"SFF" Keyboards

What's the smallest you'd go with a keyboard?

• 100%

Votes: 21 7.7%
  • 80%

Votes: 27 9.9%
  • 75%

Votes: 53 19.3%
  • 60%

Votes: 126 46.0%
  • 40%

Votes: 23 8.4%
  • Electrodes implanted into brain, effectively 0%

Votes: 16 5.8%
  • Something else

Votes: 8 2.9%

• Total voters

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Update: I was able to find a firmware to flash for this keyboard (for some reason Drevo no longer has it on their site to download, had to find it off of a reddit post where someone graciously has it hosted in Google Drive) and the blinking key is fixed. For some reason, though, the FN+backspace doesn't turn the lights on/off, but that is something I can live with.
Unfortunately, manufacturer support varies a lot. I ended up knocking out my Obins Anne Pro's LEDs with Obins own firmware. Now to find another version of the firmware and hope that it works.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
Update: I was able to find a firmware to flash for this keyboard (for some reason Drevo no longer has it on their site to download, had to find it off of a reddit post where someone graciously has it hosted in Google Drive) and the blinking key is fixed. For some reason, though, the FN+backspace doesn't turn the lights on/off, but that is something I can live with.

Yeah I do remember having to just manually dim mine down and then raising back up when I wanted it.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Coolermaster CK620:
- Cherry MX Low Profile
- Backlit (RGB)
- 60% layout
- Bluetooth + USB

Not my cup of tea (1800 is the smallest I'll go) but this looks about the smallest you can get a mechanical keyboard - beyond shaving the edges of the frame off to gain a few mm - without designing your own switches.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'd guess not everyone thinks removing half of the keys is really smaller, because an old Nokia would have that beat.
(inb4 even more extreme example)

Reactions: Soul_Est

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 8, 2018
Back to relevant information instead of a pissing match XDXDXD the \| key above enter on the Drevo Calibur pulses the way it does because it is indicating it's in programmable mode. Which is annoying and I wish I knew it would do that without emailing the company. And there's no way to change that unless you flash it/take it out of programmable mode. So, just to let everyone know that. Other than that minor thing that drives me nuts because I'm particular, I love the keyboard and an quickly adapting to the reduced layout. I've had 0 issues with Bluetooth as well.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
So I'm in the middle of opening the old Desko keyboard to harvest the switches (they're vintage Cherry MX clear (or white, or "milky", and feels similar BUT NOT exactly like a brown). However, I found the switches rather... weird.

From what I know, Cherry MX switches have 2 metal "legs", right.. how come these have like.. 4? Do note that, there are no LEDs in the switches.

There's something inside the switch, which looks like a... resistor? But what's the purpose of the resistor?

Would appreciate if someone can explain this.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
So I'm in the middle of opening the old Desko keyboard to harvest the switches (they're vintage Cherry MX clear (or white, or "milky", and feels similar BUT NOT exactly like a brown). However, I found the switches rather... weird.

From what I know, Cherry MX switches have 2 metal "legs", right.. how come these have like.. 4? Do note that, there are no LEDs in the switches.

There's something inside the switch, which looks like a... resistor? But what's the purpose of the resistor?

Would appreciate if someone can explain this.
That's the normal 1 pole with diode & mounting pins layout. The diode is for N-lkey rollover

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
I'm kinda sad because in 10th grade a few years ago, I thought of making a touchscreen keyboard without physical keys that plugs into HDMI/DP and USB... And then ASUS went ahead and did that :(

Although tactile feedback would be trash...
When I head to China later this summer I will pick up a USB male to PS2 female keyboard adapter so I can use an old IBM (non-Model M but still good) keyboard with my computer and my modern Dell monitor/Logitech mouse :)

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Thanks for the info, but I still don't really understand.

Looking at most keyboard kits' PCBs, the diodes are usually attached onto the PCB, right? But this one is inserted into the switch?

So does it mean I cannot use these switches on those PCBs?
If you look at the picture of the top of the PCB, you'll see that sitting right underneath the front portion of the switches are diodes. The switches can be used in another PCB easily. You just have to desolder them like normal.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
If you look at the picture of the top of the PCB, you'll see that sitting right underneath the front portion of the switches are diodes. The switches can be used in another PCB easily. You just have to desolder them like normal.

So.. I can just desolder these switches & use it on other PCB like normal, right? Can I also use per-key LED with these switches?

* Edit:

Maybe a use case would be better:

Say I want to use these switches with this kit: https://kbdfans.cn/collections/diy-kit/products/kbd75-keyboard-set, and I want to add per-key LED. So what should I do?

(I'm quite a noob in keyboard building & electronics in general)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mtthwmths

ASCii

(ツ)
Jan 7, 2017
Honesty I would just buy new switches, they are fairly inexpensive.

Unless you have a de-soldering gun that is, if not it will be very time a consuming job and not worth the effort.

If you want to go in-depth in the subject PM me.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Honesty I would just buy new switches, they are fairly inexpensive.

Unless you have a de-soldering gun that is, if not it will be very time a consuming job and not worth the effort.

If you want to go in-depth in the subject PM me.

I have enough mech keyboards, this is just for fun & learning experience :) also, as of now I don't know whether I'll build a new keyboard or just to sell the switches.

I don't have a desolder gun but I can get a desolder pump or perhaps desoldering wick. Lame, I know, but better than nothing.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
So.. I can just desolder these switches & use it on other PCB like normal, right? Can I also use per-key LED with these switches?

* Edit:

Maybe a use case would be better:

Say I want to use these switches with this kit: https://kbdfans.cn/collections/diy-kit/products/kbd75-keyboard-set, and I want to add per-key LED. So what should I do?

(I'm quite a noob in keyboard building & electronics in general)
Yes you can. You will need a desolder pump and desolder wick. Also be careful when desoldering and soldering the switches. Too much heat will kill them.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Yes you can. You will need a desolder pump and desolder wick. Also be careful when desoldering and soldering the switches. Too much heat will kill them.

@Soul_Est, thanks for the info.

And to be able to use in-switch LEDs, I assume I need to open the switches & remove the existing diodes?

(I don't really need in-switch LED - I just want to know the options I have & how to achieve them)

Reactions: Soul_Est

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
@Soul_Est, thanks for the info.

And to be able to use in-switch LEDs, I assume I need to open the switches & remove the existing diodes?

(I don't really need in-switch LED - I just want to know the options I have & how to achieve them)
Oh no. You don't have to open the switches at all. The diodes are under the switches. When you put in the LEDs, just drop then into the small cut out area in the Switch housing. I'll try and find a good video that shows what I mean.