S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Anyone know the distance between the front of the case and the gigabyte gtx 1070 mini? Seems there is a gap but I dunno how big that gap is.

Or the bottom of the case and the galax 1070 mini? Thinking a hdplex internal power supply might work but it also might be to big

I don't know the exact distance, but this is not possible for several reasons.

1. The HDPLEX 160 AC-DC cannot power the GTX1070
2. The HDPLEX 160 AC-DC cannot power the GTX1060 unless it is cooled (it would be too hot in the case with the GPU exhaust)
3. The HDPLEX 160 AC-DC will not fit with the GTX1060 mini from EVGA or the Gigabyte 1070 mini
4. The HDPLEX 300 AC-DC is enormous (compared to 160) and will not fit in the S4 MINI unless turned sideways...and even then...

Check out my picture of a MINI with a 1070 mini, and then below kmpkt's brickless 1050ti build. Notice the difference in length of the cards by the PCIE key retainer pcb:

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017

2. The HDPLEX 160 AC-DC cannot power the GTX1060 unless it is cooled (it would be too hot in the case with the GPU exhaust)
3. The HDPLEX 160 AC-DC will not fit with the GTX1060 mini from EVGA or the Gigabyte 1070 mini
4. The HDPLEX 300 AC-DC is enormous (compared to 160) and will not fit in the S4 MINI unless turned sideways...and even then...

Check out my picture of a MINI with a 1070 mini, and then below kmpkt's brickless 1050ti build. Notice the difference in length of the cards by the PCIE key retainer pcb:

Yeah doesn't look like it would work with the gigabyte. Thank you for the images they are super helpful. I was thinking if I made a custom plate for the galax 1070 and moving it up higher in the case or closer to the gpu retainer. The galax is a thinner card width wise but I am trying to track down images of what it looks like in the case. If I can get a couple additional mm from moving it higher the hdplex Ac-D.C. 300 might be able to slip in at the bottom of the case.

Last edited:

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Yeah doesn't look like it would work with the gigabyte. Thank you for the images they are super helpful. I was thinking if I made a custom plate for the galax 1070 and moving it up higher in the case or closure to the gpu retainer. The galax is a thinner card width wise but I am trying to track down images of what it looks like in the case. If I can get a couple additional mm from moving it higher the hdplex Ac-D.C. 300 might be able to slip in at the bottom of the case.

I have a picture for you! As a side note--remember to check the first post of this thread for the "index". If you know of any posts I should add to it, please PM me!

Any chance we could ever see a return of the s3?

We'll see.

It is a expert only case, and takes a ton of work for me to help customers understand how to build in it. I like to accompany the customer from beginning to end in their builds and the S3 MINI requires soooo much information to build in it. Really the S4 MINI was made to make the concept more user friendly.

You have probably seen this video, but just in case...

S3 MINI layout is covered by US Patent 9710027, btw.

But thank you for your interest and feedback!

palace97

Trash Compacter
Sep 6, 2017
Haven't got a clue where is appropriate to post this but really worried about the parts i have inside my s4 mini as i believe either the HDplex 400 or the asus z270i motherbaord began to draw smoke as soon as i turned it on. I received my s4 mini today from josh, tested the parts prior to its arrival minus the NFC riser and power button which worked perfectly, may sound stupid i think it might of been to do with the power button but i have no clue as i'm no expert and i may have not even installed the power connect in the right slot which could have caused it so if anyone can confirm where it goes, that'll be very helpful. Just really worried as i can't afford to purchase any new parts as i've saved up a lot to afford everything.I've tried using a different 330w power brick but still doesn't work. The light on the motherboard turns orange when the power is connected but the RGB no longer shows plus the blue light still shows on the HDplex 400. would attach a photo but not sure how to, any help will be much appreciated!

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Haven't got a clue where is appropriate to post this but really worried about the parts i have inside my s4 mini as i believe either the HDplex 400 or the asus z270i motherbaord began to draw smoke as soon as i turned it on. I received my s4 mini today from josh, tested the parts prior to its arrival minus the NFC riser and power button which worked perfectly, may sound stupid i think it might of been to do with the power button but i have no clue as i'm no expert and i may have not even installed the power connect in the right slot which could have caused it so if anyone can confirm where it goes, that'll be very helpful. Just really worried as i can't afford to purchase any new parts as i've saved up a lot to afford everything.I've tried using a different 330w power brick but still doesn't work. The light on the motherboard turns orange when the power is connected but the RGB no longer shows plus the blue light still shows on the HDplex 400. would attach a photo but not sure how to, any help will be much appreciated!

Can you plug your system up to a standard ATX PSU?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com

If smoke came out of your system, do not try to turn it back on again before finding out where you got the voltage mixed up.

The only place you can do that is if your wires are wrong on your power supply, you plugged your riser in backwards, or you have a bad power brick that blew up.

Putting more voltage into the system after the protection fuses are gone might result in permanent damage.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
But, it's keyed on both the motherboard and the riser, right?

-edit-

Well it's a two part system but if the key stays on the proper side I don't see what the issue would be... maybe I'm just not understanding.

-edit two-

Ah, nah Josh's video is pretty explicit about plugging it in a certain way and it makes sense that the pins are different on either side. Got it.

palace97

Trash Compacter
Sep 6, 2017
Found the issue thanks to Josh, wasn't paying attention when inserting the riser key but just the riser itself and ended up inserting the riser correctly but the key wrong. Didn't realise this would result in frying my parts but hoping it's just the case of replacing the motherboard and not the GPU and riser.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017

Josh, do you think it's possible to fit sapphire pulse rx550 - 158(L)X 112(W)X 28(H)
and hdplex ac dc 160W - 40-43mm high at the front of the case?

looking at the numbers with s4 interior at 203mm they should have a couple milimeters of clearance, IF studs are removed.

it should fit but would installation tht tight be impossible?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Josh, do you think it's possible to fit sapphire pulse rx550 - 158(L)X 112(W)X 28(H)
and hdplex ac dc 160W - 40-43mm high at the front of the case?

looking at the numbers with s4 interior at 203mm they should have a couple milimeters of clearance, IF studs are removed.

it should fit but would installation tht tight be impossible?

It looks possible, but really tight. I have not been sent a 550 pulse to try it.

Reactions: Choidebu

monsterrider

Case Bender
Apr 13, 2017
I recently finished my S4, but I'm having a slight issue. I have to kill power to the power supply or system to get it to power on. So, either unplug the brick from the wall or the brick from the computer. Once I do this I can power the system on and everything works perfectly. Any ideas?

Using the HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX power supply with the NFC recommended Dell 330w brick.

Asrock Fatal1ty z270 itx
7700k scalped
Thermolab lp53 with Noctua fan
Zotac 1070 mini
WD black 512gb m2

Illoominatty

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 14, 2017
Just received my S4 mini today!

And more excitingly, I've managed to fit a Zotac 1070 Mini (idea courtesy of @1461748123) while maintaining the HDPlex PSU connector in its stock position. Primarily this was accomplished by placing one of the screw mounts of the connector over part of the GPU (its barely short enough). I then routed the power cable on the front side of the card before passing it back to the front.

Overall, it seems to work though I've yet to verify the temperatures. Not sure if I would recommend it as I'm sure I bent a couple heatsinks in the process.

Whered you get your power button/vandal switch

Reactions: Biowarejak