S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
Hey! I'm starting to finalize my parts list for my S4 Mini build, and I think it's time for me to order my video card.

I shuffled around some hardware and promised someone the case I had my server with gaming VMs in... long story short, I ended up not being able to fit my GTX 980 in the case I migrated my hardware to which was a stupid mistake on my part and I didn't want to put my friend out over it. So, I've been getting by gaming on a GTX 750 Ti for a few weeks and while the card always impresses me, it's no 980.

Anyways, I'd like to order or at least figure out if there's a card I should be waiting for to eventually use in a S4 Mini. I understand the 1060 is, roughly, on par with the 980 in terms of performance and would probably be content with it. Of course I like the idea of upgrading, though. Currently I have 3 monitors in my office at home, they all support 1080p @ 144Hz, and they can actually be run out-of-spec in 1440p or 2160p through Nvidia's drivers with my 980. I'm considering DIY-ing some laptop monitors into portable LAN monitors, and it seems like I'm most likely going to have to utilize HDMI with those. 3x DisplayPort is preferable on the card, because I feel like it's the superior format, but I think I need at least 2x HDMI.

Anyways, here are my few questions:
  • Are there any AMD cards worth considering for an S4 Mini build? Has anyone actually gotten the R9 Nano stable on a power brick? I remember that being an issue.
  • Are there any cards above the 1060 that can run in the S4 Mini without needing to significantly mod the case? I'm a little bit handy and have more handy people I can ask for hands-on help, but I just don't think I'd be able to make stuff look pretty the first time around. I'd also have to buy or borrow tools.
  • The Gigabyte 1070 runs fairly hot in the case, yes? Has anyone done any troubleshooting on why that is? Would any amount of tuning allow the card to run above a 1060 in terms of performance, but still keep things safe and cool?
  • This is not related to GPUs, but where can I learn more about M.2 drives and are there any reliable sites that compare them? Most articles I have found just arbitrarily list a few drives they like for 'reasons' without any stats.
  • Are there any large capacity 2.5" HDDs that are actually reliable and nice pieces of hardware? Is there any reliable 2.5" storage drive that has ~2TB of storage that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?
well, as of right now you can buy the acrylic front panel from Josh's website, so if you buy that and the 1080mini+ mod the shroud you should be good to go :)

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Hey! I'm starting to finalize my parts list for my S4 Mini build, and I think it's time for me to order my video card.

I shuffled around some hardware and promised someone the case I had my server with gaming VMs in... long story short, I ended up not being able to fit my GTX 980 in the case I migrated my hardware to which was a stupid mistake on my part and I didn't want to put my friend out over it. So, I've been getting by gaming on a GTX 750 Ti for a few weeks and while the card always impresses me, it's no 980.

Anyways, I'd like to order or at least figure out if there's a card I should be waiting for to eventually use in a S4 Mini. I understand the 1060 is, roughly, on par with the 980 in terms of performance and would probably be content with it. Of course I like the idea of upgrading, though. Currently I have 3 monitors in my office at home, they all support 1080p @ 144Hz, and they can actually be run out-of-spec in 1440p or 2160p through Nvidia's drivers with my 980. I'm considering DIY-ing some laptop monitors into portable LAN monitors, and it seems like I'm most likely going to have to utilize HDMI with those. 3x DisplayPort is preferable on the card, because I feel like it's the superior format, but I think I need at least 2x HDMI.

Anyways, here are my few questions:
  • Are there any AMD cards worth considering for an S4 Mini build? Has anyone actually gotten the R9 Nano stable on a power brick? I remember that being an issue.
  • Are there any cards above the 1060 that can run in the S4 Mini without needing to significantly mod the case? I'm a little bit handy and have more handy people I can ask for hands-on help, but I just don't think I'd be able to make stuff look pretty the first time around. I'd also have to buy or borrow tools.
  • The Gigabyte 1070 runs fairly hot in the case, yes? Has anyone done any troubleshooting on why that is? Would any amount of tuning allow the card to run above a 1060 in terms of performance, but still keep things safe and cool?
  • This is not related to GPUs, but where can I learn more about M.2 drives and are there any reliable sites that compare them? Most articles I have found just arbitrarily list a few drives they like for 'reasons' without any stats.
  • Are there any large capacity 2.5" HDDs that are actually reliable and nice pieces of hardware? Is there any reliable 2.5" storage drive that has ~2TB of storage that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?
1. Not sure about AMD
2. the GALAX 1070 mini should be easily fitted inside the S4 mini, great for 1080p and 1440p gaming. also the Zotac 1070 mini?
3. Gigabyte 1070 probably runs hot because it's only got one fan, and it's a small one... the 1080mini runs cooler than it with a better heatsink and dual fans, so Gigabyte proabably skimped on the heatsink/fans or thermal paste/pads on the 1070mini.
4.Linus Tech Tips did a video on M.2, just know that your motherboard should support PCIE M.2 since its faster than SATA M.2. Also... if you're lloking fo rcompare them. What are you gonna use it/them for? Only a boot drive? They're a little too expensive to be used as a Steam Library for most of us... If just a boot drive for windows, I recommend the $100 Intel 600p NVME M.2 SSD 250GB, it's cheaper (and available) compared to the $130 Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, and the performance difference for bootup will be almost nonexistent (maybe 1 or 2 seconds slower), and file transfers/OS/program operation should be near identical to us as end users. You only really need a 960 EVO if you are doing serious video editing or file transfers, at which point you'd probably say "screw the 960 EVO" as you'd already have an Samsung 960 PRO M.2 in your list instead. lol Check this anandtech Final Words page of the Intel 600p review for how it stacks up against other M.2 SSD, and if it's for you.

5. BOY AM I GLAD YOU ASKED. I have 2 that I will be using in my S4 Mini, one is a 7mm thick 2TB Seagate Firecuda SSHD (hybrid HDD/SSD with an 8GB smart cache), tested here by Digital Foundry in a PS4 , and tested to be as fast an SSD after the first load. The other drive is a 15mm (wuite thick) 5TB Seagate Baracuda. the 2TB and 5TB can be found on my S4 mini's Pcpartpicker here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz and zovc

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
1. Not sure about AMD
2. the GALAX 1070 mini should be easily fitted inside the S4 mini, great for 1080p and 1440p gaming. also the Zotac 1070 mini?
3. Gigabyte 1070 probably runs hot because it's only got one fan, and it's a small one... the 1080mini runs cooler than it with a better heatsink and dual fans, so Gigabyte proabbly skimped on the heatsink/fans or thermal paste/pads.
4.Linus Tech Tips did a video on M.2, just know that your motherboard should support PCIE M.2 since its faster than SATA M.2
5. BOY AM I GLAD YOU ASKED. I have 2 that I will be using in my S4 Mini, one is a 7mm thick 2TB Seagate Firecuda SSHD (hybrid HDD/SSD with an 8GB smart cache), tested here by Digital Foundry in a PS4 , and tested to be as fast an SSD after the first load. The other drive is a 15mm (wuite thick) 5TB Seagate Baracuda. the 2TB and 5TB can be found on my S4 mini's Pcpartpicker here.

Thanks for the info, CubanLegend. Do you have any idea how someone in the US can buy one of the Galax 1070 Mini? I feel like I've looked for it a few times and not been able to find it.

Edit: The 1070 Mini is in stock on their web store and my wallet is scowling at me.

Regarding those HDDs, "Hybrid" drives kind of spook me a little. I worry I won't use the drive well/'consistently' enough and that I'll basically just be using a 5400RPM drive all the time. I suppose trying to jump up to 7200RPM or higher in 2.5" of space is asking to pay a pretty big premium, though, huh?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The R9 Nano is pretty much a no-go for the S4 Mini. The only build I've seen successfully utilize it was by @MarcParis but he did so by using an SFX power supply as his brick. While certainly functional, I'm not convinced it's a super LAN Party friendly option. The other option at the moment would be to get your hands on the new Eurocom 780W brick, but it's around 400 USD and you'll need to be able to do a bit of work yourself to get it to work with a G-Unique or HDPlex unit. The Dell 330 MIGHT handle it under lighter loads, but will likely break if you're pushing the limit of the card. The other thing to consider is how hard the spiking on the Nano will be on the DC-DC solution you choose, since I believe it has momentary spikes in excess of 300W which is pretty serious for a DC-DC solution designed to manage an aggregate 300W system load.

The one card that will run unmodified in the S4 mini and is above the 1060 would be the Galax/KFA2 1070 Mini. Beautiful card and if the craftsmanship is on par with their 970 which I happily owned then you're probably gonna get a great product.

As far as M.2 comparisons, most reviews compare to the 960 Pro. All I did was baseline that and work backwards to figure out what kind of performance to expect. What I've read from a number of sites is that unless you're doing something like heavy content creation, the difference between the 960 Pro and something significantly slower is negligible.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I'm also adding that r9 nano could cause high coil whine hdplex..:) even if i'm a supporter of amd, i must admit that nvidia gpu are more suitable for s4 mini...at least today..:)

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Thanks for the info, CubanLegend. Do you have any idea how someone in the US can buy one of the Galax 1070 Mini? I feel like I've looked for it a few times and not been able to find it.

Regarding those HDDs, "Hybrid" drives kind of spook me a little. I worry I won't use the drive well/'consistently' enough and that I'll basically just be using a 5400RPM drive all the time. I suppose trying to jump up to 7200RPM or higher in 2.5" of space is asking to pay a pretty big premium, though, huh?
No problem for the info bro, I'm glad to help anyone who neatly structures their questions and makes them easy to read and respond to. Check my reply above again, I edited it since your last post with more links and info. :)

About the GALAX 1070... they just launched it like 6 days ago so I dont know when or where they will show up on sale, Sorry. Best you can do is check Amazon, Newegg periodically. ALSO MSI just TEASED a short 1070 or 1080 mini.... we wont know it yet, so you'd have to wait for it a bit. https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/msi_tease_a_gtx_1070_1080_mini_gpu/1

So about the Hybrid SSD, TRUST Digital Foundry on their report. The 8GB cache in that Firecuda SSHD is amazing, if you plan to use that 2TB as a Steam Library, (like I am in my S4 mini), it will absolutely DESTROY a normal mechanical 5400 and 7200RPM drive in game load times after the first load. I PROMISE YOU. I did a test and IU moved my installs of Watch_dogs 1 & 2, and Batman Arkham Knight from that SSHD onto my Intel 600P M.2 SSD... and the difference in load times after the first load was almost nothing, maybe 2-5 seconds longer on the SSHD, it would take 3-4 times as long for the same load of 13 seconds to happen on a mechanical drive (regardless of 5400 or 7200RPM).

Smallform Gaming

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2016

*After installing the 9.5mm blower fan over my GPU I have some doubts that you could stuff something 15mm thick over the GPU card without modifications. Maybe ask some others who have used 12mm thick fans etc...

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
*After installing the 9.5mm blower fan over my GPU I have some doubts that you could stuff something 15mm thick over the GPU card without modifications. Maybe ask some others who have used 12mm thick fans etc...

Someone has fit a NZXT HUE+ in their S4 Mini in the 2.5" drive bracket, and it's allegedly 23.5mm tall. I do believe Josh said a mod was required, though.

Reactions: CubanLegend

Brandon86

Trash Compacter
Feb 15, 2017
I see the bezels and plates up for sale on the website! I can't wait to order one of these cases and start stockpiling parts for a ryzen build.
My question is directed at Josh from NFC. I know that you only have so many bezels available as stated in previous posts, so my question is:

Will you make the bezel an option when ordering the pre-orders when March 1st rolls around until you run out of bezels? I really want this case and the bezel to make sure I can fit a 1080 mini or maybe the MSI 1080 (if it's same dimensions) when it comes out.

I would just rather not buy a bezel separate now, and pay shipping etc. Twice when I'm going to buy a case on pre-order day as well.
Please advise! And I truly love what you've been able to do in such a small form factor. Cannot wait to order and support you moving forward!

Reactions: CubanLegend

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I see the bezels and plates up for sale on the website! I can't wait to order one of these cases and start stockpiling parts for a ryzen build.
My question is directed at Josh from NFC. I know that you only have so many bezels available as stated in previous posts, so my question is:

Will you make the bezel an option when ordering the pre-orders when March 1st rolls around until you run out of bezels? I really want this case and the bezel to make sure I can fit a 1080 mini or maybe the MSI 1080 (if it's same dimensions) when it comes out.

I would just rather not buy a bezel separate now, and pay shipping etc. Twice when I'm going to buy a case on pre-order day as well.
Please advise! And I truly love what you've been able to do in such a small form factor. Cannot wait to order and support you moving forward!

THANK YOU for your support!

TL;DR

I am leaving for a business trip tomorrow and I don't have even 10% of what I need to have ready for March 1st. Guess when I get back? March 1st...

What I can say is DON'T STRESS IT! When March 1st rolls around, only order what I have that you want. I have to make everything anyways, so you can always add stuff to your order before it ships! Even if I have to build you a custom invoice.

I expect the MINIs to start shipping in mid/late June. By then I will have the 3D bezels and you can just choose one you like and email me to put it on your order.

PEACE

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
@zovc I actually really like the Gigabyte 1070 mini. It is a really well build card and I like the PCB. It does not feel budget like some other 1070s. It just has hot components on the backside. I've started putting slim fans on the backside of the the PCB (because I only use M.2 in customer builds) and it stays much cooler now.

@Josh | NFC

Is that S4 Mini Imgur album public? If so can we get a link please?

Which one?

This one?

Anyone with the 1080 mini, what's the length of the card without the shroud and heatsink?

Installed about 7 1/8"

Last edited:

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
@zovc I actually really like the Gigabyte 1070 mini. It is a really well build card and I like the PCB. It does not feel budget like some other 1070s. It just has hot components on the backside. I've started putting slim fans on the backside of the the PCB (because I only use M.2 in customer builds) and it stays much cooler now.

Which one?

This one?

Installed about 7 1/8"
That's be the one. The Z270I in that case is phenomenal.

LodisKnight

W Flyer
Dec 23, 2016
factorgaming.net

Any idea what I'm to expect when you say "much cooler?" Just wondering what I'm in store for. I ordered an additional CPU fan bracket from you for another 120mm scythe on the back of my Gigabyte GTX 1070 Mini. Constant ambient of 20c and I get 66c stabilized on full load in Unigine Heaven 4.0 after over an hour.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
I know this is a shot in the dark... is there any way to mod the DV-I outs on the card to be HDMI or DisplayPort?

Like, what's the deal with DV-I on cards meant for gaming in 2017?

LodisKnight

W Flyer
Dec 23, 2016
factorgaming.net
I know this is a shot in the dark... is there any way to mod the DV-I outs on the card to be HDMI or DisplayPort?

Like, what's the deal with DV-I on cards meant for gaming in 2017?
Through some expert soldering and repinning you may be able to get a signal through those means, but the number of pins on each is different, so you would have to look at schematics, diagrams, etc. May want to just look into getting an adapter. All three are digital signals (non-analog) so you wouldn't need an active adapter to convert the signal, passive will do just fine. Keep in mind, DisplayPort and HDMI carry an digital audio signal as well, while DV-I does not.

Reactions: zovc

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
@Josh | NFC How close is the tip of the fan to the front of the vent plate? Would it be possible to leave a little bit more on the fan guard so that a thin piece connects both sides? Or if not, just leave slightly more length on the fan guard so that if the 1080 does move slightly the guard hits the edge of the case and not the fan?

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017

I could live with not using 2.5" drives, but one of the main reasons I was considering using the bracket is because my motherboard doesn't have a RGB controller built into it. Someone suggested the NZXT Hue+ in the 2.5" bracket, and I figured I'd toss a 2.5" drive in the other slot because there would be space for it.

Would I be able to put a fan over a Gigabyte 1070 AND fit the NZXT Hue+ in the case somewhere? Is there a more space-efficient alternative to the NZXT Hue+?

Also, @Josh | NFC, it sounds like you're busy with your business trip so this is probably a no-go. If I'm about to order the GALAX 1070, I wouldn't mind having it sent to you first for you to compare it to your tests on the Gigabyte. I've been "roughing it" on my 750 Ti for this long so another week or two wouldn't really kill me. I've been enjoying League and Eternal and they run well enough on what I've got.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Some guy did a youtube performance review and overclocking the ZOTAC 1080 mini against a 2.5 slot GALAX HOF 1080. Spoiler: The ZOTAC actually beat it in overclockability (over 2100Mhz core) and in some benchmarks too. But while the ZOTAC ran at 65c the GALAX HOF ran at 43c.
Someone has fit a NZXT HUE+ in their S4 Mini in the 2.5" drive bracket, and it's allegedly 23.5mm tall. I do believe Josh said a mod was required, though.
Ooooh! .... What was the Mod for this @Josh | NFC ? I'm thinking of just putting the 5TB 15mm drive on the SSD bracket thats closest to the front panel, so if it touches the 1080min's backplate the card can maybe have some bend or give to it to fit it? Mayyyybe? Idk, we'll see... I'm crazy so it might work.

Welcome! It's lovely seeing more people interested in the S4 mini now that the 1080mini can fit inside fairly easily, and with bezel options. Way to go, Josh!
@Josh | NFC How close is the tip of the fan to the front of the vent plate? Would it be possible to leave a little bit more on the fan guard so that a thin piece connects both sides? Or if not, just leave slightly more length on the fan guard so that if the 1080 does move slightly the guard hits the edge of the case and not the fan?

Check the imgur album linked above,This one. There's a pic in there of the 1080mini poking out of the 5mm frosted-acrylic bezel Josh used.

Which one?

This one?

Installed about 7 1/8"
Wow Josh! I hadn't seen that album in full yet, it makes me love my case even more! You should link to it somewhere in your main post in this thread. Or on your site on the main page or S4 mini page. Everyone should get to see your craftsmanship in fitting that 1080mini inside there. :)

Reactions: FoskcoRS5