Completed Salvo Studios S402: ~9L Steel Console Style Case

MORDOCtheGREAT

Cable Smoosher
Jul 22, 2019
Oh boy. I am excite. Glad to hear the IS-60 fits as I have already ordered one since it was in stock at Amazon. Thanks for the updates and keep it up my dude.

Reactions: grsychckn

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Loving the look of this, I actually have a Scythe Small Shuriken 2 that I'm not using due a change of plans in build planning, so this should be perfect!

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Update: I spent most of my free time this weekend testing various coolers with the 3950x inside the S402. The only cooler that will work well enough to keep the thing from thermally throttling is the Enermax Aquafusion 120. When I tried running Prime95 on my C7Al, the system shut itself down due to thermal limits.

Once I figured out that none of the air coolers I used would suffice in keeping the 3950x cooled, I turned on Eco-mode and began testing. I haven't yet looked through the results but I've tested with the C7Cu, Thermalright AXP-100 full copper, and the ID Cooling IS-60. All the rest of my AM4 coolers will not work in the Asus X570 ITX board as the rear io cover and the m.2 stack interfere. Plus, I'm betting they cause a massive hot box for the CPU cooler. Edit to add that I also don't understand why the pump PWM interface cannot be configured as a fan PWM connector. Asus won't let you adjust the fan curve for that interface, it keeps it at 100% constantly so now I have to buy some more 4-pin splitter cables to feed my 3 chassis fans from one interface.

I'm probably going to have to acquire both an X470 ITX board as well as a 9-series CPU again so I can test the thermals on the rest of my coolers.

I'll try to get the results in graph form tonight and post them here but I'm going to be quite busy so it may take me a day or two.

Update #2: I just ordered 100+ 22mm push buttons. I'm going to have to solder the power and LED connectors onto each one but they are on their way. I also ordered a sample of a custom shipping box that will be just a little bit larger than the S402 so I can wrap it in 1/8" foam sheet and tape it up. No custom foam end caps or need to design something more complex.

Update #3: After installing the Enermax Aquafusion 120mm, I noticed that I need to add a zip tie mount to the PSU mounting bracket so that the hoses can be held down without pushing against the vented panel. Those will be added to the design for production. Because I had to use an SFF GPU, I installed my Vega 56 Nano and managed to also mount a slim 120mm fan behind it to extract air. I haven't tested yet to see what difference this makes but I'm hoping to get a picture soon of the setup I'm currently running because I think some people would be interested.

Only picture I have of the Enermax Aquafusion installed.
View attachment 427

Things to do:

1. Order rear reset buttons and wires. Get wires for power buttons as well.
2. Test and order new PSU cables (will have to wait for next prototype).
3. Order USB front panel parts.
4. Generate a BOM for shipping so I can order all the various hardware (screws, etc.).
5. Set a deadline for possibly acquiring a new source for the PCIe cables. I've already identified compatible units and gotten prices but they are more expensive than my supplier.
What air coolers do you have? I'd gladly send you a couple if you need for testing (I do not have time to test, although I doubt you do either lol, but if you'd be interested in borrowing my axp90 am4 copper, blackridge and c7g I'd gladly send them your way. No charge, just that you return them at some point in the next month or 2 :) )

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
What air coolers do you have? I'd gladly send you a couple if you need for testing (I do not have time to test, although I doubt you do either lol, but if you'd be interested in borrowing my axp90 am4 copper, blackridge and c7g I'd gladly send them your way. No charge, just that you return them at some point in the next month or 2 :) )
I have the following air coolers:

Silverstone AR11
CoolerMaster Gemini M5 and Gemini M5*
Thermalright AXP-100 all copper*
C7Al* and C7Cu*
Black Ridge*
Noctua NH-L9i
Thermolab LP53
Reeven Steropes*
ID Cooling IS-60*
Enermax Aquafusion 120*
UpHere 120mm AIO*

* = AM4 compatible

Thanks for the generous offer on loaning me your coolers but I think I have a good selection and you're right - I don't have much time to test these. In fact, I'm going to take any spare time this next week and try to get the rest of the AM4 testing done with my Asus mainboard (as many of the AM4 coolers don't fit) so I can either test some of the Intel coolers or reconfigure the prototype for photographs. I've managed to misplace all my photography equipment somewhere but I think it's with my in-laws. Regardless, I've delayed sending out my newsletter because I don't have good photographs of the prototype but it's taking too long to find all my equipment so I might just have to settle for camera pictures.

The 2nd prototype is slated to be finished March 17th. It will arrive unpainted to save both money and time.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I don't have time to compile my cooler findings but I can summarize what I've done so far. Below is an "eyeball" summary of each cooler and my test using Prime95 which means these are stress testing all the cores on the 3950X inside prototype #1 of the S402. Because I'm looking at the CSV to get the frequencies, the numbers vary slightly from core to core and from data point to data point. I tried to grab a number that looks like it was between the highest and lowest clock toward the end of the runs.

AXP-100 All Copper w/ A12x15 Standard-Mode w/o Cover**
3618Mhz @ 95C

AXP-100 All Copper stock Standard-Mode w/ Cover*
3560Mhz @ 94.8C

AXP-100 All Copper stock Standard-Mode w/o Cover*
3633.4Mhz @ 95C

Enermax Aquafusion 120mm AIO Standard-Mode
3825Mhz @ 94.8C

Enermax Aquafusion 120mm AIO PBO Enabled (NOTE: not running in Standard/Eco Mode)
3873.5Mhz @ 94.8C

C7Cu Noctua Chromax 120x25 Standard-Mode w/ Cover
3230.4Mhz @ 95.3C

C7Cu Noctua A12x15 Standard-Mode w/ Cover
2840.2Mhz @ 94.8C

IS-60 A12x15 Standard-Mode w/ Cover
3475.2Mhz @ 95C

IS-60 stock Standard-Mode w/ Cover
3321.4Mhz @ 95C

* no gap between the cooler fan and the vented panel of the S402 - it might not fit all units correctly
** does not fit without the cover removed. Perhaps there is still a market for the panel spacers I made for the S401

Single-core results will obviously vary but it takes me many hours to go through these coolers. I also tested the Reeven Steropes but forgot to transfer over the results - I'll add those as soon as I can. From memory I seem to recall it working slightly better than the IS-60 but it also contacts the vented panel so it might not work in all S402 units.

A side note, don't enable Game Mode on your 3950X and wonder why you can only see 8-cores/16-threads. It took me a long time to figure out what was going on because I also updated the BIOS after changing the motherboard to an ASROCK Fatal1ty B450. I'm hoping the B450 reduces temperatures/increases clocks because the Asus X570 surrounds the CPU cooler with the IO shield, RAM, and m.2/wifi stack.

Edit: As I reviewed my numbers, something is wrong. I have to assume that Eco-Mode was disabled for all runs as Eco-Mode on my B450 board actually throttles the clock down to around 2Ghz for Prime95. I'm pretty sure the tests above are all in standard mode but the PBO enabled run for the Aquafusion.

Last edited:

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I don't have time to compile my cooler findings but I can summarize what I've done so far. Below is an "eyeball" summary of each cooler and my test using Prime95 which means these are stress testing all the cores on the 3950X inside prototype #1 of the S402. Because I'm looking at the CSV to get the frequencies, the numbers vary slightly from core to core and from data point to data point. I tried to grab a number that looks like it was between the highest and lowest clock toward the end of the runs.

AXP-100 All Copper w/ A12x15 Eco-Mode w/o Cover**
3618Mhz @ 95C

AXP-100 All Copper stock Eco-Mode w/ Cover*
3560Mhz @ 94.8C

AXP-100 All Copper stock Eco-Mode w/o Cover*
3633.4Mhz @ 95C

Enermax Aquafusion 120mm AIO Eco-Mode
3825Mhz @ 94.8C

Enermax Aquafusion 120mm AIO PBO Enabled (NOTE: not running in Eco Mode)
3873.5Mhz @ 94.8C

C7Cu Noctua Chromax 120x25 Eco-Mode w/ Cover
3230.4Mhz @ 95.3C

C7Cu Noctua A12x15 Eco-Mode w/ Cover
2840.2Mhz @ 94.8C

IS-60 A12x15 Eco-Mode w/ Cover
3475.2Mhz @ 95C

IS-60 stock Eco-Mode w/ Cover
3321.4Mhz @ 95C

* no gap between the cooler fan and the vented panel of the S402 - it might not fit all units correctly
** does not fit without the cover removed. Perhaps there is still a market for the panel spacers I made for the S401

Single-core results will obviously vary but it takes me many hours to go through these coolers. I also tested the Reeven Steropes but forgot to transfer over the results - I'll add those as soon as I can. From memory I seem to recall it working slightly better than the IS-60 but it also contacts the vented panel so it might not work in all S402 units.

A side note, don't enable Game Mode on your 3950X and wonder why you can only see 8-cores/16-threads. It took me a long time to figure out what was going on because I also updated the BIOS after changing the motherboard to an ASROCK Fatal1ty B450. I'm hoping the B450 reduces temperatures/increases clocks because the Asus X570 surrounds the CPU cooler with the IO shield, RAM, and m.2/wifi stack.

I'm not even sure I have the budget to get this, but thanks for the thermal test.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Hey everybody... Just another guy lookin to get my mitts on one of these cases when they become available...
Keep your eyes on this thread and sign up for the newsletter (bottom of my homepage: https://www.salvostudiosltd.com) for the latest information. We are currently about 10 days away from the second prototype being completed!

Edit: BTW, I still don't have a supplier for the PCIe riser cables. I'm hoping that Li-Heat resumes production soon because their cables are really the easiest to work with as they are narrow and hold their shape better than others. They are not PCIe 4.0 compliant, but I don't imagine this is going to be a problem for several more years. I have found suitable replacements for just a few dollars more per unit, but it would be nice to work with a known company that has a quality product for a good price.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Hope everybody is staying safe out there! I'm assuming things will all be on hold for a while?
Not yet, but I wouldn't be shocked if for some reason my fabricator (in Ohio) has some problems with the final run once I issue the order. AFAIK, they are supposed to be finishing up the second prototype tomorrow and they reached out last week to ask some questions so I assume they are on track.

I've been able to submit orders for both the power and reset switches (with pigtails), much of the fastener hardware, and the shipping boxes. I've managed to get Li-Heat to custom-build two sample units of the PCIe riser cables I need to test before ordering and those have shipped as well. So far, I think I'm still on track for April/May in terms of availability.

I foresee at some point in the near future that I will be working from home a lot (3/5 days a week) in the coming month or two and when that happens I expect to be less distracted at work and this should provide me some additional time to sort screws, write up the quick-install guide, and perhaps even some time to review the S600/S700.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Man, I hope when it reach sale periode, the USD exchange rate will be better. As of now USD is really expensive for non-USD countries.

Last edited:

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Man, I hope when it reach sale periode, the USD exchange rate will be better. As of now USD is really expensive for non-USD countries.
There is still time. I have yet to receive the prototype #2 yet and even if everything is perfect I'm expecting there to be delays in manufacturing due to the outbreak and then I still have a ton of prep-work to do before I can have things ready to ship.

I am ordering the PCIe riser cables today. Unfortunately, I'm a little uncomfortable with how close the 60mm coolers are to the vent and so I might have to increase the width of the S402 by a few mm to keep tolerances good for all users (if I'm going to officially support 60mm coolers). An alternative I'm looking into now is finding slim (<15mm) fans that can be substituted on the more common 60mm coolers. I only need 1mm or so and I'll feel much better.