Completed S401: Salvo Studios <8L mITX Steel Unibody Chassis w/ GPU & CPU fans in same direction

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Class acts, all around.

With talking about possibly elongating holes etc. it made me wonder anew: what are some of the material characteristics of the galvanneal material? Anecdotally, it seems to be relatively up there in hardness and toughness compared to normal sheet metal but I've not got a good objective idea.

Reactions: Sahaj and grsychckn

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Class acts, all around.

With talking about possibly elongating holes etc. it made me wonder anew: what are some of the material characteristics of the galvanneal material? Anecdotally, it seems to be relatively up there in hardness and toughness compared to normal sheet metal but I've not got a good objective idea.
I'm not a metallurgist but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night and from what I have read - galvanneal steel is simply the same grade steel that's been run through a process to create a resistive and paintable surface. I'm not even sure what grade the steel is that the shop used to manufacture the S401. If you really want this info I can get it for you.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
I'm not a metallurgist but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night and from what I have read - galvanneal steel is simply the same grade steel that's been run through a process to create a resistive and paintable surface. I'm not even sure what grade the steel is that the shop used to manufacture the S401. If you really want this info I can get it for you.
No, no need for that; just a curiosity.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Here's a preview of what's coming soon:

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I don't know how long I was looking at this till I realized these were photos, not renders. Is this going to house your new daily driver?

No, I'm going to sell the 5 units I have had made. Two are already spoken for. They will be quite expensive due to their limited quantity, additional effort to produce, and added gear included. Each one will come with:

1. A brand new Corsair 600 platinum PSU that has been disassembled and powder coated on top and bottom (painted to match on the sides and front/back).
2. Custom painted hardware - all visible screw heads have been powder coated white to match, front button painted and clear coated for durability, white front button spacer installed, thumbscrew heads powder coated white to match, etc.
3. Custom white powder coated removable handle.

I'm probably going to offer a discount on custom side panels as well because I think custom panels would really pop with a white background.

As far as price is concerned, I've not determined that just yet, but it's going to be expensive. Probably around $350 if not a little more. Sticker shock is real.

Edit: miscalculation on expected price.

Last edited:

MrClippy

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2018
No, I'm going to sell the 5 units I have had made. Two are already spoken for. They will be quite expensive due to their limited quantity, additional effort to produce, and added gear included. Each one will come with:

1. A brand new Corsair 600 platinum PSU that has been disassembled and powder coated on top and bottom (painted to match on the sides and front/back).
2. Custom painted hardware - all visible screw heads have been powder coated white to match, front button painted and clear coated for durability, white front button spacer installed, thumbscrew heads powder coated white to match, etc.
3. Custom white powder coated removable handle.

I'm probably going to offer a discount on custom side panels as well because I think custom panels would really pop with a white background.

As far as price is concerned, I've not determined that just yet, but it's going to be expensive. Probably around $350 if not a little more. Sticker shock is real.

Edit: miscalculation on expected price.

That is pretty freaking gorgeous. I'd be super interested if I didn't already have a S401 and was looking forward to the S700 :D

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Well, I was just informed that the EVGA 2080 ti SC Black is confirmed incompatible with the S401. It seems EVGA has decided to include a "bump out" on all their IO shields that will interfere with the rear IO cutout on the S401 so that the GPU cannot be mounted flush to the rear of the chassis.

The upper bump is the section in question and it seems all EVGA cards have this new "feature". Needless to say, I'm upset because S401 owners cannot use the EVGA cards in their builds unless they modify the rear IO slots to open them up and create room for this bump. A Dremel would suffice as I'm sure it's not much modification, but it still sucks to discover. I need millions of dollars so I can test every machination of GPU in my designs before I release them. Granted, this might have still been a problem because the S401 design was complete before most of these cards released, but I guess I now have a new item to test on the S700.

Edit: This is why the flex slot will be important because I could in theory upgrade/revise the slot and sell those instead of requiring customers purchase a new chassis or modify their own cases.

Update: Rumor has it that if you contact EVGA directly, they can supply you with a new IO shield that doesn't have the bump and thus would allow it to fit inside the S401.

Last edited:

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Fast response is result of checking email and this thread being one of the few that I get email notifications for. Bummer to hear about that. My EVGA 1080 has the top DP port partially obscured but it's not a problem for me. Is there any info about how big a PCIe slot is "supposed" to be and what kind of tolerances we're dealing with here? I suppose I could take a set of calipers to my case... Thanks for the continuing support of your product! Hope you still have units moving, especially those gorgeous white ones.

Reactions: Sahaj and grsychckn

Zephyraeon

Caliper Novice
Nov 15, 2018
Oh man that's a shame, I was looking at eventually downsizing my SO's RGB build into my S401 and upgrading his GPU to an EVGA 2080 which will probably have the same bump. It's surprisingly hard to find nice looking cards that fit within the 2 slot restriction. Guess I'll either have to convince him to go for something else (he doesn't like the gigabyte windforce for some reason?) or find a friend with a dremel.

Reactions: grsychckn

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Update: Looks like the customer that reported this issue also claims that EVGA will send you a new IO shield without the bump for around $14. I cannot verify this information but it does seem like there is an option available. If anyone is able to confirm this I'd appreciate it.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Fast response is result of checking email and this thread being one of the few that I get email notifications for. Bummer to hear about that. My EVGA 1080 has the top DP port partially obscured but it's not a problem for me. Is there any info about how big a PCIe slot is "supposed" to be and what kind of tolerances we're dealing with here? I suppose I could take a set of calipers to my case... Thanks for the continuing support of your product! Hope you still have units moving, especially those gorgeous white ones.

Since the S401 has had some PCIe slot problems, I've gone back an researched more in-depth the correct size of those openings. Unfortunately, I originally used a source that had more restrictive dimensions. For the S700 this shouldn't be an issue as I've opened up the slots much wider to be more compatible with various hardware. The main problem with the S401 is the information I used to design those holes. If I make a new revision of the S401, it will have the slots widened just like the S700 will.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Oh man that's a shame, I was looking at eventually downsizing my SO's RGB build into my S401 and upgrading his GPU to an EVGA 2080 which will probably have the same bump. It's surprisingly hard to find nice looking cards that fit within the 2 slot restriction. Guess I'll either have to convince him to go for something else (he doesn't like the gigabyte windforce for some reason?) or find a friend with a dremel.

Downsize and upgrade... two of SFF's favorite words!

Since the S401 has had some PCIe slot problems, I've gone back an researched more in-depth the correct size of those openings. Unfortunately, I originally used a source that had more restrictive dimensions. For the S700 this shouldn't be an issue as I've opened up the slots much wider to be more compatible with various hardware. The main problem with the S401 is the information I used to design those holes. If I make a new revision of the S401, it will have the slots widened just like the S700 will.

Makes sense. I myself have a love-hate relationship with standards. If the S402/S401v2 ends up getting the flex slot treatment, that'd be even neater. I still run myself in circles where, if I did decide to upgrade/exchange my video card, would I get a shorter card so I could use the drive stacker or would I go with the biggest card I can fit in this case.

Reactions: Sahaj

MrClippy

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2018
Don't know if other Ryzen users looking to maybe use this case into a radiator; the mounts developed by @Thehack and the 100m cooler he has available does wonders for the VRM temps on this here Gigabyte AB350N. My "weird" cooling is using a pull for the dual 80mm fans and a push for the 100m fan instead of the usual pull into the heatsink and motherboard so that it's basically like a nice foot radiator.

VRM temps were at 90+ easily with the default Cryorig C7 fan (it hit 100s when running x286 encoding on the 2700X), which was pushing heat down into the motherboard and made for some terrible heat on the motherboard components. The VRMs are now 70s at most with the new configuration.

Last edited:

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I think this will also help peformance:

90 degrees change to C7 mount.

I am unable to get it at a cost effective price. I am wondering if you can get these made instead?

Yes, I probably could. My main fabricator would be more expensive and since I'm guessing the two sides are identical, I could probably get them made from him for about $20-30/set. I could get them much cheaper from my second source (probably $4-6/set) but the problem with him is inconsistency and it could take a while. Thankfully, he's good at getting simple projects completed much faster. I can reach out to both if you share a DXF or IGES file to get a quote or I can put you directly in touch with each. My estimates for each of their services could be way off.

Edit: Also let me add quantity plays a big role in price for my main fabricator. Unit purchases over 100 will reduce the price by up to 20%.

Reactions: MrClippy

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Yes, I probably could. My main fabricator would be more expensive and since I'm guessing the two sides are identical, I could probably get them made from him for about $20-30/set. I could get them much cheaper from my second source (probably $4-6/set) but the problem with him is inconsistency and it could take a while. Thankfully, he's good at getting simple projects completed much faster. I can reach out to both if you share a DXF or IGES file to get a quote or I can put you directly in touch with each. My estimates for each of their services could be way off.

Edit: Also let me add quantity plays a big role in price for my main fabricator. Unit purchases over 100 will reduce the price by up to 20%.

Some adjustments can be made. I'll email you the DWGs.

Last edited: