"SFF" Keyboards

What's the smallest you'd go with a keyboard?

• 100%

Votes: 21 7.7%
  • 80%

Votes: 27 9.9%
  • 75%

Votes: 53 19.3%
  • 60%

Votes: 126 46.0%
  • 40%

Votes: 23 8.4%
  • Electrodes implanted into brain, effectively 0%

Votes: 16 5.8%
  • Something else

Votes: 8 2.9%

• Total voters

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
It's semi-useful, but it's also a giant infodump that's hard to parse.

What I'd really like to see is a chart that compares for instance, each of the tactile switches from each manufacturer, and each clicky switches from each manufacturer, etc. and maybe some commentary on things not gleaned from just the stats (eg. X manufacture's tactile switch have a larger tactile bump)

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Yeah that's going to be hard. There are and have been a lot of switches, so inclusive guides include way more than you could possibly buy, and easy guides only include the very basics. Cherry, Gateron, Kahli, Alps, Topre and maybe Zealios.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Well, as far as mass produced keyboards go, the majority of them use Cherry, Gateron and Kailh switches. Also, I was specifically talking about comparing cherry MX clones to the originals and each other, not Alps and Topre

I don't think it's necessary to have every keyswitch under the sun listed, just the ones that are sold most, which is going to be those three companies, and a half dozen colors (though I hear some of the companies made up their own colors)

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
A shame, really. I've seen lots and LOTS of pictures of people dismantling switches, and putting weights on switches, but nobody ever seem to actually tabulate their data. It's a shame because some of us can't glean proper information out of a random ass imgur album.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Holy crap, that is amazing. I'd love if there was a way to get this technology just as a switch bottom, so you could mod existing switches to be analog.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Jup, saw that earlier today. I like the split space, that opens up quite a few options. Pretty nice that Evan even managed to include a keycap set for Alps mount.

Though to be honest, if you're going 40%, you might as well go for the Planck. At that size, a standard ANSI layout ceases to make a lot of sense.

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 29, 2015
I changed from 104key master race to 60 key master race 2 days ago (through ahk bindings). I used a poker-style layout with capslock as fn. Holy crap it is so much more efficient than hunting arrow keys and home/end/pageup/pagedown (i'm a programmer).

just ordered an Anne Pro (cheap chinese pok3r replica with pbt and wifi :eek:). As soon as i ordered it, massdrop released the infinity 60% ver3. Darn it...

Links:

http://www.banggood.com/APP-Control...oth-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-p-1064055.html

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/infinity-keyboard-kit

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I had a locking Caps lock key XD. Modded it to non-locking by removing the locking tab, less destructive than butchering the keycap (locking Alps have shorter stem).

Mod project log here: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/apple-m0110-alps-skcc-lock-switch-mod.318/

Ah right, I remember that! Locking CTRL does sound like a nightmare.
Mine is just on RShift/GameMode, which I never touch accidentially. I actually put the switch in so I can easily tell whether the Game Mode is on or not, because there are no LEDs inside the board that I could turn on or off.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Ah right, I remember that! Locking CTRL does sound like a nightmare.
Mine is just on RShift/GameMode, which I never touch accidentially. I actually put the switch in so I can easily tell whether the Game Mode is on or not, because there are no LEDs inside the board that I could turn on or off.

Layer locking sounds cool. I don't have much things on my Fn layer, classic arrows (WASD) and home cluster + media keys.