Completed S401: Salvo Studios <8L mITX Steel Unibody Chassis w/ GPU & CPU fans in same direction

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
ID-Cooling IS-60s arrived last night. I counter-bored the screw heads to gain a little clearance but it wasn't near enough for that cooler to work in the S401 without the spacers. It would work with the spacers though, so if anyone is interested in that cooler I have 4 of them (1 modified) and would be interested in bundling them with the spacers for an additional $35.

Reactions: annasoh323

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
ID-Cooling IS-60s arrived last night. I counter-bored the screw heads to gain a little clearance but it wasn't near enough for that cooler to work in the S401 without the spacers. It would work with the spacers though, so if anyone is interested in that cooler I have 4 of them (1 modified) and would be interested in bundling them with the spacers for an additional $35.
Still going to be running tests against the C7 Cu? I was speculating on whether or not the spacers would have any impact on coolers like the C7 that don't need them to fit and I was thinking it wouldn't. The vented panel is already so open that I can't see it making a difference. Still, for testing purposes, I would think that it would be proper to test them both with the spacer.

I was working on a video project last night. I was pleasantly surprise: my i5-7600K is undervolted by -0.1mV and overclocked to 4.5 GHz, -0.3 GHz AVX offset. Davinci Resolve doesn't use AVX evidently so I was rolling at 4.5GHz. C7 Al + TY-100 fan + 2x60mm fans exhaust was sitting pretty at mid to high 60's C. I don't really have a benchmark for how well it was actually performing though. I did do a Realbench benchmark run the other day but didn't compare my numbers yet (it felt really slow, but I don't know if that's just the way the test is supposed to be). At the end of the day, it's just a quad core (eveyone in early 2017 preaching "quad core is all you need for the next 5 years": I demand an apology, my money back, and/or a Ryzen chip). Video is not a part of my normal use and I'm just messing around for now, but it's kind of a nice feeling to be able to share something like that, which is probably why it's such an explosive industry.

Reactions: grsychckn

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Fun post. Case inside a case.

Of course I cheated by removing the GPU in the Corsair case, but everything else is left inside.

Ichiban

Caliper Novice
Sep 17, 2018
I just signed up just so I can follow this thread! I've been diving deep into the work of SFF PCs and your case is by far the most appealing to me in terms of size and form! Is UPS The only shipping option to Canada? Because we will get raped with brokerage fees. USPS is pretty much the only option we have to avoid brokerage. How much are you planning on charging for your white case?

I bit the bullet and bought it even though I was in Canada and I knew the shipping beforehand. Yes the UPS shipping is expensive, and yes you will get hit with duties. Is it cheap, no. But Brian is a good guy and his product is well made. I haven't started to build the case yet only because I have a million projects going on right now and I haven't found time to pull myself aside to work on the PC. I have all the parts here already, I just need the damn time hahaha.... Probably during this Christmas Holiday I will sit down and build it.

If you live in Ontario like me you will have to pay the taxes on the declared value of the case and UPS stupid fixed brokerage fee.

UPS Customs Brokerage Charges:
$14.69
Brokerage Fee:
$13.00
Brokerage GST/HST:
$1.69
Brokerage QST:
Permit:
Freight Charges:

Note this is the break down for only the custom brokerages. You still have to add the Ontario goods taxes which totaled to be around $20.

Last edited:

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Fun post. Case inside a case.

Of course I cheated by removing the GPU in the Corsair case, but everything else is left inside.
Is that your personal system? Trying to remember what you put in there... Vega Frontier? R7 of some flavor with L9a coooler? Corsair PSU? Don't remember the green side panels though...

I bit the bullet and bought it even though I was in Canada and I knew the shipping beforehand. Yes the UPS shipping is expensive, and yes you will get hit with duties. Is it cheap, no. But Brian is a good guy and his product is well made. I haven't started to build the case yet only because I have a million projects going on right now and I haven't found time to pull myself aside to work on the PC. I have all the parts here already, I just need the damn time hahaha.... Probably during this Christmas Holiday I will sit down and build it.

If you live in Ontario like me you will have to pay the taxes on the declared value of the case and UPS stupid fixed brokerage fee.

UPS Customs Brokerage Charges:
$14.69
Brokerage Fee:
$13.00
Brokerage GST/HST:
$1.69
Brokerage QST:
Permit:
Freight Charges:

Note this is the break down for only the custom brokerages. You still have to add the Ontario goods taxes which totaled to be around $20.

When I first got my case in, I told myself I wouldn't try to rebuild until I had a good amount of time to savor the process. I ended up ripping everything out and rebuilding it in a couple of hours that night. Ignoring my evident lack of self-control, I would like to encourage you with the knowledge that it (hopefully) ought not to take you that long. Of course, I largely knew where everything was going due to having built and rebuilt the same computer a few times. This is just the latest iteration. Also, on shipping, I again state my empathy to you folks. You're geographically closer than I am (me being out in the middle of the Pacific) but I'm in-country. It bites us both. Say what you want about corporate malpractice: all I know is when I step outside of the safety of Amazon Prime, shipping always destroys me.

Reactions: rfarmer

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Today I updated the S401 product page on my website that I will not support the Asus ROG Strix Z390-i/H370-i/B360-i mainboards in the S401. If you currently have one of these mainboards that doesn't fit quite right please contact me. I've already reached out to one user but I know there is at least one more I can't identify.

DSmithBYU

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 26, 2018
I don't know about Z390 mainboards, but for the S401 stay away from the Asus Z390-i and any other mainboard with the IO shield built-in. This is actually a design oversight on my part as the mounting point locations on the S401 will likely cause the rear IO shield to interfere with the chassis on mainboards with the shield built-in. That said, the Asus Z390-i is the only board that seems to have trouble that I'm aware of.

Today I updated the S401 product page on my website that I will not support the Asus ROG Strix Z390-i/H370-i/B360-i mainboards in the S401. If you currently have one of these mainboards that doesn't fit quite right please contact me. I've already reached out to one user but I know there is at least one more I can't identify.

*Raises hand awkwardly.

I bought a ASUS B360-I ROG Strix yesterday. What are my options?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
*Raises hand awkwardly.

I bought a ASUS B360-I ROG Strix yesterday. What are my options?
I bought the H370-I yesterday to figure out how to get them to work. Don't worry, I'll figure something out and let you know. If I have to, I'll modify a chassis and ship it to you.

themanmatt

What's an ITX?
Dec 21, 2018
I made an account on SFFForum just to follow this thread. I havn't bought a case yet, but plan to do so soon. Reading thought this thread I see you will be making a very limited amount of white cases, I would love to get my hands on one of those.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I made an account on SFFForum just to follow this thread. I havn't bought a case yet, but plan to do so soon. Reading thought this thread I see you will be making a very limited amount of white cases, I would love to get my hands on one of those.
Update for the white cases. They will be done with paint by Christmas. I *should* have pictures of them by New Year's day. The price will be much more for them over the black cases for the following reasons:

1. Custom paint (this might be negligible - I don't yet have the cost for the paint per unit yet).
2. Custom white handle (normally $25) will be included.
3. I've ordered a handful of SF600 platinum PSUs and I'm thinking I'm going to strip and powder coat the exterior of those the same white as the cases. These PSUs cost me $155 each, and I have to take into account my time and support for the custom paint.
4. I've got to strip and paint all the hardware I can to match the white. Some things may have to remain black as I don't have a good source nor the time to put into making every detail white (e.g. PSU extension cable will remain black, PCIe extension will remain black, etc.).

I will try to take pictures as soon as I can but Christmas isn't leaving me with much time to work on these projects.

Also, I'm still in the process of deciding what post-Christmas promotion I'm going to offer but when I do I'll announce here and via my newsletter on Christmas day. Keep your eyes open for the message (it might go to your junk mail).

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Already have my first correction to the ETA on the white cases. The shop ran out of white powder so they have to wait until Jan 3 before they'll have more in stock. They offered to use a different white color, but the one I chose I think will look great so I told him I'd wait. Besides, it still gives me time to get the accessories prepped and painted to match.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Update for the white cases. They will be done with paint by Christmas. I *should* have pictures of them by New Year's day. The price will be much more for them over the black cases for the following reasons:

1. Custom paint (this might be negligible - I don't yet have the cost for the paint per unit yet).
2. Custom white handle (normally $25) will be included.
3. I've ordered a handful of SF600 platinum PSUs and I'm thinking I'm going to strip and powder coat the exterior of those the same white as the cases. These PSUs cost me $155 each, and I have to take into account my time and support for the custom paint.
4. I've got to strip and paint all the hardware I can to match the white. Some things may have to remain black as I don't have a good source nor the time to put into making every detail white (e.g. PSU extension cable will remain black, PCIe extension will remain black, etc.).

I will try to take pictures as soon as I can but Christmas isn't leaving me with much time to work on these projects.

Also, I'm still in the process of deciding what post-Christmas promotion I'm going to offer but when I do I'll announce here and via my newsletter on Christmas day. Keep your eyes open for the message (it might go to your junk mail).
What other means do you have of promoting Salvo? Do you maintain any social media/other online presence? I'd post to my own, but I don't use them enough to make a difference. I still haven't jumped over to reddit to see what they have on the S401. Anyone have a link?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
What other means do you have of promoting Salvo? Do you maintain any social media/other online presence? I'd post to my own, but I don't use them enough to make a difference. I still haven't jumped over to reddit to see what they have on the S401. Anyone have a link?
I do not have an online social media presence. My problem is that I can't even keep up with the work I have to do without adding social media into the mix. I have made a few posts on reddit.com/r/sffpc but not many as I don't want to wear out my welcome. I was actually thinking of posting those two pictures of the S401 inside the Corsair 450D, but again I haven't had a chance to. I also need to make another post on the [H]ardForum because they have a special SFF sub-forum and that was where I posted the first information about the S400. In fact, I might make my first post in that forum also be the one with the upcoming coupon/discount/promotion for the post-Christmas week.

SilverJS

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 8, 2018
Hi all,

S4M user here trying to build a more silent, more powerful rig, while remaining brickless. I need the horizontal orientation for my setup, and would like to run standard sfx power supplies and full size cards. Looks like this is my case! My questions, please :

1. Do the MSI Gaming X and Titanium cards fit? Looks like it but just want to confirm;

2. Given a 7600k that's undervolted, and currently silent (or near enough for me, anyway) in my S4M with an L9i; and, given the cards mentioned above, which I've heard very good things about with regards to noise, fit : how close am I going to get to a silent, or near-silent, build with a 1070 Ti/1080, in this case? I'd be tempted to think very close, as ventilation looks top-notch, and it doesn't look like there would be much trapped, stagnant, hot air in there (like the Node 202 is infamous for), but I'd still like to hear from users, or the designer himself if possible. I'd use an SF450, which would be plenty and is supposed to be quieter;

3. Any feet required for horizontal orientation? If so, any pictures of them in use?

Looking forward to your replies!

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Hi all,

S4M user here trying to build a more silent, more powerful rig, while remaining brickless. I need the horizontal orientation for my setup, and would like to run standard sfx power supplies and full size cards. Looks like this is my case! My questions, please :

1. Do the MSI Gaming X and Titanium cards fit? Looks like it but just want to confirm;

2. Given a 7600k that's undervolted, and currently silent (or near enough for me, anyway) in my S4M with an L9i; and, given the cards mentioned above, which I've heard very good things about with regards to noise, fit : how close am I going to get to a silent, or near-silent, build with a 1070 Ti/1080, in this case? I'd be tempted to think very close, as ventilation looks top-notch, and it doesn't look like there would be much trapped, stagnant, hot air in there (like the Node 202 is infamous for), but I'd still like to hear from users, or the designer himself if possible. I'd use an SF450, which would be plenty and is supposed to be quieter;

3. Any feet required for horizontal orientation? If so, any pictures of them in use?

@SilverJS: I'll do my best to answer your questions below. Although I do not have personal experience with all the hardware you mention, hopefully users with personal experience can reply.

1. Most Gaming X cards will fit. The 1080 Ti Gaming X is over 2-slots in height so it will not (~52mm). I officially support 40mm GPUs, but some 42mm GPUs like the Gaming X will fit. Below is the Gaming X RX580 8GB.

2. Are you hoping to achieve silence at load or idle? The ventilation on the S401 is great and thermally it performs much like an open-air chassis. However, there is not much in the way of noise baffling/absorbing so if your hardware fans make noise you're likely to hear it.
3. I include 4 wafer-style, clear, adhesive epoxy feet that you can apply when in the horizontal position. I have not taken pictures of these installed because they are so thin it would be hard to get a shot displaying them in use. Perhaps I can take a picture of the feet today next to something for size.

Again, hopefully someone will chime in with personal experience. I can tell you I'm running a Vega 64 blower-style and 2700X with the SF600 and it is near silent at idle. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Linero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 9, 2017
Hey, I have recently heard about the S401 and I am quite impressed by the work you have done. I think I am in love with everything, except just one issue... It looks like a widened bee hive, and I can not get over that no matter how hard I try. I know the S401 is the successor of the S400. It's better in many ways. However, the S400 looks amazing to me and I am more than willing that have that on my desk. Will you ever make an S402 that will be the best of both worlds? I am sure I am not the only who is this strongly turned off by the aesthetics.

I still love your product and wish you the best success with it. You deserve it. Hope you are enjoying your holidays too =)

SilverJS

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 8, 2018
Ok - at that price, I'll almost surely bite! Just a couple more questions, if I may... The rest will sort itself out, I'm sure.

1. Actually, that RX580 of yours is perfect as a specimen : roughly the same tdp as a 1070Ti or 1080 (close enough, anyway) and the same cooler. I know this is wholly subjective, but - how does the card sound, under load? (Sorry - forgot to say, that I was talking about silence under load, inasmuch as that's possible in an sff build...). Understand that there's no real separation between me and the components in your enclosure but I'm ok with that - plenty of components sound just fine open air to me (my Be Quiet fans, the L9i, etc) so not too worried about that, assuming the components in question is quiet to begin with;

2. With an SF450 and one of those Gaming X or Titanium cards (really leaning towards the 1070Ti Titanium), confirm I'll have room for my 2 x 2.5" 860 Evo's?

Barring an answer to that, I think you have yourself a customer! Thanks!

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Hi all,

Howdy! S401 user here. I have a similar setup in mine with a slightly undervolted and overclocked 7600K cooled by a C7 heatsink with TY-100 fan and two slim 60mm fans for exhaust. The loudest thing I've got is a blower 1080 which is as loud as any blower tends to get at full load.

From the front page: Maximum GPU support: length 305mm, width 140mm, height dual slot (40mm). From MSI page: 279 x 140 x 42 mm. My blower card: 266.7mm x 111.15mm x dual slot (no dimension) and I've got plenty of room (you can see my PCPP post for pictures). In my best guestimation, I would say you might be close on clearance to the panel since the MSI card seems just a few hairs thicker than dual slot. You may also cut into your cable management space with a taller card especially if you're using the SF450 stock cables. For test fitting, I know @grsychckn used some version of a Sapphire R9 490 which looked pretty big. See the top post pictures.

Edit: weird upload, late reply. Apologies for out-of-context reply. Responses to additional posts below.

Hey, I have recently heard about the S401 and I am quite impressed by the work you have done. I think I am in love with everything, except just one issue... It looks like a widened bee hive, and I can not get over that no matter how hard I try. I know the S401 is the successor of the S400. It's better in many ways. However, the S400 looks amazing to me and I am more than willing that have that on my desk. Will you ever make an S402 that will be the best of both worlds? I am sure I am not the only who is this strongly turned off by the aesthetics.

I still love your product and wish you the best success with it. You deserve it. Hope you are enjoying your holidays too =)
Huh. Never thought about it that way. Maybe I'm the opposite of you: I like it because it subconsciously reminds me of a honeycomb and my childhood desire to get Honeycomb cereal still lives in me.

Ok - at that price, I'll almost surely bite! Just a couple more questions, if I may... The rest will sort itself out, I'm sure.

1. Actually, that RX580 of yours is perfect as a specimen : roughly the same tdp as a 1070Ti or 1080 (close enough, anyway) and the same cooler. I know this is wholly subjective, but - how does the card sound, under load? (Sorry - forgot to say, that I was talking about silence under load, inasmuch as that's possible in an sff build...). Understand that there's no real separation between me and the components in your enclosure but I'm ok with that - plenty of components sound just fine open air to me (my Be Quiet fans, the L9i, etc) so not too worried about that, assuming the components in question is quiet to begin with;

2. With an SF450 and one of those Gaming X or Titanium cards (really leaning towards the 1070Ti Titanium), confirm I'll have room for my 2 x 2.5" 860 Evo's?

Barring an answer to that, I think you have yourself a customer! Thanks!

I can't speak to 1 up there but for 2, as long as the card doesn't have an exceptionally thick backplate, you should be fine. My Evo drive has tons of space behind my backplate-less card but I think even a backplate of normal thickness will cause no problems. You should even be able to fit it behind the PCIe extension which runs behind the card.

Update: I'm feeling in a VERY generous mood. The S401 is now on sale for $130 + shipping (through December 31st). I'm crafting my newsletter now with the announcement.

The Salvo Claus event is on!

Last edited:

SilverJS

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 8, 2018
Fantastic reply, thanks much! Checked out your PCPP piece as well.

One last one, if I may : does the GPU not sag a bit? You can kinda see it in his earlier photo with the RX580...I wonder if a small spacer made of dense foam would help?