"SFF" Keyboards

What's the smallest you'd go with a keyboard?

• 100%

Votes: 21 7.7%
  • 80%

Votes: 27 9.9%
  • 75%

Votes: 53 19.3%
  • 60%

Votes: 126 46.0%
  • 40%

Votes: 23 8.4%
  • Electrodes implanted into brain, effectively 0%

Votes: 16 5.8%
  • Something else

Votes: 8 2.9%

• Total voters

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
@iFreilicht
Sure, although my line of thought was that I could put away the numpad until I absolutely needed to use it- saving desk space.
I actually have the Leopold FC660C bookmarked as well so it's ultimately between those too, although I like the different weighting of Topres on the 87U. That single keyboard would be a more affordable compromise.

@Phuncz
Thanks, it was a lot of fun. I saw that there were little to no reviews so I jumped at the opportunity. Now I am proud to say that it's the #1 search result.

Reactions: Phuncz

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
ure, although my line of thought was that I could put away the numpad until I absolutely needed to use it- saving desk space.
I actually have the Leopold FC660C bookmarked as well so it's ultimately between those too, although I like the different weighting of Topres on the 87U. That single keyboard would be a more affordable compromise.

Meh, between these two you gain a single row of keys of space.

cmyk78

Master of Cramming
Jun 7, 2016
What keyboard is this?

It's from a keycap drop on Massdrop, but it looks really interesting.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
What keyboard is this?

It's from a keycap drop on Massdrop, but it looks really interesting.

ZZ96. Don't know whether there are any similar boards, but I do agree that the layout is pretty damn awesome. No idea why something like this doesn't exist on the consumer market. All the keys and smaller size, that could easily be marketed towards gamers and professionals alike.

Reactions: cmyk78

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Been looking on MassDrop and found this Magicforce 49-Key Mechanical Keyboard. Not bad for the price ($79.99 -> $52.99).

The idea of a 45% board is interesting, but this one is not programmable at all and the enter key is way too large and sacrifices one sign key that would've been handy to have. The split spacebar is probably the dumbest thing on this board, because both keys just act like a spacebar! The only reason they did choose a split one is because there are no molds for this size of spacebar available, but it's hardly a feature worth advertising if it doesn't have any useful functionality whatsoever.

I'd even recommend a Vortex Core over this, but if you have a bit of money to spare there are much better and longer-lasting alternatives like the MiniVan or JD45. Probably tons more.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
The idea of a 45% board is interesting, but this one is not programmable at all and the enter key is way too large and sacrifices one sign key that would've been handy to have. The split spacebar is probably the dumbest thing on this board, because both keys just act like a spacebar! The only reason they did choose a split one is because there are no molds for this size of spacebar available, but it's hardly a feature worth advertising if it doesn't have any useful functionality whatsoever.
Yup, saw this in the discussion thread.

I'd even recommend a Vortex Core over this, but if you have a bit of money to spare there are much better and longer-lasting alternatives like the MiniVan or JD45. Probably tons more.
While I really like those keyboards you suggested, they are way above my current budget . I'll probably go for a Magicforce 68 and this later on.

Been looking at this site and especially, the Gherkin keyboard. Not my size but it is SFF.

Last edited:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
While I really like those keyboards you suggested, they are way above my current budget . I'll probably go for a Magicforce 68 and this later on.

Ah that's a very good choice!

Been looking at this site and especially, the Gherkin keyboard. Not my size but it is SFF.

I haven't heard of anyone using a 30% as a daily driver yet, but it seems to be a thing now. Even RAMA posted renders of one on his instagram. With keyboards there really is such a thing as too small.

Been tempted by the Plank on massdrop, but it is a bit on the expensive side. I'd love a version without the CNC machined aluminum case, to get a more interesting price.

If past drops have shown anything, jack will sell leftover stuff on OLKB.com, so I'm sure you'll be able to get a PCB soon enough.

Reactions: Soul_Est

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Shouldn't be a problem, complicated (some of the vintage) Alps and simple Alps both have the same plate mount and pin dimensions. The only difference is the mechanism inside, from what I recall.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Ah that's a very good choice!
Thanks. The only other one that I'm considering is the Drevo Gramr for around the same price.

I haven't heard of anyone using a 30% as a daily driver yet, but it seems to be a thing now. Even RAMA posted renders of one on his instagram. With keyboards there really is such a thing as too small.
Agreed. I had my head tilted for a minute when I saw it. XD

If past drops have shown anything, jack will sell leftover stuff on OLKB.com, so I'm sure you'll be able to get a PCB soon enough.
#mkbgoals

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
I've got a pok3r, but I really wish I'd been paying attention when the sentraq TK78 happened.
It's everything I want in a keyboard and I missed it.
Realllly sad I missed it. :'(

Edit: may as well throw in a picture of my pok3r:

Last edited:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I've got a pok3r, but I really wish I'd been paying attention when the sentraq TK78 happened.
It's everything I want in a keyboard and I missed it.
Realllly sad I missed it. :'(

I'm sure that will be coming again in the future, and you can always try to find one on mechmarket or the likes.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
I don't know how you people live without cursor control keys.

I don't always use the numpad, and I'll very begrudgingly give up my F Keys, but you can't take my nav keys.

Reactions: Arboreal