Completed S401: Salvo Studios <8L mITX Steel Unibody Chassis w/ GPU & CPU fans in same direction

swiftbiscuits

What's an ITX?
Feb 19, 2019
After being a long time lurker I just wanted to register and make a post here to say that I am extremely glad I decided to purchase this case, and share my experience with everyone. I had been shopping around for a custom itx chasis for months and was really on the fence about which to purchase, until I stumbled upon this thread. Thirty six pages of reading later I was placing an order for the s401 with acrylic panels and the handle... this is where the story gets good lol.

So the next day grsychckn sends me an email notifying me that after he cut the acrylic panels, while he was boxing them up for shipping, he had noticed a couple of small blemishes in the acrylic from his supplier. He sent me pictures and explained that he was going to source new panels instead of just shipping them to me like that. I think he was worried about the delay this would cause, but I was actually impressed with his attention to detail. Most regular case manufacturers would of just sent it out the door that way. +1

During the delay this caused I had started to regret my decision not to have a custom image cut in to one of the panels, so I emailed him the picture and asked if this was possible. A reply was sent back to me promptly stating that it could be done no problem. I had mentioned that I would be willing to pay extra for the bother, but he did not ask for any extra compensation. +2

So after all is said and done, I receive my new s401 via ups and begin my build. *This man must spend crazy amounts of time packaging these, I think the packing was the best I have ever seen* So while I am putting things together I realize that I did not receive the handle for the case, or the thumb screws for the panels. At this point I am thinking to myself about how busy he must be and feeling bad that I have to contact him again. Upon emailing *bothering* him again.. he was very cordial and sent the missing pieces out the next day free of charge. +3

Once I receive them Friday I will be adding some more pictures..

@ grsychckn

Thank you for all of your hard work and making this possible. More pictures to come when she is all done, I did manage to find some thumb screws that work temporarily until the other's arrive friday.

For the horde...

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
After being a long time lurker I just wanted to register and make a post here to say that I am extremely glad I decided to purchase this case, and share my experience with everyone. I had been shopping around for a custom itx chasis for months and was really on the fence about which to purchase, until I stumbled upon this thread. Thirty six pages of reading later I was placing an order for the s401 with acrylic panels and the handle... this is where the story gets good lol.

So the next day grsychckn sends me an email notifying me that after he cut the acrylic panels, while he was boxing them up for shipping, he had noticed a couple of small blemishes in the acrylic from his supplier. He sent me pictures and explained that he was going to source new panels instead of just shipping them to me like that. I think he was worried about the delay this would cause, but I was actually impressed with his attention to detail. Most regular case manufacturers would of just sent it out the door that way. +1

During the delay this caused I had started to regret my decision not to have a custom image cut in to one of the panels, so I emailed him the picture and asked if this was possible. A reply was sent back to me promptly stating that it could be done no problem. I had mentioned that I would be willing to pay extra for the bother, but he did not ask for any extra compensation. +2

So after all is said and done, I receive my new s401 via ups and begin my build. *This man must spend crazy amounts of time packaging these, I think the packing was the best I have ever seen* So while I am putting things together I realize that I did not receive the handle for the case, or the thumb screws for the panels. At this point I am thinking to myself about how busy he must be and feeling bad that I have to contact him again. Upon emailing *bothering* him again.. he was very cordial and sent the missing pieces out the next day free of charge. +3

Once I receive them Friday I will be adding some more pictures..

@ grsychckn

Thank you for all of your hard work and making this possible. More pictures to come when she is all done, I did manage to find some thumb screws that work temporarily until the other's arrive friday.

For the horde...
Holy moly, what sweet cable management! What am I doing with my life? Thanks for joining us and sharing your experience and build!

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018

Just got my white s401 on Monday, the GPU and new SSD came this morning. And I only have 2 more mods before it's complete. I have to paint the noctua fan and I need my custom cables to come in.
Wow, you got one of them! Congrats on a fantastic looking build (even in its incomplete state).
What about a white fan?

I carry these on at j-hackcompany.com
What cooler do you have under the hood there? I can vouch for the TY-100 (images are struggling right now but I'm assuming it's the same one). It does have 92mm mounting points (fit on my C7 bracket great, also from j-hack). Specs, as I recall, were only a slight compromise from the full-size NF-A9 I was using previously. Meaning is it should be an improvement over the slim version. You can double check for yourself - it's been a while since I looked at the numbers but that info should be more or less correct.

Reactions: Sahaj and grsychckn

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Wow, you got one of them! Congrats on a fantastic looking build (even in its incomplete state).

What cooler do you have under the hood there? I can vouch for the TY-100 (images are struggling right now but I'm assuming it's the same one). It does have 92mm mounting points (fit on my C7 bracket great, also from j-hack). Specs, as I recall, were only a slight compromise from the full-size NF-A9 I was using previously. Meaning is it should be an improvement over the slim version. You can double check for yourself - it's been a while since I looked at the numbers but that info should be more or less correct.

There are more than just specs to consider, for example the size of the fan bearing/hub might be larger taking up more space. And generally(IIRC) the geatest points airflow is at the tips of the blades, which might extend over the c7's body. But if it performs better than perhOpe I'll jump on it. :)

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Any chance the black cases might go on sale?
Yes, there will be a sale in March sometime. I need a little breathing room to catch up on work and home life projects. I also want some time to devote to the S700 and figure out how to get the next prototype made for less than $2k.

I know I've been a little out of pocket lately, but I've been writing tons of e-mails to potential customers and I've been working on getting the remainder of my S401 cases packed up and ready to ship. I'll have to order some more accessories but I haven't had time to even inventory what I have left. The sale will occur sometime after I get my ducks in a row.

TomServo

What's an ITX?
Dec 27, 2018
I know it isn't officially supported, but has anyone tried out a 120mm radiator with the s401? Tinkering around with overclocking my 4690k and was wondering if it might get me some headroom...

Reactions: annasoh323

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I know it isn't officially supported, but has anyone tried out a 120mm radiator with the s401? Tinkering around with overclocking my 4690k and was wondering if it might get me some headroom...

I've had some reports of customers trying to install one but to my memory (which is very bad) I've not seen any pictures or word that said projects are complete as of yet. Sorry I couldn't help - when I die I'll have time and money to try this for myself. ;)

Reactions: annasoh323

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
There are more than just specs to consider, for example the size of the fan bearing/hub might be larger taking up more space. And generally(IIRC) the geatest points airflow is at the tips of the blades, which might extend over the c7's body. But if it performs better than the noctua one perhaps I'll jump on it. :)

@Thehack do you know about performance metrics over the nf-a9x14?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Maybe post in r/SFFPC? I k ow last time some people fave you a hard time for posting there, but I don't think it goes against any rules. :)

I'm loving mine!!
I may try posting there but TBH, I haven't even sent out the newsletter yet. Work has been so busy I don't have time to write the e-mail and include pictures.

Side note: I now suspect that it is only my first batch of S401s that have a compatibility problem with the EVGA cards. I need someone to either confirm that they are running the EVGA cards without problem in their S401 or I need someone willing to allow me to purchase an EVGA card so I can test fit it myself and then I'll ship it to you. I can offer a filter, handle, spacers, or something else (I have a lot of hardware I've purchased for this type of problem).

This is the only picture I have of the EVGA card in an S401 and I believe this is an early-run chassis that I hadn't opened up the slots vertically (as oriented in this picture) towards the GPU mount tab. Later chassis had the top of these slots opened up 1/4" more for better clearance for DisplayPort interfaces. Ignore that this is a white chassis as the owner purchased it on ebay after the original owner had stripped it down and painted it white. This is NOT one of my white chassis.