"SFF" Keyboards

What's the smallest you'd go with a keyboard?

• 100%

Votes: 21 7.7%
  • 80%

Votes: 27 9.9%
  • 75%

Votes: 53 19.3%
  • 60%

Votes: 126 46.0%
  • 40%

Votes: 23 8.4%
  • Electrodes implanted into brain, effectively 0%

Votes: 16 5.8%
  • Something else

Votes: 8 2.9%

• Total voters

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
As a stop-gap, a squirt of contact-cleaner into the switch (depress the plunger, spray through the gap) should restore normal operation for a while. It won't clean out the crud that contaminated the contacts in the first place (just move it off of them) so it is worth replacing the switch anyway within the next few months.

Reactions: iFreilicht

matt3o

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 29, 2017
I've been the longest lurker but as soon as I've seen the WhiteFox mentioned at the beginning of this thread I felt compelled to register :) (plot twist: I'm the whitefox designer)

65% is of course my preferred layout, and the following is what I am working on right now: the only gold whitefox in existence!

But I also retrofit an Apple M0110 (that I see is very much liked in this thread)

Well, I hope to be more than a lurker from now on...

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
I need to learn how to design a keyboard.
The magicforce I have is a nice keyboard, but I am let down by the lack of dedicated F keys, and Home/End being on a Fn layer is occasional annoying. Not to mention, I prefer keyboards with a USB Hub or at least as USB passthrough since I prefer wireless mice, and those are hard to find out of the big manufacturers (whose quality I find suspect)

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I've been the longest lurker but as soon as I've seen the WhiteFox mentioned at the beginning of this thread I felt compelled to register :) (plot twist: I'm the whitefox designer)

65% is of course my preferred layout, and the following is what I am working on right now: the only gold whitefox in existence!

But I also retrofit an Apple M0110 (that I see is very much liked in this thread)

Well, I hope to be more than a lurker from now on...

Another M0110 user, very good taste ! I love mine to death.

matt3o

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 29, 2017
Don't be so humble, you're a celebrity! Glad to have you on here! Maybe you want to design a small PC case next? ;)

Speaking of small form factor and keyboards I have these super thin mechanical switches that are really nice

I'm planning on doing something with them sooner or later. This is the layout I'm considering

Regarding a PC case... some time ago I've seen this concept drawing (source)

And I'm totally in love with it. I have to make a new build for myself these days, and my 3d printer is screaming for a project like that :)

Reactions: Broxin and Soul_Est

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Speaking of small form factor and keyboards I have these super thin mechanical switches that are really nice

I'm planning on doing something with them sooner or later. This is the layout I'm considering

Regarding a PC case... some time ago I've seen this concept drawing (source)

And I'm totally in love with it. I have to make a new build for myself these days, and my 3d printer is screaming for a project like that :)

Oh the switches are sweet, can you reveal which company makes them? Layout looks decent, like a split-space HHKB type of deal.

If you do take the ARMIGA on, make sure to post a build log! Also check out our 3D-printing thread for discussion on that topic :)

matt3o

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 29, 2017
Oh the switches are sweet, can you reveal which company makes them? Layout looks decent, like a split-space HHKB type of deal.

Absolutely! No secret there. They are made by Kailh. They have tactile, linear and clicky version. The clicky is honestly the best of the three. They are meant to be Cherry ML alternatives, but not clones (the pin out is different and also the stem).

This is the linear one disassembled

I should have some samples still available (but I have to check). If anyone is interested I can send one. The product ID is PG1350.

If you do take the ARMIGA on, make sure to post a build log! Also check out our 3D-printing thread for discussion on that topic :)

Will do!

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015

Very interesting. I'd love a small, but especially thinner keyboard than my Leopold 10KL for flying so I don't have to give up mechanical switches.

Reactions: Biowarejak

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I've recently bough my first mech keyboard still waiting on it to get here. It's a AJazz AK33 with Zorro black switches. Mainly bought one because I want a smaller keyboard (tenkeyless), but still with Function keys, and the price was just right for me. Hopefully it's not too cheap quality for the price.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I am still waiting for my Obins Anne Pro order at GearBest to finish processing and finally be shipped. It has been a full week now. :(

matt3o

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 29, 2017
I don't fall in keycaps trap anymore :) It's a rabbit hole and I already have other very expensive monkeys!

I designed these keycaps not long ago, high profile, beamspring-like

And by "designed" I mean that we made the 3d models from scratch and had the mold manufactured in China! They will be released this fall! So proud of them :)

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I don't fall in keycaps trap anymore :) It's a rabbit hole and I already have other very expensive monkeys!

Well so far I didn't either. I like making the sets myself and keeping with the orange/bright white colour scheme on my desk. But now that I have more disposable income, it's really hard to resist the temptation.

Actually, the other option I'm looking at is DSA Sublimated with DSA HC Granite Mono Legends and dyeing part of that orange. Would be much more unique than a stock set.

And by "designed" I mean that we made the 3d models from scratch and had the mold manufactured in China! They will be released this fall! So proud of them :)

Holy shit a completely new Profile then? Looks pretty similar to SA and I'm personally not a fan of "off-white" keys, but that's certainly quite an achievement! What do you mean by beam-spring-like?

Reactions: Biowarejak

matt3o

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 29, 2017
Holy shit a completely new Profile then? Looks pretty similar to SA and I'm personally not a fan of "off-white" keys, but that's certainly quite an achievement! What do you mean by beam-spring-like?

yes, it's a totally new profile. It's nothing like SA though :) It's closer to beamspring keyboard keycaps, like this one

If you are interested, here's the back story (very long read)

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I just can't give up key backlighting, so have thus far been immune form the custom keycap bug despite how nice they look.

Reactions: Phuncz