Production S700: Salvo Studios <23L ATX Steel Watercooled Unibody Chassis

IronLegacy45

Trash Compacter
Aug 26, 2018
I'm glad you responded because it got me thinking. I'm not going to compete with the Cerberus/X cases as I don't really have the capability to do so on a large scale. I'll always be a small operation that focuses on niche products. The thing that scared me was the "checking" of the boxes when it came to features and how robust the Cerberus/X is. However, you make a great point when it comes to aesthetics. The designs are very different in terms of the overall look of the case and I think I've concluded that will be sufficient for me to continue developing this case. Thank you for throwing in your 2 cents!
Your case also has another thing which i think the Cerberus X falls short at ('think' is the prime word here as i don't own a Cerberus X to prove my point. I am merely saying this based on what i have seen and heard) and that is thermal performance. If you see the completed builds of the Cerberus X, you will feel that the build is too cramped. There are a lot of components in the same chamber releasing hot air at the same time with hardly any space for it to breathe through. Also if you look closely at the case, you will see that the front intake cutouts are only 2 slits at either sides of the case, leading to poor airflow. But in case of S700 (pun intended), since the front is like totally open with holes in every corner, this case won't have any problems in that department as well!

Also, I have another suggestion to make which is somewhat important (atleast for me). If you see the latest Z390 ATX Motherboards, you will see that most of them have dual - EPS sockets. Now the best SFX power supplies in the market have the highest rating of 600-650W and they only include one 8 Pin EPS connector whereas the 750W ATX PSUs like the Corsair HX750 have 2 EPS connectors in the box. Is there any way you can modify the case to support an ATX Power supply? I am not pressurizing you in any way, if you think that will not be possible, it's not going to be an issue at all. It will just make our lives a bit easier, that's all.

Last edited:

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Also, I have another suggestion to make which is very important. If you see the latest ATX Motherboards (Z390, X470, even Z370), you will see that most of them have dual - EPS sockets. Now the best SFX power supplies in the market have the highest rating of 600-650W and they only include one 8 Pin EPS connector whereas the 750W ATX PSUs like the Corsair HX750 have 2 EPS connectors in the box. Is there any way you can modify the case to support an ATX Power supply? I am not pressurizing you in any way, if you think that will not be possible, it's not going to be an issue at all. It will juat make our lives a bit easier, that's all.

It's definitely possible. I went down this road a while ago when I was initially designing the S700 but I came across several difficulties I wasn't sure how to overcome. I had a problem primarily with the length of ATX PSUs. There are so many and some can be quite long. When I reviewed it I thought the benefits are minimal when an ATX is compared to an SFX-L because 850W SFX-L PSUs exist and should fill most users' needs. I didn't know that EPS connectors were becoming more popular - I'll have to look at that. However, there are several 6pin to EPS adapters that will work well (but your PSU shouldn't have thin modular cables). Wider GPUs would be supported though, but stands will also be required for the PSU intake on the bottom (I estimate an additional $20 cost for stands).

I think I will go ahead and play around with adding an ATX PSU. It will require an entirely new part be added to the assembly as I'll have to rethink how parts fit together. If I think it would help reduce the cost or I get feedback requesting ATX support, I might push for it. Thank you for the feedback - it makes me look at the design with a critical eye again to look for beneficial changes.

Reactions: annasoh323

IronLegacy45

Trash Compacter
Aug 26, 2018
It's definitely possible. I went down this road a while ago when I was initially designing the S700 but I came across several difficulties I wasn't sure how to overcome. I had a problem primarily with the length of ATX PSUs. There are so many and some can be quite long. When I reviewed it I thought the benefits are minimal when an ATX is compared to an SFX-L because 850W SFX-L PSUs exist and should fill most users' needs. I didn't know that EPS connectors were becoming more popular - I'll have to look at that. However, there are several 6pin to EPS adapters that will work well (but your PSU shouldn't have thin modular cables). Wider GPUs would be supported though, but stands will also be required for the PSU intake on the bottom (I estimate an additional $20 cost for stands).

I think I will go ahead and play around with adding an ATX PSU. It will require an entirely new part be added to the assembly as I'll have to rethink how parts fit together. If I think it would help reduce the cost or I get feedback requesting ATX support, I might push for it. Thank you for the feedback - it makes me look at the design with a critical eye again to look for beneficial changes.
In this case, I don't think anybody is and will possibly be able to do mulit gpu setups so 750W PSU will be more than enough to give enough juice. I have been scouting some standard atx psu's dimensions like corsair, evga, seasonic, etc. and I found that the longest one had a length of 180mm*150mm*86mm. Just keep these dimensions in mind when you are going to design this case :).

Also, couldn't you just mount the psu with the fan directed towards the left panel? You can keep about a cm of gap between the panel and the psu for proper airflow. In this way, you wouldn't have to widen the case too much and you won't have to design any attachments as well!

Last edited:
Reactions: grsychckn

IronLegacy45

Trash Compacter
Aug 26, 2018
Upcoming Corsair SF750 will have 2 x 8 pin EPS connectors.
Damn, how come i didn't know about this? Thanks man for the information. I searched literally every high end manufacturer's website from corsair to super flower but none of them have 2 eps connectors in their SFX PSU even if their wattage is like 850W. Now I think @grsychckn need not worry about ATX PSUs that much.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Damn, how come i didn't know about this? Thanks man for the information. I searched literally every high end manufacturer's website from corsair to super flower but none of them have 2 eps connectors in their SFX PSU even if their wattage is like 850W. Now I think @grsychckn need not worry about ATX PSUs that much.

News of it is very recent and has not made it on any review sites yet, hopefully the release date will be soon.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Upcoming Corsair SF750 will have 2 x 8 pin EPS connectors.
I'd expect such a tiny monster to cost a pretty penny but if I were to be building a boutique ATX computer in a custom Salvo case, well... I've already sold my kidneys so what's a few dozen more dollars?

(I mean all of this in the absolutely best way. I think I just watched Optimum Tech's video on the Asrock mATX Threadripper board and noticed they used a 8 + 4 EPS setup. Very exciting to know such a board can be paired with the SF750 for rock and roll magic).

IronLegacy45

Trash Compacter
Aug 26, 2018
I'd expect such a tiny monster to cost a pretty penny but if I were to be building a boutique ATX computer in a custom Salvo case, well... I've already sold my kidneys so what's a few dozen more dollars?

(I mean all of this in the absolutely best way. I think I just watched Optimum Tech's video on the Asrock mATX Threadripper board and noticed they used a 8 + 4 EPS setup. Very exciting to know such a board can be paired with the SF750 for rock and roll magic).
By checking the latest SF600 Platinum prices, i can say with about 70% probability that the psu will be priced at about $169.99 to $179.99

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
By checking the latest SF600 Platinum prices, i can say with about 70% probability that the psu will be priced at about $169.99 to $179.99

TBH, I think those prices are pretty fair considering the Corsair 750W ATX PSU runs $110.00.

Well, I'd like to think the Salvo cases run a little less than a kidney (other than my own) ;). Also keep in mind that I am designing the S700 to be custom water-cooled which means the clientele are already spending big bucks on fittings, blocks, etc. Not to mention the actual hardware components of the PC.

I've pretty much decided at this point to "wait for benchmarks" of the prototype before I start redesigning the S700 for ATX support. I do see some advantages to the change of design and I may eventually go that route but for now I want to be able to hold and tinker with the S700 in my hands first. Today I'm going to ask for an update on the prototype and see how far they are.

IronLegacy45

Trash Compacter
Aug 26, 2018
TBH, I think those prices are pretty fair considering the Corsair 750W ATX PSU runs $110.00.

Well, I'd like to think the Salvo cases run a little less than a kidney (other than my own) ;). Also keep in mind that I am designing the S700 to be custom water-cooled which means the clientele are already spending big bucks on fittings, blocks, etc. Not to mention the actual hardware components of the PC.

I've pretty much decided at this point to "wait for benchmarks" of the prototype before I start redesigning the S700 for ATX support. I do see some advantages to the change of design and I may eventually go that route but for now I want to be able to hold and tinker with the S700 in my hands first. Today I'm going to ask for an update on the prototype and see how far they are.
Nice! We will all be waiting for the thermal results as well with our fingers crossed :). Also, what kind of advantages are you talking about except for atx psu support?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Nice! We will all be waiting for the thermal results as well with our fingers crossed :). Also, what kind of advantages are you talking about except for atx psu support?
If I add ATX support, the supported GPU widths could be increased from the existing 120mm, perhaps up to 140mm. I might also be able to shave off the volume of the case a bit. What would be lost is the ability to add a second pump/reservoir (if you wanted independent loops), at least two 2.5" drive mount locations, and adds more restrictive airflow for the front radiator.

I'm not sure what thermals I'll be able to run that would be meaningful. I want to use the prototype to make my dual-Epyc build (how's that for a first custom loop build?), but I also have an ASRock X399 with a 1950X which I guess would be more meaningful to test. If I'm lucky, the fabricator might make two prototypes and then I could build both systems and test thermals. Either way, waiting is the hardest part.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018

In my head, the Salvo case may be the best value component as a part of this theoretical build. I basically was mentally tallying up everything that would go into a custom cooled build and reaching the conclusion that, were I to be building such a monster that

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Have you considered an inverted lay out? Would make routing the ribbon cable for the gpu easy.

I personally think the 360 with sff psu would be better looking than a full size atx and 140mm width and fans. I also like the hexagon look as well.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Have you considered an inverted lay out? Would make routing the ribbon cable for the gpu easy.

I personally think the 360 with sff psu would be better looking than a full size atx and 140mm width and fans. I also like the hexagon look as well.
That's a fantastic idea. Definitely going to play with that. It would save about $10/cable and keep the length below the PCIe max spec of 50cm (Li-Heat doesn't go beyond 50cm and if they do they will not warranty it).

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018

That's a fantastic idea. Definitely going to play with that. It would save about $10/cable and keep the length below the PCIe max spec of 50cm (Li-Heat doesn't go beyond 50cm and if they do they will not warranty it).

That does sound good. However, would you have to invert/flip the PCIe extender? I'm trying to visualize it and I'm using the extension ribbon locking tab as a point of reference. In my head, flipping the motherboard would put that tab facing the opposite side of the case which would point the PCIe device bracket forward instead of back. I'll try drawing it to suit my curiosity... Easy if Li-Heat already makes an inverted ribbon option I suppose.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
That does sound good. However, would you have to invert/flip the PCIe extender? I'm trying to visualize it and I'm using the extension ribbon locking tab as a point of reference. In my head, flipping the motherboard would put that tab facing the opposite side of the case which would point the PCIe device bracket forward instead of back. I'll try drawing it to suit my curiosity... Easy if Li-Heat already makes an inverted ribbon option I suppose.

Good points, I'd actually have to flip the chambers so that the mainboard was inverted and located where the PSU/GPU/flex slots are now and vice-versa. That would allow cables that weren't also inverted. Definitely going to have to walk through my models and see what implications this would have.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Good points, I'd actually have to flip the chambers so that the mainboard was inverted and located where the PSU/GPU/flex slots are now and vice-versa. That would allow cables that weren't also inverted. Definitely going to have to walk through my models and see what implications this would have.
Ah, yes, that is true. I forgot that's how mainstream "inverted" cases do it: swing the motherboard mounting panel to the opposing side of the case and then swing it upside down (can I say "starboard" and "port" side? I recognize the navy's wisdom in having set terms for "right" and "left" with a fixed respect to the front of the ship so even if you're facing aft, and "right" and "left" are inverted, "starboard" and "port" are fixed directions).

The tubing would still be a little funky but that was always going to require extra scrutiny.

Sidebar: every post I make on this thread is a reminder that I have no real idea of what I'd do with a theoretical HEDT system... look up "solution in search of a problem" and you'll see a picture of me clutching an S700.

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Yep just an idea. If it works it would definitely set the case different from everything else out there. Also I prefer inverted since I am right handed and like my case on the left side of my desk away from my mouse.

I am also seeing the runs for the system, rad with Inlet at the bottom of the case. Go from rad to cpu then from cpu to pass through port. Pass through port to gpu or pump doesn’t matter order here then back down to drain valve and rad again. You could even have a pump mount where one of the hard drives could go.