Completed S401: Salvo Studios <8L mITX Steel Unibody Chassis w/ GPU & CPU fans in same direction

AndrewC

Efficiency Noob
Dec 25, 2018
Just got the case in today, was a very easy transplant, back up and running. First, some concerns:
Both the internal power cable and the PCIe riser card have some pressure points: the power cable on the power button, and the riser cable is pressed up against the side of the chassis. So far no issues, but it is a very tight squeeze
The 60x15 mm fans, even at lowest RPM supported by my board, are probably just not going to work for me. My system with Noctua fans runs silent unless under load, so the fans are quickly wearing on me
The case wobbles ever so slightly with the feet on. Took them off, tightened them up, but there is a very slight cantilever action from rear right to front left. So fat not an issue, might try to bed the feet so it sits flush

Otherwise, I really enjoy the case. Im a bit apprehensive about just throw it it in a backpack with the large holes, so I may try to find some or of sleeve for traveling, but overall I am pleased. I just might need to start an search for truly silent 60x15 mm fans, but Im not sure if thats a realistic target.

Reactions: grsychckn

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Wow, the opaques look way better, in my humble opinion! Is that from your usual supplier? Which color do they call that? I was tempted to try the pearl acrylic material for mine - forgot about it until now. :)
My supplier is Canal Plastics. I can get anything from them to use on the S401 so long as it is 18x32" and 1/4" thick. That particular color is the purple opaque and it looks better in my pictures than it does on their website.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Just got the case in today, was a very easy transplant, back up and running. First, some concerns:
Both the internal power cable and the PCIe riser card have some pressure points: the power cable on the power button, and the riser cable is pressed up against the side of the chassis. So far no issues, but it is a very tight squeeze
The 60x15 mm fans, even at lowest RPM supported by my board, are probably just not going to work for me. My system with Noctua fans runs silent unless under load, so the fans are quickly wearing on me
The case wobbles ever so slightly with the feet on. Took them off, tightened them up, but there is a very slight cantilever action from rear right to front left. So fat not an issue, might try to bed the feet so it sits flush

Otherwise, I really enjoy the case. Im a bit apprehensive about just throw it it in a backpack with the large holes, so I may try to find some or of sleeve for traveling, but overall I am pleased. I just might need to start an search for truly silent 60x15 mm fans, but Im not sure if thats a realistic target.

If you think there is a problem with the stands, I can ship you some new ones - just let me know!

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Thanks. Its a pretty small movement: https://ufile.io/l4346

Thoughts? I think I am OK with it for now, if it becomes a problem or I find it wobbling I'll let you know. Thanks for the super speedy support!

My first thought would be to try another stand. I guess it's possible the chassis is not perfectly square and that with a little "massaging" it might be coerced into a better alignment. There is going to be a small fraction of wiggle room for the rivets that secure the corners and I'm wondering if they weren't secured while being fastened. Regardless, I have spare chassis and stands for reasons like this so if you would like I can send you a new chassis with stands I know will be square. I can include a return shipping label so you'd still have to shift your gear into a new chassis but the issue should be resolved. Contact me via e-mail if you want to try new stands, chassis, or both.

Reactions: annasoh323

Zephyraeon

Caliper Novice
Nov 15, 2018
Finally got my case into Australia with all my other bits and pieces. Was hoping to have some build photos to show but ran into a couple problems unfortunately.

1. I can’t seem to fit my GPU in the riser, it’s 1-2mm offset, possibly because the metal IO plate is bent a little at the end? (See link below) I have a Ryzen 5 2600 so need to be able to install this to be able to use the case. I don’t want to do anything drastic to the card because I’m going to be replacing it in the next half year anyway so not sure what to do about it for now. Do most GPUs have this bend?

2. The 30cm custom mod cable I bought is too short for my motherboard. This is more of a slight annoyance but I’m really starting to regret buying this motherboard because it seems to have conflict issues with everything imaginable.

Images below:

Reactions: Sahaj

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Finally got my case into Australia with all my other bits and pieces. Was hoping to have some build photos to show but ran into a couple problems unfortunately.

1. I can’t seem to fit my GPU in the riser, it’s 1-2mm offset, possibly because the metal IO plate is bent a little at the end? (See link below) I have a Ryzen 5 2600 so need to be able to install this to be able to use the case. I don’t want to do anything drastic to the card because I’m going to be replacing it in the next half year anyway so not sure what to do about it for now. Do most GPUs have this bend?

2. The 30cm custom mod cable I bought is too short for my motherboard. This is more of a slight annoyance but I’m really starting to regret buying this motherboard because it seems to have conflict issues with everything imaginable.

Images below:
Dang man, sorry to hear that (and nice, uh, ducks in your profile pic?) What model of graphics card is that?

It's been a while since I've installed a video card but I have a hard time imagining that the bracket bend is the main culprit. You could try bending it back a bit with pliers and see if it helps. Anything on your I/O side interfering? Some folks were having issues with alignment on the slots.

The other thing I can think of... and this will require input from @grsychckn... unmount the PCIe extender? I don't want to suggest drilling out the holes for more flex since I don't know what's in there. If you don't plan on moving the case around a lot, and since it's a small card, maybe it'll be fine with just the bracket screws? You should be able to at least verify the system works. Hopefully someone out there has a less hair-brained idea.

Reactions: grsychckn

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017

Images below:

I see what you mean. Interesting though as I started test-fitting each case with a GPU as I assemble them beginning back in early December. The reason for this wasn't because of an alignment problem like the one you mentioned, but rather to see if the chassis tab lines up correctly with the GPU IO plate-tab holes.

1. Most GPUs have a slight bend towards the end of the IO bracket. This however should not provide enough resistance to keep you from installing your GPU. The bracket can even be bent by hand in most scenarios to massage it out of the way. I suspect however that it does not prevent your GPU from fitting correctly. I do however wonder about two things:
A. If you loosen the rear IO bracket screws, can you adjust the IO bracket to eliminate this gap?
B. If you loosen the PCIe extender screws, can you adjust the PCIe slot towards the rear of the case? (again, I suspect not because the mounting hole nearest the rear panel is only slightly oblong).
If you continue to have problems I will help you get it working even if that means shipping you a new chassis at my expense.
2. Did you order the 30cm cable based on my recommendation? If so, I'm sorry as perhaps my recommendations should be based on my personal hardware and apparently something is different. What motherboard are you using?

Don't hesitate to contact me directly with questions - I'd love to be able to help you be satisfied with your purchase.

Zephyraeon

Caliper Novice
Nov 15, 2018
I’ll try those suggestions, thanks.

The GPU is an OEM GTX 1060 3GB which came from a HP Omen Accelerator eGPU so it’s kind of a special case, my main concern is that I won’t be able to install a triple fan Gigabyte RTX which I’m going to upgrade to when I have the funds for the full black colour scheme.

The cable is definitely on me. You did suggest it but I should’ve checked because I knew the MSI B450I has a weird layout. I’ve seen a few builds with issues with this particular motherboard, the power button cables don’t tend to be long enough (I think the S401 are barely long enough but will be going over the middle of the mobo to fit), the USB 3 slot is obviously off a little too, and the Black Ridge CPU cooler apparently doesn’t fit either (which would’ve looked awesome in my all black S401). Topping it off with only having a single M.2 slot, definitely having some buyers remorse for the motherboard.

I’ll probably get another ITX motherboard so I can use the front IO but that won’t be for a few months yet.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I’ll try those suggestions, thanks.

The GPU is an OEM GTX 1060 3GB which came from a HP Omen Accelerator eGPU so it’s kind of a special case, my main concern is that I won’t be able to install a triple fan Gigabyte RTX which I’m going to upgrade to when I have the funds for the full black colour scheme.

The cable is definitely on me. You did suggest it but I should’ve checked because I knew the MSI B450I has a weird layout. I’ve seen a few builds with issues with this particular motherboard, the power button cables don’t tend to be long enough (I think the S401 are barely long enough but will be going over the middle of the mobo to fit), the USB 3 slot is obviously off a little too, and the Black Ridge CPU cooler apparently doesn’t fit either (which would’ve looked awesome in my all black S401). Topping it off with only having a single M.2 slot, definitely having some buyers remorse for the motherboard.

I’ll probably get another ITX motherboard so I can use the front IO but that won’t be for a few months yet.

Just looked at that motherboard - that is the worst location for front panel connectors I've seen. I'm actually surprised the front button wires were long enough to work at all. If you want, I'd gladly send you a new front button with longer wires. As for the USB cable - that sucks, did you buy it from moddiy.com? I'm pretty sure there'd be no refunds on the custom ordered products unfortunately but you could contact them and explain the situation in hopes they might give you a discount towards a new cable.

Back to the main concern though which is the GPU: Your OEM card is most likely still designed toward an ATX spec of some kind so I suspect that card should fit the S401. Try my suggestions and e-mail (salvostudiosltd@gmail.com) me what you discover (if anything). TBH, it's difficult to tell how bent the rear IO bracket is on the GPU, but you'll find out quickly whether or not the bracket is the problem by massaging it gently back a little. Perhaps you could get a picture of the GPU IO bracket sitting flush on the outside of the S401 so I can see the bend compared to the edge of the chassis? I'll try to get an example posted here tonight when I get home.

Zephyraeon

Caliper Novice
Nov 15, 2018
I tried loosening the bracket on the GPU and the riser and I couldn't get it to fit unless I removed the screws from the riser completely, so I've done that for in the meantime. It's solid enough for now, have everything inside and using it to write this post. Loving the size :)

The power button cables did fit with only a couple mm to spare but it's working for now so that's fine. Downsizing from the RVZ01 and this one is much nicer!

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I tried loosening the bracket on the GPU and the riser and I couldn't get it to fit unless I removed the screws from the riser completely, so I've done that for in the meantime. It's solid enough for now, have everything inside and using it to write this post. Loving the size :)

The power button cables did fit with only a couple mm to spare but it's working for now so that's fine. Downsizing from the RVZ01 and this one is much nicer!

I'm glad you love the size and quality, but I can ship you a new chassis directly to you in an effort to resolve this problem. It would be the chassis only - no cables/accessories. I would not want your existing chassis returned due to the cost of shipping. I would like a few more pictures with some measurements to confirm a discrepancy in the GPU mounts. If you can provide me some measurements and pictures to show there is a problem, I can ship your new chassis in the next business day or two. The offer stands, but I need your response soon.

Zephyraeon

Caliper Novice
Nov 15, 2018
Even if there is a slight issue with the case, which I don’t believe there is, I wouldn’t accept your offer. I bought this during your Christmas sale and I know you’ve already lost money on it without also shipping another chassis to Australia. Also you included an extra 60mm fan in my order already!

I noticed the riser mount holes appear to be slightly elongated so when I get around to mounting the 60mm fans I’ll try screw the riser mount back in. In any case, not gonna worry about it until I upgrade my GPU in a few months.

I can still take the photo this evening if it would set your mind at ease, bu seriously don’t worry about it. I’m a happy customer :)

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Even if there is a slight issue with the case, which I don’t believe there is, I wouldn’t accept your offer. I bought this during your Christmas sale and I know you’ve already lost money on it without also shipping another chassis to Australia. Also you included an extra 60mm fan in my order already!

I noticed the riser mount holes appear to be slightly elongated so when I get around to mounting the 60mm fans I’ll try screw the riser mount back in. In any case, not gonna worry about it until I upgrade my GPU in a few months.

I can still take the photo this evening if it would set your mind at ease, bu seriously don’t worry about it. I’m a happy customer :)

Ok - I just want you to be happy with your purchase. At least there is documentation since you posted here that there could be a problem in the future. Please don't let the price or cost prohibit you from accepting my offer. It was my decision to sell the cases at that price so you shouldn't feel guilty or obligated either way. You paid good money for the case - it needs to deliver on it's promises! :)

Keep in touch, especially when you get your new GPU. As an aside: The holes on the PCIe PCB can be opened up with a slightly larger drill bit or a round file. If you need to modify it be gentle.