Flat micro-ATX case iGPU machine with external >65W PSU ?

verybigfurrymonster

What's an ITX?
Original poster
Jan 21, 2020
I would like to switch from my current standard ATX Mid tower case to a more compact case.
I don't have a discrete GPU so ideally I want a "flat" case. I only need 65W to power my CPU so the PSU could be external. Is there any case like that?

-just enough height to fit a CPU with the standard (intel) cpu cooler
-external PSU (>65W)
-length and width just enough to fit a Micro ATX case
----------------------------
Reasons:
My motherboard is Micro ATX. My ram is DDR4. My 450W PSU is standard size ATX. I have a single 2.5 inch SSD. My CPU is an Intel core i5 6500 (65W)

I don't have any optical drive nor GPU. My mid tower ATX case feels pretty empty. I wish there was something more compact. I don't need 450W to run a single CPU+iGPU.

I don't want to have to buy a new motherboard/PSU/ram.

Last edited:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Kind of hard to tell due to this seemingly being the least photographed case in the universe, but might the G-Alantic GA-3102 suit your needs? The design is distinctly late 2000s/early 2010s, but it does seem to be a slim/flat mATX case at least. As for using an external PSU, you'd need an internal DC-ATX unit like J-Hack's One2, GuryHwa's G-Unique ArchDaemon or the classic PicoPSU for a 12V system, or something like a HDPlex for a 19V one, plus a suitable power brick of your choice. There are cheapo units to be found on AliExpress/Ebay too, but their quality is dubious. For a system with a 65W CPU, a single drive and a couple of sticks of memory you'd need a >100W unit (dependent on how closely CPU power draw adheres to TDP - some CPUs can draw a lot more while boosting).