermal impact would be with a 3080/3090 fe or blower card, and if it's significant if it could be mitigated by putting something between the gpu bracket and fan. I know you're already looking at a different venting pattern for the top--are you also looking to change the back (gpu intake)?

would you also expect this case to fall into the <11 pound shipping bracket (same as p-atx v2)?

Thanks!

I would suggest against using blower cards with this case, it can support large 3slot monster gpu's so there is really no need to go for small 2slot blower. FE cards should work fine, they will warm up cpu a bit though. No, gpu intake is fine as is, not a bottleneck and exhaust should be less restrictive than intake to optimize pressure in the case. But you can also easily remove the rear panel if you'd like, you won't even see it :)

This case will be lighter than current P-ATX so yeah, same shipping bracket.

I noticed that with the Ghost S1 I had, the size and pattern of the holes were a lot more restrictive than first glance. But sounds like an easy fix by modifying the vent pattern?

I also think the size is fine given the huge benefit of being able to fit a D15 cooler accompanied by the massive fans. I'm looking for SFF cases that allow for a D15 since a U9 and C14 don't quite match the performance of a 240mm AIO in an Ncase M1, but a D15 would.

Yeah I already have alternative top panel made, just waiting for it to be painted so I can test it.

I agree, footprint is king imho.

Reactions: teodoro

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Thank you for your feedback :)

I am still considering some IO but I is not that simple due to the case construction, it would provide some challenges and I expet most people will use some kind of usb hub with bottom IO case.

Bottom intake is fine as is it now, case is fairly elevated so there are 6cm of space for bottom fan to draw air from and I can see it on cpu temps which are same as with open bench. Any perforation on the outer shell would negatively impact the design of this case.
What I'm thinking of is something along the lines of this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32680575045.html or this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003091860602.html

Of course the implementation will be key, and it will probably add a bit of cost to the case. I think it's one of those things that's nice to have, but I guess when push comes to shove, I probably can live without.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Hi, just got it from powdercoating, now it feels really great as a whole.

Also got a chance to test new performance top panel:

There is some differences (6700xt hellhound stock + furmark, 25c ambient) :

Without top panel - 63c 1135rpm
With perf panel - 67c 1264rpm
With standard panel - 70c 1310rpm

What do you think, I would prefer perf panel, I think it also looks good but I can always sell the case with both options in you think that's a good idea.

jauris

Chassis Packer
Feb 8, 2021
The two panels don't look too different, I'd probably just stick with the perf panel.

I will say, the powdercoating looks awesome!

Reactions: riba2233

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
The two panels don't look too different, I'd probably just stick with the perf panel.

I will say, the powdercoating looks awesome!

Thanks, it is the same powdercoating as I have on P-ATX and N-ATX, it just looks a bit different on bigger flat surface :)

Yeah I will probably go with perf panel, thanks!

neoxal

What's an ITX?
New User
Oct 21, 2021
Design looks great so far! Is the inner box supported by anything other than the 9 screws securing the outer shell to the inner box? I have some concerns about those screws taking a lot of shear load given their small size and the weight of all the components inside. I think it may be beneficial to have some vertical supports from the inner box that also make contact with the table to release/lessen the load on those screws. Or maybe a shelf type thing on the outer shell that prevents the inner box from dropping any further.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Design looks great so far! Is the inner box supported by anything other than the 9 screws securing the outer shell to the inner box? I have some concerns about those screws taking a lot of shear load given their small size and the weight of all the components inside. I think it may be beneficial to have some vertical supports from the inner box that also make contact with the table to release/lessen the load on those screws. Or maybe a shelf type thing on the outer shell that prevents the inner box from dropping any further.

I agree with you, but there are enough screws so they have no problems with handling the load. I really didn't want to drill into the outer chassis so this was basically the only way.

Gmoney

Average Stuffer
Oct 23, 2020
As a N ATX and P ATX owner I am really looking forward to this. Been waiting for a vertical chimney style case that uses a 180 or 200mm fan for ages. Silverstone Alta G1M is still not available in North America and I hope this goes for sale soon so I can build a Alder Lake system in it.

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
@riba2233 I love this design but feels a bit big for my style. Would you mind if I pinch some frame construction ideas for my case design (in my sig)?

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
As a N ATX and P ATX owner I am really looking forward to this. Been waiting for a vertical chimney style case that uses a 180 or 200mm fan for ages. Silverstone Alta G1M is still not available in North America and I hope this goes for sale soon so I can build a Alder Lake system in it.

Thank you a lot, really means a lot!

How good is the GPU compatibility? Would an MSI 3080 Suprim X fit?

It is pretty good, all 3slot gpu's should fit. Suprim X will fitt but you will have to use 140mm fan instead of 200mm on top.

@riba2233 I love this design but feels a bit big for my style. Would you mind if I pinch some frame construction ideas for my case design (in my sig)?

Thank, yeah no problem 👍

Reactions: SFFMunkee

Gmoney

Average Stuffer
Oct 23, 2020
What's the best way to be notified when this will be available for purchase? I have my entire build on hold waiting for this case and really don't want to miss the first batch.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
What's the best way to be notified when this will be available for purchase? I have my entire build on hold waiting for this case and really don't want to miss the first batch.
Thanks, just subscribe to our newsletter, but I will also write here about the progress.

snailonni

Trash Compacter
Aug 27, 2019
Hi, it would be great if you could make the feet part detachable? I believe it will make it easier to carry in a bag or case.