Completed S401: Salvo Studios <8L mITX Steel Unibody Chassis w/ GPU & CPU fans in same direction

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Quick update: I picked up all the remaining S401 parts I've been waiting for from the machine shop yesterday.

I also dropped off 5 units for a textured white powder coat paint job.

Reactions: annasoh323

Incognito

Efficiency Noob
Dec 12, 2018
Do you know how long it takes to read 30 pages of forum posts? My S401 will be delivered tomorrow, hopefully in time for my last class of the fall semester. When Adored showed this case, I scoured the internet for more information. Can't wait for it to get here.... Thanks Brian

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Do you know how long it takes to read 30 pages of forum posts? My S401 will be delivered tomorrow, hopefully in time for my last class of the fall semester. When Adored showed this case, I scoured the internet for more information. Can't wait for it to get here.... Thanks Brian
You're welcome - If you have any questions or concerns e-mail me or post here. I'd be happy to help.

Imagine how long it takes to post 30 pages worth of posts!

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Welcome to the club! Going through all of the backlogged info is always the hardest part of jumping in. Rewarding yourself with a fresh upgrade at the end of a semester is great! What are you planning to build in it?

Reactions: grsychckn

KidWeaBoo

Average Stuffer
Dec 12, 2018
I just signed up just so I can follow this thread! I've been diving deep into the work of SFF PCs and your case is by far the most appealing to me in terms of size and form! Is UPS The only shipping option to Canada? Because we will get raped with brokerage fees. USPS is pretty much the only option we have to avoid brokerage. How much are you planning on charging for your white case?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I just signed up just so I can follow this thread! I've been diving deep into the work of SFF PCs and your case is by far the most appealing to me in terms of size and form! Is UPS The only shipping option to Canada? Because we will get raped with brokerage fees. USPS is pretty much the only option we have to avoid brokerage. How much are you planning on charging for your white case?

Shipping I've shipped recently to Canada and the customer said UPS charged the brokerage fee which actually negated his discount I gave. I guess I could offer USPS but that's a major headache for me for the following reasons:

1. I don't trust them to deliver any packages to the right location without damage.
2. They aren't open when I'm available to drop off (open from 9:30-5). This means I'd have to take off work to drop packages off or I'd have to come in to work late.
3. I've never made a claim with them but I'm quite certain it would be a pain.
4. Their tracking system is useless.
5. I don't trust them...

All that said, I could look into creating an account and trying out a scheduled pickup so at least the drop off inconvenience is avoided. The first time I have a problem making a claim though I might stop using them altogether.

[rant]As an anecdote I have been collecting AMD CPUs for a while and have ordered over 200, many of them through Ebay. I counted the success rate for USPS on the packages delivered to me and it was at best 90%. The other 10% either never showed up or were delivered to the wrong address. I even went in to pickup a package in July because the postman left a note on my door because signature was required - they brought out that package and a soaking wet one from May that was never delivered! It might not be too strong to say I hate the post office.[/rant]

I guess I can enable USPS for Canadian orders and give it a try. I do want to shift cases before the end of the year so every little bit helps. I'll figure out how to make the drop off work even if that means it could take a day or two for me to do it. Look for this to be added tomorrow - I'll update my thread here when it's done.

Sorry for unloading - welcome to the SFF community BTW! I'm flattered you like the design and I hope if you buy an S401 you'll be just as happy. If you have any questions before you decide to buy let me know. I would not recommend the Asus Strix Z390-i as it will not fit the S401 without modification to the case. I actually believe this is my fault for not moving the standoffs away from the rear IO panel to provide the clearance that board needs. I've not experienced any other boards having problems yet though.

KidWeaBoo

Average Stuffer
Dec 12, 2018
Thanks for the quick and informative response! Wow to really go out of your way for your potential customers! Which mobo do you recommend then? I've been looking at the Asrock phantom gaming na dit looks really good with thunderbolt 3 and good overclockability. I read a Tom's hardware review that it lacks a gen 2 usb 3.1 header. So does that mean that the USB c port on your case won't work or will work at a reduced speed?

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Shipping I've shipped recently to Canada and the customer said UPS charged the brokerage fee which actually negated his discount I gave. I guess I could offer USPS but that's a major headache for me for the following reasons:

1. I don't trust them to deliver any packages to the right location without damage.
2. They aren't open when I'm available to drop off (open from 9:30-5). This means I'd have to take off work to drop packages off or I'd have to come in to work late.
3. I've never made a claim with them but I'm quite certain it would be a pain.
4. Their tracking system is useless.
5. I don't trust them...

All that said, I could look into creating an account and trying out a scheduled pickup so at least the drop off inconvenience is avoided. The first time I have a problem making a claim though I might stop using them altogether.

[rant]As an anecdote I have been collecting AMD CPUs for a while and have ordered over 200, many of them through Ebay. I counted the success rate for USPS on the packages delivered to me and it was at best 90%. The other 10% either never showed up or were delivered to the wrong address. I even went in to pickup a package in July because the postman left a note on my door because signature was required - they brought out that package and a soaking wet one from May that was never delivered! It might not be too strong to say I hate the post office.[/rant]

I guess I can enable USPS for Canadian orders and give it a try. I do want to shift cases before the end of the year so every little bit helps. I'll figure out how to make the drop off work even if that means it could take a day or two for me to do it. Look for this to be added tomorrow - I'll update my thread here when it's done.

Sorry for unloading - welcome to the SFF community BTW! I'm flattered you like the design and I hope if you buy an S401 you'll be just as happy. If you have any questions before you decide to buy let me know. I would not recommend the Asus Strix Z390-i as it will not fit the S401 without modification to the case. I actually believe this is my fault for not moving the standoffs away from the rear IO panel to provide the clearance that board needs. I've not experienced any other boards having problems yet though.

Your /rant there helps me understand your perspective on it. If I could have moved me closer to you, I would have done it (and to have a better chance at seeing the sleek new S700 proto).

I'm curious: has anyone done a Sentry and Salvo comparison? Does anyone we know have both cases? It'd be a super intriguing comparison: a supreme console-style shootout, if you will.

Incognito

Efficiency Noob
Dec 12, 2018
Welcome to the club! Going through all of the backlogged info is always the hardest part of jumping in. Rewarding yourself with a fresh upgrade at the end of a semester is great! What are you planning to build in it?

I will be transplanting my corsair bulldog 2.0 build into this case. 7700k, msi mobo, and a zotac mini 1080 gpu. I'm really hoping to keep the Corsair h6 sf aio watercooling. Fortunately I have a lot of gear here at the college to assist with mod's.

I am not waiting patiently, but the next upgrade will be the new AMD ryzen 37XX and hopefully a new navi 10 based video card ~ middle of next year.

This is going to be fun!

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Thanks for the quick and informative response! Wow to really go out of your way for your potential customers! Which mobo do you recommend then? I've been looking at the Asrock phantom gaming na dit looks really good with thunderbolt 3 and good overclockability. I read a Tom's hardware review that it lacks a gen 2 usb 3.1 header. So does that mean that the USB c port on your case won't work or will work at a reduced speed?
For the S401, I would avoid any mobo with the IO shield built in. I've not had problems reported back to me for any other motherboard. As for the USB: if the specific mainboard you are looking at is this, it has a built-in 3.1 USB header that would work. If the only header available is 3.0 I believe it will still work but operate at 3.0 speeds.

Reactions: annasoh323

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
In case anyone was looking to buy spacers, they are in stock. For some reason I must have mis-typed the quantity as 1 because after I sold 1 set, my website thought I was out of stock.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
For the S401, I would avoid any mobo with the IO shield built in. I've not had problems reported back to me for any other motherboard. As for the USB: if the specific mainboard you are looking at is this, it has a built-in 3.1 USB header that would work. If the only header available is 3.0 I believe it will still work but operate at 3.0 speeds.
IIRC, my vanilla Gigabyte Z270N-WiFi was a bit more of a squeeze than I remember it being in the RVZ02. I had to apply a not-insignificant pressure on the board against the IO shield to line up the standoffs. Ultimately, I don't think any harm was done, so I didn't give it another thought until right now. I think, at the time, discussion about video card fitment was more in vogue. I can't remember how long I've been running now, but it's been at least a few months with no problems to speak of (that are case related. There are some that are user related but that's neither here nor there).

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
IIRC, my vanilla Gigabyte Z270N-WiFi was a bit more of a squeeze than I remember it being in the RVZ02. I had to apply a not-insignificant pressure on the board against the IO shield to line up the standoffs. Ultimately, I don't think any harm was done, so I didn't give it another thought until right now. I think, at the time, discussion about video card fitment was more in vogue. I can't remember how long I've been running now, but it's been at least a few months with no problems to speak of (that are case related. There are some that are user related but that's neither here nor there).
Yeah - *if* there is a revision made to the S401 the mainboard standoffs will be slid back a few mm. The spec I was looking at I believe referenced the distance for the standoffs from the outside of the case, but even so - I think the reference I used was off anyway because the thickness of the steel is only like 1mm and it seems it could use more than 1mm of relief.

Incognito

Efficiency Noob
Dec 12, 2018
Unfortunately my case did not arrive today. I can't believe UPS is busy at this time of year.

Just some pics to make Brian drool...

mcs437

Chassis Packer
Nov 21, 2018
Hey Everyone,

Looking forwards to the arrival of my S401 :) Should be with me on Tuesday according to UPS which means I'm going to take some time out from work and transplant my build into it (currently in a Node 202).

I've got the following components:

Ryzen 5 2600
ASUS B450i Motherboard
16GB DDR4 3000mhz RAM
1TB 970 EVO NVME SSD
Zotac 1070ti Mini
Corsair Gold 600w SFX PSU

---

Two questions for everyone if you don't mind helping!

• Any recommendations on an AM4 CPU cooler? I managed to nab a set of the spacers from Brian so can add extra clearance if I need. I did have a Black Ridge but had to send it back as it just doesn't work with my motherboard due to the included heatsink - current items I already have are a Wraith Stealth or Wraith Spire (with the shroud removed) but happy to order in another if anyone has any recommendations for the best AM4 cooler for this particular case?
  • PSU cables - currently I'm working with the stock Corsair cables and feel like they're going to be a bit tight but I've never purchased custom or sleeved cables before. Any idea on suitable cable lengths for my setup - or should I just go for the Corsair SFX Pro kit? (https://www.scan.co.uk/products/corsair-individually-sleeved-type-4-psu-cables-sfx-pro-kit-black)

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Hey Everyone,

Looking forwards to the arrival of my S401 :) Should be with me on Tuesday according to UPS which means I'm going to take some time out from work and transplant my build into it (currently in a Node 202).

I've got the following components:

Ryzen 5 2600
ASUS B450i Motherboard
16GB DDR4 3000mhz RAM
1TB 970 EVO NVME SSD
Zotac 1070ti Mini
Corsair Gold 600w SFX PSU

---

Two questions for everyone if you don't mind helping!

• Any recommendations on an AM4 CPU cooler? I managed to nab a set of the spacers from Brian so can add extra clearance if I need. I did have a Black Ridge but had to send it back as it just doesn't work with my motherboard due to the included heatsink - current items I already have are a Wraith Stealth or Wraith Spire (with the shroud removed) but happy to order in another if anyone has any recommendations for the best AM4 cooler for this particular case?
  • PSU cables - currently I'm working with the stock Corsair cables and feel like they're going to be a bit tight but I've never purchased custom or sleeved cables before. Any idea on suitable cable lengths for my setup - or should I just go for the Corsair SFX Pro kit? (https://www.scan.co.uk/products/corsair-individually-sleeved-type-4-psu-cables-sfx-pro-kit-black)

Well you should have ~56-58mm of clearance. So a cryorig c7+ https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3154105 + a full 92mm noctua (not the slim one) + 2x 40mm fans(I got some cheap scythe ones) helps keep the system nice and cool. :)

Another option.could be to buy the Deepcool GABRIEL Low Profile CPU Cooler. It is stock 60mm (with it's 20mm thick fan) replace it with a nf12x15 for compatability. :)

Last edited: