Production S700: Salvo Studios <23L ATX Steel Watercooled Unibody Chassis

IronLegacy45

Trash Compacter
Aug 26, 2018
Update: I scrambled to get revisions made to the latest S700 before the fabricator started working on the S700 and I just barely got done in time. That said, the new design *should* support triple-slot GPUs, but tolerances were tight so I need to have the prototype in hand before I make any official decision. It sounded like the fabricator would be punching the parts soon so perhaps they'll be don before Thanksgiving.
great! I can't wait to see the new prototype for the case!

Reactions: annasoh323

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Poll: Should I change the vent pattern for the S700? I got some pretty critical feedback on the hex pattern from the reddit/r/sffpc community when a customer of mine posted their build. I don't have an alternative modeled up but I'm curious what users really like in other designs.

TGAIO

Trash Compacter
Jul 19, 2018
Imo, i don't like the honeycomb patterns at all, it drives me nut. i love how the s700 looked.

Last edited:
Reactions: grsychckn

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Imo, i don't like the honeycomb patterns at all, it drives me nut. But i love how the s700 looked.
Not sure I am reading this correctly. Are you saying that even though you dislike honeycomb patterns, it looks good on the S700?

IronLegacy45

Trash Compacter
Aug 26, 2018
Poll: Should I change the vent pattern for the S700? I got some pretty critical feedback on the hex pattern from the reddit/r/sffpc community when a customer of mine posted their build. I don't have an alternative modeled up but I'm curious what users really like in other designs.
i don't know to be honest. It IS a love it/hate it design. I for one am neutral towards the design, but if you could make the size of the honeycombs a bit smaller, it would look a lot nicer

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
As an S401 person, I'm a fan of the hex design. I'll have to go check out the reddit post to see what people were saying about it. Personally, I think it creates a visually interesting pattern (vs round holes or even-grid rectangles) while making the case incredibly open (vs, well, round holes) and retaining structural strength (probably have the stock material choice to thank for that because, despite being so open, that thing is still incredibly rigid).

Psychologically speaking, perhaps it's because I've always liked Honeycomb cereal but we never bought it when I was a kid... Maybe I need therapy more than another computer...

On a different note, I was just over on this XSPC radiator thread for thin rads. I have zilch-o experience with loop builds, so I'm hoping someone with more knowledge might be able to provide a prognosis for how these might work in a potential S700 build.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
On a different note, I was just over on this XSPC radiator thread for thin rads. I have zilch-o experience with loop builds, so I'm hoping someone with more knowledge might be able to provide a prognosis for how these might work in a potential S700 build.

Unfortunately I don't have much experience myself with custom loops but I can say that assuming those thin radiators can cool sufficiently, you could configure them in a push/pull configuration with standard fans if the front of the S700 is extended. There's also the possibility that you only need one set of fans in either push or pull in which you'd just be gaining clearance for your plumbing or components.

I'm working on a render to contrast the S700 with a hex pattern and that with the smaller holes. I do think the hex pattern will allow for less restriction as the hole/surface area using circles is less than that of the hex pattern (just what that is I'll have to run some calculations). Also, the parts will be more expensive to produce because of the larger number of holes - but since I want this to have a more "premium" look and feel I think it would be justified.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Circular Vents similar in size to the S400 (with and without Radiator)

Compare to Hex pattern

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Unfortunately I don't have much experience myself with custom loops but I can say that assuming those thin radiators can cool sufficiently, you could configure them in a push/pull configuration with standard fans if the front of the S700 is extended. There's also the possibility that you only need one set of fans in either push or pull in which you'd just be gaining clearance for your plumbing or components.

I'm working on a render to contrast the S700 with a hex pattern and that with the smaller holes. I do think the hex pattern will allow for less restriction as the hole/surface area using circles is less than that of the hex pattern (just what that is I'll have to run some calculations). Also, the parts will be more expensive to produce because of the larger number of holes - but since I want this to have a more "premium" look and feel I think it would be justified.

Circular Vents similar in size to the S400 (with and without Radiator)

Compare to Hex pattern

Let us know how those calcs look when you get a chance to run them. Looking at it side-by-side, something about the round holes does look cleaner but it also looks more restrictive. I don't know, though, I still don't really see what people have against the honeycomb.

IronLegacy45

Trash Compacter
Aug 26, 2018
Also, since the front will be used as an intake, will @grsychckn add some kind of a fliter? Also the circular design kind of looks a bit generic in here, could you please make a render of smaller honeycombs?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Let us know how those calcs look when you get a chance to run them. Looking at it side-by-side, something about the round holes does look cleaner but it also looks more restrictive. I don't know, though, I still don't really see what people have against the honeycomb.

Using solidworks to calculate the surface area of the part (keep in mind this is the entire part, not just the single surface), the hexagonal holes result in a total area of 282.565 inches squared and with the round holes it is 327.511 inches squared. That means the hexagonal holes have at least 14% less surface area.

Last edited:
Reactions: annasoh323

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Also, since the front will be used as an intake, will @grsychckn add some kind of a fliter? Also the circular design kind of looks a bit generic in here, could you please make a render of smaller honeycombs?

I'll see what I can do tomorrow with 1/4" hexagons and update here. Oh, and I'll probably have another custom filter made from Demciflex, but this time it will be included with the case.

IronLegacy45

Trash Compacter
Aug 26, 2018
I'll see what I can do tomorrow with 1/4" hexagons and update here. Oh, and I'll probably have another custom filter made from Demciflex, but this time it will be included with the case.
That included filter will be a good move from your part :D. Also, if the circular holes give more surface area than the hexagons, then i would say go with the circles.

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
Speaking of filter, I am not your intended market but I just want to voice out what I saw from S401, the filter should be able to fit inside the case, or at least not visible outside.

IronLegacy45

Trash Compacter
Aug 26, 2018
Speaking of filter, I am not your intended market but I just want to voice out what I saw from S401, the filter should be able to fit inside the case, or at least not visible outside.
that filter is too thin to fit this one, man.

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
that filter is too thin to fit this one, man.
I actually dont get your statement. But to clarify, I am not saying to use the filter from S401 (I fully understand that he is ordering a custom size direct from demciflex), I am just saying that the filter should be properly integrated in the design but having it attached onto the inside and not outside of the case.

IronLegacy45

Trash Compacter
Aug 26, 2018
I actually dont get your statement. But to clarify, I am not saying to use the filter from S401 (I fully understand that he is ordering a custom size direct from demciflex), I am just saying that the filter should be properly integrated in the design but having it attached onto the inside and not outside of the case.
oh sorry i misread your post then, my bad :p

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
That included filter will be a good move from your part :D. Also, if the circular holes give more surface area than the hexagons, then i would say go with the circles.

I clearly failed to communicate what I concluded. A lower surface area means that the holes occupy more space and thus will allow more airflow. Therefore, the hexagonal holes allow more airflow. I'm going to get an even better calculation as I was thinking about this in my sleep and I think it will definitely prove the hexagonal holes will be better.

Unfortunately I don't see it being possible to place the filter on the inside of the front panel. This is because the radiator/fan combo will be mounted directly to the inside of the front surface (vent). That means to remove the filter for cleaning you'd have to unmount the radiator/fan combo which really isn't acceptable. I could make it a permanent filter by gluing it to the inside of the front panel, but again the only way to clean it would be to remove the front panel and with it the radiator/fans. The only quick and easy solution would be to make the filter external so it could be easily removed and cleaned when it gets dirty. I'm open to alternative ideas if you have suggestions on how I can make it internal and easily removable though.