"SFF" Keyboards

What's the smallest you'd go with a keyboard?

• 100%

Votes: 21 7.7%
  • 80%

Votes: 27 9.9%
  • 75%

Votes: 53 19.3%
  • 60%

Votes: 126 46.0%
  • 40%

Votes: 23 8.4%
  • Electrodes implanted into brain, effectively 0%

Votes: 16 5.8%
  • Something else

Votes: 8 2.9%

• Total voters

DarkSide

Chassis Packer
Sep 29, 2018
My primary keyboard is Daskeyboard 4 Professional Mac Edition Brown (greetech) Switches. This is a great keyboard for typing and brown switches is a sweet spot for me. Previously I had Corsair K65 with cherry mx red switches, oh man what a terrible keyboard in any aspect.
On another PC (hackintosh) I use apple keyboard with numpad but I just ordered AK33 white version with blue switches.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
guys what's your opinion on Gateron tactile brown switches? Are they reliable? I'm about to write myself down some on massdrop ,_,

EDIT: a word

Blakfetha

Caliper Novice
Aug 20, 2018
guys what's your opinion on Gateron tactile brown switches? Are they reliable? I'm about to write myself down some on massdrop ,_,
I've been using those for a while now, nothing broke so far, don't have to lubricate them. I'd say they feel similar to the Cherry MX browns, but they're slightly noisier when you press on the top side of the keycap (with the LEDs on the bottom side of the switch). Don't know if they've changed that.

Reactions: VegetableStu

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016

EDIT: a word
I have a board with them, and I don't really like them. They don't have a very tactile bump, relative to MX Clears and Zealios. I'd recommend the MX Clears or Zealios.

Reactions: VegetableStu

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Full size keyboard for easy of use in Excel.

Ewww, full-size and Microsoft (Excel) is the same sentence. I'm tempted to ban you :p.

I hope this is not an RGB keybiard XD.

Back on topic, numpad is really handy if you touch-type truck loads of figures on a daily basis. A separated numpad adds an extra cable, but you can place it on the left, thus allowing you to have you mouse/trackball/touchpad closer to your keyboard. Ergonomically wise, I don't understand why numpad and nav cluster are on the right.....

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Why not? The numeric keypad is operated one-handed, so it makes sense to put it under the hand that is dominant in most of the population, and it makes similar sense to place the navigational cluster there as well. it's where it is for the exact same reason most people use their mouse in the right hand.
Also remember that early computers didn't have mice, so that wasn't an ergonomic concern, and people are loathe to change which is why form factors have such sticking power and why it's hard to introduce new ones; keyboard layouts aren't really any different.

Flyingpepper

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 8, 2018
Ewww, full-size and Microsoft (Excel) is the same sentence. I'm tempted to ban you :p.

I hope this is not an RGB keybiard XD.

Back on topic, numpad is really handy if you touch-type truck loads of figures on a daily basis. A separated numpad adds an extra cable, but you can place it on the left, thus allowing you to have you mouse/trackball/touchpad closer to your keyboard. Ergonomically wise, I don't understand why numpad and nav cluster are on the right.....

That's what a Minivan/Roadkit combination is for. :p

Haha nah, not RGB! :p

Used to work on Wall Street so that’s the keyboard layout I’m used to along with Bloomberg Terminals. Mouse use doesn’t really matter as anyone proficient in Excel shouldn’t even be touching their mouse much.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Used to work on Wall Street so that’s the keyboard layout I’m used to along with Bloomberg Terminals. Mouse use doesn’t really matter as anyone proficient in Excel shouldn’t even be touching their mouse much.
I'm imagining speeding around Excel with Pro Starcraft players' APMs o_o

Reactions: Soul_Est