Completed S401: Salvo Studios <8L mITX Steel Unibody Chassis w/ GPU & CPU fans in same direction

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Great review @confusis, I am a big fan of video reviews myself. While the Salvo isn't my style of case I can really appreciate the amount of time and effort that @grsychckn has put into this project. His constant updates and answers to the many, many questions shows someone with a real dedication to his craft.

Reactions: annasoh323

SashaLag

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2018
I liked it, even if there's room for improvements! ... but everybody has to start somewhere! :)

BTW, videos in not indicized, don't know why. I saw this video on browser (surfing on mobile phone), so i opened the youtube mobile app to look it there, but your review doesn't show up! Maybe tags missing? I searched for "S401 Salvo". Plus, please, make also the written one! I like that more as they are a faster medium!

primitiveType

Cable Smoosher
Oct 20, 2018
Right! I happy to help too and pics would help! I have a feeling you just need to bend the blue USB cable back down at more of an angle? If you flip back to one of my earlier pics, I was able to keep it down by zip tie-ing it to the nearest mount. Let's us know to get ya sorted!!
(sorry for super late response, typed it up days ago and didn't hit send :eek:)
Yeah, I can probably do that. it will just require me to be more forceful than I was comfortable with at first. But I'm probably gonna go ahead and order a 90 degree connector. Any connector should do right? Like a connector doesn't need to be "Gen 2" to take advantage of the USB 3.1 Gen 2 right?

As for the ribbon, i'm not sure what to do. Maybe just kinda try to cram it in more (once I have the gpu in maybe it will make more sense?) But here's a photo that shows how much extra there is when I'm not trying to force it down.

Reactions: grsychckn

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Yeah, I can probably do that. it will just require me to be more forceful than I was comfortable with at first. But I'm probably gonna go ahead and order a 90 degree connector. Any connector should do right? Like a connector doesn't need to be "Gen 2" to take advantage of the USB 3.1 Gen 2 right?

As for the ribbon, i'm not sure what to do. Maybe just kinda try to cram it in more (once I have the gpu in maybe it will make more sense?) But here's a photo that shows how much extra there is when I'm not trying to force it down.

For the riser just gently fold it northward(towards CPU socket.)

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017

For the riser just gently fold it northward(towards CPU socket.)

Agreed. The PCIe extender cable is flexible and robust enough that you can gently bend it over the top of your m.2 cover to clear room for the vented panel to mount. These are standard length (300mm) extender cables that I purchased to ensure availability and easy replacement if I need to buy more - that is why they are a bit longer than they need to be.

As for the USB cable, you will need to use some muscle to angle the cables 90 degrees if you want to continue using the stock USB front panel cables that came with the adapter. I understand they are stiff, but that is why I recommend you warm them up so that they can be easily bent without so much worry about damaging them. If you do have problems manipulating the USB cables let me know - I'd be happy to help you find an alternative cable that might even be available off the shelf that would work better.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Yaaay! Confusis' New Zealand way of speaking!

(hey Confusis, if you are reading this, you should read audiobooks- "SG13's Travels", "Much Ado about Wasted Space", etc.)

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Excellent vid @confusis! I'd like to offer a review of your, er, review.

- I think this video reminded me more of a Hardware Unboxed vid than a Hardware Canucks vid (Aussies vs. Canadians vs. Kiwis notwithstanding). The wall of hardware paired with the glamour shots gave me that vibe.
- Speaking of vibes, the soft lounge music in the background is a noticeable and not altogether unwelcome change of pace from certain other channels' high octane presentation styles.
- Speaking of presentation styles (I think I'll let this trope wear out...), I noticed you didn't have any facetime on this one. And we also lost your portrait on your profile too! I know that camera presentation isn't the easiest thing to jump into but if this becomes a thing, a bit of connection to the audience goes a long way I think. Optimum Tech's early videos were purely voiceover until he eventually stepped round to the front of the camera and now he's a welcome face.
- I did also notice a bit of a background hum with your audio setup which I think gets a bit more prominent with just B-roll. I know that you're probably holding off on upgrading equipment until this becomes a more settled and profitable venture. Which reminds me, I should go count my pennies for the month to see if I can swing anything for the Patreon... Last note on this, have you considered reaching out to our resident YouTube personalities for advise? @Josh | NFC has a gripping on-screen persona (it took me some time to pick myself up off of the floor when he came in with the cigar and fog machine sitting in his truck while talking about cramming a 1080 into the S4 Mini).
- Content-wise, I don't think you could have made better use of your four-and-a-half minutes. I watched the video a few times to see if I could pick up on any info I might feel like I was missing but I think you nailed it. As someone who has built in the case, I feel like you were able to highlight the unique aspects of the build process (2.5" drive placement in particular) without making it a "here's how to build a PC n00bs" kind of overkill. The only addition I might suggest on the script is a version of your "Pros, Cons, and Niggles" from your written reviews. I think it's a great fingerprint of yours (and seemingly absent on your CG7 write-up. Had to go to the Ophion review to find the exact wording). If your video editing software will let you do a stylized text version of that (with SFFN aesthetics), I think that'd help differentiate and solidify the SFFN style.

If this is something you're eventually able to do more of, I think it'd be a great asset to the community and I wholeheartedly encourage and endorse it! Thanks for taking the time, as always.

Last edited:

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Finally, build video. I understand it's not great quality (especially the audio). I'm not a videographer so I don't have all the tools and experience to make something great, but at least this will help anyone that is looking for some basic information on how the S401 is built. The video is just over 30 minutes long and I build it with only the fans pre-installed.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017

@primitiveType Did you manage to finish your build? If you need help let me know!

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
I've had a couple of questions from friends about console size comparison. I'd figure I'd throw them up on here for anyone needing that for a size idea.

I took a picture of the S401 next to the Nintendo Switch but 1) It's about as pointless an exercise as one might expect since the Switch is so small 2) I can't for the life of me figure out an image hosting method that'll work for me with minimal effort. But I can see this as my ultimate travel setup for a long trip (which I anticipate for work sometime this year or next): Switch for the plane, S401 in my carry-on for the hotel room when I show up. I'll have to figure out laundry though since I won't be able to, you know, pack much clothing... Darn it, and keyboard. I'll build that 60% soon enough.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I took a picture of the S401 next to the Nintendo Switch but 1) It's about as pointless an exercise as one might expect since the Switch is so small 2) I can't for the life of me figure out an image hosting method that'll work for me with minimal effort. But I can see this as my ultimate travel setup for a long trip (which I anticipate for work sometime this year or next): Switch for the plane, S401 in my carry-on for the hotel room when I show up. I'll have to figure out laundry though since I won't be able to, you know, pack much clothing... Darn it, and keyboard. I'll build that 60% soon enough.
No matter how small we can get it, it's still not small enough!

Last edited:

DSmithBYU

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 26, 2018
Grsy, I've asked Mr. Phil Slater, of PSlateCustoms, if his custom-made PSU cables can be used for the S401. He's asking for measurements:

Once you get the case, you can measure lengths from PSU to components and we can do a custom order for the lengths needed! The prices will be the same as my other normal listings as it doesn't appear that the cables will need to be excessively long.

I don't have measuring tape on hand, so I'd like to ask: what is the estimated length in millimeters between the PSU from the side of the PSU connections to the motherboard?

I'm vested in ordering from him because he's made good clean cables for some of SFF Forum's promoted cases like the DAN A4/Lazer3D LZ7/Loque Ghost/NCASE M1. And I want to improve my cable management.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Grsy, I've asked Mr. Phil Slater, of PSlateCustoms, if his custom-made PSU cables can be used for the S401. He's asking for measurements:

I don't have measuring tape on hand, so I'd like to ask: what is the estimated length in millimeters between the PSU from the side of the PSU connections to the motherboard?

I'm vested in ordering from him because he's made good clean cables for some of SFF Forum's promoted cases like the DAN A4/Lazer3D LZ7/Loque Ghost/NCASE M1. And I want to improve my cable management.
This is pretty neat! I saw the website and it seems like he has standardized lengths for some of SFF's best cases. Seeing the S401 up there would be awesome. I'm curious though: what happens for those with motherboards with slightly non-standard layouts? I know my sister's Ryzen build using a Gigabyte Gaming AB350 ITX board has its CPU 8-pin kind of inward towards the socket rather than out on the edge like most. The 24-pin may also be a little odd too... Still, super cool! I'm kind of surprised that he can make nice-looking 10-pin+18-pin to 24-pin Corsair cables since the pinout looks pretty whacky.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017

Those cables look very nice! Be sure to post pictures of the final product.

If you look at the description underneath my YouTube video you'll see the following lengths for the custom cables I ordered. The length definitely depends on the location of the 24-pin and the 4/8-pin CPU power connectors on the mainboard.

Custom Cables Purchased from ModDIY.com ($105.22 shipped to US).
Specs: Premium Silver wire
one piece of 20+4 pin ATX modular cable, 30cm
one piece of 4+4 pin CPU/EPS modular cable, 37cm
two piece of 6+2 pin PCI-e modular cables, 12cm
two piece of CAB342 (Single molex male to 2x SATA female, 10cm each)
one piece of 1 x 6 Pin to 2x4-pin (molex) Power Supply Modular Cable, 10cm each)
Custom USB Front Panel Cable: 12cm 20-pin USB 3.0 cable MM (Male to Male) with premium silver wire $14.99

For reference, the PCIe extender is 30cm. The cables I ordered are little longer than they need to be because I was being conservative when I measured my lengths. I hope this helps!

Reactions: Sahaj

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
If it is what I think it is, someone contact him now!

...unless it's the second thing that I think it is which would be some kind of Nvidia logo that morphs into the AMD logo which morphs into the troll face.

Regardless, pictures would be nice from the person who gets this.

Anyone here either a current or soon-to-be S401 owner that is also an Nvidia fan? Contact me if you might be interested in something special for your S401.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Well, I broke it trying to get an uncut hex piece out. I'm currently waiting on @Sparkles to reply and see if he wants these.

I was trying to see if the 1/8" acrylic would work but the vented panel ended up warping pretty bad so I had to massage it with a heat gun to get it to come back close to flat. It still looks pretty good but I don't think the 1/8" thick acrylic is feasible moving forward.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Well, I broke it trying to get an uncut hex piece out. I'm currently waiting on @Sparkles to reply and see if he wants these.

I was trying to see if the 1/8" acrylic would work but the vented panel ended up warping pretty bad so I had to massage it with a heat gun to get it to come back close to flat. It still looks pretty good but I don't think the 1/8" thick acrylic is feasible moving forward.
That still looks pretty cool. I can see how 1/8" panels would be desirable; too bad they're not feasible with the existing setup. I'd imagine the warping would be a more serious problem than a broken hex piece; if it were me, I might try to break more of the hexes to make it look intentional... but that's why I'm not in business.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Ok, panels are still free (if you pay shipping). Contact me if you want them.