Concept SFF Tower case gaming PC

svedrum

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jan 7, 2017
Hey guys!

I want to share with you my idea. Maybe here it will be interesting to someone.

A little background.

I started to monitor different startups, starting with N-CASE, then DAN CASES a4-sfx, NFC S4 MINI, DR ZABER CENTRY. These are very cool projects and they are unique each in its own way. But they all did not suit me for one reason or another. They were not available to me. All of these enclosures have one problem. They can not be placed close to the wall because either the wires interfere or the ventilation holes are closed. One case is very large, the other is very small. I realized that I needed a tower-type hull.
And then I accidentally found the KSliger DSE Breathe case. I was just in awe of him. BUT it is not on sale. And I decided that I would try to make a case that meets all my requirements.

The main requirements for the case:
1. The case should be as small as possible, and not just small, but should occupy a minimum of space on the table.
2. The computer in this case should be powerful.
3. The computer in this case should be quiet.
4. Ability to install two and three slot video cards.
5. Ability to install a cooler for the processor more than noctua nh-l9i.
6. Install the standard sfx power supply.
7. Ability to install the housing close to the wall.
8. All wires must be hidden or neatly folded.
9. Theoretical ability to install water cooling. 1 x 120mm radiator.
10. Install at least one 2.5 inch ssd.

At the moment I have the following components:
1. asus maximus vi impact
2. intel i-7 4770k
3. Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev.B
4. ram G.skill 16g
5. corsair sf 600
6. ssd m.2, hdd 2,5
7. zotac 1080ti mini

Zotac 1080ti mini is an excellent video card, but very noisy. Even in idle time, the fans created a perceptible noise. I decided to remove the factory fans and change them to 2x 120mm fans be quiet silent wings 3 120mm pwm. And about the miracle the temperature dropped from 84 to 67C while they were much quieter.

Ok, now I had to somehow put it all in order to understand how it would look and how it would work. I made it very simple. I took an aluminum corner, bent it and attached it to a wooden board. It looks like this:

Then I began to draw in the sketchup my future prototype. I decided that the case would be made of metal with a thickness of 1 mm. Looking ahead to say that I will not talk about how much time I spent on it and how many models I redraw. At the design stage, I had a lot of questions: how much space is needed for the processor's radiator, and how much is needed for the video card. And if I change the video card tomorrow, for example, the 3-slot asus strix? And if I want to swap the video card with the motherboard. Today I like when the case is to the left of the monitor, and tomorrow I want it to be on the right. But I still want to look at it, for example, on a video card. How do I do this? I thought. And every time I redraw and redraw. And here I had an idea that I had never seen anywhere else: why not make it so that the video card and the motherboard could be moved inside the case? After all, I need quite a bit, only 30-40mm. And so that you can swap them.

So I came to the final version. Below you can look at the pictures. What do you think about it?

UPDATE. I posted all the photos on the google drive, because there are problems with viewing.
link to google drive:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1K3SJK4xSVWQ0ciiFOjjN0LqAQOjNxkLs?usp=sharing

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Looks really good, I like the design. No shots of back of case, do you plan on top or bottom IO connections?

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
This is what I'm wishing for, I had the same feeling of awe when I first saw breathe dse case and bought in 1st batch instantly.

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
The only gripe I had with the breathe case was the inherent flex of the panels in the mid section, will you address this by making your case more rigid uniformally?

svedrum

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jan 7, 2017
Looks really good, I like the design. No shots of back of case, do you plan on top or bottom IO connections?
I took some more photos to show the location of all the components. The back wall is completely clean. This is done in order to be able to put the case against the wall. At the bottom of the rear wall of the case there are 2 holes through which all the wires will go out, a photo under the spoiler. The power button will be installed in the upper part of the case. In the front of the case at the bottom there are 2 usb 3.0 outputs, as well as microphone and headphone outputs. I would really like to see the output of usb 3.1 on the front panel as well as Type-C, but unfortunately I can not yet find such a panel on sale. I found only https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=748&area=en Silverstone and bought 1 copy, but it seems to me a little expensive. All outputs from the motherboard and video card are inside the case, so I refused the frame for the motherboard. From the motherboard to the top of the cover there is a space of 50mm. This is enough to fit all plug connectors. The only problem can cause a DVI cable. But it is easy to solve with an adapter at 90 degrees. The topmost cover is decorative. I plan to install it on magnets (for quick access to connectors), as well as the ability to fasten it with screws. Thank you for your interest, I will be happy to answer future questions.

Reactions: Nanook and rfarmer

svedrum

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jan 7, 2017
The only gripe I had with the breathe case was the inherent flex of the panels in the mid section, will you address this by making your case more rigid uniformally?

Yes of course. I saw this problem in reviews, so at the very beginning of the design for the mid section of the case I made a bend around the perimeter, a shelf of at least 8mm. This should give rigidity when installing components. Below I have uploaded a photo, you can see it. What do you think of it?
below 19 photos. You can scroll through them or click on the photo to open a large.

lawney

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 28, 2018
design reminds me of the Corsair ONE
which would be a nice one to make work in a creative way

svedrum

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jan 7, 2017
Yes please tell use the status. Very interesting project. :-)
Thank you very much for your interest in my project:). At the moment, the drawings have been transferred to production and I am waiting for my turn to make a prototype. After the prototype is ready, I will begin tests with real hardware. Perhaps it may be some changes in the design. After that, I want to send a case for reviewing Linus Sebastian and HardwareCanucks. If my project will be interesting, then I plan to manufacture a small series for those who would like to have such a case.

Reactions: Alur

Alur

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 9, 2019
Thank you very much for your interest in my project:). At the moment, the drawings have been transferred to production and I am waiting for my turn to make a prototype. After the prototype is ready, I will begin tests with real hardware. Perhaps it may be some changes in the design. After that, I want to send a case for reviewing Linus Sebastian and HardwareCanucks. If my project will be interesting, then I plan to manufacture a small series for those who would like to have such a case.
Those are amazing news!! thanks for sharing!! keep us updated with the prototype please!

easy6000

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Aug 12, 2018
Could you tell me the max. width of the gpu which can be used? I am planing to use a 2,5-2,75 slot (~56mm in width) gpu. Also max. height and length of supported gpu would be interesting. Thanks.

Reactions: svedrum

svedrum

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jan 7, 2017
Could you tell me the max. width of the gpu which can be used? I am planing to use a 2,5-2,75 slot (~56mm in width) gpu. Also max. height and length of supported gpu would be interesting. Thanks.
Good question:). If you have noticed, the main case feature is the moveable middle part. The case width is 135mm and this width is divided between the videocard and CPU cooler. I planned the case in such a way that it will be possible to install the largest video card. If you move the middle part of the case to the side of the motherboard as much as possible, then there is a place for the videocard with a size of 320mm x 135mm x 68mm. I think this is quite enough to place the most powerful graphic card which are available on the market today. in the case it is also possible to swap the videocard and the motherboard. You can see it in the pictures. I will be able to provide more accurate dimensions after I'll receive the prototype and will test everything. If you will have any questions, feel free to ask me. I'll be glad to answer.:):):)

Reactions: Sashby