S4 Mini w/ Ryzen 1700 and 1080 TI

Reglar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 16, 2017
I don't have a very original title for my build but at least it's descriptive. This also won't be very many posts, it's really just to help people who have the same PSU/GFX combo. Note this would also cover the normal Zotac 1080, not just the 1080 TI.

Build components:

MB: BIOSTAR X370GTN
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700
RAM: G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB 3200
SSD: SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2 1TB
GFX: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Mini
PSU: guryhwa's Limited Edition Arch Deamon

I removed both covers from the chassis, which made it much easier to get the power connector attached and the wires managed. This isn't what I would call a professional job, but it gets it done.

I'll post pictures once I figure out why my links to google photos isn't working.

Last edited:

Reglar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 16, 2017
And I now have my pictures working...

First off, here's the mad scientist workshop I'm building in...

Here's the empty chassis

Here you can see the ghetto mod I made to add 2 USB 2 ports; I am using this build to drive a 3 sensor Oculus Rift, and any sensors after 2 have to be USB 2.

It works, so I'm happy.

Next up is the backplate installed. I also put in the PSU on the bottom so I can better manage the wires during the build. I had done it with the wires on top first but it wasn't very neat.

Here I've inserted the Zotac 1080 TI through the opening in the chasis. I also took out the 2 screws in the chassis holding the top of the chassis to the back of the chassis; I needed the flexibility later for getting the PSU plugs installed into the TI.

Here I have tilted the card to insert the power.

Here the plugs are installed and the card moved back to normal orientation.

Here is a close-up of the plugs.

I flipped the chassis over and you can see how it looks from that side.

Next up is power connector for the chassis; it mounts on the outside with the screws attached on the inside of the chassis. Leaving the chassis top unscrewed helps with getting the power connector attached. It's in the upper left corner of the picture.

Here is how it looks from the outside.

Next I installed the motherboard. I had the fan off the CPU cooler to see if I could replace it with a 120mm x 15mm fan but it wouldn't have had a good seal so I ultimately put the original 80mm x 15mm fan back on.

Here the PSU is installed, the fan is installed for the CPU cooler, the USB 2 hub is plugged into the motherboard and the 4 pin power to the motherboard is inserted.

Here you can see the 2 halves of the PSU wiring, once you have everything in you can connect them.

Here the 1080 wiring is managed, I'm using 2-sided tape to hold the wiring in place (top of the picture).

Here I've installed the PCI ribbon connector, and tidied up the USB2 wires.

Here you can see how I have managed the extra wires from the PSU; I could have unsoldered them but I left them for future possible use.

Here's a picture from the "bottom".

I'll post more pictures once I figure out what I'm doing with the case (considering powder coating it).

Last edited:

Reglar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 16, 2017
Right now with the case off the CPU caps at 64. I expect it will go up at least 5 degrees once I get the case on.

Reactions: AleksandarK

Reglar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 16, 2017
Case on CPU temps went up to 69. So not bad.

GPU peaked at 84C pretty quick. I increased the power/fan throttles to 110% which helped a bit with keeping the clocks stable during benchmarking.

I took the case in for powdercoating, should be available next week.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Hey Reglar, thank you for being awesome and posting all this! I wish I got to see this before I did mine, might have saved me some time. ;)

In case people beat me to uploading my video on the subject:

I found it much easier to simply uscrew the inner chassis frame and separate it into its two halves. Then I bolted the 1080ti to the back half, and put the front halve on. this way I wasn't fighting the stupid end connector.

Oh, while I am here. Did your Zebrawood bezel fit? I think the 1080ti is actually a bit longer than the normal 1080 mini. My Acrylic 3D bezel did NOT work for me, and I had to design a new one.

Reglar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 16, 2017
Thanks Josh for the info, I agree it will simplify things.

I did test the Zebrawood and clearance was not an issue. I didn't try the acrylic one though, so thank's for the heads up, I'll check it out.

Reglar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 16, 2017
Oh and for the curious, I did take the case (and screws) into a local powder coating shop, I should have everything back. I went with Lollipop Berry, and a clear coat.

Here's a picture I pulled off google to show the color. It's a "purple meets pink" kind of color.

Reglar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 16, 2017
Me too, need the case back though before I invest any serious time into it, I know temps will be worse with the case on and I'd like to stay under 71 on the CPU if possible.

Trash Compacter
Jul 23, 2017
what sleeving are those? looks very similar to silverstone cp11 sata cables. does it make the cable a little more flexible?

lyang238

Chassis Packer
Aug 14, 2017
Hey Reglar, thank you for being awesome and posting all this! I wish I got to see this before I did mine, might have saved me some time. ;)

In case people beat me to uploading my video on the subject:

I found it much easier to simply uscrew the inner chassis frame and separate it into its two halves. Then I bolted the 1080ti to the back half, and put the front halve on. this way I wasn't fighting the stupid end connector.

Oh, while I am here. Did your Zebrawood bezel fit? I think the 1080ti is actually a bit longer than the normal 1080 mini. My Acrylic 3D bezel did NOT work for me, and I had to design a new one.
I actually just purchased your Acrylic 3D bezel this week with the wrapped case with the intention of it fitting a GTX 1080 TI Mini. Was that before or after the redesign?

Reactions: quetzacoatlx

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I actually just purchased your Acrylic 3D bezel this week with the wrapped case with the intention of it fitting a GTX 1080 TI Mini. Was that before or after the redesign?

The 3D Bezel on my website supports the 1080 Mini. It was not designed for the 1080ti Mini.

Keep in mind this is a very difficult install with absurd requirements for power going into a case designed for a shorter card that uses half the power, and I haven't released a video on how I did mine.

That being said, it might fit. It also might not. Mine needed about 1.5mm more room. I'm happy to accept a return on it or make you a shim if yours doesn't fit.

Good luck!

Reglar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 16, 2017
what sleeving are those? looks very similar to silverstone cp11 sata cables. does it make the cable a little more flexible?

It's not sleeving, it's the actual wire color from what I can tell. Guryhwa uses a special type of wire in his PSU's, he said what it was in the main S4 mini thread but I can't find the post right now. The wire is very flexible but also stiff (if that makes any sense); basically you need the same sort of force you would any normal PSU wire to your graphics card or accessories.

lyang238

Chassis Packer
Aug 14, 2017
The 3D Bezel on my website supports the 1080 Mini. It was not designed for the 1080ti Mini.

Keep in mind this is a very difficult install with absurd requirements for power going into a case designed for a shorter card that uses half the power, and I haven't released a video on how I did mine.

That being said, it might fit. It also might not. Mine needed about 1.5mm more room. I'm happy to accept a return on it or make you a shim if yours doesn't fit.

Good luck!
Thanks for the info Josh. I'll at least try it first and if it doesn't work we can go from there!

Reactions: Soul_Est

Trash Compacter
Jul 23, 2017
It's not sleeving, it's the actual wire color from what I can tell. Guryhwa uses a special type of wire in his PSU's, he said what it was in the main S4 mini thread but I can't find the post right now. The wire is very flexible but also stiff (if that makes any sense); basically you need the same sort of force you would any normal PSU wire to your graphics card or accessories.

no difference than normal sfx psu cables then?

Siba

Chassis Packer
May 19, 2017
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/nfc-systems-s4-mini.96/page-178#post-58777