S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Broxin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 16, 2017
My Noctua NF-A12x15 seems to be just slightly too big to sit behind my graphics card. I could fit it in there if I wanted to but it would push the graphics card and also bulge the side of the case a bit. Has anyone run into this issue as well?
I tried a lot of fans behind, in the middle and over the cpu/gpu and they all add to the temperature, no ,matter if they blow or suck the air...
So putting NO Fan over the GPU is the best option. I will demonstrate it later in the 1070 S4 thread.

Hello, @Tanax
@DocH and @W1NN1NG
I have an interesting idea for the power jack that I plan on implementing for the next run.
it woud be great if you consider taking 2 mm off to fit the flipped HDPLEX powerconnector:

Reactions: Biowarejak

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
I realize that. Regarding the plenty of cards, we should really do a list of all cards that fit and if they require any modding (regardless what type of modding).

Of course he could if he wanted to. To say it's an issue on HDPLEX is a bit weird IMO. Is a power connector supposed to be located that close to the GPU in regular cases? Of course not. It's because of the size limitation of the case that the connector needs to be located that close. If the case were slightly bigger, the connector would be located farther from from the GPU and everything would fit without modding.

With that said, I totally understand the purpose of this case. My point was that if 70% of the high end cards (1070- & 1080 mini) require modding and it could be avoided by increasing the case size with 5mm (0.20"~) it would seem like a small price in size to pay for substantially better GPU card support out of the box.

Thank you for the detailed reply, Josh! I hear you. S4 MAXI doesn't sound very good, hehe. When will you be able to show more information about that power jack idea? :) Will that be announced in conjunction with the opening of pre-orders of that run? Or before? Thanks!
Only card that requires modding the power connector is the gigabyte 1070 and the 1080 that is soon to be out that i know of. The 1080 fits just fine and no power connector modification required. I just want to make this very clear for any readers so we don't spread miss information. The problem with the zotac cards are they are to long. The mod for gigabyte cards is because it is a weird size due to it width.

As josh said if you keep modifying the case there will always be card in the future to continue the changing and it is no longer the case it was. The product losses it soul sort of speak. I am quite sure this problem will eventually resolve itself as we approach HBM memory. Nvidia will be switching in the next few years which will allow much smaller cards.

If your too afraid of doing the mod or don't want to, contact josh and he does complete builds and can build what you want i am pretty sure. This has only been an issue recently since cards are approaching the low voltage that you can do these ITX builds and dc-dc psu like the hdplex. Hdplex only started making the 300-400 a year ago that can handle some of this hardware.

But let me pose this question. Would you go to lets say contact corsair and tell them they need to adjust their 570x cause you can't fit your 360 radiator on top? no you wouldn't you would purchase it in mind with what products fit into the case. Josh has all the dimensions listed and even files you can play with to be sure. If you want a bigger card get a bigger case like the NCase or Dan A4

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Well this is unexpected... I may actually be in the market for a S4 Mini after making calculations for measurements including the 3D bezel. For a long time I thought my desired parts wouldn't all fit and I'd have to craft a custom case but seems like my idea is possible with the S4 Mini. Problem is, current batch is sold out :confused: Looks like I'm gonna hit the used market for one.

Haulien

Trash Compacter
Sep 28, 2016
So I delidded my i7-7700K! The pop was scary but not as loud as expected! First time I tried to boot I had a heart attack as nothing showed up.... luckily it was just me not plugging the HDMI cable in fully! Suffice it to say, I had never been more happy to see the ROG boot logo, or my login screen!

Some pictures from the de-lid!

Top is off!
Such a dirty boy!

---------------------

So shiny...
Tried to clean up the black goop as much as I could.... this should be fine :3

.. will probably attempt it again with some solvents again one day

... I may or may not have cut up a card for a pointier edge for cleaning the IHS before realizing that's what the oversized toothpick included with the de-lid tool was for....

---------------------

Taped off and ready to go!

---------------------

This, kids, is why you always use protection!

---------------------

Conductanaut all spread evenly, and the tape is off!

---------------------

Top is back on, and the small dabs of glue is left to set!

Pre-delid using the prime95 stress test (100% utilization) computer crashed about 4 minutes in.
After delidding, temps were still hot, averaging around 97C for the hottest core... only occasionally peaking to 100C, but the system was solid for a full hour at 100% utilization before I had to pack it up for the night. Suffice it to say, was pretty impressed it didn't crash, so definitely an improvement! I was also extremely happy my computer didn't catch on fire!

I'm going to double check my TIM application after work... this was my first time using Kryonaut between the IHS and heatsink. If all seems fine there then I'm going to remove the VRM heatsinks, and possibly undervolt a little bit. Temps are still too hot for my liking.... not comfortable with anything over 90C...

SkudShark

Average Stuffer
Apr 2, 2017
Pre-delid using the prime95 stress test (100% utilization) computer crashed about 4 minutes in.
After delidding, temps were still hot, averaging around 97C for the hottest core... only occasionally peaking to 100C, but the system was solid for a full hour at 100% utilization before I had to pack it up for the night. Suffice it to say, was pretty impressed it didn't crash, so definitely an improvement! I was also extremely happy my computer didn't catch on fire!

What cooler are you using? Those temps seem really high after a de-lid. Even with a NHL9i you should be hovering at 85 or less on Prime95.
Good luck and keep us updated :)

Haulien

Trash Compacter
Sep 28, 2016
What cooler are you using? Those temps seem really high after a de-lid. Even with a NHL9i you should be hovering at 85 or less on Prime95.
Good luck and keep us updated :)

The NHL9i with it's stock fan. I thought it odd too... My guess is either not enough liquid metal applied between IHS and die... or too much/not enough thermal paste between the IHS and L9i... As mentioned this is my first time using Kryonaut, and it seemed quite a bit thicker than the NT-H1 I was using prior to de-lidding. Will find out later I guess.

Reactions: CubanLegend

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
The NHL9i with it's stock fan. I thought it odd too... My guess is either not enough liquid metal applied between IHS and die... or too much/not enough thermal paste between the IHS and L9i... As mentioned this is my first time using Kryonaut, and it seemed quite a bit thicker than the NT-H1 I was using prior to de-lidding. Will find out later I guess.

Delidding had been a hit and miss for me too. I've not developed an opinion on it yet. The last delid I did my temps were actually slightly worse, and I couldn't get it back up to where it was after several applications.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Delidding had been a hit and miss for me too. I've not developed an opinion on it yet. The last delid I did my temps were actually slightly worse, and I couldn't get it back up to where it was after several applications.
guys, ensure youre using the right version of Prime95 to test CPU temps. :) I have it listed in my build log somewhere, which version I used. I think I used v26.6... yep I used the following for all my tests:
  • Prime95 26.6 (custom, run FFTs in place, & max FFT size of 8kb)
note that Prime95 versions after 26.6 unnecessarily stress the CPU's AVX instructions, causing abnormally high temps you'll never see in real-world scenarios.

Haulien

Trash Compacter
Sep 28, 2016
guys, ensure youre using the right version of Prime95 to test CPU temps. :) I have it listed in my build log somewhere, which version I used. I think I used v26.6... yep I used the following for all my tests:
  • Prime95 26.6 (custom, run FFTs in place, & max FFT size of 8kb)
note that Prime95 versions after 26.6 unnecessarily stress the CPU's AVX instructions, causing abnormally high temps you'll never see in real-world scenarios.

Hmm interesting. Using 26.6 and those settings I'm seeing temps hovering around 85 after about a half hour.... peaking every so often to 87-89.

---

Utilities such as Prime95 v28.9, AIDA64 FPU test, Intel Burn Test (not an Intel utility) and LinPack can push TDP above 120% when using Auto or Adaptive Vcore, which will cause unrealistically high temperatures.

Saw this on Tom's Hardware.... I thought the entire point of a stress test is to stress as much as possible for extreme edge case scenarios? So newer versions of Pime95 would be more suited to that, no?

Broxin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 16, 2017
How do you guys measure CPU Temps ?
i use CoreTemp, but the AI Suite that was bundled with the Asus Strix Z270i allways shows temps 10-12°C lower than CPUTemp.
Which one is right ?
CoreTemp: 80°C
AISuite: 70°C

+

after thorough testing a lot of cpu coolers and fans, the best combo for my i6700k is the Noctua NF-A9x14 fan + CoolTek LP53 cooler

i also tried the Noctua NH-L9i fan that is way faster and louder on top of the LP53 , and indeed it cools better by 5°C, but its much more noisy so i decided for the NF-A9x14

Max temps = 80°C

Last edited:

Haulien

Trash Compacter
Sep 28, 2016
How do you guys measure CPU Temps ?

I use HWMonitor.... but there's tonnes, depending on what information you want access to.

The most trusted seem to be (in order from least to most features):
  • RealTemp
  • CoreTemp
  • Open Hardware Monitor
  • HWMonitor
  • AIDA64
  • HWiNFO
NXXT's CAM software is looking interesting too... especially since the 3.0 release last year.

Brandon86

Trash Compacter
Feb 15, 2017
Just finished my brickless build in the S4 mini. This case is even easier to build in than my ncase was! I see the power connector discussion is running rampant again so I thought I'd share what I did:

I was adament about having a grounded 3 prong connector and I couldn't see any solutions I liked. So a little cutting was required, but I think it turned out great in the end. The connector can work up to 7amps 115V according to specs, so it should be fine.
Build specs:
Ryzen 1700 (NHL9i w/ AM4 mount kit)
Asrock Ab350 mobo
EVGA 1050Ti SC
16gb G.skill Aegon 2400(OC'd to 3066)
256gb Samsung 960 Pro m.2 NVME
HDPLEX 160w AC-DC
HDPLEX 160w DC-ATX

It should be pointed out that I'm exceeding the capability of the HDPLEX in this build. My build should pull about 205w according to PCPartPicker, but it hasn't given me any issues yet. I also secured the converter to the case with thermal tape and that portion of the case does get warm.

Big shout out to the Orangulan build! I basically stole all your setup, with a few mild upgrades and changes to suit my needs.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Well, looks like my dream of building in a S4 Mini will be put on hold again. I've been willing to pay the regular price for it, or a re-sell up to a certain price markup, but most used cases are selling up to 200% of their original price and that's way too much for me. I'll have to wait until the next batch sometime in 2018 but in the meantime I have something else planned... something like what was discussed in the thread about a proposed 3D printed Mini from another user, think of it as a tribute...

Reactions: royalba94

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
Well, looks like my dream of building in a S4 Mini will be put on hold again. I've been willing to pay the regular price for it, or a re-sell up to a certain price markup, but most used cases are selling up to 200% of their original price and that's way too much for me. I'll have to wait until the next batch sometime in 2018 but in the meantime I have something else planned... something like what was discussed in the thread about a proposed 3D printed Mini from another user, think of it as a tribute...

Been thinking about this myself :)

Looking forward to seeing how it goes for ya!

Reactions: CC Ricers