Prebuilt [SFFn] ASRock's DeskMini A300 - Finally!

ratundtat

Average Stuffer
Sep 12, 2020
What does dmesg reporting? Are there any enteries grepping for usb!?
ty4 interest. I dont know if something is actual logged.
mostly I see USB errors (red) as like as:
[81467.123114] usb 3-2.2-port1: cannot disable (err = -71)
[81467.123484] hub 3-2.2:1.0: hub_ext_port_status failed (err = -71)
3-2.2:1.0: hub_ext_port_status failed (err = -71)

my kernel setting is:
rw loglevel=2 quiet audit=0
I dont know if i something not log, because log-level

so, after auto-crash-reboot(?) i seen in journalctl -xb, but there was nothing special

Reactions: gustav

ramalhais

Trash Compacter
Nov 15, 2019
4650G Pro

What USB sound card are you using? and why? no cable? or are existing better USB sound cards as onboard chip? (Trouble with USB Sound card with X300 with firmware 1.58 or just with 1.60?) I have one for just 5 Euro, but it is in a raspberry pi and I´m not interest in test it with Deskmini, because my sound is ok and I do not know some super special deluxe usb sound cards.
I have a sound mixer which has USB, so i use that.
Regarding your reboots, you can try lowering the memory speed and see if that fixes it. I had some reboots after trying to increase memory speed, so, that may help.

ssouthall6

Trash Compacter
Jun 18, 2020
Running this board on 12v is 100% possible and has been done by several people, including me. I have a build using a 12v rail from a Flex ATX PSU to power this board. And like I said in my other post, since you can already power the board off a 12v rail from an ATX or likewise PSU, then you can use the rest of the SATA connectors on that PSU to power whatever drives you wanted to add to the expansion card. And even if you only use the 2 on board SATA ports for 2.5" drives there are still plenty of options out there for ~4TB and up SSD drives depending on how much money you want to burn.

Again, it's all technically possible with enough imagination and effort. It's definitely not practical in any way, but still achievable, hence the original joke.
Your build is crazy haha.

I just picked up an X300TM-ITX and planned to use it in the In win B1 (temporarily), which comes with a 12v PSU.

Now I've just spent the last couple of days transplanting the inside of a 19v 300w hdplex into the case of the PSU the in win comes with. Am I correct in thinking that was a waste of time and it could have just run off 12v?!

Reactions: catawalks

alles_alles

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2020
As a long time passive thread reader, I've just registered to share interesting information with you regarding S3 standby on renoir:

As known, neither on A300 nor X300 standby (ACPI S3) does work/is available when a Ryzen 4XXXG (Renoir) is installed.
Many users had the assumption that this is due to the PRO cpu. Me too, as AMD explicitely states on their website that standby is disabled by default on PRO cpus for security features.
However, other users confirmed that on other motherboards standby is working well, also with Renoir PRO cpus.

I had the chance to get a NON-PRO Renoir 4300GE. So i checked out this thesis with an interesting (and depressing!) result: S3 does still NOT work (is unavailable, see screenshot below:

Conclusion: The unavailable standby has nothing to do with the PRO cpus, but with Renoir in general!

Therefore, I'm really angry: with respect, ASRock gives a f*** about their customers!!! Non working standby on renoir still not fixed, not even on X300 (which officially supports Renoir). Ridiculous how such basic feature is "not available"!!!
PS: Coil-whine - also never fixed!
PPS: Some users would call it scam that they sell the X300 which is basically the same as the A300 (mainboard with sticker).

--> If there was an alternative I would never buy a Deskmini again. Unfortunately, there is none real...
Well i think S3 I don't need. You can destroy a ssd with chia Mining but hybernate is a joke . On my x300 only works hybernate too with 4000 pro cpus. maybe i think you need non pro cpus that s3 works on renoir. hybernate works fine for me . PS the standard setting is hybrid standby in Windows 10 . this means he make Hybernate and Standby together. as in standard. With 3400g that i testet on x300 board s3 works fine.

D3NPA

Average Stuffer
Mar 8, 2020
finaly got an 4650g
didn't start after first bios enter (a300 with x300 bios)
swapped to 3200g, flashed to 3.60s from windows with asrom
works fine
on slower rpm it's about 20 degree cooler in games than 3200g, lol

3000MHz g-skill works fine at 3200MHz with 16-17-17-43 1.35v
not much but still better

Reactions: gustav and rfarmer

gustav

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2020
@alles_alles please use DeepL agaist your typing
Please stop with with pro and non pro non sense. Or read afterwards what you're writing.
With such behavior your statement has no meaning except misleading people. Thanks. Nothing personal, just criticism on your behavior.

@D3NPA but you still see how much better the memory controller is, right? It booted even at 3400 but power rails and no oc on Renoir is as bummer. Not even the auto increase at 3200 with +0.1v -- would work like a miracle! Would not wonder if it would do 3400 ok.

Maybe we could reprogram the VRM controller via i2c or uart to behave differently. (You may have seen this alreat on GPUs, to increase power limit)

Maybe there are datasheets/specs on the VRM Controller since we know it's generating 3 phases using 3 MOSFETS pro each VRM, which are going to the coils (5). So we could "overdrive" them with custom current.

But only 2 of them - the SoC and APU related ones. CPU is running pretty fine. No need to touch those

Personal note on the mining subject: it's only negative for us - costumers and consumers. First GPUs and now Storage because it hashes your free space. It should be regulated. Of course manufacturers will make profit. And profit is profit.

Better make some chea tea ad relax drinking it. Instead making the market a damage

Last edited:

D3NPA

Average Stuffer
Mar 8, 2020
1usmus dram calc ask me to enable Power Down Mode
don't do that
your latency will increase, mine goes up to 77ns from 67

(fixed in calc 1.7.3 lol mine was 1.6.2)

3333 now 😎

Last edited:

ratundtat

Average Stuffer
Sep 12, 2020
Hi, Asrock written me:
Habe dieses der BIOS Abteilung weitergeleitet und diese meinten, das hier
keine Änderungen zwischen 1.58 und 1.60 besteht und diese gleich sind.
Eine BIOS Version für die Produktion bekommt in der Regel immer eine
"glatte" Nummer mit einer "0" am Ende. Also 1.00, 2.10, 5.80 usw. aber kein
1.58 oder 3.27 etc...
Daher sollte es mit der 1.60 genau wie mit der 1.58 - mit den gleichen BIOS
Einstellungen funktionieren.

Bitte BIOS per CLRCMOS zurücksetzen und im BIOS dann die Defaults laden und
speichern. Nun erneut in BIOS gehen und die Einstellungen vornehmen.

Last point i will "perhaps" testing, if I demounting the Deskmini, if I find a usb rgb hub adapter ,because 1.58 works at me.

D3NPA

Average Stuffer
Mar 8, 2020
for a better RAM speeds you should probably set trfc2 and 4
guides tells that it's useless on amd platform
but
mine RAM was ~2Gb/s slower with Auto (AIDA64 Write test, can fluctuate)
latencies was a bit worse too

from reddit

tRFC 2 = tRFC / 1.346
tRFC 4 = tRFC 2 / 1.625

gustav

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2020
You have some nice timings there!
Same BIOS - I should try it out.
Can you please post your (full) memcalc values? :) Would appreciate

D3NPA

Average Stuffer
Mar 8, 2020
wow
3.60R is so much better
testing 3600 now
cl18 booting!
tm5 @anta777 extreme1 cfg
1 hour no errors

oh my
4133 cl29 boots into bios ._.
3800 into windows

Last edited:

rubicoin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 12, 2020
wow
3.60R is so much better
testing 3600 now
cl18 booting!
tm5 @anta777 extreme1 cfg
1 hour no errors

oh my
4133 cl29 boots into bios ._.
3800 into windows

had the same ram with 4650g running at 3200 cl18. xmp only setting, never tried to tune it. shame on me :p

anyways just sold my 4650g, switched it to 5600x in my mini itx pc and left 2400g to a300. for our usage renoir would be overkill for now, and also needed the money for the zen3 upgrade. still it was not easy to let this awesome 6 core apu go. and leaving this awesome g.skill kit run only at 2933 cl18 because of 2400g is also a shame.

but who knows, maybe once a used cezanne apu will make its way into my old little a300 somehow? beta bios support or x300 port still possible :)

Last edited:
Reactions: D3NPA

catawalks

Average Stuffer
Dec 17, 2019
Your build is crazy haha.

I just picked up an X300TM-ITX and planned to use it in the In win B1 (temporarily), which comes with a 12v PSU.

Now I've just spent the last couple of days transplanting the inside of a 19v 300w hdplex into the case of the PSU the in win comes with. Am I correct in thinking that was a waste of time and it could have just run off 12v?!
Lol, I wouldn't say it was a complete waste of time. You get some experience and have a thing you can use elsewhere if needed. But yeah, you can definitely run the board right off of 12v without issue. My A300 with the 4750G runs without issue off a 300w Flex PSU. As far as I know, the X300 motherboard should be pretty much identical and you could have been done with just the 12v PSU that came in the case.

A300

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 13, 2019
Hi,

I have A300 with 4650G on BIOS 3.60S.
Is anyone here know if Kingston PC3200 (KVR32S22S8/16) is compatible?

Thanks in advance.

akisu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 15, 2019
The Crucial Ballistix 3200Mhz CL16 are doing a fine job in mine. They come with Micron E-die and handle OC very good.

akisu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 15, 2019
I don't have a choice, all of 3200Mhz in my country only available in CL22.
And the brand are limited, only Kingston, Adata, Team, Patriot & Corsair.
Some stores in other countries offers international shipping. May be more expensive and also depends a bit where you live.