"SFF" Keyboards

What's the smallest you'd go with a keyboard?

• 100%

Votes: 21 7.7%
  • 80%

Votes: 27 9.9%
  • 75%

Votes: 53 19.3%
  • 60%

Votes: 126 46.0%
  • 40%

Votes: 23 8.4%
  • Electrodes implanted into brain, effectively 0%

Votes: 16 5.8%
  • Something else

Votes: 8 2.9%

• Total voters

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I don't know how you people live without cursor control keys.

I don't always use the numpad, and I'll very begrudgingly give up my F Keys, but you can't take my nav keys.

That's why you buy a programmable keyboard:

Reactions: Soul_Est

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Still terrible.

Next you're going to tell me Right Shift is optional.

Speaking of FN, though, I wish more keyboards would have them on both sides

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Still terrible.

Speaking of FN, though, I wish more keyboards would have them on both sides
Right shift is not optional for many. Looks like you're a prime candidate for the Magicforce 68 or Varmilo VA68M.

I am currently looking at getting the IKBC Poker (not the IKBC New Poker II) to start with. I did consider the Magicforce 68 but it only comes with Cherry MX Brown switches and I am not if they are right for me as I used to typing on keyboards require 55cN to 65cN of force per keystroke. I did have a look at the Zealio switches though. Building a mechanical keyboard, while fun and reassuring, is rather expensive for now.

Reactions: iFreilicht

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com

For me it is. I learned to play FPS before properly typing, so I use my left hand for shift and space. But on my atomic, I will have right shift again, hopefully I can start to do things properly there.

There's also a very interesting board in the making called the banana split:

I'd argue this is even better than normal ANSI because RShift is easier to reach. You do have to relocate '?' though.

Reactions: Soul_Est

SumGhai

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 14, 2016
For me it is. I learned to play FPS before properly typing, so I use my left hand for shift and space. But on my atomic, I will have right shift again, hopefully I can start to do things properly there.

I do this as well. My left hand is always in FPS mode, using my left hand for shift and never using right shift at all. Should I adjust my typing habits to include right shift more?

I've also got my right hand spread out on the home row floating between j and enter. My hand is fairly large and I find keeping all four of my fingers squeezed together for jkl; all the time just hurts my hand.

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
I'm sure that will be coming again in the future, and you can always try to find one on mechmarket or the likes.
It might, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. We'll see though, hopefully I can get my hands on one!

Weredawg

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 5, 2017
Picked up this CM QuickFire with MX Blues off CraigsList recently for $40. Replaced its caps, cleaned it up, and got white front printed PBT caps. I know it's not very SFF but it suits my needs. Before this I had a Model M which has long been sold. The fiancee appreciates the slightly quieter sound of these :p

EDIT: Just realized my right function and Windows keys were in the wrong spots... Fixed.

Last edited:

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Good looking keyboard there Wd, the CM Quickfire's a nice TKL.

I've had a Corsair K65 for a few months, and it's been brilliant for fitting into my LAN night bag.

The MX reds in the K65 feel great, but I don't feel I have opened up a new world of benefits for gaming, and have yet to try any other colour keys. I reckon that blues and anything too 'clicky' wouldn't suit me.

I did worry about developing mechanical keyboard addiction, but it hasn't happened yet.

Luckily, I don't have the money to throw at it and play with PC building, which has to remain a priority.

A mech keyboard for work would be nice though...

TinyAudio

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 9, 2017

Anyone have a 60% mechanical KB that can match this colour way?

This will be my first foray into customised KB so please be gentle with me.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com

Anyone have a 60% mechanical KB that can match this colour way?

This will be my first foray into customised KB so please be gentle with me.

You can absolutely do that with a normal 60%. I don't know how white the case exactly is, but a generic white 60% case seems to fit the bill quite nicely:

Maybe replace a few of the number row caps with blanks in the same colour as the vintage apple logo?

If you need a to match a very specific white, it'll be easier to get a black case and buy off-white keycaps from PMK, they have loads of white tones:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
So my several year old Leopold 10KL Cherry Red is starting to double register on the space bar. Is that just the switch wearing out?

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
So my several year old Leopold 10KL Cherry Red is starting to double register on the space bar. Is that just the switch wearing out?

Quite probably. It sounds like the contact inside the switch is now bouncing so much that it actually disconnects long enough for the keyboard to register a release directly after the first contact. Swap out the switch and you'll be good.