S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
It'd be a cool color, sadly all the cases on here some of em offer white but not matte
Yeah, I wish it was more common. I'm thinking about getting some kind of RAL color sample set to see how the typical powder coat options compare for an aftermarket solution :)

Reactions: W1NN1NG

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Am I crazy. I thought if you bought the standard option you can powder coat it whatever you want? Just go to a Local shop and get it done

Reactions: W1NN1NG

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I mean, afaik anodized aluminum should take the powder coating just fine :) the only thing issue I can think of is if the panels are pre-coated, then it might need to be stripped in order to maintain tolerances.

Reactions: ECHO

Tanax

Average Stuffer
Jul 7, 2016
Yes the 1080 fits if you buy the 3d bezel from Josh. It isn't a mod just a replacement front to give the extra clearance. Also the Galax 1070 fits with no modification. The msi gtx 1070 aero itx might also fit without modification but I am not sure on this. I also believe the sff 1060 fits with no issues as well. Can't speak to them though as I haven't used them.

If you already have the gigabyte 1070 just do the power connector mod it is extremely easy. The only time.i have seen cases cut was for the old gunique power supplies I guess this has been fix and no longer requires it.

Very nice! And this is without doing anything to the HDPLEX power connector also?

For the record, what do you guys think about the new GigaByte 1080 mini? It looks rather oversized so it probably needs power connector modding?

quetzacoatlx

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2017
Anyone knows if the HDplex 300w AC-DC can be put into the S4 mini with a itx sized graphic card?
The dimension of the AC-DC is 151.4(D) x 62 (W) x 41 (H) mm

Big McCann

Efficiency Noob
Jun 21, 2017
When building my set up with ny zotac 1080 mini, the bottom pcie tabs did not what so ever fit into the retainer hoops. Anyone else or am i just stupid lol

Other than that my system runs great with the 1080 mini and gury's archdaemon limited edition Pico and modified dell power brick

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Anyone knows if the HDplex 300w AC-DC can be put into the S4 mini with a itx sized graphic card?
The dimension of the AC-DC is 151.4(D) x 62 (W) x 41 (H) mm

I did it with the 160W which is substantially narrower. Unfortunately the 300W is too wide to fit unless you want to start chopping your case and have a sloppy side panel fitment.

quetzacoatlx

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2017
I did it with the 160W which is substantially narrower. Unfortunately the 300W is too wide to fit unless you want to start chopping your case and have a sloppy side panel fitment.
What if we remove the metal case of the 300w AC-DC?
According to the HDplex website, if the metal case is removed we may be able to get an extra few mms for each side.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I believe it'd be pretty tight but possibly doable. If you look at specification for the S4 mini, it is 57mm wide internally. The HDPlex 300W is 62mm wide which is only 1mm less than the external width of the S4. The outer finned chassis of the HDPlex looks to be about 9mm wide when accounting for both sides which means if you were able to successfully remove it, the overall width would be around 53mm.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
What if we remove the metal case of the 300w AC-DC?
According to the HDplex website, if the metal case is removed we may be able to get an extra few mms for each side.

The metal case is two heatsinks. The HDPLEX 300 already gets very hot, and I wouldn't recommend using it passively for anything over a 1060. With the heatsinks removed, you wouldn't have enough dissipation for anything worthy. Might as well use the 160.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
For the record, what do you guys think about the new GigaByte 1080 mini? It looks rather oversized so it probably needs power connector modding?

You might want to take a look at this video. It shows Josh making a build with the Gigabyte mini 1070 which as the same dimensions as the mini 1080. You can do either one of two mods, both require a bit of cutting. One of those ways is to cut a bigger hole into the back of the case (but it's not much bigger than the normal vents) so you can relocate the power connector.

Reactions: Biowarejak

quetzacoatlx

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2017
The metal case is two heatsinks. The HDPLEX 300 already gets very hot, and I wouldn't recommend using it passively for anything over a 1060. With the heatsinks removed, you wouldn't have enough dissipation for anything worthy. Might as well use the 160.
Can the S4 case be used as a heatsink via some thermal pastes?

Reactions: Biowarejak