S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Creep

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 2, 2017
Anyone find alternatives to the outside casing screws? I'm particularly looking for flat black or deep black ones to replace the silver.

Broxin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 16, 2017
Just finished my brickless build in the S4 mini. This case is even easier to build in than my ncase was! I see the power connector discussion is running rampant again so I thought I'd share what I did:

I was adament about having a grounded 3 prong connector and I couldn't see any solutions I liked. So a little cutting was required, but I think it turned out great in the end. The connector can work up to 7amps 115V according to specs, so it should be fine.
Build specs:
Ryzen 1700 (NHL9i w/ AM4 mount kit)
Asrock Ab350 mobo
EVGA 1050Ti SC
16gb G.skill Aegon 2400(OC'd to 3066)
256gb Samsung 960 Pro m.2 NVME
HDPLEX 160w AC-DC
HDPLEX 160w DC-ATX

It should be pointed out that I'm exceeding the capability of the HDPLEX in this build. My build should pull about 205w according to PCPartPicker, but it hasn't given me any issues yet. I also secured the converter to the case with thermal tape and that portion of the case does get warm.

Big shout out to the Orangulan build! I basically stole all your setup, with a few mild upgrades and changes to suit my needs.
Could xou post some more pictures of the interiour? Where is ze internal psu?

quetzacoatlx

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2017
Anyone knows that is there any LGA 2066 cooler that can fit in the S4 mini?
I'm planning on a X299 itx build but am worrying about the cooling

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Would love to see that happen, but yeah thermals are a worry. Keep us posted, its worth experimenting for! :)

Reactions: royalba94

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
tdp of the 6 core 7800x, 8 core 7820x, and 10 core 7900x is 140watts

currently there are no coolers that can handle this wattage for heat dissipation that fits in the S4 mini. Best you got is the noctua which is rated 91-95w maybe they aren't even specific on their site about this. There is the thermolabs adjustment to the LP53 but i still believe this will fall well short. You are not only going to have a problem finding a cooler that fits but almost certainly will not find a cooler that size that will handle this load out. Especially since these chips run hot. You could go lower for the 4-Core I5 and I7 on the x299 but i don't see any reason to.

Currently coffee lake will release a 6-core I7 that will be able to work in the S4 mini so if intel work station is what you are gunner for it is best to wait. Otherwise go with ryzen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I'm quite curious to see if the skylake-x thermals can be tamed by undervolting. However, it does make more sense to go with the 8700k or something.

Reactions: AleksandarK

quetzacoatlx

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2017
I'm quite curious to see if the skylake-x thermals can be tamed by undervolting. However, it does make more sense to go with the 8700k or something.
There's no process improvement from skylake to coffeelake. Hence I am not expecting any better thermal performance from 7800 to 8700, if running on the same speed.

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
There's no process improvement from skylake to coffeelake. Hence I am not expecting any better thermal performance from 7800 to 8700, if running on the same speed.
Yeah except that there's a definite TDP difference, Coffee lake is expected to be more power efficient and consequently have better thermals. Time will tell, however. Intel has been known to broadly assign TDP margins.

Reactions: AleksandarK

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Anyone know the distance between the front of the case and the gigabyte gtx 1070 mini? Seems there is a gap but I dunno how big that gap is.

Or the bottom of the case and the galax 1070 mini? Thinking a hdplex internal power supply might work but it also might be to big