S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Tanax

Average Stuffer
Jul 7, 2016
You might want to take a look at this video. It shows Josh making a build with the Gigabyte mini 1070 which as the same dimensions as the mini 1080. You can do either one of two mods, both require a bit of cutting. One of those ways is to cut a bigger hole into the back of the case (but it's not much bigger than the normal vents) so you can relocate the power connector.

Damnit, that sucks.
@Josh | NFC Have you considered increasing the case size by like 5mm or something? It would increase the amount of graphic cards the case supports out of the box. It seems crazy buying a case this expensive, having to cut it open immediately, especially when the space required is very marginally larger than the case supports. Also especially since most graphic card manufacturers seem to be going this route with oversized boards...

Haulien

Trash Compacter
Sep 28, 2016

alerteman

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 23, 2017

this is how i use my S4 mini pc while watching TV..

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Damnit, that sucks.
@Josh | NFC Have you considered increasing the case size by like 5mm or something? It would increase the amount of graphic cards the case supports out of the box. It seems crazy buying a case this expensive, having to cut it open immediately, especially when the space required is very marginally larger than the case supports. Also especially since most graphic card manufacturers seem to be going this route with oversized boards...
Your not cutting the case just part of the power connector. There are plenty of cards that already fit into the case. The only card that requires the mod is the gigabyte because it is wider than normal. Otherwise you purchase a front bezel to fit the zotac cards

Edit: once you get to these size cases you have to plan around the case. The whole point of the S4 mini is to make a case as small as possible.

Last edited:

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
Damnit, that sucks.
Like doch said. You are NOT cutting the case at all. This is not something Josh can "fix" as it's an issue on hdplex's side and I doubt they will change either since the mod you have to do to their connector is a very small quick mod.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Damnit, that sucks.

Hello, @Tanax

@DocH and @W1NN1NG gave great answers and I really appreciate them helping me out. Like, alot. THANK YOU everyone in this thread that helps people. I have the best customer base ever and it is absolutely inspiring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love you guys.

To directly answer your question, yes. I spend hours each day trying out new ideas for increasing compatibility for future cases. I want to serve my customers to the best of my ability.

This might sound weird, but one of the services I imagine myself providing is a "lasso" of sorts. There are so many long-running products (software and hardware) that I am a fan of, that have completely lost their vision or soul because of sensible improvements over the years. I take this very seriously and I want the soul of the S4 MINI to remain the same. If you go through the thread you can see hundreds of VERY good ideas and sensible requests to size to accommodate different parts. The problem is choosing which ones, if any, as enabling all of them would make the S4 MINI...the S4 MAXI, which doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

However one thing that is a big problem is the power connector. Keep in mind I developed the S4 MINI over many years, and for a decade before that GPUs always were the same width (well, there were a couple of minor exception like the ASUS Ares). Now the fad is to make GPUs super wide because in traditional cases you need them to be at least as wide as an ATX power supply, so there was plenty of room. Secondly, as others have pointed out, the design of the power connector really makes a difference. You could, for instance, use a round style connector that mounts with a nut, and it would completely be compatible. Most users decide that modding the power jack is not what they want to do when using non-supported graphics cards.

I think that brings me to my last point. As @Haulien pointed out there are other options from time to time that work perfect in the MINI without compromising the model type. I think this is part of the fun of building in ultra SFF--you have to work within a certain set of limits. The limit of the S4 MINI is cooler height, GPU length (which is a generous 8" stock) and GPU width, which so FAR hasn't been a problem if you are willing to change jack types, mod your HDPLEX jack, or relocate it.

Options!

TL;DR

I have an interesting idea for the power jack that I plan on implementing for the next run.

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
No problem @Josh | NFC
I don't even own one but I spend so much time reading these forums I know most of the compatibility for all the chassis here for the most part lol if I could have one of everything I would but that leads to how far money goes (aka my wife has me on a tight budget leash) hahaha. I try to be as much help to everyone I can.

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Hello, @Tanax

@DocH and @W1NN1NG gave great answers and I really appreciate them helping me out. Like, alot. THANK YOU everyone in this thread that helps people. I have the best customer base ever and it is absolutely inspiring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love you guys.

To directly answer your question, yes. I spend hours each day trying out new ideas for increasing compatibility for future cases. I want to serve my customers to the best of my ability.

This might sound weird, but one of the services I imagine myself providing is a "lasso" of sorts. There are so many long-running products (software and hardware) that I am a fan of, that have completely lost their vision or soul because of sensible improvements over the years. I take this very seriously and I want the soul of the S4 MINI to remain the same. If you go through the thread you can see hundreds of VERY good ideas and sensible requests to size to accommodate different parts. The problem is choosing which ones, if any, as enabling all of them would make the S4 MINI...the S4 MAXI, which doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

However one thing that is a big problem is the power connector. Keep in mind I developed the S4 MINI over many years, and for a decade before that GPUs always were the same width (well, there were a couple of minor exception like the ASUS Ares). Now the fad is to make GPUs super wide because in traditional cases you need them to be at least as wide as an ATX power supply, so there was plenty of room. Secondly, as others have pointed out, the design of the power connector really makes a difference. You could, for instance, use a round style connector that mounts with a nut, and it would completely be compatible. Most users decide that modding the power jack is not what they want to do when using non-supported graphics cards.

I think that brings me to my last point. As @Haulien pointed out there are other options from time to time that work perfect in the MINI without compromising the model type. I think this is part of the fun of building in ultra SFF--you have to work within a certain set of limits. The limit of the S4 MINI is cooler height, GPU length (which is a generous 8" stock) and GPU width, which so FAR hasn't been a problem if you are willing to change jack types, mod your HDPLEX jack, or relocate it.

Options!

TL;DR

I have an interesting idea for the power jack that I plan on implementing for the next run.
hey josh not sure if you have it somewhere but maybe have a gpu list that works with no mods, ones that work with mods, and ones that don't work at all. You may already have this on the NFC site. Could easily be made with a excel sheet.

Reactions: Biowarejak

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
hey josh not sure if you have it somewhere but maybe have a gpu list that works with no mods, ones that work with mods, and ones that don't work at all. You may already have this on the NFC site. Could easily be made with a excel sheet.
That might be something the community could help with. Since lots of different people try out lots of different hardware co figurations because I know Josh doesn't the time to try out every single product possible so maybe get some feedback from the community I could probably help with that I like doing spreadsheets >.> Don't call me a nerd please

NoSk0pz

Average Stuffer
Apr 3, 2017
any issues with using a connector that's rated 5A with the hdplex 160w internal unit? trying to do a brickless build without any modification to the case. from what i gather, @Kmpkt used a c7/8 inlet that was rated for 2.5A (correct me if i'm wrong).

i am currently thinking of using a gx12-4 connector like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X77GNAE/?tag=theminutiae-20

essentially i would replace the hdplex's c14 inlet with a male gx12. i would then use a male nema 5-15 to female gx12 from the wall to the pc. would i risk burning everything to the ground with this setup?

Dezz

Chassis Packer
Jun 13, 2017
My Noctua NF-A12x15 seems to be just slightly too big to sit behind my graphics card. I could fit it in there if I wanted to but it would push the graphics card and also bulge the side of the case a bit. Has anyone run into this issue as well?

palace97

Trash Compacter
Sep 6, 2017
Hi, this is a bit off topic but i'm from the United Kingdom and wondered where the best place is to purchase the dell da330pm111 330w power brick, if there is another model available compatible for the example configuration build on Josh's website, that'll be much appreciated too but i preferable want to purchase it from a UK supplier as i'm ready to start my build! Links appreciated, thanks

Broxin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 16, 2017
Hi, this is a bit off topic but i'm from the United Kingdom and wondered where the best place is to purchase the dell da330pm111 330w power brick, if there is another model available compatible for the example configuration build on Josh's website, that'll be much appreciated too but i preferable want to purchase it from a UK supplier as i'm ready to start my build! Links appreciated, thanks
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00BRF6PPG/

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Yes it can. In my opinion the best way to do this would be get get 4-6 squares of 3M 8805 thermally conductive adhesive tape to hold the heatsink to the chassis and fill the spaces in between with small amounts of thermal paste. Keep mind that if it becomes too thick, thermal paste will actually act as an insulator.

Broxin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 16, 2017
Honestly, spend the bit extra and get from Dell directly. Me and some others bought ours in the $80 range from various sources and we either got fakes or refurbs that broke pretty quick or reset under load.

I've seen them on Dell's site for $120 in the past.
i bought from this "silicone connect ltd" company, shipped to germany and can not say that this brick is a fake. looks 100% legit and brand new, runs cool with no noise and no problems. tested up to 300W

Tanax

Average Stuffer
Jul 7, 2016
Your not cutting the case just part of the power connector. There are plenty of cards that already fit into the case. The only card that requires the mod is the gigabyte because it is wider than normal. Otherwise you purchase a front bezel to fit the zotac cards

Edit: once you get to these size cases you have to plan around the case. The whole point of the S4 mini is to make a case as small as possible.

That might be something the community could help with. Since lots of different people try out lots of different hardware co figurations because I know Josh doesn't the time to try out every single product possible so maybe get some feedback from the community I could probably help with that I like doing spreadsheets >.> Don't call me a nerd please

I realize that. Regarding the plenty of cards, we should really do a list of all cards that fit and if they require any modding (regardless what type of modding).

Like doch said. You are NOT cutting the case at all. This is not something Josh can "fix" as it's an issue on hdplex's side and I doubt they will change either since the mod you have to do to their connector is a very small quick mod.

Of course he could if he wanted to. To say it's an issue on HDPLEX is a bit weird IMO. Is a power connector supposed to be located that close to the GPU in regular cases? Of course not. It's because of the size limitation of the case that the connector needs to be located that close. If the case were slightly bigger, the connector would be located farther from from the GPU and everything would fit without modding.

With that said, I totally understand the purpose of this case. My point was that if 70% of the high end cards (1070- & 1080 mini) require modding and it could be avoided by increasing the case size with 5mm (0.20"~) it would seem like a small price in size to pay for substantially better GPU card support out of the box.

Hello, @Tanax

Options!

TL;DR

Thank you for the detailed reply, Josh! I hear you. S4 MAXI doesn't sound very good, hehe. When will you be able to show more information about that power jack idea? :) Will that be announced in conjunction with the opening of pre-orders of that run? Or before? Thanks!