Production S700: Salvo Studios <23L ATX Steel Watercooled Unibody Chassis

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Cool!! Never thought my suggestion would be picked up but i am loving it! But I also love inverted layouts soo

Now atx psu is definitely out. I feel the purpose of the case is to be small and sfx is the way to go especially since the Corsair 750 is coming. Plus no flexible sli cable so kinda no reason now. Also I find there will be difficulty cooling everything on a 360 rad if there is sli. But not sure if ek is doing single slot waterblocks if so people can sli on the given bracket with a terminal most likely. Maybe once a flexible sli cable is release you can redesign the flixble brack to purchase selerately as an upgrade?

The side panel is a different issue. At ether side panels universal to both sides? If this is the case may i suggest designing a panel that can be purchase separately where the glass just drops in from the top into the panel and locks with a screw. You could design it with a specific glass size and thickness and just link people to purchase the glass separately if they truely want it, and sell the glass panel seperately. I think I would only want glass on one side but that’s my preference.

Reactions: grsychckn

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Now atx psu is definitely out. I feel the purpose of the case is to be small and sfx is the way to go especially since the Corsair 750 is coming. Plus no flexible sli cable so kinda no reason now. Also I find there will be difficulty cooling everything on a 360 rad if there is sli. But not sure if ek is doing single slot waterblocks if so people can sli on the given bracket with a terminal most likely. Maybe once a flexible sli cable is release you can redesign the flixble brack to purchase selerately as an upgrade?

You actually got me thinking about something I hadn't previously. I wonder if it would be possible to run two GPUs in the same flex slot now that they support 3-slots of height. Those two GPUs could be stacked on top of each other and I would think it *could* mean that SLI and an additional 240mm radiator would be possible. My initial critique of this though would be the waterblock inlets and outlets as I'm thinking there would be too many areas for interference. I guess I might have to find someone who would grant me access to an SLI setup (RTX) for testing the clearance.

The side panel is a different issue. At ether side panels universal to both sides? If this is the case may i suggest designing a panel that can be purchase separately where the glass just drops in from the top into the panel and locks with a screw. You could design it with a specific glass size and thickness and just link people to purchase the glass separately if they truely want it, and sell the glass panel seperately. I think I would only want glass on one side but that’s my preference.

I was actually thinking of having steel panels with large access holes that could support mounting acrylic, glass, or steel sub-panels. The side panels are going to be the last part of this design that is completed as I'm sure it will be fluid until I can have something in my hand to critique.

BTW, thanks for the idea on the inverted mainboard. Reach out to me when I start selling the S700s.

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
You actually got me thinking about something I hadn't previously. I wonder if it would be possible to run two GPUs in the same flex slot now that they support 3-slots of height. Those two GPUs could be stacked on top of each other and I would think it *could* mean that SLI and an additional 240mm radiator would be possible. My initial critique of this though would be the waterblock inlets and outlets as I'm thinking there would be too many areas for interference. I guess I might have to find someone who would grant me access to an SLI setup (RTX) for testing the clearance.

Also keep in mind the fitting diameter when thinking about stacking the cards, not only will tube routing be tough, but the fittings may end up being "thicker" than the GPU with the block.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Also keep in mind the fitting diameter when thinking about stacking the cards, not only will tube routing be tough, but the fittings may end up being "thicker" than the GPU with the block.
Exactly. I just looked at the latest model and I don't think there will be clearance without the fittings pushing through the surface of the side panel. It is still possible though as with a custom side panel there could be a special cutout for just such a configuration, but it would immediately negate the idea of portability.

Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Exactly. I just looked at the latest model and I don't think there will be clearance without the fittings pushing through the surface of the side panel. It is still possible though as with a custom side panel there could be a special cutout for just such a configuration, but it would immediately negate the idea of portability.
That’s why I think you have to have a terminal for the sli to reduce the distance between the two cards and possible single slot gpu waterblock. There are some terminals that have the inlets on the side and not on the bottom or top. But I am just spit balling and thinking what people could possibly do. I have zero interest in sli but somebody may be crazy enough to try it.

I intend to be one of the first purchasers. So I’ll definitely contact you once your ready.

Also any headway on the fronts ability to accommodate a little thicker rad? I knew you were thinking of making it a possibility of possibly extensions to move it outward.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
That’s why I think you have to have a terminal for the sli to reduce the distance between the two cards and possible single slot gpu waterblock. There are some terminals that have the inlets on the side and not on the bottom or top. But I am just spit balling and thinking what people could possibly do. I have zero interest in sli but somebody may be crazy enough to try it.

I intend to be one of the first purchasers. So I’ll definitely contact you once your ready.

Also any headway on the fronts ability to accommodate a little thicker rad? I knew you were thinking of making it a possibility of possibly extensions to move it outward.

I've been looking at EK's website and I see only one option which would be to buy a 2 x 1-slot terminal and raise the GPUs to the top two PCIe slots. Then the inlet can go into the bottom of the terminal and the outlet will go parallel to the PCBs back towards the front of the case. The problem here is that there are no 2-slot NVLINK bridges. Plus, as you said there are less than 1% of users with SLI so there may not even be anyone interested in this (unless you use AMD).

As for the thicker radiator, I have added support for the front rad mount to move forward just over 0.8" (~20mm) so assuming your mainboard is 11.25" wide or less, the total clearance from the inside of the front panel to the nearest interference would be just under 110mm. If you use standard 25mm fans that would leave approximately 85mm for the radiator thickness. Keep in mind these are all based on my models in Solidworks which should be accurate but I'll have a better idea once I get that darn prototype in my hands.

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
I've been looking at EK's website and I see only one option which would be to buy a 2 x 1-slot terminal and raise the GPUs to the top two PCIe slots. Then the inlet can go into the bottom of the terminal and the outlet will go parallel to the PCBs back towards the front of the case. The problem here is that there are no 2-slot NVLINK bridges. Plus, as you said there are less than 1% of users with SLI so there may not even be anyone interested in this (unless you use AMD).

As for the thicker radiator, I have added support for the front rad mount to move forward just over 0.8" (~20mm) so assuming your mainboard is 11.25" wide or less, the total clearance from the inside of the front panel to the nearest interference would be just under 110mm. If you use standard 25mm fans that would leave approximately 85mm for the radiator thickness. Keep in mind these are all based on my models in Solidworks which should be accurate but I'll have a better idea once I get that darn prototype in my hands.
85mm that’s crazy thick!!

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Prototype 2 has arrived. Pictures will be incoming but I want to share a few of the changes that will need to be made from initial test fittings.

1. My Supermicro E-ATX board will not fit because even though the location of the standoffs are in the correct ATX locations, Supermicro uses different hole locations. I'm thinking I might try to use a slotted design with removable standoffs to mitigate this problem. I might also decide to not support "non-standard" E-ATX boards and instead modify a case for myself to install my Supermicro board.
2. Embossing on the flex bracket produced some bad results as some of the holes were too close to each other. Instead, I'm thinking about hemming the edges to provide a raised platform and dropping the embossing around the holes altogether. This might also prove to be less expensive.
3. With the front panel extended, too much of the underside cutout is visible (pictures will be necessary to explain). Of course, with the button location moved this is moot.
4. The front panel now requires 8 screws (4 top, 4 bottom) to fasten. I'm going to reduce this down to 4 (2 top, 2 bottom).
5. Rivets are interfering with one of the flex slots but this may be OBE once the GPU/PSU locations have been swapped.

I have already started re-arranging the motherboard to be inverted and the flex slots to swap with the PSU. This means that the next prototype will be near the same cost as this one ($2k).

Two of the frame parts were not painted when I picked them up - I could paint them later if I wanted to but only need them to check locations of holes, etc.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
First off, I apologize for the bad quality images. My wife broke my lens and the auto-focus doesn't work now. I'll be shopping for a new one.

Keep in mind that the front panel is in its "extended" position and that when mounted to be smaller, it brings the front panel in by 0.8". I've got a lot of work to do in double-checking that the flex slots work like they should. The GPU slots line up perfectly which is great. The PCIe extenders will be too thick to run more than one behind the mainboard so I'm going to have to open up some space for multiple PCIe extenders.

I'm now going back and forth on inverting the mainboard because if I do it will likely make mounting the DDC pump/reservoir combo difficult since the mounts are on the bottom. If the only advantage is shorter PCIe extenders, I think I might leave the design as is. It would save me a ton of money as moving forward now with simple adjustments will be much easier for the shop. You'll note I have a 500W Flex PSU and a 750W SFX PSU installed. The flex slot adapters *should* be able to have 2 PCIe devices mounted at the same time inside one adapter (assuming the Li-Heat cables have clearance). If not, I'm not worrying over it as I think it unlikely many users would want this feature (unless you're running SLI watercooled).

Last edited:

Incognito

Efficiency Noob
Dec 12, 2018
Simply gorgeous. While I think that the 401 will meet my foreseeable needs, I'll be keeping an eye on this design as well. Thanks for all of your hard work / sleepless nights. I have 5 boys that like to keep me awake / suck my time (not a bad thing per say) . 13, 7, twin 3.5, 13 months.

These are awesome designs...

Reactions: annasoh323

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
First off, I apologize for the bad quality images. My wife broke my lens and the auto-focus doesn't work now. I'll be shopping for a new one.

Keep in mind that the front panel is in its "extended" position and that when mounted to be smaller, it brings the front panel in by 0.8". I've got a lot of work to do in double-checking that the flex slots work like they should. The GPU slots line up perfectly which is great. The PCIe extenders will be too thick to run more than one behind the mainboard so I'm going to have to open up some space for multiple PCIe extenders.

I'm now going back and forth on inverting the mainboard because if I do it will likely make mounting the DDC pump/reservoir combo difficult since the mounts are on the bottom. If the only advantage is shorter PCIe extenders, I think I might leave the design as is. It would save me a ton of money as moving forward now with simple adjustments will be much easier for the shop. You'll note I have a 500W Flex PSU and a 750W SFX PSU installed. The flex slot adapters *should* be able to have 2 PCIe devices mounted at the same time inside one adapter (assuming the Li-Heat cables have clearance). If not, I'm not worrying over it as I think it unlikely many users would want this feature (unless you're running SLI watercooled).
If you don't have the Flex PSU under the mobo, what else can you put there? HDDs?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
If you don't have the Flex PSU under the mobo, what else can you put there? HDDs?
2 x 2.5" drives. Will also fit in there with the Flex ATX PSU installed. Maybe that would be a great place to make a mount for a second DDC pump/combo if I drop support for the Flex PSU.

MrClippy

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2018

I'm liking the flex atx compatibility as it allow for option of more power were one to completely fill the flex expansion slots. Also liking the flex expansion slots as it leaves room for wi gig/network cards or extra m.2 expansions in addition to slide/multi gpu setup. How long are the pcie risers?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I'm liking the flex atx compatibility as it allow for option of more power were one to completely fill the flex expansion slots. Also liking the flex expansion slots as it leaves room for wi gig/network cards or extra m.2 expansions in addition to slide/multi gpu setup. How long are the pcie risers?
Right now the PCIe extenders are between 500-600mm. Anything over 500mm is outside of the official PCIe spec so Li-Heat won't warranty them but they will make them. Thermaltake makes them this long and I have one so I'm not really concerned. Besides, when using the middle flex slot 500mm will work.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I have a new camera arriving today and a new lens. I'll be taking a few more pictures of the flex slot if I have time. I have 4 flex slot brackets so I'd like to have them configured different ways so there can be some ideas about how I envision them being used. I also need to find a good solution for standing off the 240mm radiator. For now I'm going to use aluminum spacers but hopefully I'll figure out the thread size so I can buy some standard standoffs in the future.

Hopefully I'll also have my 2nd Vega Frontier Edition card soon as my two EK waterblocks have arrived. I'm going to try and mount them both in one flex slot and the 240mm in the other for my prototype build. I do actually intend on it being a fully-functional build (even if it will be half painted). I'm super excited to get the revisions made, but I'll need the time between Christmas and New Years to do so.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Right now the PCIe extenders are between 500-600mm. Anything over 500mm is outside of the official PCIe spec so Li-Heat won't warranty them but they will make them. Thermaltake makes them this long and I have one so I'm not really concerned. Besides, when using the middle flex slot 500mm will work.

I know the spec says 500mm but Linus says... (ridiculous Linus video warning)

some pictures of the flex slot with different configurations.

I'm trying to envision what sort of system could possibly go into a case this big and I keep ending up with "AV workstation." I've not got any experience nor clear ideas of what would be required in such a machine. I'm imagining that a single video card would suffice, paired with as much storage as possible (m.2 and 2.5" SSDs probably), and PCIe A/O cards. I probably won't be able to help needing to have external devices as well, but I'd think that I'd prefer an internal video capture/processing card and external audio processing. First iteration of this build will likely be with air cooled GPU and CPU AIO, just to keep it easier... If anyone has any experience in this arena, please get in touch!

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
So here are a few items I need feedback on as a result of my test-fitting gear into the latest prototype:

1. GPUs/PCIe devices and the flex slot: Each flex adapter will support two PCIe devices (either 2 single-slot or 1 single-slot/1 dual-slot configuration). The problem is the supported device width. I wanted to use the dual, watercooled radeon frontier edition cards in my own build but their width with the EK 2x1 adapter is something like 140mm which causes interference with the PSU or the other flex slot. Basically, the largest PCIe width the S700 will support is just around 120mm - so blower-style coolers only if air cooled (and NO waterblocks as they would be too wide).

I think I need to stretch the S700 to support at least one flex slot with a width up to 140mm so here are my two questions:
a. Are we OK with increasing the height of the S700 by nearly an inch (and thus the volume by another liter or more) to support wider PCIe devices?
b. Should I increase the height even more (40mm or just under 2 inches) to support wider PCIe devices in both the flex slots? This would potentially increase the support from 120mm to 140mm radiators as well.

2. PSUs: I'm not liking my use of space near the bottom of the mainboard. Initially, I tried to support another DDC-style pump on this side but it has proven to be too narrow and would thus cause interference between the reservoir and the mainboard. The pump by itself could be installed, but the reservoir would have to be installed elsewhere. Based on the feedback from #1, I'm guessing the height will be stretched larger by at least 1", maybe 2. If that happens, I should have enough room to add mounts for 2x3.5" drives behind where the FlexATX PSU sits. If the height increases by 2", I'd easily be able to add a DDC combo mount that would clear the mainboard (maaaaaybe even if I only increase the height by 1" and shift the mainboard closer to the top of the case). I'm also going to add a giant passthruough hole at the bottom to help route the PCIe extenders without having to go behind the mainboard. Of course, if the top flex slot is used for PCIe devices, those cables will have to route behind the mainboard (and probably require around 500mm lengths). So my question is: What else can you think of to mount below the mainboard? (Assume the Flex ATX PSU might not be mounted)

3. The watercooling hardware I am using are primarily 90 degree elbows. I have both rotating and fixed hardware. The clearance is tight for the CPU elbows and if users want to use 16mm tubing, they will have to use the non-rotating elbows to clear the side panels. If 14mm is used, the rotating elbows *should* fit without issues. Most AIOs will fit assuming they have articulating hoses coming from the CPU block (I have a thermaltake unit I need to test fit to see if it clears but Enermax will not because the inlet/outlet are fixed and require like 70mm vertical clearance from the CPU IHS. The entire width of each chamber is only like 67mm so after the mainboard, socket, CPU, and standoffs are taken into account, there's only like 50mm of clearance from the IHS to the side panel. I could make each chamber wider to accommodate more types of hardware but I'd have to do so on both sides, thus increasing the volume. If I also increase the height due to #1, the volume of the S700 becomes at a minimum something like 24L which I think puts it in a gray area of inefficient use of space. Pros for increasing the width: 1. More hardware support for custom loops/AIOs. 2. Front panel could now support 3x140mm radiator. Cons for increasing the width: 1. Larger volume. 2. More prototype iterations (more $$$$$).
4. Anyone want a handle? It would probably cost me $25-30/each if I design it similar to the S401 handle.

I think I have abandoned the idea of a capacitive switch. I just don't have the time to develop a solution and make the custom harness for each chassis that would sell. I need something inexpensive and easy this go around so I think I'm going to stick with the centered 16mm pushbutton just like on the S401. I already have sufficient quantities in stock, their small, and they work. With the height increasing, I would have enough space I believe to mount a top-centered button on the front panel. Also, the front can be mounted upside down so users could choose to orient this button at top or bottom.

Let me know what you think. I've been in a design rut for the 3rd prototype. I'm putting extra pressure on myself to get it right because I can only afford to make 1 more. If it requires more major changes, I'm going to have to abort the S700. If the 3rd comes back and there are only minor changes required (like hole sizes) things are good. Thus, for the issues above I've started the 3rd design several times only to throw everything away because I'm not satisfied making huge changes to the design at this point. Given the number of S401 units I'm selling (low), I would expect to only sell about 10 of the S700. That already won't justify the $4k I've spent just getting to the second revision. By the 3rd prototype, I'll be in around $6k with no hope of making any of that money back. Further, I expect the cost to be at least $250 + shipping to purchase. I don't intend on getting the R&D money back (at 50 units it would take more than $100 profit to do so). Also, other cases (e.g. Cerberus) can provide similar specs, have a little less volume, and support more standard equipment (CPU air cooling, etc.). All these things combined, I don't expect a lot of movement on the S700. Maybe I get surprised, but I will not stretch my neck out like I did on the S401 with an initial order of 130. These will be manufactured as orders come in most likely (also raising the average selling price). Just a dose of reality and a bit of tempered expectations for myself and others as the design phase comes to a close.

Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Wow, that's a lot to take in... I'll probably be slowly adding thoughts to this post throughout the day while I do other things (Happy New Year, by the way) so if it seems like my thoughts and words a bit jumbled and disjointed, you'd be right.

Just to reiterate, when I think of this case, I envision a video/audio editing rig with an ATX motherboard (mainstream vs HEDT depends on Ryzen 2 and how it impacts the mainstream computing landscape). Single GPU more probably than possibly in its own slot; may or may not be water cooled. Additional PCIe devices would serve as I/O for AV, possibly processing cards (not too sure what's out there or what's needed; we're still starting out). Maybe even additional networking cards would be a good idea. I think most of those ought to be single slot cards that can stack somewhat (PCIe bi/trifurcation possible?)

Re: size extensions, my opinion is that a height increase would be a pretty easy ask while a width adjustment would be a bit more murky. I would think that a height adjustment to provide extra clearance for only one of the flex slots would be appropriate. If someone desires to dual-GPU, they should probably go your route i.e. dual waterblocks in the same slot. However, I can imagine someone wanting to use dual FTW cards or something and that would throw a monkey wrench into those plans. Countering my own thought, Nvidia cards can't do that since SLI (NVLINK?) bridge wouldn't fit. However, since you were mentioning the other side of the case on the mobo side, the idea of having extra clearance to fit pump/res/3.5" drives over there does sound like a valuable addition. If that were the case, I wouldn't be against having room for both flex slots extended.

When it comes to the width, I don't have any experience with the kind of hardware compatibility needed. I think my opinion on it is that if, during your testing, you can't figure out a way to make custom and/or AIO builds work without the extra space, then the width can be widened ("width can be widened?" I apologize to my high school grammar teachers). If it's just a bit iffy where hardware choices can be made that can make good use of the space without undue hardship, then keep the existing narrower config.

In pictures: Height increase for one slot - :D. Height increase for two slots - :cool:. Width increase - :\

Pushbutton is fine, no problem. Handle I'm leaning against. The S401 weight already feels significant enough and throwing in twice as much hardware plus water cooling sounds like it'd be best to pick it up by the bottom with both hands anyway.

How are you connecting your dual video cards? Are you using seperate PCIe slots and extenders or are you using a bifurcator? I know that they say that the 2080Ti is the first card that can actually saturate a PCIe x8 connection but that's also just for gaming, not pro workloads which I assume you'll be doing with your enterprise cards.

Spitball thought #1: Would it be possible to make the SFX PSU slot a flex slot and then fab a bracket that mounts the PSU? Then, you could move the PSU up or down as needed. That could make PCIe extension cable manipulation better, assuming I'm envisioning that correctly.

No matter what happens from here on out, I'm still most joyously anticipating your full build in the proto! I think a lot of things will be clearer once you get a chance to tinker and build in it more. I'm staying tuned!

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
How are you connecting your dual video cards? Are you using seperate PCIe slots and extenders or are you using a bifurcator?

There is a dedicated PCIe extender for each PCIe connection. During my design of the S401 I bought some bifurcation risers but in the end they were much too expensive to use compared to the Li-Heat cables. The bifurcation riser with only 100mm length was $55 + shipping where a single Li-Heat cable was $22. Li-Heat also can make me custom-length cables just for the S700 while remaining in the $25 range. Perhaps there is a bifurcation riser without the cable that is cheaper and then I could use one Li-Heat extender to connect both together - I'll look into this. It will still be more expensive than just the single cable (so might only save money when more than one device is used).

QUOTE="annasoh323, post: 129669, member: 6726"]Would it be possible to make the SFX PSU slot a flex slot and then fab a bracket that mounts the PSU?[/QUOTE]

I played around with this sometime ago and concluded it was best to leave the PSU at the bottom where the pump/reservoir combo could also be mounted behind easily. If the PSU is moved up the DDC pump mount needs to have a new solution rather than the basic 4 slots in the bottom of the existing chassis. Plus, it doesn't really save any space as the PCIe slot widths still have to support either 120 or 140mm. Good suggestion though, I can tell you're thinking critically which is what I need.