S4 Mini Walnut front with 1080 Mini

ParatoXon

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
May 30, 2017
So I just got my S4 Mini and I wanted to share my building experience with you guys. May it help those who struggle building in this awesome case.

First the specs:

-i5-4670K
-MSI Z97I Gaming ACK (soon)
-16GB 1600 Mhz RAM
-Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
-128GB SSD
-2x1TB HDD 3,5" (want to switch to 2GB 2,5")
-Noctua NH-L9i (soon)
-HDPLEX 400W

GTX 1080 and i5-4670K may not be the most reasonable combination, but the GPU was far more important to upgrade so it could fit th S4 Mini.

Right now the parts I've got are far from perfect. Those 3,5" have to to be replaced and I really need a LGA1150 ITX board with a M.2 slot or just an ITX board which i do not have. But those are quiet rare here in Germany.

The empty S4:

The first thing I did, was checking how to fit the 1080 Mini in the case. Immediatly i realized I won't be able to put the walnut bezel on after installing the GPU because of this screw:

Thats where I made the decision to completly disassamble the S4:

Next on is the power adapter for the HDPLEX 400W. At first I was worried it would not fit and I have t do some modding since the 1080 Mini is very high. But man I've never been proven wrong like this. It fits like it was moulded right into the 1080 Mini. Firstly I had to pre-bend the cable to match the shape of the 1080 Mini:

And after that it just fits perfectly:

Next up is the power cable for the 1080 Mini. This cable has to be pre-bend aswell and attached before putting both halfs together:

The tricky part is putting back together both halfs of the chassis. The notch in the red circle goes against the GPU half:

and has to be between the GPU half and the HDPLEX power adapter:

Also important is the alignment of the second 8-pin connector. It just fits between shroud and PCB like this:

All this is a very thight fit.

Now that I had everything put back together, I could test fit the HDPLEX itself. And it just fits as perfect as the power adapter. Even the orientation of the nut for the power button has to be considered:

That's it for today. I'm going to update this post when I get a LGA 1150 ITX board that fits my needs

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
@ParatoXon, awesome work and a beautiful build. Thank you for the write-up as well! I will put it in the S4 MINI thread index.

@everyone:

ParatoXon's tutorial above is the method that is necessary for the 1080ti. I don't know of another way to do it. With the 1080, you can also just remove the wrap-around cover. I added a video to the 3D Bezel page, but with how far down it is I don't think many people noticed:

http://nfc-systems.com/shop/3d-bezel

Last edited:

ParatoXon

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
May 30, 2017
Quick little update;
I just smoked the 1080 Mini while trying to install drivers for it. No idea how this happend. Looks like the rizer got smoked aswell...

Reactions: Soul_Est

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Quick little update;
I just smoked the 1080 Mini while trying to install drivers for it. No idea how this happend. Looks like the rizer got smoked aswell...
restart your PC, go to the device manager, find the GPU and enable it? maybe its not enabled? happens to me every time i reflash the BIOS on my 1080 mini, hope yours it okay

Reactions: Josh | NFC

ParatoXon

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
May 30, 2017
Did you smoke it, literally? :(

It looks like this now:

And I don't think this is good, anyways I'm goining to RMA the 1080 Mini

restart your PC, go to the device manager, find the GPU and enable it? maybe its not enabled? happens to me every time i reflash the BIOS on my 1080 mini, hope yours it okay

This may have helped since it didn't show up there, gonna try it next time if it fails me

duke00

Average Stuffer
May 27, 2016
Which external AC/DC Power Block you use for this components ? i only know the Dell 330W Power Brick as maximum atm.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I know the HDPlex Risers have to be used a specific way (insert the connector into the correct end). As such it is possible to reverse the cable and insert your GPU into the wrong end. Any chance you messed up on this?

ParatoXon

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
May 30, 2017
@Kmpkt Nope one thing I did not mess up.

But the it looks like the key is the key to the problem. I put the key from the NFC riser in the wrong way (not like there are arrows pointing the way). Feels pretty dumb.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Make sure your motherboard isn't damaged! But yeah, the fact that it's possible to get it in wrong is something I've never thought about... Worries me, honestly.

Wyd4

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 21, 2018
Wonder how many of these I would need to stack to fit a founders 1080ti :p
I have wanted the NFC case for a while but sadly there is a lack of high end mini cards over here.

Fantastic solution though to getting the mini ti into the NFC :D

Reactions: Biowarejak