Completed S401: Salvo Studios <8L mITX Steel Unibody Chassis w/ GPU & CPU fans in same direction

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
The panel alone was $70. Even though I had cut 1/8" panels before, they turned out slightly warped because the heat from the laser caused them to deform as they were being cut. I have a better way to cut them now but I was still worried about ruining these panels as they cut, but they turned out great thankfully.
Oh, good to hear that the 1/8" panels are a more viable option now. What did you change? Does perceived durability take a significant hit?
I know this has probably been asked before, but is it possible to install a 120mm AIO alongside a shorter GPU like in the Sentry 2.0? The December wait time for the Sentry is a killer and I'd love for this to be a viable alternative.
I think the official answer is that no, they're not supported. The unofficial answer is that I think there are holes there that should fit a 120mm fan. It's not quite as "unofficial" as putting a full custom waterloop with 240/280mm rad <casts shifting glance at @Piewalker> but it's that sort of uncharted territory. Can't say I've seen anyone attempt it yet but that's not to say it can't be done. There is an S400 build in the wild that has been modified to fit a 120mm AIO.
@Sparkles

one more question
What's going on at your power switch there?
You do something custom and/or different switch?
If memory serves... it's explained in this post.
Key passage:
Few highlights:
  • Replaced power switch with a 24mm Semitsu arcade button. Required drilling and filing out a bigger hole in the front. Also required shaving down the PSU cable for it to fit.
It's one of the neatest little mods I've seen on this case.

Piewalker

Trash Compacter
Jul 3, 2018
I know this has probably been asked before, but is it possible to install a 120mm AIO alongside a shorter GPU like in the Sentry 2.0? The December wait time for the Sentry is a killer and I'd love for this to be a viable alternative.
Yep, I'm pretty confident a 120mm AIO/CLC would fit in the S401 if you have a Mini ITX GPU, but routing the AIO tubing could be somewhat challenging. Be careful you don't kink the tubes with any extreme angles.

Reactions: annasoh323

vanbeveren

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 21, 2019
Does anyone know if a 42mm GPU will just fit in here?
Like this one?
(sapphire rx 580)

vanbeveren

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 21, 2019
I would even be game for that exact same white filter you're using, even on my black case.

The contrasting color coming through the vent holes might look totally awesome

vanbeveren

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 21, 2019
@Poblopuablo Does the mesh want to move around pretty easy?

(do the magnets slide easily basically?)

I see in one photo, the mesh is not taught which made me wonder if it moves easy.

My only concern would be if the intake of a GPU could easily pull this away from the Salvo casing and suck it right into the fan.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
@vanbeveren the magnets are super strong and the mesh is a plastic mesh (not like nylon or other thin flimsy filters). It's pretty rigud and wont flow away.

As for the lack of taughtness (I believe you are talking about the top). I didn't put magnets on that one... I'm kinda worried about the magnets causing issues. (I'm justbthinkinj about the 90's movies and people put magnets near PC's and they die..... But I think that's for hdd's)

vanbeveren

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 21, 2019
@Poblopuablo
Very cool!

Just bought some black
Going to give it a go.
I may do double sided tape - not sure yet - need to get it in hand to see.

Worst case - the harbor freight here has cheap rare earth magnets, and I have some magnetic "tape" from a screen door project still laying around too.

I do have a 2.5" laptop SATA drive in my Salvo.

Magnets for this a bad call?

Thank you for sharing this!

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018

I love the more subdued look with the mesh. Don't get me wrong I LOVE it without too, but with the slight mystery behind what's in it, kinda pulls it a little more together. :)

Also that's the Raijintek 120mmx 13mm thick RGB slim fan. (Comes stock with the Pallas 120 but is also available seperatly). It's the slimmest RGB 120mm fan out there. :)

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017

I love the more subdued look with the mesh. Don't get me wrong I LOVE it without too, but with the slight mystery behind what's in it, kinda pulls it a little more together. :)

Also that's the Raijintek 120mmx 13mm thick RGB slim fan. (Comes stock with the Pallas 120 but is also available seperatly). It's the slimmest RGB 120mm fan out there. :)
Looks great!

MrClippy

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2018
Update #2: Got my taxes back from the accountant today only to discover that I am going to owe a little more than I thought. This means a large sum of the capitol I planned on using for my next project is going to be required for taxes. On top of this, I was given a quarterly tax schedule based on my revenues to help avoid any penalties next year when filing. When a business begins reporting over a certain amount of revenue each year, the IRS requires a quarterly voucher be paid so they can be sure they get their money before the business can declare bankruptcy. Otherwise, there is a penalty to be paid when filing the taxes for that year. In summary, this will have an impact on future projects I have planned.

On a separate note, I got a quote for the C7 90-degree AM4 adapter brackets. It looks like I'll be able to offer them around $12 + shipping. I'm going to buy a small lot of them and hope to have them available within the next month or so.

Count me down for a 90 degree AM4 adapter! Also looking forward to 3000 series coming soon; CES cannot come sooner.

Reactions: Piewalker

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Ok - took a little time today to work on the S402. No promises this will be anything like the final design (especially the vent pattern).

As it stands, this is going to be more expensive to produce than the S401 due to the flex slot. I'll need to come up with some new ideas to save on production cost if I'm going to make this design feasible to sell. Lots of time to work on it so that's why I'm not posting this on a new thread.

P.S. The last S401 cases will be available on my site Thursday April 25th at noon Eastern.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
At
Ok - took a little time today to work on the S402. No promises this will be anything like the final design (especially the vent pattern).

As it stands, this is going to be more expensive to produce than the S401 due to the flex slot. I'll need to come up with some new ideas to save on production cost if I'm going to make this design feasible to sell. Lots of time to work on it so that's why I'm not posting this on a new thread.

P.S. The last S401 cases will be available on my site Thursday April 25th at noon Eastern.
At the moment, it looks that you plan to drop front USB ports?

Reactions: grsychckn

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Good catch… I really hope that’s not the plan.
I use the front USB-A port on my mine constantly for game controllers

I’d imagine a switch to a C port would be sensible though.

I'm not sure where I stand on the front USB ports. It will save 5-10% of costs just not to have them. I purchased some type A cable-based ones that are much less expensive than the type C boards I used on the S401 so I might go with type A only. No decisions made there yet.