Prebuilt [SFFn] ASRock's DeskMini A300 - Finally!

akisu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 15, 2019
The X300 got an official BIOS update with AGESA ComboAM4v2 1.2.0.1:

Somebody will test it on the A300?

The_Bavarian

Efficiency Noob
Mar 27, 2021
Testing the X300 Bios 1.60 will not make real sense. First of all flashing it to the A300 was neither easy nor successful so far. Even somebody could get it being flashed on the board, APU's based on Picasso and previous are no longer supported by AGESA 1.2.0.x. APU's from Renoir and above (to be released) are not supported as the bios checks the mainboard's serial number (A300 or X300) and refuses to work on an A300.

The only way to get the X300 bios working on the A300 will probably be a way to remove the board check or to cheat this serial number quest or whatelse. I am not a bios developer nor a nerd.

Best regards

KingDiamond

Chassis Packer
Feb 16, 2021

These are the supported series of processors from BIOS v.1.60 -Deskmini x300

xcloudx

Chassis Packer
May 7, 2021
Hello guys,
i'm planning to buy a desk mini x300 + 4750g + noctua l9a + m2 samsung 970 evo + 32 gb ram for my daily work with virtual machines servers, Java developers IDEs, web browsing etc. (no overclock intented)

I'm a litte concerned about what i've read about vrm and ssds temperatures expecially for intel models (see here and here )

- Are the AMD models suffering from the same type of problem ? I've read this thread but it's not clear to me if the tests you're doing are only for overclock-scenarios.

- If the vrm temp are really so high under stress, are they effectively impacting performance on 'normal' everyday use ? (no rendering, no stress test etc.). Has anyone managed to make some test on daily job rutines ?

Thanks for your help

TomHC81

Trash Compacter
May 21, 2020
www.sitepoint.sk
Hello guys,
i'm planning to buy a desk mini x300 + 4750g + noctua l9a + m2 samsung 970 evo + 32 gb ram for my daily work with virtual machines servers, Java developers IDEs, web browsing etc. (no overclock intented)

I'm a litte concerned about what i've read about vrm and ssds temperatures expecially for intel models (see here and here )

- Are the AMD models suffering from the same type of problem ? I've read this thread but it's not clear to me if the tests you're doing are only for overclock-scenarios.

- If the vrm temp are really so high under stress, are they effectively impacting performance on 'normal' everyday use ? (no rendering, no stress test etc.). Has anyone managed to make some test on daily job rutines ?

Thanks for your help
Hi, having 2 NVMe's in A300, Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB on the top side, 2 TB Transcend on a bottom (no direct air flow), and using that 2 TB for Chia plotting right now, and running at 69°C with no throttling at all.

ramalhais

Trash Compacter
Nov 15, 2019
X300 BIOS 1.60 looks very similar to unofficial beta 1.58. AGESA version is the same.
Testing the X300 Bios 1.60 will not make real sense. First of all flashing it to the A300 was neither easy nor successful so far. Even somebody could get it being flashed on the board, APU's based on Picasso and previous are no longer supported by AGESA 1.2.0.x. APU's from Renoir and above (to be released) are not supported as the bios checks the mainboard's serial number (A300 or X300) and refuses to work on an A300.

The only way to get the X300 bios working on the A300 will probably be a way to remove the board check or to cheat this serial number quest or whatelse. I am not a bios developer nor a nerd.

Best regards
My picasso 3400G still works in my A300 with X300 BIOS 1.60

Reactions: Phuncz and limsandy

Hammerfest

Trash Compacter
Jul 15, 2019
X300 BIOS 1.60 looks very similar to unofficial beta 1.58. AGESA version is the same.

My picasso 3400G still works in my A300 with X300 BIOS 1.60
You got a good guide for flashing over? Or need external tools for, I am tempted but time is not always on my side.

xcloudx

Chassis Packer
May 7, 2021
Hi, having 2 NVMe's in A300, Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB on the top side, 2 TB Transcend on a bottom (no direct air flow), and using that 2 TB for Chia plotting right now, and running at 69°C with no throttling at all.
Thanks for the feedback Tom. From what i know 69 is pretty high tough. My current laptop under load don't exceed 42°C. What is the temp on the first nvme during normal everyday use (browsing, ecc) ?

limsandy

Average Stuffer
Jul 3, 2020
Well, to quote myself, I found it at the best price in
Asrock deskmini usb hub

😀

I wanted to buy Asrock's official deskmini USB hub too last time. But with only USB 2.0 standard, and comparing it with other USB hubs on the market, I found it very hard to justify paying for it.

Take a look at Orico TC4U-U3 for example. I didn't have any peripherals using USB type-C so the slot in front of my A300 is never used. I have since used a Orico TC4U-U3 USB hub to connect my logitech wireless receiver, Wi-Fi dongle, etc..... Sure, aesthetically it's not as pretty but it works (better/faster).

ramalhais

Trash Compacter
Nov 15, 2019
@ramalhais ,

Can you tell us how you managed to flash X300 BIOS 1.60 into your A300 please?

Hammerfest

Trash Compacter
Jul 15, 2019
Ok, so you where able to update from the last version to the latest, but you couldnt use the flash feature in the BIOS you had to go into shell to do it.

Thats fair, as long as there is a way thats all that matters.

EDIT: @ramalhais : Ok, looks like some conflicting instructions, if I understand it correctly, I basicly only have to put afuefix64 (its not in the download?) and the bios on a USB, load into BIOS UEFI shell and run that command line with the x300 bios instead of the a300 bios, this correct?

Last edited:

ramalhais

Trash Compacter
Nov 15, 2019
Ok, so you where able to update from the last version to the latest, but you couldnt use the flash feature in the BIOS you had to go into shell to do it.

Thats fair, as long as there is a way thats all that matters.

EDIT: @ramalhais : Ok, looks like some conflicting instructions, if I understand it correctly, I basicly only have to put afuefix64 (its not in the download?) and the bios on a USB, load into BIOS UEFI shell and run that command line with the x300 bios instead of the a300 bios, this correct?

You have to do some work yourself. Read the posts on the forum, search, google.

Hammerfest

Trash Compacter
Jul 15, 2019
You have to do some work yourself. Read the posts on the forum, search, google.

" You have to do some work yourself. Read the posts on the forum, search, google."

I have to wonder if you are actually reading the posts yourself?
I quite literally pointed out that you made contradictory statements and edits that has lead to confusion for myself, and undoubtedly others.

In one post you talk about flashrom from USB with CSM non uefi, then you talk about BIOS UEFI flashrom, then you talk about USB UEFI afuefix64, then theres the edits regarding flashrom and afuefix64, plus your own admission of bricking, and replies from others about bricking.

If you dont want to review the steps required to help others out with a short and simple guide, fine, I get it, your not getting paid, but your replies are curt and imply everyone has enough ability to follow, and clearly, thats not the case.

Last edited: