S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The problem with those battery packs is that none of them (I've checked) will run at a high enough wattage to power a VR type of system. If you look at the one you linked, it's 20V, 3A max which is only 60W - way short of what will run an S4. I am currently working on a VR project and will be custom doing the batteries (really hoping to get my hands on a set of Elon's new 2170s) and power solution. Luckily for me, one of our members used to do portable power systems for military wearables and is keen to help out.

Reactions: Curiosity

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
The Vagabond MINI systems are amazing and I use them to power PCs at shows. They can handle large bursts fine (they are designed to power ION CANNON strobes).

Plus they have MINI in the name, and, well, I'm partial to that.

However, definitely go for the EXTREME if you don't mind the extra weight. More running time.

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
I want to buy one of those bezels but I just bough a bunch of sffn swag, guess I'll have to wait til march aha

Yes, you can. However, you will have to deal with a slight interference with the GPU bracket tab, as well (nothing that can't be overcome).
maybe slot load?

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
Slot loading or just notch off the lower right corner of the face of the tray. That is just there for aesthetics...nothing physically requiring it to be there.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Apparently I can't set individual shipping prices per item...and that's after paying for the $300 plan.

I need like an eBay storefront or something, I dunno. I don't want to hand build invoices anymore, but I need a way to set shipping costs per item.

Reactions: Phuncz

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
The Vagabond MINI systems are amazing and I use them to power PCs at shows. They can handle large bursts fine (they are designed to power ION CANNON strobes).

Plus they have MINI in the name, and, well, I'm partial to that.

However, definitely go for the EXTREME if you don't mind the extra weight. More running time.
What kind of wattage maximum should I expect to be able to pull from one of these as Kmpkt said? Any problems while also using a graphics card?

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
While nothing in the spec sheet says for certain what the maximum output is, it is 120V and there is a 30A fuse on board. I am imagining that this unit will handle system burst easily. The one thing to consider is that the mini is rated at a mere 130 watt hours which would probably net you around 30 minutes of use on a 250W system draw. The larger unit is only good for about 20% longer looking at the spec sheet.

hat1324

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 28, 2015
Apparently I can't set individual shipping prices per item...and that's after paying for the $300 plan.

I need like an eBay storefront or something, I dunno. I don't want to hand build invoices anymore, but I need a way to set shipping costs per item.

Shame that SquareSpace decided that per-product shipping rules weren't important. Maybe it's time to scratch build a website and add Braintree and EasyPost integration yourself :p

lhl

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2015
Crazy question, I did a quick search for "battery" on this thread and nothing really came up. What is the feasability, of making a bettery powered S4 Mini with at least the i7 7700T? I have found a couple of these battery packs on amazon meant for laptop charging (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YP823NA/?tag=theminutiae-20) that might work, but I don't know enough about power draw or system peak levels and draw to know if such a thing would be able to power an HDPlex of some wattage. Thanks!

Not so crazy to me. :) You can read the thread linked, but I also did polish up the battery-power guide into a single standalone blog post as well. I include descriptions (and further reading) on just about all the stuff you need to know in terms of current/power, etc.

lhl

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2015
lhl has amazing information on this. If you want to get fancy. If you want something easy...just buy a Vagabond Lithium from Paul C Buff. I would link you, but THAT'S ILLEGAL NOW. :p

I lurve me some Paul C Buff gear (have bought/gone through literally dozens of ABR800s :) and the Vagabond does look like an easy (plug and play)! solution, but DC-AC-DC conversion just seems so wrong to me, and besides the efficiency, it also means that if you're traveling or carrying this around, you're lugging around two extra huge power supplies (probably like 5lb) of electronics that are just completely unnecessary.

BTW, while I recommend bare RC/drone batteries for the best bang/buck, you can probably simply buy a Vagabond VLX spare battery to hook up - these are approved for air travel, which is nice, you just need to sort out a barrel jack connector. (a 24V 6.6Ah ebike/scooter battery should technically be travel-safe (<160Wh) if approved as well)

Last edited:

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Can you travel with multiple <160WH batteries if they're in separate bags by chance?

nox

Average Stuffer
Feb 10, 2017
what you really need are some pretty hefty advances in induction charging, a pair of shoes with some coils in the bottom and and big mat you can plug in to the wall. :D

nox

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Hey! I'm starting to finalize my parts list for my S4 Mini build, and I think it's time for me to order my video card.

I shuffled around some hardware and promised someone the case I had my server with gaming VMs in... long story short, I ended up not being able to fit my GTX 980 in the case I migrated my hardware to which was a stupid mistake on my part and I didn't want to put my friend out over it. So, I've been getting by gaming on a GTX 750 Ti for a few weeks and while the card always impresses me, it's no 980.

Anyways, I'd like to order or at least figure out if there's a card I should be waiting for to eventually use in a S4 Mini. I understand the 1060 is, roughly, on par with the 980 in terms of performance and would probably be content with it. Of course I like the idea of upgrading, though. Currently I have 3 monitors in my office at home, they all support 1080p @ 144Hz, and they can actually be run out-of-spec in 1440p or 2160p through Nvidia's drivers with my 980. I'm considering DIY-ing some laptop monitors into portable LAN monitors, and it seems like I'm most likely going to have to utilize HDMI with those. 3x DisplayPort is preferable on the card, because I feel like it's the superior format, but I think I need at least 2x HDMI.

Anyways, here are my few questions:
  • Are there any AMD cards worth considering for an S4 Mini build? Has anyone actually gotten the R9 Nano stable on a power brick? I remember that being an issue.
  • Are there any cards above the 1060 that can run in the S4 Mini without needing to significantly mod the case? I'm a little bit handy and have more handy people I can ask for hands-on help, but I just don't think I'd be able to make stuff look pretty the first time around. I'd also have to buy or borrow tools.
  • The Gigabyte 1070 runs fairly hot in the case, yes? Has anyone done any troubleshooting on why that is? Would any amount of tuning allow the card to run above a 1060 in terms of performance, but still keep things safe and cool?
  • This is not related to GPUs, but where can I learn more about M.2 drives and are there any reliable sites that compare them? Most articles I have found just arbitrarily list a few drives they like for 'reasons' without any stats.
  • Are there any large capacity 2.5" HDDs that are actually reliable and nice pieces of hardware? Is there any reliable 2.5" storage drive that has ~2TB of storage that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Reactions: CubanLegend