Completed S401: Salvo Studios <8L mITX Steel Unibody Chassis w/ GPU & CPU fans in same direction

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Looks like the 90 degree bend pretty much solved any potential worry I had with it. Gotta love those simple fixes!

A somewhat related question, have we seen any pictures of with the front IO installed, or am I crazy and just missed it?
Huh, you might be right. I just sort of figured that it would be away from the graphics card enough that it wouldn't interfere. Also, any graphics card that big probably would violate the width restrictions. I can't get onto his website so I can't confirm if the website product pages has it or not.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Huh, you might be right. I just sort of figured that it would be away from the graphics card enough that it wouldn't interfere. Also, any graphics card that big probably would violate the width restrictions. I can't get onto his website so I can't confirm if the website product pages has it or not.
No pictures with the front I/O installed yet. I have a prototype where I confirmed the fit but it wasn't painted so I didn't take pictures. I can get a picture uploaded tomorrow morning.

Reactions: annasoh323

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
grsychckn, what Delta 60x60x15mm case fan model did you use for the tests??
I used the AFC0612DB. I purchased 100 of these from China but don't know when I'll be receiving them. I'll pull some and test them to make sure they operate the same as the ones I have and then I'll figure out what price I can offer them for. I think I'll be in the $3-5 range.

Edit: I just realized I purchased a different model (AFB0612VHC) which supplies less air flow (27.9 vs 29 CFM) and has less RPM (5400 vs 7200), but to be honest they both are supposedly PWM so I don't see much difference. I will re-run my tests from earlier with these new fans to ensure they behave as expected.

Last edited:
Reactions: annasoh323

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Sit-Rep: Awaiting reply from the fabricator if I'll be able to pickup the parts tomorrow. As soon as I hear from them I'll post here.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Update from the fabricator:

They won't be ready yet.

We are forming the part A's this morning and they need fasteners and paint after that.

We have most of the side panels done, the hex handles manufactured, and we are pushing your parts through as fast as possible. It's going to be sometime next week when they are done. We are rushing and I have put your parts as a priority, but it takes time to make the parts, even when we are focusing on them.

I'm terribly sorry everyone as it looks like it's going to be a few more days. What I'm going to do in the meantime is get everyone's packages as ready for shipping as I can and I'll guarantee I'll get your packages shipped the next day after I receive the parts.

Sparkles

Trash Compacter
Jul 24, 2018
Update from the fabricator:

I'm terribly sorry everyone as it looks like it's going to be a few more days. What I'm going to do in the meantime is get everyone's packages as ready for shipping as I can and I'll guarantee I'll get your packages shipped the next day after I receive the parts.

I know for my small group that purchased we're just looking forward to it whenever they happen to ship. I wouldn't worry too much, this stuff takes time and I would hope that everyone here fully understands that. Personally, I'd rather it take a bit of time over being rushed to make sure these come out as right as you're expecting them to be. Thanks for the updates, as usual, and looking forward to the next ones!

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
This gives me time to plan my build out a little better anyway. Any word on the possibilities of the filters coming from you?

Also, have you ever told the story of the name "Salvo Studios"? Wondering if there is some kind of deeper meaning.

Reactions: grsychckn

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
This gives me time to plan my build out a little better anyway. Any word on the possibilities of the filters coming from you?

Also, have you ever told the story of the name "Salvo Studios"? Wondering if there is some kind of deeper meaning.

Update on the filters is that I can get them for a 10% discount if I order 50 units but the shipping eats back into the discount before I can even list them for sale. This also means I'd have to sell 25 sets of filters just to empty inventory. The risk might not be worth the effort. I've currently got a request in for a custom-size, single filter that covers the hexagon holes on the vented panel. I'll make a decision after they get back to me on that price.

Today I'm receiving the SSD/HDD stackers. If they look good and function like I expect, I think I'm going to offer to include one set (2.5" or 3.5") with each of the pre-orders. This is contingent on IF they function correctly.

Salvo Studios was just the result of my search for a name I like. The idea was to tie it back to gaming somehow and when I started the logo contest, I was actually looking to receive entries with artillery shells in the images. The winner just happened to be a view looking down an abstract gun barrel (formed from 2 'S's). So, basically no meaning behind it - just what I thought was a cool name and logo. Thanks for asking!

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Update on the filters is that I can get them for a 10% discount if I order 50 units but the shipping eats back into the discount before I can even list them for sale. This also means I'd have to sell 25 sets of filters just to empty inventory. The risk might not be worth the effort. I've currently got a request in for a custom-size, single filter that covers the hexagon holes on the vented panel. I'll make a decision after they get back to me on that price.

Today I'm receiving the SSD/HDD stackers. If they look good and function like I expect, I think I'm going to offer to include one set (2.5" or 3.5") with each of the pre-orders. This is contingent on IF they function correctly.

Salvo Studios was just the result of my search for a name I like. The idea was to tie it back to gaming somehow and when I started the logo contest, I was actually looking to receive entries with artillery shells in the images. The winner just happened to be a view looking down an abstract gun barrel (formed from 2 'S's). So, basically no meaning behind it - just what I thought was a cool name and logo. Thanks for asking!

I must have come in after the logo contest (not that I'm a graphic design type... or a business branding type). It does have a good flow to it.

I'll keep my radar up for the drive stacker and the filters. Gelid fans and fan splitter came in, as did my extra SATA data (rhyme!) cable that I needed. I forgot to check if the fans came with screws though... Just waiting on the SATA power (no rhyme) splitters and then I should be ready to receive the case. My last decision is if I want to try to do anything to my power cables. I was thinking I might be able to take the existing ribbon cables, peel them apart, and depin/sleeve/repin them on a one-for-one basis for a fun afternoon project. More internals will be visible and custom case deserves a little extra TLC (especially since no other parts will really be upgraded).

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I must have come in after the logo contest (not that I'm a graphic design type... or a business branding type). It does have a good flow to it.

I'll keep my radar up for the drive stacker and the filters. Gelid fans and fan splitter came in, as did my extra SATA data (rhyme!) cable that I needed. I forgot to check if the fans came with screws though... Just waiting on the SATA power (no rhyme) splitters and then I should be ready to receive the case. My last decision is if I want to try to do anything to my power cables. I was thinking I might be able to take the existing ribbon cables, peel them apart, and depin/sleeve/repin them on a one-for-one basis for a fun afternoon project. More internals will be visible and custom case deserves a little extra TLC (especially since no other parts will really be upgraded).

Exciting times, and lots of work ahead of you (but fun work!). As for the fan screws, don't worry about it as the case comes with 12 black fan screws to match the case. As for your cables: I don't know what PSU you have (assuming SF600) but if the cables are hard to move around I'd suggest you pickup a cheap heat gun (hairdryer might even work). You'll probably burn the tips of your fingers, but that's the type sacrifice you have to make at least once to organize your cables.

Lastly, I thought I'd add that the S401 has 6 built-in zip tie mount points. I don't think I've talked about this before but looking down at the mainboard, there are 3 points to the right of the mainboard and 3 along the bottom. I'm including 4 zip ties with each case so you don't have to go out and buy them unless you mess up and have to cut & remove them. Picture below.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Exciting times, and lots of work ahead of you (but fun work!). As for the fan screws, don't worry about it as the case comes with 12 black fan screws to match the case. As for your cables: I don't know what PSU you have (assuming SF600) but if the cables are hard to move around I'd suggest you pickup a cheap heat gun (hairdryer might even work). You'll probably burn the tips of your fingers, but that's the type sacrifice you have to make at least once to organize your cables.

Lastly, I thought I'd add that the S401 has 6 built-in zip tie mount points. I don't think I've talked about this before but looking down at the mainboard, there are 3 points to the right of the mainboard and 3 along the bottom. I'm including 4 zip ties with each case so you don't have to go out and buy them unless you mess up and have to cut & remove them. Picture below.

This picture makes it look like there is so much more room available between the Mobo and psu than in the salvo400 case. :) HUGE +1 for that!!

Reactions: papayo

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018

To clarify: The heat gun is just for loosening the cables during install, correct? Enough to soften them up, route them, then let them cool into place?

Mmm... zip tie cable management hooks... good. Of course, knowing my luck, I'll run all the cables with scorched fingers and all then realize I forgot to thread the zip ties ahead of time and now can't fish it though under mounds of cabling. Then I'll remember that I posted this on the forum and retire to my bedroom to cry into my pillow.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
To clarify: The heat gun is just for loosening the cables during install, correct? Enough to soften them up, route them, then let them cool into place?

Mmm... zip tie cable management hooks... good. Of course, knowing my luck, I'll run all the cables with scorched fingers and all then realize I forgot to thread the zip ties ahead of time and now can't fish it though under mounds of cabling. Then I'll remember that I posted this on the forum and retire to my bedroom to cry into my pillow.
Correct, the heat gun will soften them and if they stay in position while they cool they *should* retain their shape. Get them too hot though and you'll have rubber all over the surface of whatever it touches. They don't have to be hot, just warm.

Sparkles

Trash Compacter
Jul 24, 2018
I used the AFC0612DB. I purchased 100 of these from China but don't know when I'll be receiving them. I'll pull some and test them to make sure they operate the same as the ones I have and then I'll figure out what price I can offer them for. I think I'll be in the $3-5 range.

Edit: I just realized I purchased a different model (AFB0612VHC) which supplies less air flow (27.9 vs 29 CFM) and has less RPM (5400 vs 7200), but to be honest they both are supposedly PWM so I don't see much difference. I will re-run my tests from earlier with these new fans to ensure they behave as expected.

Question for ya on the top two exhaust fans. Is there room for potentially a slightly thicker one? I'm slightly partial to Noctua, if I can, and wonder if the NF-A6x25 would work.

Reactions: papayo

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Question for ya on the top two exhaust fans. Is there room for potentially a slightly thicker one? I'm slightly partial to Noctua, if I can, and wonder if the NF-A6x25 would work.

Sorry, the top two fans can be a maximum of 15mm. The bottom fan can be 25mm.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
*readies return labels for gelid fans pending response*

*confused; starts packing Gelid fans that just came in the mail yesterday*

Sorry, the top two fans can be a maximum of 15mm. The bottom fan can be 25mm.

*confusion continues; begins packing old computer into the box instead of the Gelid fans. It hurt itself in its confusion!*

No probs, I can do some research but would you guys know, of the top of your heads, would be the quietest fans that fit the profile? The Gelid ones?

The Gelid Silent 6 units I picked up (see above) have a claimed noise spec of 24 dBa. The airflow (what I think to be the more important spec here over static pressure) is 16 cfm. Compared to the aforementioned Delta airflow value of 27.9 cfm and it seems that the Delta fans that @grsychckn ordered have much more flow at max speed. I guess what I'm saying is that despite a potentially higher noise ceiling (not sure of exact spec on the Deltas), the equivalent airflow may come at a more desirable total noise volume and a subjective noise quality between fans. If confirmed, I may ask @grsychckn to send me an extra invoice to chuck a couple of the Deltas in with my order for science. I did see some other options on Amazon that fit the size bill but the review saying something about smoke and flame turned me off to a couple of them. Smoke and flame is probably no bueno for those ordering wood panels... or that plan on having a computer inside their case.

Edited to add: sorry for calling you out multiple times in one post grsychckn. It feels weird to call out your screen name without making it a tag, like just now.