"SFF" Keyboards

What's the smallest you'd go with a keyboard?

• 100%

Votes: 21 7.7%
  • 80%

Votes: 27 9.9%
  • 75%

Votes: 53 19.3%
  • 60%

Votes: 126 46.0%
  • 40%

Votes: 23 8.4%
  • Electrodes implanted into brain, effectively 0%

Votes: 16 5.8%
  • Something else

Votes: 8 2.9%

• Total voters

DarkSide

Chassis Packer
Sep 29, 2018
my budget "WhiteFox" keyboard has just arrived :D

ondert

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 16, 2017
hey, are you happy with your mouse? it's a logitech mx master 2s, right? I'm willing to get one nowadays but have read some comments about color grading for this white-ish model.

Reactions: Biowarejak

DarkSide

Chassis Packer
Sep 29, 2018
hi, I'm very happy with 2S. I previously tried a black model from my girlfriend and I bought this white-ish 2S just before a few days. so I don't know for this color grading problems...

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
(whoa, I need to go back and re-read this whole thread)
I just built a 60% board based on the DDMilli PCB on KBDFans. Like any first time project, I goofed some stuff up. The problem is, to fix them, I'll probably need to disassemble the whole thing :\. So I'm a bit on the fence about that. I tried jamming an arrow key setup into it and the bottom row works fine. The problem is, the plate I have doesn't quite line up with where the switch contact assignments are so my preferred lineup isn't compatible. I'll likely have to put the up arrow key offset from the rest... or on the side... Hmm.

My bigger problem is that I put the left shift stabilizer upside down and a tiiiiiiiny bit to the right which means that my left shift key can't fit without interfering with "z". I had epoxied it in when it wasn't staying in its lane so I'll basically have to desolder everything, remove the plate, drill out that stab, and hope that I don't goof my last remaining spare stab. I've got an offset short shift (1.75?) there for now but I may need it for the other side if I rearrange it.

I know this is more than anyone really cares to know... I just needed to get it all off of my chest. This, and trying to put in the battery to enable bluetooth for on-the-go usage... I've got it working, but I'm not done yet.

LeDelmo

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 6, 2018
Hey, hope this is the right place to post this. But, I am looking for a new keyboard and would like some recommendations.

Looking at 10 Keyless right now. And I need something that can be used a ways away from the computer itself. Probably 6-8ft away. It looks like having the ability to plug a mouse into the keyboard is a luxury. Otherwise I am playing with the idea of getting a wireless one as-well.

A few models I have found is the HyperX Alloy FPS Pro, Corsair K63 Wireless, and Razer BlackWidow Lite

Affordability is important for me as-well. I'm open to recommendations in case anyone might know of a really good affordable keyboard that they think I should consider.

Thanks

Well, decided to go with the HyperX Alloy FPS Pro and the Corsair M65 Pro.

Last edited:

DarkSide

Chassis Packer
Sep 29, 2018
my new ikbc C87 with cherry mx brown arrived yesterday and I'm verry happy again :)

I bought separately DSA keycaps but default ikbc keycaps are very nice too.

previously overpriced Daskeyboard 4 Pro for Mac got "key chattering" after one year and two months. never buy anything more from them.

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
@LeDelmo I was in the same boat but didn't see anything on the market that really appealed to me. Then I discovered Cooler Master's new wired/wireless keyboards that use Cherry's new MX Low-Profile switches which feel so much more premium than standard MX switches (no wiggle).

Unfortunately, I couldn't wait for the Cooler Master CK620 keyboard since I am taking my Ghost on vacation to Portugal.
Once of the biggest factors that solidified my decision is that it will launch with ABS keycaps and the PBT keycaps won't come out until later and will be sold seperately. I do not like ABS keycaps in the slightest so I decided to get something else to hold me over in the interim.

The other factor was that it will be launched with MX LP Red switches first because Corsair has a limited exclusive on the MX LP Silver switches on ther K70 RGB (marketed as the Low-Profile Speed).
I like personally love Red (and Black and Nature White...) but I like Silver switches even more for the purpose of gaming.

Being that I need my cake and I want to eat it now, I decided to pick up a Vortex POK3R Black, with PBT, and with Silver switches.
When the CK620 with PBT keycaps comes out, I'll be all over it but in the meantime, this should be the perfect companion as I continue to take my Ghost around the world.

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
I asked on /r/MechanicalKeyboards/ as well, but let me try here as well because people here are great in finding the weirdest things :)

I am a traditionalist and can't live without the Home-End-PgUp-PgDn cluster and the function keys -- but I want something narrow. If you look at the Deck 82 or the DREVO Gramr 84 or the Mini 84 you will see they arrange all these keys in a single column. If you look at the Varmilo VA68M / Magicforce 68 etc that has the right number of columns but no Function row.

Is there an Varmilo VA68M with function keys? Or, barring that, is the Drevo Joyeuse the narrowest with all the keys I need -- and some I don't :) ?

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 22, 2017
Being that I need my cake and I want to eat it now, I decided to pick up a Vortex POK3R Black, with PBT, and with Silver switches.
When the CK620 with PBT keycaps comes out, I'll be all over it but in the meantime, this should be the perfect companion as I continue to take my Ghost around the world.

If that was backlit I'd be all over it. I tend to game in the dark and need backlit keys (I'm an old fart we weren't brought up with keyboards we had to type on constantly)

Will soldier on with my modded Magicforce 68 until the Coolermaster appears.

VisualStim

Master of Cramming
Mar 6, 2017
Any reason in particular? I was thinking of picking one up.
''

Been typing on the NightFox for almost a half a year and my WPM is all messed up, its very easy to misspell something with this keyboard. Its super heavy too.

For $200 you might as have bent me over and fucked me. you would think they would have at lease put a backlight on it.

lac29

Average Stuffer
Apr 1, 2017
''

Been typing on the NightFox for almost a half a year and my WPM is all messed up, its very easy to misspell something with this keyboard. Its super heavy too.

For $200 you might as have bent me over and fucked me. you would think they would have at lease put a backlight on it.

I have a Whitefox from the R1 run. The split backspace is awesome once you get used to it (I kinda figured you should be by now though). I think the ergonomics of the backspace being closer is better than the normal layout. Arrow cluster is there but you can also just do the whole capslock as fn key with wasd or ijkl (I use ijkl). In general, the higher price in custom kbs, the heavier they are. It's just a thing within the mech community where weights and heavy and weighted things are considered to be higher quality (just heavier metals, and sometimes more durable). You'll have to go polycarb if you want lightweight but nice customs.

VisualStim

Master of Cramming
Mar 6, 2017
I have a Whitefox from the R1 run. The split backspace is awesome once you get used to it (I kinda figured you should be by now though). I think the ergonomics of the backspace being closer is better than the normal layout. Arrow cluster is there but you can also just do the whole capslock as fn key with wasd or ijkl (I use ijkl). In general, the higher price in custom kbs, the heavier they are. It's just a thing within the mech community where weights and heavy and weighted things are considered to be higher quality (just heavier metals, and sometimes more durable). You'll have to go polycarb if you want lightweight but nice customs.

Nightfox is my first mechanical. Did not know that about weight.