Completed S401: Salvo Studios <8L mITX Steel Unibody Chassis w/ GPU & CPU fans in same direction

batterybull

Trash Compacter
Jul 28, 2018
Pictures of the demciflex filters installed (magnetic so they can be easily removed). Sorry for the bad image quality as my photography gear isn't currently setup.

I'm in contact with them to try and get these available on my website for order so you know you're getting the compatible filters. Hopefully I'll be able to offer them at least at the same price as Amazon or on their own website.

Shame that it covers up that fine looking panel! I saw that they offer a white mesh as well, maybe that will give better "visibility"? This would be perfect mounted on the inside, great work as always!

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Shame that it covers up that fine looking panel! I saw that they offer a white mesh as well, maybe that will give better "visibility"? This would be perfect mounted on the inside, great work as always!
Thank you. Unfortunately, the Demciflex filters won't be able to be installed on the inside as there is interference with the PSU hold-down tab. Maybe I'll have time one day to try and laser cut the mesh material and attempt to glue it to the metal panel but we'll see if/when that happens.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Yeah I'm really hoping the Corsair PSUs have no issue. Already have the 650w one and a 2080 Ti lined up to slap in the case .

Ok, jury is in on the SF-series and it fits. It's VERY tight and will require a little care getting everything in right but I also think I'm going to slot the holes in the back for the next batch (if I can) so that the mounts can be adjusted slightly one way or the other. I can't make these adjustments after I receive them from the shop as they come to me already painted and drilling into them not only would look bad, but the paint would be missing in those areas.

My SF600 I just received today installed in the S401.

Sparkles

Trash Compacter
Jul 24, 2018
Ok, jury is in on the SF-series and it fits. It's VERY tight and will require a little care getting everything in right but I also think I'm going to slot the holes in the back for the next batch (if I can) so that the mounts can be adjusted slightly one way or the other. I can't make these adjustments after I receive them from the shop as they come to me already painted and drilling into them not only would look bad, but the paint would be missing in those areas.

Whew this is close huh! Ha! Do you feel there's any concern for the power button connector wires bending that close?

Reactions: grsychckn

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018

Phew, that's a relief (though those cables look like they could use a bit of a different kind of relief). What's your opinion on the stock cables and how they'll fit?

Whew this is close huh! Ha! Do you feel there's any concern for the power button connector wires bending that close?

That does look a bit close, huh... I wonder if it's possible to make the button stick out a little bit by adjusting the locking nut. It might look a little derpy on the front side but at least the cables won't be as strained.

Thank you. Unfortunately, the Demciflex filters won't be able to be installed on the inside as there is interference with the PSU hold-down tab. Maybe I'll have time one day to try and laser cut the mesh material and attempt to glue it to the metal panel but we'll see if/when that happens.

Laser cut ALL the things!

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Thanks for the heads up. I see why this would be. Perhaps you can give an opinion on the stock corsair cable connectors and their suitability though I suspect they may be no bueno.
The stock corsair cable connectors are the wrong type for SATA interfaces. Beyond that, they should work fine. For the SATA connections you could buy a few molex to SATA adapters. If you have problems with the cable stiffness, use a hairdryer or heat gun to help shape them how you want.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
The stock corsair cable connectors are the wrong type for SATA interfaces. Beyond that, they should work fine. For the SATA connections you could buy a few molex to SATA adapters. If you have problems with the cable stiffness, use a hairdryer or heat gun to help shape them how you want.

Not sure if SATA to SATA extenders exist. I would think that would be an option too, it maybe I'm thinking along different lines than you. Or does anyone know how those are wired and if it's possible to fab new ones? Or buy, I guess. It is just one cable after all.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017

It didn't really apply that much pressure so I don't think I'd be that concerned. I'll have dozens of spares in stock so I'll have them available if there are problems. If I find it to be an ongoing issue, I'll swap out your chassis for one with the slots on the back (next batch) - assuming I can get this change implemented by the fabricator. If you'd rather wait for the updated version where the PSU will be able to slide over slightly to relieve the button, I can certainly put your order on hold. The next batch will probably arrive at the end of September.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Not sure if SATA to SATA extenders exist. I would think that would be an option too, it maybe I'm thinking along different lines than you. Or does anyone know how those are wired and if it's possible to fab new ones? Or buy, I guess. It is just one cable after all.

Something like this is what I was thinking. The included SATA cable looks to have 4 or 5 SATA power connectors in series while the molex cable has 3 or 4. You can also buy a SATA Y adapter or SATA power extenders. The problem with extenders is that you'll find it very hard to find them in lengths less than 8".

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

I used one of these from NZXT in my Ncase with the stock Corsair cables as I was having the same issue with the SATA connectors. Using this I didn't need additional SATA connectors so wasn't adding any additional cables.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
I used one of these from NZXT in my Ncase with the stock Corsair cables as I was having the same issue with the SATA connectors. Using this I didn't need additional SATA connectors so wasn't adding any additional cables.
That looks pretty handy. Does anyone know how much power the Corsair string of Molex connectors can juice before it fries?

Shoot, not sure if I remember what I did with my Molex cable. Gotta go check if I still have that bag.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
That looks pretty handy. Does anyone know how much power the Corsair string of Molex connectors can juice before it fries?

Shoot, not sure if I remember what I did with my Molex cable. Gotta go check if I still have that bag.
It's some ridiculous amount like 75w. I think it's between 6A and 10A depending on the gauge of the wire (so 6A * 12V = 72W). I might be wrong on this but I think this is why in the olden days there were 4-pin molex to 6-pin GPU adapters for PSUs that didn't have those connectors.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017

OK, I have a solution for this. I'll "laser cut ALL the things" by making my own spacers. I'll include a 1/8" spacer with each case that you can install if you'd like to free up some space between that button and the PSU connector. I thought I'd add slots to the back of the chassis but I remembered that those holes I was going to slot are actually embossed with a specific tool so I can't change the shape after they are made. Plus, this way I don't have to request another change on the chassis in between runs. I should have the spacers done mid-late this week and I'll post pictures as soon as I can.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
OK, I have a solution for this. I'll "laser cut ALL the things" by making my own spacers. I'll include a 1/8" spacer with each case that you can install if you'd like to free up some space between that button and the PSU connector. I thought I'd add slots to the back of the chassis but I remembered that those holes I was going to slot are actually embossed with a specific tool so I can't change the shape after they are made. Plus, this way I don't have to request another change on the chassis in between runs. I should have the spacers done mid-late this week and I'll post pictures as soon as I can.
Sorry about reviving the dead meme. I stopped short of making a new image with it. I'm having a bit of a hard time imagining where the spacers might go so I'll wait for the proto pics. Curious to see more broadly how the Corsair SF series fits in the S401.

I was browser-shopping over at Amazon (is that an appropriate analogue phrase to "window shopping"?). I saw these and thought, "why not? What's the worst that can happen (besides frying all my hard drives if the connectors are no bueno)?" Never heard of this brand, not sure about quality, but it seems like exactly what I need. When they come in, I'll give them a good physical inspection and hit it with my multimeter to make sure continuities between pins look good.

So, will you be laser-cutting your Thanksgiving turkey this year? Christmas ham? Christmas tree and Christmas present wrapping? I think there's a YouTube channel career here... "Cutting my hair... WITH LASERS"

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Updated PSU compatibility matrix below. I ordered some C13 adapters and will make them available for purchase if you are caught in the rather unfortunate position of owning one of the PSUs that will require an adapter to connect to my internal C13 extender.

Explanation of "Adapter" (Up, Down, Left, Right) - S401 expects the PSU to be in the "Right" orientation when installed inside the case

PDF Download

Edit: The image above was wrong - updated now to be correct.

Last edited:
Reactions: annasoh323

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Sorry about reviving the dead meme. I stopped short of making a new image with it. I'm having a bit of a hard time imagining where the spacers might go so I'll wait for the proto pics. Curious to see more broadly how the Corsair SF series fits in the S401.

I was browser-shopping over at Amazon (is that an appropriate analogue phrase to "window shopping"?). I saw these and thought, "why not? What's the worst that can happen (besides frying all my hard drives if the connectors are no bueno)?" Never heard of this brand, not sure about quality, but it seems like exactly what I need. When they come in, I'll give them a good physical inspection and hit it with my multimeter to make sure continuities between pins look good.

So, will you be laser-cutting your Thanksgiving turkey this year? Christmas ham? Christmas tree and Christmas present wrapping? I think there's a YouTube channel career here... "Cutting my hair... WITH LASERS"

LOL - I've already got enough to laser cut that it'll keep me busy for a while. As for the SATA splitter cables, I think those are fine - especially if you're using newer SSDs. The SATA spec was made prior to the lower-power SSDs being widely available so I can't imagine you'll have a problem.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Would one need longer screws if you were to use a spacer? I don't know for sure, but I'd assume that the acrylic space would go between the PSU and the PSU bracket. If that is true, you might might need longer screws to fit through the spacer.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Would one need longer screws if you were to use a spacer? I don't know for sure, but I'd assume that the acrylic space would go between the PSU and the PSU bracket. If that is true, you might might need longer screws to fit through the spacer.
Oh no - I must have described it wrong. The spacer is actually for the button. It will fit between the outside of the case and the button to move the button terminals towards the front of the case. Essentially it will be a standoff (or collar) for the button along the front face of the case. I'll see if I can get a sample made up using my scrap acrylic.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Oh no - I must have described it wrong. The spacer is actually for the button. It will fit between the outside of the case and the button to move the button terminals towards the front of the case. Essentially it will be a standoff (or collar) for the button along the front face of the case. I'll see if I can get a sample made up using my scrap acrylic.
Ah, I see now. I thought it might be like a PSU offset spacer that would have its own set of screws and tapped holes. That makes a LOT more sense and is a much more elegant solution than what I was thinking (that's why I'm not a very good engineer).

Interested in one! (pending prototyping)