Completed Salvo Studios S402: ~9L Steel Console Style Case

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Quick canvass: I'm interested in perusing one of the two following projects and am looking for some feedback.

1. S500 - console design, supports 80mm fans, mATX support, SFX/SFX-L, 3-slot PCIe
2. S400 Revisited - console design, clamshell cover panel, similar specs to S402

Do you maybe have a sketch for the proposed S500? I'm trying to visualise the layout. I'm guessing a S402 but a bit longer and taller to fit the additional width of mATX mother board?

Does the 80mm fan support imply slightly thicker case as well (plus the associated increase in CPU cooler height?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Do you maybe have a sketch for the proposed S500? I'm trying to visualise the layout. I'm guessing a S402 but a bit longer and taller to fit the additional width of mATX mother board?

Does the 80mm fan support imply slightly thicker case as well (plus the associated increase in CPU cooler height?

I don't have a sketch yet, just trying to get a feeler out there to see which is worth pursuing.

I haven't done the mock-up but the "S500" would be wider than the S402, possibly shorter, and about the same depth. The dimensions would be dependent on the PSU used along with what size PCIe device(s) would be supported.

CorerMaximus

Cable Smoosher
Nov 17, 2020
The front. reset button headers are unlabelled. From what I've gathered- the side with the arrow means power, the one without the arrow is ground.

The header that is 2 wide from the front is power, the header 2 wide from the back is reset. I'm confused about the two single wide headers though- one of them is labelled HX2, and the other HX20- what's positive and negative?

I can't find this referenced anywhere in the manual.

Edit- I don't think it made a difference? I plugged the 0 into negative, the other one into positive and it worked.

Last edited:

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
The front. reset button headers are unlabelled. From what I've gathered- the side with the arrow means power, the one without the arrow is ground.

The header that is 2 wide from the front is power, the header 2 wide from the back is reset. I'm confused about the two single wide headers though- one of them is labelled HX2, and the other HX20- what's positive and negative?

I can't find this referenced anywhere in the manual.

Edit- I don't think it made a difference? I plugged the 0 into negative, the other one into positive and it worked.

Unlike LED headers, power and reset headers are both simple momentary contact switches, it doesn't really matter which end you plug into the headers, the results is the same.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Unlike LED headers, power and reset headers are both simple momentary contact switches, it doesn't really matter which end you plug into the headers, the results is the same.
The LED headers on my buttons are also agnostic to the polarity. I needed to make a note in that in the manual and forgot. It doesn't matter how they are connected so long as they connect to the proper pairs of terminals for their functions.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
This one might work, but would require an adapter because the mounting holes need to be 11mm more apart (poor word choice but can't think of another way to say it right now). I like this one though because you could get a "reverse" riser that would work pretty well. I'll see if I can figure a way to adapt the mounting for that one. The technical diagram surely helps.
FYI, I just finished designing the Chris Payne PCIe bifurcation adapter for the S402. I'll be printing it tonight and see how it works tomorrow.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
FYI, I just finished designing the Chris Payne PCIe bifurcation adapter for the S402. I'll be printing it tonight and see how it works tomorrow.

Update: the design works and if you want one contact me directly as I'm probably not going to put this up on my website. The stock PCIe riser cable will not be long enough to work with this adapter, you will need to provide a new riser - of which I can help you find if you need to.

PXL_20201216_023629634_small.jpg
PXL_20201216_023653969_small.jpg

Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Here are the two machines I'm building for a co-worker's sons for Christmas. Build specs are:

ASRock B550i ITX Motherboard
R5 3600
2 x 8GB DDR4 3600 CL18 XPG RAM
IS-60 + 90-degree adapter
EVGA 2080ti XC Ultra
Corsair SF600 PSU

Customized Matte Frosted Acrylic Panels

LEDs: Custom aRGB strips glued behind the motherboards to backlight the logos. Other set is Phanteks aRGB strips - two fit nicely in the S402, one back, one front.

twins_1_small.jpg
twins_2_small.jpg
twins_3_small.jpg
twins_4_small.jpg

lizthegrey

Case Bender
New User
Dec 31, 2020
Build finally fully completed, after a lot of placeholder hardware (lol Geforce GTX 1070, Ryzen 3400G) and RMAs (never ever buy an ASRock B550M-ITX).

Case: Salvo Studios S402
Motherboard: B550 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ax
Processor: Ryzen 5 5600X
Heatsink: Noctua NH-L9a-AM4
PSU: Corsair SF450 Platinum
PCIE Riser: LINKUP Ultra PCIE4EXT11SL-028 (contrary to earlier reports in this thread, it works flawlessly)
Graphics: Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6800
Games primarily played: EVE Online, Civ 6, & Stellaris

Full gallery: https://photos.app.******/ZgiRdZSQrhAqj3vA8

lizthegrey

Case Bender
New User
Dec 31, 2020
The **** are goo . gl -- it's a Google Photos album. Frustratingly, I can neither post photos nor links to photos because of new user restrictions.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
The **** are goo . gl -- it's a Google Photos album. Frustratingly, I can neither post photos nor links to photos because of new user restrictions.

Suggest to use imgur.

The how-to is in my signature. You can add more than 1 picture into a imgur post.

Reactions: grsychckn

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
As an update, I recently tested my 6900XT with a LinkUp PCIe 4.0 riser cable and it has been working flawlessly so far. The model I'm linking below is a direct replacement for the included PCIe riser cable that came with the S402. If you have questions, please send me a DM or e-mail.