"SFF" Keyboards

What's the smallest you'd go with a keyboard?

• 100%

Votes: 21 7.7%
  • 80%

Votes: 27 9.9%
  • 75%

Votes: 53 19.3%
  • 60%

Votes: 126 46.0%
  • 40%

Votes: 23 8.4%
  • Electrodes implanted into brain, effectively 0%

Votes: 16 5.8%
  • Something else

Votes: 8 2.9%

• Total voters

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
there are also some very nice backlight compatible custom keycaps... just saying :)
Nope. No temptation. I am fine. I do not need thi-
Just as a teaser for @Aibohphobia this is a keyboard done with those low profile switches

Ooh, is that a short 1800 layout?

Damnit!

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Speaking of keycaps; where's a good place to get low profile keycaps for standard cherry switches (my searches tend to mostly dig up keycaps for low profile cherry switches)

Reactions: Biowarejak

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
for low profile, possibly your best bet is DSA keycaps on pimpmykeyboard.com
That looks familiar. It may have been one of the very few useful search results I found last I looked (admittedly it was a while ago).

On a side note, I need to clean my keyboard.

matt3o

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 29, 2017
Oh, me likey. Does typing on it feel that different than scissor-key switches due to the shorter travel though?

they are more or less like regular mechanical switches (mx brown, red and blue). just with a very short travel. I'd say nothing like scissor-keys

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I assume those keycaps are just prototypes?

Man, with a matching aluminum cover it would be such a sweet travel keyboard.

lac29

Average Stuffer
Apr 1, 2017
I've had several mech kbs ... this one I'm selling off soon:
Keyclack ps2avrGB w/R4 Zealios 78g:
Here are a few others:
Smart68+numpad w/R4 Zealios 78g: - already sold this ... the special feature is the button in the front of the case that can be assigned as a fn key or other key. Easy thumb access. In some ways it acts like a split spacebar (which is/will be the feature of 2017 within the mech kb community). The build quality is somewhat questionable on this.

Whitefox MX Clears (Truefox): This is my main kb. I think some of the design choices are a bit overrated ... like the reasoning for the space for the dedicated arrow keys ... to help with homing ... in reality it doesn't really work.

I also have experience with Varmillo TKL, Pok3r/Poker 2, and Das.

Finally I have this beauty coming in a few months ... it's a 75SQ. I feel like the cramped nature of 75% and other kbs squeezing everything in together, especially the F1-12 keys ... has really messed up the ergonomics. That's why I'm hoping the 75SQ ... with split spacebar (!), will feel a lot better: http://kbdlab.co.kr/files/attach/images/340/440/082/004/594490a9b279f41f3f02f3f58e31364a.JPG

Last edited:

matt3o

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 29, 2017
Whitefox MX Clears (Truefox): This is my main kb. I think some of the design choices are a bit overrated ... like the reasoning for the space for the dedicated arrow keys ... to help with homing ... in reality it doesn't really work.

sorry you think that way but the whitefox supports many layouts (w/ and w/o gaps).

lac29

Average Stuffer
Apr 1, 2017
sorry you think that way but the whitefox supports many layouts (w/ and w/o gaps).

Oh damn, called out by the designer himself.

Yeah, I just think after using it for awhile, that the real world benefit of the gap for the Truefox isn't something that exists for me. The homing/tracking (whatever you want to call it), that the gap is supposed to offer doesn't exist for me because

1) the arrow cluster are already in the bottom right corner (meaning it already provides somewhat of a reference spot) and
2) to actually feel the gap, you would normally do so using your thumb ... which "trails" the rest of your right hand ... so you are already "in position" when your thumb registers the gap.

Of course this is only my own feelings. But I did get the Truefox layout because I thought there would be this benefit. If you want to talk about layouts and gaps that I believe will be of real world significance to me, then I'd point out the f row on something like the 75SQ. The crampness of the 75% that I see nowadays with no separation of the f row is more of a homing/tracking issue than the dedicated arrow cluster.

Edit: I will also mention that I think the build quality is excellent and I like the ideas in general about IC's being open and looking at USB-C, etc. I wouldn't be using this as my main kb if I didn't like it.

Last edited:

matt3o

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 29, 2017
2) to actually feel the gap, you would normally do so using your thumb ... which "trails" the rest of your right hand ... so you are already "in position" when your thumb registers the gap.

I can comment on this one. We tried many layouts, the initial one was of course gap-less with a 1u key to the left of the left arrow. The error rate was rather frustrating. You use the left arrow a lot for navigation (especially for "home") and selection. Even just one error per day becomes annoying when you have to select some text. Adding that little gap reduced the mistypes to basically zero and even if you have to move your thumb and your whole hand (which is not optimal) it's still better than having to look at the keyboard or hitting the wrong key.

Also, consider that often people evaluate a keyboard after just few minutes (seconds?) of usage. Once you get used to the layout you totally don't need the gap anymore, but while you practice with the new keyboard it becomes very important and spares you few days of frustration.

Pelican

Average Stuffer
May 23, 2017
Gosh, I thought they were meant to look like gemstone pieces, but I see they are meant to be miniature worlds. I love the Cyan Lake one. Sadly, I don't think it would suit my keyboard.

Pelican

Average Stuffer
May 23, 2017
Generally, I find the whole artisan keycap thing to be pretty stupid, but those are pretty great.

Understandable. I find custom keycaps really cool as individual pieces, but I think they often look tacky and out of place when put on a keyboard (not to mention sacrificing comfort for style a lot of the time).