Prototype [Scratch Build]Project REAL CUBE (Back online, V3.0 soon)

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Thanks ;)
About the clean wood: I think you'd be better off CNC cutting it :D The carbon is only a thin layer though so I'll come off quite easily. At the moment I'm rather trying to keep it as good as I can though :D

If you want really clean cuts but at laser prices get it abrasive cut at a waterjet. Just make lead-in lines to your drawing, as the stream needs to start up and will splinter the wood. Once it has punched through, then you will get clean, beautiful lines...and no burn marks!

Last edited:

Minefoxi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
www.youtube.com
Finally I have got an update on this project for you

Today I build a test system in the finished parts for version 2.0 with my
Intel Core i7 4790,
Crucial 16GB DDR3,
GigiaByte Z97N Gaming 5,
Noctua NH-D9L,
Zotac GTX650 ti,
SilverStone SX600-G,
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB,
Seagate 1TB HDD,
Panasonic UJ265
and 2x 70mm fan

Link: Album of Test Build Log with Real Cube V2.0

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I think it's the a%2F, you only need the last part "rWJlr"

Code:
[MEDIA=imgur]id=a%2FrWJlr;type=album[/MEDIA]

It looks amazing.

Minefoxi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
www.youtube.com
I think it's the a%2F, you only need the last part "rWJlr"

Code:
[MEDIA=imgur]id=a%2FrWJlr;type=album[/MEDIA]

It looks amazing.

Thank you!

I deleted the a%2F but it still doesn't work, I also tested it with another album link which worked. The album is set to "Public"

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Looks amazing! I noticed some chipout on the countersunk holes for the rear fans, but that's just because the grill ends so close to them. Other than that, it looks great!

Also the embedding seems to work just fine, did you find out what was wrong or did it fix itself?

Minefoxi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
www.youtube.com
Looks amazing! I noticed some chipout on the countersunk holes for the rear fans, but that's just because the grill ends so close to them. Other than that, it looks great!

Also the embedding seems to work just fine, did you find out what was wrong or did it fix itself?

Thank you for the feedback!

Yeah, I didn't change the embedded album, apparently it fixed itself. Seems to just take a while.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
I really lIke how you hid the HDDs under the motherboard - can you talk a little about what standoffs you used to get the necessary height (maybe at ands part source?) And how much overall height it added to your build vs normal mounting?

Looks sweet, makes me wish I had a laser setup!

Minefoxi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
www.youtube.com
The standoffs are a combination of 20mm M3 polyamid spacers cut to 18mm, M3 thread inserts for wood and 25mm M3 flat head screws going through the motherboard and the 18mm spacers. Hope that helped ;)

And btw I'm also quite proud of the cable management around the drives under the MB :D

Minefoxi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
www.youtube.com
I'm making an assumption here, but I think there are no other good mounting spots for the drives, so by mounting them underneath the motherboard you're maybe even saving height instead of wasting it.

Yeah I had them in several spots in CAD and I was quite happy when this idea came to my mind. I originally lifted the MB from the standard 9.5mm height to fit the length of the PCI bracket which stood out at the bottom (or at least I thought it wood because of bad measuring) and the particular height comes from aesthetics because this way the IO shield cutout is even with the set back parts.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
The standard height for standoffs is 6.35mm, not 9.5. Other than that, those are all valid considerations. What do you mean by "cutout is even with the set back parts"?

Minefoxi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
www.youtube.com
The standard height for standoffs is 6.35mm, not 9.5. Other than that, those are all valid considerations. What do you mean by "cutout is even with the set back parts"?

As you see all the parts line up perfectly above the MB IO cutout, that's what I meant ;)

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
I'm making an assumption here, but I think there are no other good mounting spots for the drives, so by mounting them underneath the motherboard you're maybe even saving height instead of wasting it.

I don't think he is wasting height, per se, but in a height restricted build it would add to the overall height of the build. I think it is a very clever idea, personally

I found a bunch of standoffs of different heights available at Newegg.

Cheers!

Minefoxi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
www.youtube.com
Ah, got it! Why are there small corners in the corners of the cutout? Do they give the I/O shield more friction or something like that?

I'll see if I keep them. They are there to fill gaps in the I/O shield corners because at least my present I/O shield has some gaps in the corners and I thought it would look nicer (and also mabye give it more friction)

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I see. It's a nice thought and really isn't a problem if you just make the case for yourself, but if you decide to sell it at some point, you should make sure to be standard-compliant in that area.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
If you're going to do a square wood button, I'd make it a different type of wood so that it stands out. Or stain it, etc.

(Alternately, make it hidden)