Completed S401: Salvo Studios <8L mITX Steel Unibody Chassis w/ GPU & CPU fans in same direction

mcs437

Chassis Packer
Nov 21, 2018
Well you should have ~56-58mm of clearance. So a cryorig c7+ https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3154105 + a full 92mm noctua (not the slim one) + 2x 40mm fans(I got some cheap scythe ones) helps keep the system nice and cool. :)

Another option.could be to buy the Deepcool GABRIEL Low Profile CPU Cooler. It is stock 60mm (with it's 20mm thick fan) replace it with a nf12x15 for compatability. :)

I'm still not 100% on whether I'm going to use the spacers or not - but all those options are pretty interesting.

I already own 2x 40mm Noctua's and the NF12x15 so could go for either option. I particularly like the mount though as it's got cooling for my top mounted drive.

Otherwise is it a case of a stock Cryorig C7 vs the Noctua L9?

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
I'm still not 100% on whether I'm going to use the spacers or not - but all those options are pretty interesting.

I already own 2x 40mm Noctua's and the NF12x15 so could go for either option. I particularly like the mount though as it's got cooling for my top mounted drive.

Otherwise is it a case of a stock Cryorig C7 vs the Noctua L9?

The ID cooling is-60 could also work, if you use the spacers

Also the c7 cu. (Multiple Reviews say it's not worth the extra $$, some say it is)

Just know, with out the spacers, you can use the slim 92mm noctuanoctu an adaper(either the one I posted before or another one just for a 92mm fan). This primarily makes it quieter w/o doing much to drop the temps.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcs437

mcs437

Chassis Packer
Nov 21, 2018
The ID cooling is-60 could also work, if you use the spacers

Also the c7 cu. (Multiple Reviews say it's not worth the extra $$, some say it is)

Just know, with out the spacers, you can use the slim 92mm noctuanoctu an adaper(either the one I posted before or another one just for a 92mm fan). This primarily makes it quieter w/o doing much to drop the temps.

Thanks - that's really useful!

Just to confirm - you're saying that without the spacers (i.e. default S401) I could use the adapter you posted with a C7 using a low profile Noctua 92mm fan and the 40x10mm Noctua's but not the 20mm variety?

Using the spacers I can get away with a full height 92mm Noctua and the 20mm Noctua's - NF-A4x20?

I already own 2 of the NF-A4x20 hence my interest :)

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Thanks - that's really useful!

Just to confirm - you're saying that without the spacers (i.e. default S401) I could use the adapter you posted with a C7 using a low profile Noctua 92mm fan and the 40x10mm Noctua's but not the 20mm variety?

Using the spacers I can get away with a full height 92mm Noctua and the 20mm Noctua's - NF-A4x20?

I already own 2 of the NF-A4x20 hence my interest :)
Correct they need to be the slim 40mm fans and the slim 92mm fan. (W/o case spacers).

with the case spacers you should be able to use the full height (25mm thick) noctual 92mm fan.

Additionally if you was the case pacers you might be able to get away with a 20 mm thick 40 mm fans (this I am not 100% sure on though.)

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Hey Everyone,

Looking forwards to the arrival of my S401 :) Should be with me on Tuesday according to UPS which means I'm going to take some time out from work and transplant my build into it (currently in a Node 202).

I've got the following components:

Ryzen 5 2600
ASUS B450i Motherboard
16GB DDR4 3000mhz RAM
1TB 970 EVO NVME SSD
Zotac 1070ti Mini
Corsair Gold 600w SFX PSU

---

Two questions for everyone if you don't mind helping!

• Any recommendations on an AM4 CPU cooler? I managed to nab a set of the spacers from Brian so can add extra clearance if I need. I did have a Black Ridge but had to send it back as it just doesn't work with my motherboard due to the included heatsink - current items I already have are a Wraith Stealth or Wraith Spire (with the shroud removed) but happy to order in another if anyone has any recommendations for the best AM4 cooler for this particular case?
  • PSU cables - currently I'm working with the stock Corsair cables and feel like they're going to be a bit tight but I've never purchased custom or sleeved cables before. Any idea on suitable cable lengths for my setup - or should I just go for the Corsair SFX Pro kit? (https://www.scan.co.uk/products/corsair-individually-sleeved-type-4-psu-cables-sfx-pro-kit-black)
The cheapskate option (what I'm rolling with currently) is to pull apart the ribbon cables. Otherwise, iirc, someone put based custom length cables about 4 pages back. I think @grsychckn also did some measurements. A Mini branded card will need a longer PCIe power cable than a full length card and you'll also have to check your port placement on your board. You'll also want some kind of cable swap or extension for your SATA power if you're rolling with the standard behind-the-gpu mounting------ scratch that, I see you're rocking an m.2 drive. Disregard.

Reactions: grsychckn

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Correct they need to be the slim 40mm fans and the slim 92mm fan. (W/o case spacers).

with the case spacers you should be able to use the full height (25mm thick) noctual 92mm fan.

Additionally if you was the case pacers you might be able to get away with a 20 mm thick 40 mm fans (this I am not 100% sure on though.)
Where did you want the 40mm fans again? I could have sworn the case mounting points on the thin side of the case were 60mm... and that only thin ones would work with mobo clearance. Finally, I also could have sworn that @grsychckn said that the not-quite-quarter-inch spacers juuuust barely edge out a full thickness Noctua on the C7. Personally, I have a Thermalright TY-100 with adapter (both from @Thehack's store) on a C7 heat sink. I chose it because I previously had a full-thickness Noctua on there and the Thermalright seemed like it had similar enough airflow specs to suit my needs (vs slim Noctua)

Reactions: grsychckn

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Where did you want the 40mm fans again? I could have sworn the case mounting points on the thin side of the case were 60mm... and that only thin ones would work with mobo clearance. Finally, I also could have sworn that @grsychckn said that the not-quite-quarter-inch spacers juuuust barely edge out a full thickness Noctua on the C7. Personally, I have a Thermalright TY-100 with adapter (both from @Thehack's store) on a C7 heat sink. I chose it because I previously had a full-thickness Noctua on there and the Thermalright seemed like it had similar enough airflow specs to suit my needs (vs slim Noctua)

40mm fans are compatable with this bracket. Not the one you have.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3154105

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
To clarify: the chassis fans are 60mm. The 3d-printed adapter for the C7 @Poblopuablo is referring to has mounting points for 2 additional 40mm fans.

The additional clearance of the spacers will make it VERY tight for a 92x25mm fan on top of the C7. I measured just now and my C7 with the Noctua 14mm fan has about 4.5mm clearance without the spacers. The spacers add 5.6mm clearance so the total gap with the spacers would be just over 10mm. If you use the acrylic panels I think there is going to be contact between the 92x25mm fan and the side panel. Because of the rolled edges on the steel panel, you get another 1mm of clearance so it *should* fit the 92x25mm fan, but again it's going to be tight.

@annasoh323, where did you buy the TY-100? I purchased the ID-Cooling IS-60 and am going to see if that one will fit with the steel panel. I don't think it will with the acrylic (it will be that tight).

Reactions: Poblopuablo

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
To clarify: the chassis fans are 60mm. The 3d-printed adapter for the C7 @Poblopuablo is referring to has mounting points for 2 additional 40mm fans.

The additional clearance of the spacers will make it VERY tight for a 92x25mm fan on top of the C7. I measured just now and my C7 with the Noctua 14mm fan has about 4.5mm clearance without the spacers. The spacers add 5.6mm clearance so the total gap with the spacers would be just over 10mm. If you use the acrylic panels I think there is going to be contact between the 92x25mm fan and the side panel. Because of the rolled edges on the steel panel, you get another 1mm of clearance so it *should* fit the 92x25mm fan, but again it's going to be tight.

@annasoh323, where did you buy the TY-100? I purchased the ID-Cooling IS-60 and am going to see if that one will fit with the steel panel. I don't think it will with the acrylic (it will be that tight).
@Thehack has a webstore. There's also a C7 fan bracket he sells but it seems to be sold out for now. All put together, I have nearly a 1/4 to 1/2 an inch between the acrylic panel and the top of the fan. Plenty of room, pretty decent performance, not too much noise (compared to the blower fan, so take that with some salt).

Reactions: Thehack

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
@Thehack has a webstore. There's also a C7 fan bracket he sells but it seems to be sold out for now. All put together, I have nearly a 1/4 to 1/2 an inch between the acrylic panel and the top of the fan. Plenty of room, pretty decent performance, not too much noise (compared to the blower fan, so take that with some salt).

Thanks for sharing. It is in stock now. Note, we're in the holiday seasons, so shipping will take a bit longer than usual.

Reactions: annasoh323

mcs437

Chassis Packer
Nov 21, 2018
Thanks @annasoh323 & @Thehack - ordered a Thermaltake fan and your C7 bracket today - going to take a while to get to the UK :)

On the bracket you're talking about @annasoh323 - it was designed specifically for the ASUS B450i motherboard which has an M2 socket with heatshield that stands proud of the board which would sit directly under the 2x40mm fans - same motherboard I have so I'm going to look at getting one of these printed too.

SFF PCs have become a very expensive hobby very quickly...

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Thanks @annasoh323 & @Thehack - ordered a Thermaltake fan and your C7 bracket today - going to take a while to get to the UK :)

On the bracket you're talking about @annasoh323 - it was designed specifically for the ASUS B450i motherboard which has an M2 socket with heatshield that stands proud of the board which would sit directly under the 2x40mm fans - same motherboard I have so I'm going to look at getting one of these printed too.

SFF PCs have become a very expensive hobby very quickly...
Aaaahhhh, okay, I see. Is the heat transfer of the m.2 heat shield efficient enough in pulling heat away from that drive that it's worth it to point fans at it? Is the increase to performance and longevity enough justification for tiny fans and the requisite fan headers? I only have a SATA m.2 drive, not NVMe, so I haven't considered those aspects.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I just signed up just so I can follow this thread! I've been diving deep into the work of SFF PCs and your case is by far the most appealing to me in terms of size and form! Is UPS The only shipping option to Canada? Because we will get raped with brokerage fees. USPS is pretty much the only option we have to avoid brokerage. How much are you planning on charging for your white case?
Since I didn't reply, USPS is now a shipping option to Canada. Also, I'm unsure how much the white ones will be. There will only be 5 and I don't know how much paint will be.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Unfortunately my case did not arrive today. I can't believe UPS is busy at this time of year.

Just some pics to make Brian drool...

Love it, but I'm wondering where you keep your time machine. That's what I envision my future garage looking like.

Reactions: annasoh323

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Anyone know how good this mobo is? https://www.anandtech.com/show/13407/intel-z390-motherboard-overview-every-motherboard-analyzed/40 any recommendations on a good mobo for this case?

I don't know about Z390 mainboards, but for the S401 stay away from the Asus Z390-i and any other mainboard with the IO shield built-in. This is actually a design oversight on my part as the mounting point locations on the S401 will likely cause the rear IO shield to interfere with the chassis on mainboards with the shield built-in. That said, the Asus Z390-i is the only board that seems to have trouble that I'm aware of.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Love it, but I'm wondering where you keep your time machine. That's what I envision my future garage looking like.
We promise not to tell your wife. In exchange, I hope that Salvo Claus will keep the cases and other goodies coming! In consideration of your forum user name, maybe you could also fit a fryer in there and sell fried chicken too.