"SFF" Keyboards

What's the smallest you'd go with a keyboard?

• 100%

Votes: 21 7.7%
  • 80%

Votes: 27 9.9%
  • 75%

Votes: 53 19.3%
  • 60%

Votes: 126 46.0%
  • 40%

Votes: 23 8.4%
  • Electrodes implanted into brain, effectively 0%

Votes: 16 5.8%
  • Something else

Votes: 8 2.9%

• Total voters

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
can ayone tell me what the layout this KB uses is called?

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
What do y'all think about this layout?

I've wanted a compact board with F keys and a numpad for a while, but never found one or had the motivation/ trust in myself to build it.
Then I saw some of the 99 key layouts and it started gears turning, and THEN I saw the southpaw and had to get to work.
Macros are unassigned, not sure what to put there.
Don't mind the novelty keys, that's just what I have on my pok3r right now.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
I don't know if I'm on the train of using such a small keyboard, but the layout makes a lot of sense to me.

I've been heavily considering getting a numpad/Razer Gameboard thingy for my left hand for a while now. It makes more intuitive sense to move my non-mouse hand over to a secondary board than to move my mouse hand. I like the ergonomics of clicking something with my right hand and not having to move my right hand over to the numpad, then back to the mouse.

Is this a market-available keyboard, or are you building your own? I couldn't glean that from how you worded your post.

ondert

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 16, 2017
I like %80 & %75 keyboards. Smaller than these would start to affect my usage in a bad way. (I always need function keys) Since my mother-tongue isn’t English it is nearly impossible to find custom keyboards and I’m restricted with products from well-known manufacturers.
I had a Logitech K360 before and looking for a smaller keyboard without numpad so model K380 provided that to me. At first I thought it might be hard to get used to those round shaped keys but it just passed quickly. Also, this blue color looks so nice and match with logitech m535 mouse.

Last edited:

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
I like %80 & %75 keyboards. Smaller than these would start to affect my usage in a bad way. (I always need function keys) Since my mother-tongue isn’t English it is nearly impossible to find custom keyboards and I’m restricted with products from well-known manufacturers.
I had a Logitech K360 before and looking for a smaller keyboard without numpad so model K380 provided that to me. At first I thought it might be hard to get used to those round shaped keys but it just passed quickly. Also, this blue color looks so nice and match with logitech m535 mouse.

I have the exact same keyboard but in grey, I love it, super slim and portable. It could look better, but the keys feel really tactile and snappy to type on, and the ability to quick pair to 3 different devices on the fly is really useful.

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
@zovc it would be built. There have been similar designs but what I posted earlier is exactly the layout I've wanted for years.

Right now I'm using a pok3r, which is a 60% board so it has less keys than what I posted:

lac29

Average Stuffer
Apr 1, 2017
I think 65% is the sweet spot for me. One thing to note to those who don't see themselves liking a smaller sized keyboard is that there is definitely a psychological/perception-based change when you use a smaller keyboard. Even though the difference in size isn't that big, I feel like I have a LOT more space on my desk and the feelings of efficiency (real or imagined) by using a second layer to have a numpad where there is no dedicated numpad or arrows when there are no dedicated arrows, makes it worth it imo.

I'm also someone who likes to keep my right hand on the mouse and not have to bring my right hand to use the arrows or press other keys. I'm excited to see if the Southpaw will be a significantly better experience for me. Right now I use my left hand pink on capslock (which for me in the function/second layer access key) and qweasdzxc for a numpad on my Whitefox/Truefox. I tried a split spacebar for a bit and wasn't totally sold on it.

Blakfetha

Caliper Novice
Aug 20, 2018
What do y'all think about this layout?

I've wanted a compact board with F keys and a numpad for a while, but never found one or had the motivation/ trust in myself to build it.
Then I saw some of the 99 key layouts and it started gears turning, and THEN I saw the southpaw and had to get to work.
Macros are unassigned, not sure what to put there.
Don't mind the novelty keys, that's just what I have on my pok3r right now.
This layout is pretty much what I want, though I would shorten the right hand most column of keys to make it more compact and add another key or two to the bottom row with a shorter spacebar for more options.
I've been wanting to design my own pcb, but the problems are:
1. I've never designed a pcb
2. I want to use either Kailh choc (PG1350 or 1232) and there aren't many choices out there for keycaps
3. I want it to be compatible with Bluetooth and a usb dongle and it might be harder to do??

Anyways, this is what I currently use:
Gons NerD 60 v2 PCB
Gons Skinny 60 housing
Gateron brown switches
Signature Plastics G20 blanks with O-rings

The case is basically a piece of bent metal with cutouts for the switches, it does show the pcb, but you would'nt wanna see it because I haven't cleaned it.

Reactions: Soul_Est

SashaLag

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2018
I recently bought a Sharkoon PureWriter TKL for my father. As he wants the ITA layout I wasn't able to buy the RGB one which has built-in media keys (but I created a script with AutoHotKey and problem solved)... Anyway, it comes cheaper so... Better anyway, just stick with blue backlight...

It has low-profile Kailh PG1350 switches (blue or red, I picked the red version) and I'm quite loving it... For its price, it sure deserves a mention as in this range (~50€), competition is pretty much non existing (at least with ITA layout)!