Completed S401: Salvo Studios <8L mITX Steel Unibody Chassis w/ GPU & CPU fans in same direction

Greirat

Case Bender
New User
Apr 12, 2019
Update #2: Got my taxes back from the accountant today only to discover that I am going to owe a little more than I thought. This means a large sum of the capitol I planned on using for my next project is going to be required for taxes. On top of this, I was given a quarterly tax schedule based on my revenues to help avoid any penalties next year when filing. When a business begins reporting over a certain amount of revenue each year, the IRS requires a quarterly voucher be paid so they can be sure they get their money before the business can declare bankruptcy. Otherwise, there is a penalty to be paid when filing the taxes for that year. In summary, this will have an impact on future projects I have planned.

On a separate note, I got a quote for the C7 90-degree AM4 adapter brackets. It looks like I'll be able to offer them around $12 + shipping. I'm going to buy a small lot of them and hope to have them available within the next month or so.
My little brother really wants an s401 case but he was sad when he heard that you were out of cases . I might just give him mine and wait for the s402. Good luck with your taxes sir. My wife is an accountant so let me know if you have questions lol

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
My little brother really wants an s401 case but he was sad when he heard that you were out of cases . I might just give him mine and wait for the s402. Good luck with your taxes sir. My wife is an accountant so let me know if you have questions lol
There's still a chance, IIRC. @grsychckn is waiting on some extra parts to complete the last of the partial packs last I heard. Hopefully that's still on.

vanbeveren

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 21, 2019
So it looks like these Radeon VII cards are “dual slot” but 42mm...which is super close to 40mm mentioned on Salvo site.

Will it fit we think?

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Im selling my s400 case, come with custom cables and a sf600 gold PSU. (230 shipped conUS) posted on r/hardwareswap

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
So it looks like these Radeon VII cards are “dual slot” but 42mm...which is super close to 40mm mentioned on Salvo site.

Will it fit we think?

The Radeon VII will fit just fine.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017

Thank you, today I received most of the remaining parts I was waiting on. The major component I'm still waiting on are the PSU extension cables and I'm going to have to solder these up myself so it will still take at least a week or so.

Reactions: Greirat

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
On the subject of the vent holes, I am currently updating the design to use hex holes half the size of the current ones. Also, by saying I wanted to play with triangular holes, I meant I wanted to keep the fabrication simple by requiring a triangle punch tool and form something like an elongated half-hex pattern. That would break up the monotony of the straight-forward hex design. I'm going to start the thread for the S402 in about two weeks and then I'll be able to post the designs I come up with so there will be an opportunity to provide feedback.

Thanks to all who participated in the discussion, I read all the messages and really found them quite informational.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Update on the i9-9900k build I'm making for a customer. Pictures below. I have Noctua-ed all the things as you can tell. The only problem I have currently is getting the 120mm fan adapter to stay affixed to the C7 Cu. My solution to this will be epoxying two of the 120mm fan holes on top of the 92mm adapter.

At idle it's extremely quiet. During load it gets noisy (tolerable) and depending on how many threads are in use it can actually get quite loud (2 threads are worse than 16 threads). This is because I set the thermal power limit for the CPU on the motherboard to 95W short-term and long-term. This usually means when all 16-threads are in use (Prime95) the CPU throttles back down to 3.6-3.7Ghz on all cores. With 2 cores, it can sustain 4.8-5.0Ghz.

Picture below is with one of the mirror panels installed I'm making for him.

The following are pictures of the iridescent panels that are very expensive and only available in 1/8" thickness. These panels show blues and greens when against a black background. When against a white background it looks pink and purple.

Piewalker

Trash Compacter
Jul 3, 2018
Picture below is with one of the mirror panels installed I'm making for him.

The following are pictures of the iridescent panels that are very expensive and only available in 1/8" thickness. These panels show blues and greens when against a black background. When against a white background it looks pink and purple.

These look unbelievable! Both the mirror and the iridescent. So break it to us, exactly how expensive?

Aranel

Cable Smoosher
Jan 5, 2018
If I'm still in time with the post selling feedbacks of s401, here are mine:
I used to have a node 202 and I was interested in something like the zaber sentry, ie a case that could have fitted in a backpack but still with support for full size gpu. What eventually made me choose the s401 over sentry were the gpu and cpu facing on the same side, support for additional fans and the chance to add an internal dust filter.

Besides that, I love the hex pattern and even if the hex holes are wide the dust filter "covers" the inside of the case so that what can be seen are mostly rgb lights

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
These look unbelievable! Both the mirror and the iridescent. So break it to us, exactly how expensive?

The panel alone was $70. Even though I had cut 1/8" panels before, they turned out slightly warped because the heat from the laser caused them to deform as they were being cut. I have a better way to cut them now but I was still worried about ruining these panels as they cut, but they turned out great thankfully.

Sparkles

Trash Compacter
Jul 24, 2018
Update on the i9-9900k build I'm making for a customer. Pictures below. I have Noctua-ed all the things as you can tell. The only problem I have currently is getting the 120mm fan adapter to stay affixed to the C7 Cu. My solution to this will be epoxying two of the 120mm fan holes on top of the 92mm adapter.

At idle it's extremely quiet. During load it gets noisy (tolerable) and depending on how many threads are in use it can actually get quite loud (2 threads are worse than 16 threads). This is because I set the thermal power limit for the CPU on the motherboard to 95W short-term and long-term. This usually means when all 16-threads are in use (Prime95) the CPU throttles back down to 3.6-3.7Ghz on all cores. With 2 cores, it can sustain 4.8-5.0Ghz.

What's the black piece on the top? Fan shroud?

Reactions: grsychckn

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
What's the black piece on the top? Fan shroud?

Yes, that's the fan shroud I made to help extract air from the C7 Cu. It worked well when I was testing with the vented panel off so I left it on. I think the benefit with the vented panel on is that the 60mm fans cannot pull in the air from the sides.

Sparkles

Trash Compacter
Jul 24, 2018
Yes, that's the fan shroud I made to help extract air from the C7 Cu. It worked well when I was testing with the vented panel off so I left it on. I think the benefit with the vented panel on is that the 60mm fans cannot pull in the air from the sides.

Color me super interested! I've always seemed a bit iffy on my C7 Cu with the darn heatsink in the way. Having something to better pull the heat directly away from it would be awesome though maybe that one cable run at the top isn't helping my case.

Would the shroud be something you would be interested in selling if you find success in it?

Sparkles

Trash Compacter
Jul 24, 2018
@Sparkles

What case fans are you using there?

These suckers!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BD8HQLE/?tag=theminutiae-20

I did a few weeks of research before the case released to find something that was PWM, "quiet" and moves a decent amount of air. I'm pretty particular about loud fans, hence all the Noctua.

I keep them around ~2300RPM and they're more quiet than the GPU.

I'd pay good money for just a one-off updated chassis body that had the motherboard pushed down enough MM to fit the Noctua 25mm ones.

@gsrychckn ;-)

Brian_Buckley

Trash Compacter
Sep 26, 2017
I know this has probably been asked before, but is it possible to install a 120mm AIO alongside a shorter GPU like in the Sentry 2.0? The December wait time for the Sentry is a killer and I'd love for this to be a viable alternative.