SFF PC Case List - Need Suggestions & Feedback

DntMesssWitRohan

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Apr 12, 2017
Hello SFF enthusiasts, I've been working on a case list that started out as a mini-ITX list that would fit under my local airlines' carry-on regulations and since then has been expanded with the help of the folks over at r/sffpc. I would like to make the list as comprehensive as possible and start including more micro-ATX & ATX cases that fit under the SFF limits. In order to this, I would appreciate the community's help and suggestions.

The document can be located here.

You are able to comment anywhere on the document and feel free to use the chat feature to help contribute. I will go through the comments/chat and add in all the suggestions made as well as any suggestions made through this thread. I haven't made the document open for editing to anyone else for the time being but that could change as time goes (select a few editors).

There are also some holes that need to be filled in the document as I was unable to find the information through the manufacturers' specification pages and possibly some errors that need to be sorted out. I am also looking to possibly add more features of the cases as per your requests. If you have any specific column that you would like added, or would like me to tweak something, that can definitely be done!

Thank you very much for taking the time to help flesh out this document, I truly appreciate it!

EDIT: I have now opened up a copy of the master spreadsheet up for editing by anyone. My only request is that you highlight the changes you make using cyan blue and the edits will be merged over by me.

Last edited:

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I think it would be helpful to have the number of PCI slots on the case, in addition to the motherboard form factor allowed. For example, a Jonsbo C2 and Primo P115 both have 3x PCI slots, so they can support Flex ATX but not all Micro ATX boards.

Here is a link to a file I have with about the same information, I have around 450 cases on there now so feel free to pull whichever you like.

DntMesssWitRohan

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Apr 12, 2017
I think it would be helpful to have the number of PCI slots on the case, in addition to the motherboard form factor allowed. For example, a Jonsbo C2 and Primo P115 both have 3x PCI slots, so they can support Flex ATX but not all Micro ATX boards.

Here is a link to a file I have with about the same information, I have around 450 cases on there now so feel free to pull whichever you like.
Could you please PM me the link to the document? When pasted here it just inserts it into the thread as a view-only.

Reactions: zovc

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Thanks, both of you!

I agree that number of expansion slots would be a pertinent inclusion. Taking it a step further, it shouldn't be that much harder to indicate whether or the slots are low profile or not.

DntMesssWitRohan

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Apr 12, 2017
Thanks, both of you!

I agree that number of expansion slots would be a pertinent inclusion. Taking it a step further, it shouldn't be that much harder to indicate whether or the slots are low profile or not.
The expansion slots column has been added! I have also made a master copy of the list that is locked down and made a copy of it that can be edited with just a small little guideline - to highlight the changes made. Every so often I'll merge the two after making a copy of the original.

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com
Dreaming of some sort of centralized part repository. For most SFF projects there is lot of "will it fit" or "what is the size of X"
A master list - with an emphasis on dimensions - would be amazing. @Aibohphobia is this something that sounds feasible / maintainable? I've seen it done in other places.

I guess it's somehow promoting or stickying these documents?

Reactions: Biowarejak

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Dreaming of some sort of centralized part repository. For most SFF projects there is lot of "will it fit" or "what is the size of X"
A master list - with an emphasis on dimensions - would be amazing. @Aibohphobia is this something that sounds feasible / maintainable? I've seen it done in other places.

I guess it's somehow promoting or stickying these documents?

https://sffwiki.net

Reactions: |||

Smanci

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2017
I wonder if desktop footprint should be introduced as ranking method as smaller cases are often placed on the desktop. I do find myself appreciating it possibly more than just volume.

DntMesssWitRohan

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Apr 12, 2017
I wonder if desktop footprint should be introduced as ranking method as smaller cases are often placed on the desktop. I do find myself appreciating it possibly more than just volume.
I do currently have that column added but it is hidden after people commented saying it is a bit useless for some cases that can be swapped between horizontal and vertical orientations (e.g. Node 202). I can unhide it if you would like me to!

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Very nice list! Thank you for working on this and sharing it! You might want to add "NFC" in front of S4 Mini, since it's pretty much the ONLY way too distinguish it from the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini, especially when doing any sort of web search.

I have a question, how are you measuring Dimensions in Millimeters and Volume in Liters? you listed the S4 Mini as 4.5L when its 4.46, it seems you rounded up though. Why not include the 2nd decimal place in the volume measurement? Or why not also include internal volume and external volume?

I ask as the S4 mini is (according to it's purchase page) has the following details about it's dimensions: Exterior Dimensions (mm): 330x215x63 Interior Dimensions (mm) 324x203x57, which is 4.46L externally and 3.7L internally (according to this dimensions to Volume calculator). Which is also confusing since the S4 Mini's project page says it's 4.3L. :/ I'm not sure which to believe, lol.

DntMesssWitRohan

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Apr 12, 2017
Very nice list! Thank you for working on this and sharing it! You might want to add "NFC" in front of S4 Mini, since it's pretty much the ONLY way too distinguish it from the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini, especially when doing any sort of web search.
Done! :)

I have a question, how are you measuring Dimensions in Millimeters and Volume in Liters? you listed the S4 Mini as 4.5L when its 4.46, it seems you rounded up though. Why not include the 2nd decimal place in the volume measurement? Or why not also include internal volume and external volume?
I do round up the decimals to make it easier on the eye. I do however stack the cases with similar ending last decimal points based on their extra significant digits (e.g. 2.45 > 2.43 and so will go lower on the list). I'll add the second decimal on the editable list and let me know what you think (you can comment on the document directly if you prefer). I'm happy to make changes based on the community's suggestions!

As for internal and external volume, I have not added it because I feel like it would simply add bulk to the document, making it harder to read (and more confusing). Another reason is because that data does not exist for a majority of cases out there (internal vs. external specs). Most manufacturers fail to provide such measurements and there are cases with modifications for which it would be hard to measure internal volume. Also, since I originally started the document to be a "mini-ITX cases that are airplane carry-on legal", I figured going with the external dimensions was the safest bet to have an easy-to-read document.

I ask as the S4 mini is (according to it's purchase page) has the following details about it's dimensions: Exterior Dimensions (mm): 330x215x63 Interior Dimensions (mm) 324x203x57, which is 4.46L externally and 3.7L internally (according to this dimensions to Volume calculator). Which is also confusing since the S4 Mini's project page says it's 4.3L. :/ I'm not sure which to believe, lol.
Yeah, I don't understand the discrepancy between the measurements there. I just went with the external dimensions on that one (and I usually go with the biggest measurement manufacturers provide - except for the ones that include case feet and stuff, I feel like that's negligible).

Reactions: CubanLegend

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Here's a webpage I've been working on based on @DntMesssWitRohan's data, also as I mentioned on the What Did You Do Today? thread. It's a simple interactive app to allow you to find SFF cases based on properties more quickly.

This is using the old data. I will have to try to update it with the newer data with new volume info, but I'm adding in more cases as well. Now I need to iron out a few bugs in the code, and I also need to find a place to host it.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Min/max sliders rather than check boxes would be nice for GPU length, cooler height, and the like.

Rad support seems clunky, maybe separate top/front/rear?

Reactions: CC Ricers

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Min/max sliders rather than check boxes would be nice for GPU length, cooler height, and the like.

Yep, those will change soon. Probably will have two text boxes to enter min and max values, as those are easier to code in than sliders. I'll split up rad support options somehow with the different fan sizes.

@CC Ricers - Nice work! Also, what do you use to make screen cap gifs... just curious.

Thanks, and I used Quicktime to do a screen recording, saved as .mp4 (renamed it) then uploaded and converted the video on Gyfcat.

DntMesssWitRohan

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Apr 12, 2017

Yep, those will change soon. Probably will have two text boxes to enter min and max values, as those are easier to code in than sliders. I'll split up rad support options somehow with the different fan sizes.

Thanks, and I used Quicktime to do a screen recording, saved as .mp4 (renamed it) then uploaded and converted the video on Gyfcat.

I can help by splitting up the fan/rad support column into individual columns if you think it would still work well. I can try it on the editable list and see how it goes if anyone's interested.