Completed S401: Salvo Studios <8L mITX Steel Unibody Chassis w/ GPU & CPU fans in same direction

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Hey all,

I recently put together a new build and went ITX for the first time. I'm happy about how it turned out, but have decided I would like something more portable. Here is what I am running now (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/j9rHjy):

Asus - ROG Strix B450-I Gaming Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor
Noctua - NH-L9a-AM4 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler
G.Skill - Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory
Samsung - 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION GAMING, 11G-P4-2281-KR
Corsair - RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Noctua - NF-A12x25 PWM 60.1 CFM 120mm Fan

Other than the power supply, anything in the part list that would preclude me from just transplanting from my current case into a s401? Any recommendations on the power supply / cables that would work best? Thanks!

All those parts should work fine except for the NF-A12x25, the S401 only has 1x120mm fan mount and that is for AIO coolers. If you used this mount your GPU would have to be something like 192mm in length or less which will be hard to do if you want a 2080ti. Other than that, looks like you should be good to go. I'd recommend the Corsair SF600 platinum as it comes with sleeved wires. I've not had personal experience with it yet, but I just ordered 5 units so I'll have some feedback for those when paired with the S401 when I get them. Good luck and feel free to ask more questions if you have them.

AndrewC

Efficiency Noob
Dec 25, 2018
Great, thanks for the feedback. I'll go ahead and see if I can pick up a SF600 and let you know how it goes, hope to order the chassis in the morning as well.

The one concern I have is airflow for the SSD as it can run a bit warm. I do have it mounted on the dront under the motherboard adhesive heatsink thing, would I need any more airflow over that area other than what the CPU heatsink and GPU fans have with air moving through the chassis? Thanks.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Great, thanks for the feedback. I'll go ahead and see if I can pick up a SF600 and let you know how it goes, hope to order the chassis in the morning as well.

The one concern I have is airflow for the SSD as it can run a bit warm. I do have it mounted on the dront under the motherboard adhesive heatsink thing, would I need any more airflow over that area other than what the CPU heatsink and GPU fans have with air moving through the chassis? Thanks.

Is this the m.2 and is it mounted on the rear of the board? If so, I believe that certain m.2 heatsinks will fit with clearance between it and the steel panel. It might even benefit from applying the heat transfer tape to both sides of the heatsink so it can transfer into the side panel. I'll see if I can get a picture or at least link to a heatsink I believe works with the S401.

Reactions: Ichiban

AndrewC

Efficiency Noob
Dec 25, 2018
This board actually has 2 m.2 slots, one on the front of the board, and one on the back by the CPU socket. I am currently only using the top mounted slot, it lives just above the PCIe slot, and Asus has a metal heatsink with some adhesive on it. Just wondering if it would need more airflow.

imgur.com/a/U129lAo

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
This board actually has 2 m.2 slots, one on the front of the board, and one on the back by the CPU socket. I am currently only using the top mounted slot, it lives just above the PCIe slot, and Asus has a metal heatsink with some adhesive on it. Just wondering if it would need more airflow.

imgur.com/a/U129lAo

I see, I doubt it will be a problem because I use the slot on the back side of my mainboard with no airflow and it works fine. I will say though that I haven't run any performance tests to see if it's throttling. At least when using the front the CPU fan should provide some airflow. Maybe someone else can comment on their experience.

AndrewC

Efficiency Noob
Dec 25, 2018
Ok, sounds good, thanks. Just went ahead and grabbed a chassis, handle, and a couple of fans. I do like the laser engraved panels, but couldn't finalize a good design, guess I can always grab a couple later if I want to make it fancy. Look forward to getting this in the mail and doing a bit of transplanting.

Reactions: grsychckn

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I got my Asus ROG Strix H370-i today. At first I confirmed that it wouldn't fit and indeed it does not. I then removed the plastic IO cover by removing two screws on the bottom of the mainboard and then I had to apply a decent amount of pressure to get the screws in, but I did not strip anything, it probably just places extra pressure on the rear I/O ports. I can't find the information on the Z390-i to see how it is different but it apparently is. I will continue to research the Z390-i to see if I can find some pictures of how the I/O cover is assembled.

That said, I believe the H370-i and B360-i will work with their plastic cover removed. More later.

Reactions: DSmithBYU

Zephyraeon

Caliper Novice
Nov 15, 2018
Put my order in :) Spent the last 2 days reading through all 30 pages to make sure I didn’t miss anything.

Apparently postage is significantly cheaper using a US proxy to NZ than to AU. Luckily I’m heading back there in a month. Decided to forego the IS-60. Going to use the stock wraith stealth in the mean time.

Did someone know of a source of a different coloured USB 20-pin cable? Since the build is so open I kinda wanna replace the blue cable.

Reactions: grsychckn

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I can't find the information on the Z390-i to see how it is different but it apparently is. I will continue to research the Z390-i to see if I can find some pictures of how the I/O cover is assembled.

That said, I believe the H370-i and B360-i will work with their plastic cover removed. More later.

Ok, I can't find a picture of the back of the Z390-i so I just bought one. I'll take a look at this one too and see if I can find a workaround for those with this board.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Did someone know of a source of a different coloured USB 20-pin cable? Since the build is so open I kinda wanna replace the blue cable.

I purchased my custom 20-pin USB cable from moddiy.com. You would need to e-mail them at admin@moddiy.com and specify the following:

USB 3.0 20-Pin Internal Header FF Adapter Cable (Low Profile Connector) - Just like the following product
https://www.moddiy.com/products/USB...FF-Adapter-Cable-(Low-Profile-Connector).html
Length: 30cm (my suggestion, measure for your setup)
Wire: Premium silicone white wire (check their website for colors)
Sleeving: White HD sleeving (Mine wasn't sleeved as I purchased with silver wire)
Connector: White connectors (ask about this - they may have it)

I want to say it cost me $14.99 + shipping and they usually respond within 24-hours.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Put my order in :) Spent the last 2 days reading through all 30 pages to make sure I didn’t miss anything.

Apparently postage is significantly cheaper using a US proxy to NZ than to AU. Luckily I’m heading back there in a month. Decided to forego the IS-60. Going to use the stock wraith stealth in the mean time.

What proxy are you using? I've found shipito.com to be very reasonable but am curious if you use something else as I'd like to make options available to customers looking for less expensive shipping.

Ichiban

Caliper Novice
Sep 17, 2018
The noise from the two 60mm fans mounted on top are so noisey when Qfan control ramps them up, oh man it sounds like a mini fighterjet taking off in your room! Haha damn I might need to add a fan controller and skip using the on-board pin setup.
I'm thinking of installing the fans as intake instead of exhaust, that might help with the heat that the CPU is getting.
Defintately looking into getting that Noctua 92mm fan upgrade.

Ichiban

Caliper Novice
Sep 17, 2018
I got my Asus ROG Strix H370-i today. At first I confirmed that it wouldn't fit and indeed it does not. I then removed the plastic IO cover by removing two screws on the bottom of the mainboard and then I had to apply a decent amount of pressure to get the screws in, but I did not strip anything, it probably just places extra pressure on the rear I/O ports. I can't find the information on the Z390-i to see how it is different but it apparently is. I will continue to research the Z390-i to see if I can find some pictures of how the I/O cover is assembled.

That said, I believe the H370-i and B360-i will work with their plastic cover removed. More later

Nevermind what I said, noticed the ROG H370i isn't the same as the other Asus ITX motherboard on my system with the cushioned IO sheild.

Last edited:

Zephyraeon

Caliper Novice
Nov 15, 2018
Thanks for the moddiy recommendation, will definitely reach out to them soon!

What proxy are you using? I've found shipito.com to be very reasonable but am curious if you use something else as I'd like to make options available to customers looking for less expensive shipping.

I used a consumer information website which had a chart of the most popular US -> AU freight forwarders and the local post office option (shopmate) appeared to be cheapest for a one-off based on the prices (at $100AUD which is roughly $70USD). The NZ post office has a similar service (youshop) but it should only cost $50 or $70NZD ($35 or $45 USD respectively) to get to NZ depending on # of business days for the Oregon to NZ leg of the journey - much cheaper.

If I lived in NZ I could ship something there using the slow method - it’d take 3-4 weeks but it’d cost $55USD instead of $110USD. Best part is that youshop would cost the same even with a few add-ons as long as the box size doesn’t change. Based on the dimensions and weight you gave me I would’ve had the same shipping cost regardless of whether the case was 10lb or 11.5lb due to the pricing structure.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Anyone running an 8700k with the S401? I've got a customer looking to get some info regarding temps and throttling in the S401. Any help would be appreciated.

Ichiban

Caliper Novice
Sep 17, 2018
So turns out I can't mount those 60mm fans as intake fans as the holes are really far deep in and the screws won't catch it.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
So turns out I can't mount those 60mm fans as intake fans as the holes are really far deep in and the screws won't catch it.

What fans are you using? I went back 4 pages and couldn't find it (maybe I missed it).

Would longer screws help?

Ichiban

Caliper Novice
Sep 17, 2018
What fans are you using? I went back 4 pages and couldn't find it (maybe I missed it).

Would longer screws help?

Longer screws would help, but I don't happen to have any of those longer fan screws as most of them are all standard 1 size.

Ichiban

Caliper Novice
Sep 17, 2018
For those planning on spending the money on the Noctua 60mm not sure if anyone mention this... but you going to need to buy a right angle adapter for that front USB hub... or get a female to female 20 pin low profile cable. Cause this isn't gonna work... I kinda wish I had known before ordering a 60mm x 25mm fan.