S4 Mini w/ Ryzen 1700 and 1080 TI

Reglar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 16, 2017
As I was working on the video I realized I had some labeling issues in the graphs (like calling the GT 63CFM when it's 69, etc). So I updated the graphs.

Reglar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 16, 2017
This pretty much wraps up this build log. If you have questions feel free to ask them, I'll try to answer whenever possible.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the discussion on the build.

Reglar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 16, 2017
Works really well. Of course usually it will be under 400 watts since its rare both CPU and GPU will peg to max for long periods in games.

Illoominatty

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 14, 2017
That's good to hear I'm in the process of doing a i5 8600k and 1070 ti build. And was curious since the 1070 ti and 1080 pull the same wattage but knowing you have the ti boosts my confidence even more.

Reglar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 16, 2017
As some of you say in the main S4 mini thread, I received new modded power bricks from Gury to deal with the thermal shutdown I would get every once in a while. The new bricks come with a very quiet fan and some exhaust holes on the other end, providing enough air flow to keep the brick cool. It also has a new custom PCB for controlling the fan.

I did some full load tests overnight and the new brick works great!

In order to ensure that my system components didn't overheat I took the case off and my temps PLUMMETED! I was down to 67C on the CPU, and 79C on the GPU, and so this gave me a new mod idea.

What if I make cutouts in the case for low restriction fan grills? I bet it will make my system both quieter AND cooler.

First step though I need to have the case sand blasted since I have powder coating on it. So stay tuned, I'll have results of this mod in a few weeks.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Thanks for your video and research..:)

I’m amazed how fast is going dc-dc and power bricks are progressing..:)

Reglar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 16, 2017
Ok I have finished my case modification for this build! I added openings in the cases over the CPU and GPU fans, and put some fan grills over them. The goal was to improve air flow, which it did.

You can see here the temperature gains.

While there is a bit more noise now that the fan is able to pull more air, it's not very much and for me a good trade off.

With this improved thermal performance I will be able to play with some CPU and GPU overclocking now.

Here's a video of the modifications.