Completed S401: Salvo Studios <8L mITX Steel Unibody Chassis w/ GPU & CPU fans in same direction

papayo

Caliper Novice
Jun 4, 2018
The gelid fans seemed to be the most readily available option (edit: with easy return shipping) off Amazon and Newegg. Hopefully the 15.5mm isn't an issue. Guess we'll see :)

Last edited:
Reactions: grsychckn

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
The gelid fans seemed to be the most readily available option (edit: with easy return shipping) off Amazon and Newegg. Hopefully the 15.5mm isn't an issue. Guess we'll see :)

I could swear there was a picture of the Gelids installed in one of the prototype cases earlier in the thread. Putting on my archaeologist hat and... ah, I think this one, and this one, assuming that these are the same fans. And that also depends somewhat on motherboard cable routing/component placement too I would think. Hopefully not too much though.

For some science, I'm going to grab a couple these off of Amazon:

Evercool EC6015SH12BP

PWM
18.2 - 38.9 dBA
21.18 CFM

There's really not much choice for PWM fans at this size. Ha!

Hmm, didn't see these. Perhaps they're a middle ground between the Gelids and Deltas in terms of performance?

<muttering to self> is this how it ends? buried in a heap of fans like some kind of Egyptian Pharaoh entombed with my trappings?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
15.5mm is not a problem. Sorry for the delayed response, been busy at work today. I will say I received the 2.5" and 3.5" stackers and early results suggest they will work great. I'll try to get some pictures tonight.

DSmithBYU

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 26, 2018
Seems the specific demciflex filter on Amazon's down to one or already sold out. It's all good because I intend to order from their site.

A question about the 60mm spots: would the Quad 60mm I/D Computer Dust Filter work to cover said spots?

I'm still using the horizontal orientation for the case.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Seems the specific demciflex filter on Amazon's down to one or already sold out. It's all good because I intend to order from their site.

A question about the 60mm spots: would the Quad 60mm I/D Computer Dust Filter work to cover said spots?

I'm still using the horizontal orientation for the case.

Sorry, the quad 60mm ID filter would not work. The width of the S401 is just over 68mm. Those filters are 80mm wide. If Demciflex could offer some thin-framed filters they'd have an even better product on their hands.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I see. If that's the case (sorry for pun), I've found two filters below the 68mm width based on overall size:

0026 - Double 60mm O/D
0044 - Triple 60mm O/D

Can these two also work??

According to the specs, the Triple 60mm will work best as the double will block the edges of the fans in the longest dimension (length-wise). The width is just over 40mm of open vents and the length is around 145mm (130mm from fan edge to fan edge) for the vents on those two 60mm fans on top.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Ooh, realized one of the quirks of my motheboard: USB 3 header is in a terrible spot next to my CPU socket. Have we had any pictures/product pages for the front panel connections? It'll help me plan the eventual build process better.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Ooh, realized one of the quirks of my motheboard: USB 3 header is in a terrible spot next to my CPU socket. Have we had any pictures/product pages for the front panel connections? It'll help me plan the eventual build process better.

Ignore the slight offset on the front as the board was installed misaligned. The adapter comes with a standard blue 20", 20-pin front panel interface cable. I ordered a custom 20-pin cable from moddiy.com with the premium silver wire because the standard blue tends to be quite inflexible.

Reactions: annasoh323

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Ignore the slight offset on the front as the board was installed misaligned. The adapter comes with a standard blue 20", 20-pin front panel interface cable. I ordered a custom 20-pin cable from moddiy.com with the premium silver wire because the standard blue tends to be quite inflexible.

More flexible cable sounds like a good thing. :thumb: Thanks for the answer

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016

This is what the world needs, USB-C front panel!!!

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I forgot to mention something that deserves it's own post. If you plan on purchasing a 25mm fan (Noctua NF-A6x25 or similar), it is important that I inform you that depth fan will interfere with two of the 2.5" drive mounting locations. The other two 2.5" drive locations are still available for use.

Also, if you use an SFX-L PSU, you will not have clearance to also use one of the 3.5" drive mounts (the one directly below the PSU when vertical and PSU is on top).

I've been VERY busy this weekend and have lots of information to share but it's going to take a while to get it organized and posted. I also need to summarize the configurations and implications of specific hardware usage.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Panel Spacers:

These add 5.2mm to the vented panel clearance. That would mean it should be possible to get at 58mm heatsink installed inside the case (I'm going to try and see if I can order one to test with). Also, ignore the rough edges as I cut these prototypes on the honeycomb backing and the laser reflects up when it passes over the metal comb. If I decide to sell these, I'll have to make a jig I can use to stand them off the base so I can get a smooth edge like I do with the acrylic side panels.

Last edited:

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I laser cut 130 button spacers (1 will be included in each case).

As for the panel spacers, they are going to be expensive to produce so I'm unsure yet how I'll price them. If I can't reduce the cost they will probably be around $30 for a set.

I have 50 sets of each type (2.5"/3.5") of disk stackers. I think I'm going to price them around $7. Pre-orders will get a free 3.5" stacker set with their order.

I'm nearly done with the quick install guide and will be sending out a newsletter tonight if I can get the time.

Parts went to paint today so I expect they'll be packing them up tomorrow and I *should* have them Wednesday. If things change I'll update this thread.

Last edited:

Sparkles

Trash Compacter
Jul 24, 2018
I printed out 130 button spacers (1 will be included in each case).

As for the panel spacers, they are going to be expensive to produce so I'm unsure yet how I'll price them. If I can't reduce the cost they will probably be around $30 for a set.

I have 50 sets of each type (2.5"/3.5") of disk stackers. I think I'm going to price them around $7. Pre-orders will get a free 3.5" stacker set with their order.

I'm nearly done with the quick install guide and will be sending out a newsletter tonight if I can get the time.

Parts went to paint today so I expect they'll be packing them up tomorrow and I *should* have them Wednesday. If things change I'll update this thread.

It's kinda' funny as seeing the stackers has me thinking how dense I could make the S700. The idea is you hope to have them be usable in both, right?

Front button updates look great! Case will be here soon, and of course my luck, right as I'll be leaving for vacation next week. Haha! That's ok, all parts are ready to go minus this 2080Ti order coming in who knows when, so we're in the home stretch!